Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2016, 18:33   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross

Second service( ~ 5k km) was due ( almost ) , in addition to the regular checks changed the engine oil and filters. Filled with the same grade of oil and will go synthetic post 10k kms.

Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160123_092823.jpg

Total time taken at Service centre ~ 4 hr, instructed specifically not clean interiors nor any 3M , as I do them at regular 3M care centers.

Good thing is they allow you to see and experience all that they do in the car.

Nexa Cars have allotted receiving area, dedicated bays and trained personnel to handle them.

Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-1.jpg
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-2.jpg
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-3.jpg
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-3.1.jpg

Overall service experience would rate as 4 in a scale of 5.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 20:32   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the charge incurred on the engine oil change. next change is planned at 10K km.
The dealer was reluctant to change at 5K, but ultimately relented.
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160209_083247.jpg

Update at 5.5Km and 5 months of ownership.
- Great ride in city ( primarily) in Bangalore traffic, drives like a hatch
- Astonishing mileage ( did not consider this while buying)
- Build is fantastic ( though not in league with the German build)

Glitch
- Clock in Smartplay needs to be set in GPS mode only else it will go erratic.

Best Mileage so far- Fuel only from SHELL
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160210_162711.jpg

Current Average,
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160210_180640.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 09:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Best Mileage so far- Fuel only from SHELL
Hey volkman10, are you sure you did not mix up the dials/readings from a bike like may be a KTM or something??

I know these numbers do vary slightly in the real world but Best of 27 kmpl and an average of 23 kmpl is a total

Like the white petrol used in aviation industry, are you by any chance using some sort of white diesel ?? LOL

I have been spotting a lot of S-cross of late and not sure if the re-pricing did the trick, but the 1.6s have surely increased in number. Personally, I just hate that headlights on the Alpha (?) variants where those projectors look like an after thought. Maruti must have blacked out the reflectors to give a meaner/cleaner look.

Even the latest D-Zires have a blacked out headlight assembly !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 11th February 2016 at 09:49.
Vik0728 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 09:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hey volkman10, are you sure you did not mix up the dials/readings from a bike like may be a KTM or something??
LOL - am not into these FE numbers as the other car (VW) gives me a 'not- so bad' FE ( 15km/l), but the S Cross is in a league of its own. Was wondering if any 'Cheat' is involved
But then the other users too confirm a mileage of 20+, so it seems inherent in S Cross.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 00:16   #80
BHPian

Lot of VW owners buying s cross. Having driven a polo and Vento, need your inputs on the switch. Any regrets, etc. I love the build, high speed manners, fit , paint of the Vento. If made a switch, would these be missed and how much. I don't like cars rattling. And even after four years the Vento is well put together even after some abuse. Can the same be said for s cross ? Pls share views on the same. Can't afford a Jetta and don't wanna buy a Vento again thus looking around too. Share views pls.
Old 20th February 2016, 14:02   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Lot of VW owners buying s cross. Having driven a polo and Vento, need your inputs on the switch. Any regrets, etc. ---- Share views pls.
Here it is, me too initially was considering the Vento (but retaining the Polo), but with the German reliability playing twice ( once the famous drum brake not releasing issue and another not reported yet) have decided not to have two German cars in the garage.

Coming to the comparison, the plus points of the German(Polo 1.6P) when compared to the Japanese S Cross (DDiS200)
- Solid built, unmatched fit and finish
- Top notch paint Quality

Having chosen the S Cross with reliability being the main criteria (have seen the international S Cross earlier) here are some views after driving it past 5.5k km, as compared to the Polo.

- Build quality is good compared to any Maruti standards but far away from the Germans. No rattles but the door and panels seem lighter. Sound insulation seem poor as it creeps into the cabin ( not sure of the Vento TDI, though).
- Great handler in both in city and highways(at permissible speed limit)
- More European than Japanese in ride quality, cornering , etc.
- Phenomenal FE
- All Disc Brakes- a great plus point

Having said that, I will (hopefully)always have one German and one Japanese car. It is always risky to have both German considering they have not mastered the art of giving a trouble free ownership ( both with the car as well as their after service experience)
Since the intend of the S Cross, when purchased was a near 100% city driving was /is happy with going for the DDiS200.

However choose your priority and go for the DDiS320 if it suits you. The DDiS 320 is miles ahead on highways as compared to any cars in its segment.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 18:01   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Since the intend of the S Cross, when purchased was a near 100% city driving was /is happy with going for the DDiS200.
You said it right. Purpose of vehicle is important. I already have a second jap (brio) in garage and was able to pick it since was clear that it will never see a highway, ever!! However, this being a replacement of my primary vehicle, it's difficult to look past VW and if i do, then need to be very clear with reasons.
Btw, tried the creta and to my surprise, am liking the car. Let's see where I end. One thought is also to replace brio with a new car. And fortunately, my experience with VWs so far has been trouble free. Touchwood ..
Old 24th February 2016, 13:35   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed the 6k km ( 5 months of ownership) and the car is great and nothing unusual to report.
The drive as daily commute, the suspension, the build ( minute vibration on window glass at times when glass in mid position) and the bonus of an exceptional FE .

Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160224_105853.jpg

Impressed by the S Cross and influence of a BHP-ian, 2 colleagues join the S Cross club!
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160222_154210.jpg
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160224_095137.jpg

And for me- gets some Nexa points( referral) - not sure what can be done with it!
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160223_182959.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th February 2016 at 13:50.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 15:22   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And for me- gets some Nexa points( referral) - not sure what can be done with it!
You can use nexa points during service or when you purchase accessories. 1 nexa point is equivalent to 70 paisa. I think you get 1400 points for referral. We own a baleno and have booked S cross 1.3 zeta yesterday . Baleno is registered in dad's name and he got 1400 points in Nexa card for referring me to buy S cross
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 12:30   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

At ~7 months having the S Cross the ODO reading at 7421 km, a bit low ( was on travel for a couple of weeks) but justifies having moved to diesel

The Crossover with its understated looks draws prospective customers ( at office) -We now have in the parking now 4 S Cross's, 2 Baleno's and 1 Creta - Advantage in S Cross is its interiors and dash layout!

Got the customary gift from Nexa in the form of a desktop calendar in a neat packing, by courier.

Smartplay needs to be kept super clean devoid of any dust, lest it will not respond - faced that once.

Here is the FE, the worst in the busy Bangalore traffic today,

Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-20160415_103213.jpg

The Nexa compliment,

Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-1.jpg
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-2.jpg
Above the Ordinary : My Crossover, the Maruti S-Cross-3.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 17:16   #86
BHPian

Hi Volkman,

A great ownership report. Thank you.

I am a prospective S-Cross buyer with a lot of priority towards suspension while seated at back seats as the car will be mostly driven in city limits. My present ride Liva diesel is at times quite bouncy on concrete road that are not paved properly. Most of the time the car will be between 25 to 60 km/hr. Do you have any comments about the suspension at back in SCross compared to the germans like Polo/Vento as you own one?
Old 28th April 2016, 18:18   #87
BHPian

Quote:
LOL - am not into these FE numbers as the other car (VW) gives me a 'not- so bad' FE ( 15km/l), but the S Cross is in a league of its own. Was wondering if any 'Cheat' is involved
But then the other users too confirm a mileage of 20+, so it seems inherent in S Cross.
How do you drive to get those efficiency figures? Did it improve over time from purchase onwards?

U plan to move to synthetic post 10k, which one are yo planning to use? 5w30 seems rare to find.
Old 28th April 2016, 20:11   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
I am a prospective S-Cross buyer with a lot of priority towards suspension while seated at back seats as the car will be mostly driven in city limits. -------- Most of the time the car will be between 25 to 60 km/hr. Do you have any comments about the suspension at back in SCross compared to the germans like Polo/Vento as you own one?
S Cross as you have noticed in most reviews drives and handles in a more European manner than Japanese. Ride and mature handling ( have repeated many times) are the top USP's of this crossover.
In city limits in the initial speeds mentioned by you due to the turbo lag, you will need to get adjusted in its gear shifts.
The suspension is a bit stiff in city conditions and it is a lot like European cars. High speed ride quality is excellent and the car remains absolutely flat, ironing out all of the road imperfections.
Nonetheless, ride quality isn't disturbing nor does it have the suspension crashing through bad sections of the road.
Like any Crossover when pushed to its limits there is a bit of body roll but well contained and not alarming

The car is very stable also when doing permissible 3 digit speeds on highways with 4 on board and with a little bit more than normal luggage.

Please take an extensive TD before deciding on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
How do you drive to get those efficiency figures? Did it improve over time from purchase onwards?

U plan to move to synthetic post 10k, which one are yo planning to use? 5w30 seems rare to find.
In the initial period till~ 500 km the average fuel economy figures were ~ 16 -17 km/L . Post that it was always not less than 20+ km/L in normal traffic conditions.
If you are in the ~1900 /2000 rpm ( ~ 75-80 km/h) is where the FE figures would be the best after which it would taper down when pushed further. This is where the DDiS200 excels in city driving conditions.

Intend to move to synthetic oil post 10k km. I doubt its non availability as when I changed the oil at 5k km they( Service Center) had given the option of Synthetic though I stuck to Mineral oil.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 21:28   #89
BHPian

Quote:
In the initial period till~ 500 km the average fuel economy figures were ~ 16 -17 km/L . Post that it was always not less than 20+ km/L in normal traffic conditions.
If you are in the ~1900 /2000 rpm ( ~ 75-80 km/h) is where the FE figures would be the best after which it would taper down when pushed further. This is where the DDiS200 excels in city driving conditions.

Intend to move to synthetic oil post 10k km. I doubt its non availability as when I changed the oil at 5k km they( Service Center) had given the option of Synthetic though I stuck to Mineral oil.
Should I expect it to go over 20 then eventually. Most people get that. How does it return same as swift with higher weight and power?

I would suggest you buy engine oils yourself. Go for better brands like Shell or Mobil. Don't know which Maruti provides.
Old 28th April 2016, 21:39   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Should I expect it to go over 20 then eventually. Most people get that. How does it return same as swift with higher weight and power?
DDiS200 is of a VGT configuration in both S Cross and Vitara Brezza and is tuned differently. Swift engine is of FGT configuration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks