Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2018, 08:45   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
You have a car towards which you have put in a lot of effort to preserve its originality. Putting in wheels that don't belong with the car and with those awful looking wheel covers will spoil the efforts you have been putting in till now.
Actually he's been making small but interesting mods with accessories that were fitted on the same model overseas or by MSIL for export markets. For e.g. the rear windshield wiper. So this isn't a stock car but one that has been 'enhanced' or upgraded to a better trim level. It his to his credit that he insists on Suzuki or OEM supplier parts for these mods. Shashi has an insane amount of devotion to this car..and beats my OCD for cars by a mile.

From my POV this is not a regular run-of-the-mill M800 but a very special one. My fondness for this particular car model (introduced in '83 when I was a jr. college brat) and Shashi's devotion to the vehicle draws me to this thread.

Quote:
@R2D2 - this is sacrilege! How could you??
LOL! Reading this made me chuckle.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 09:14   #467
Senior - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Dear Shashi,

In my humble opinion, the original wheels suited the car much better. If at all you want a change in the looks, please see if you can source a set of MGA alloy wheels for the 800.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-2a2b4ffae45144905863ac78af684a21__1.jpg
Viju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 09:35   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Actually he's been making small but interesting mods with accessories that were fitted on the same model overseas or by MSIL for export markets.
True, but he has always stayed true to an 800 and the modification is also that as done by the factory for 800's not that of any other model.

Quote:
LOL! Reading this made me chuckle.
Its something in a velvet glove ..forget what it is..
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 09:50   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have a car towards which you have put in a lot of effort to preserve its originality. Putting in wheels that don't belong with the car and with those awful looking wheel covers will spoil the efforts you have been putting in till now.

Wheels are a major part of the personality of a car and tells you within seconds whether a car is an original or not.

Modifying a car is relatively easy and there are several ways one can go about it but preserving the originality of an earlier model is a skill and an art. Please don't spoil your efforts in this manner.

Once you have tampered with the originality your car is just like every other 800 on the road and would lose its uniqueness.

Please throw those wheels away and stick to the original.
Quote:
Actually he's been making small but interesting mods with accessories that were fitted on the same model overseas or by MSIL for export markets. For e.g. the rear windshield wiper. So this isn't a stock car but one that has been 'enhanced' or upgraded to a better trim level. It his to his credit that he insists on Suzuki or OEM supplier parts for these mods. Shashi has an insane amount of devotion to this car..and beats my OCD for cars by a mile.

From my POV this is not a regular run-of-the-mill M800 but a very special one. My fondness for this particular car model (introduced in '83 when I was a jr. college brat) and Shashi's devotion to the vehicle draws me to this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Dear Shashi,

In my humble opinion, the original wheels suited the car much better. If at all you want a change in the looks, please see if you can source a set of MGA alloy wheels for the 800.
Thanks gentlemen for your suggestions. While few people have liked the wheel cover addition, a lot more have been extremely vocal about it, even on whatsapp. I am grateful to every single one of them for showering so much love and care on my thread. If ratio is taken, it stands at around 2:5 for people who have liked it, to people who have disliked it.

I never wished to tamper with the original looks of the car. Hence even now I have the silver rims with me. I can revert back to the old looks whenever I wish, and let me assure you, it will be soon.

Call it my lack of imagination, I always thought this wheel cap plus black rims combo would look good on my car, until the day I actually installed it. That is why I have been asking for suggestions and views.

I have been discussing this with close friend and BHPian ChiranjitP since months, who recently went with the same combo on his Zen. That actually looked good to me, hence I also took the plunge. But I guess it has something to do with the shade of my car, that it's not looking as I was expecting it to.

BHPian ChiranjitP's 2002 Zen:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20180611wa0167.jpg

Thanks again for your replies. The silver look will come back soon.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Regarding Alloy wheels: The pic presented above on the Blue car is just for representation purposes. 800 never got such alloys even in MGA. This is the alloy wheel which M800 got as MGA:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20180519wa0067.jpg

It was manufactured by Aura wheels, and that company is now defunct. Hence no option in MGA now.
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 10:32   #470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True, but he has always stayed true to an 800 and the modification is also that as done by the factory for 800's not that of any other model.
The rims are the same specs. The only difference between the 2 is the colour black for the Zen and silver for the M800..and of course possibly different part #s.

Quote:
Its something in a velvet glove ..forget what it is
LOL again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I never wished to tamper with the original looks of the car. Hence even now I have the silver rims with me. I can revert back to the old looks whenever I wish, and let me assure you, it will be soon.
Shashi, my car is more or less the same color. With the exception of the ICE the car is stock in every other way. There are times when I feel like having the stock 5 spoke Enkei wheels painted in gunmetal (or e.g. here ) as it would be a nice (IMO) contrast to the light gold colour.

But I resist only because I don't am not sure if I'll like it in the long term or if the blokes will do a good enough paint job. You're lucky you got a wheel with factory colour as an option.
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:22   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rims are the same specs. The only difference between the 2 is the colour black for the Zen and silver for the M800..and of course possibly different part #s.
Actually no. The 800 comes with 4BX12 rims whereas the zen came with 4JX12 rims. The zen has a higher profile tyre - 145/80/12 whereas the OE size for the 800 is 145/70/12.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 14:49   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually no. The 800 comes with 4BX12 rims whereas the zen came with 4JX12 rims. The zen has a higher profile tyre - 145/80/12 whereas the OE size for the 800 is 145/70/12.
Just a correction Sir. The Zen rims which I have purchased has 4BX12 written on it, same as in 800. The offset is also same as M800 rims.

While we are at it, can you kindly explain me the meaning of these terms 4J, 4B,5J etc?? I have asked it in past in some other thread but couldn't get a proper answer.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 16:20   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While we are at it, can you kindly explain me the meaning of these terms 4J, 4B,5J etc?? I have asked it in past in some other thread but couldn't get a proper answer.
Here you go Shashi. Wheel sizes explained
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 16:42   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
kindly explain me the meaning of these terms 4J, 4B,5J etc??
To add to what R2D2 has posted, this letter represents the shape of the wheel where the tyre bead meets it. The difference between a J and B is negligible and that's why the tyres can be interchanged. As you can see from the link, some of the tyres cannot obviously be interchanged.

The theory behind how these categories have been arrived at is pretty long drawn and hence very boring.

They have broken down the rim into various sections and have specified various codes to describe the geometric pattern of each section. A "J" wheel for instance is defined as "Category - Code 10 to code 26" - this means it comprises 16 sections that conform to a particular geometric pattern - just to give you an idea of the first level of complexity. There is more but you (and everyone else) will get bored going through it.

The easiest thing to remember is this - the shape of the wheel where the tyre meets it. That is more than enough for us as customers.

Last edited by AMG Power : 5th July 2018 at 17:08.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2018, 18:35   #475
BHPian

Shashi , firstly I must say you've done an awesome job with your car .

I've owned a Neptune Blue Maruti 800 AcTg 1996-2004.

I had gone to Vitesse in Mumbai and fitted the original parcel tray from them .

This was present in the parts catalogue .

Unlike the alto where the brackets were already present in the trim of the boot to mount the parcel tray , the kit for the 800 came with brackets to install in the boot via screws .

And then mount the tray on them .

This was because the 800 did not have the trim in the boot to support the parcel tray .

This was available as an entire kit from Mga .

I had placed an order and they had to order the kit .

It took a few days to come . Installation was done by them .

Cheers !
Ankush .
anky is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 16:28   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Great.

The light quality if you want to see on T4.2 is as below as was installed in my Innova. I had got blue LED ones. You have quite a few colour options there.
LED Update, I received the LEDs from Aliexpress Day-Before-Yesterday.
Fixed the same in Illuminator Assembly and voila it worked.
Thanks buddy

Quote:
Updates:

Always wanted to check out how Zen Facelift's wheelcaps would look on my car. Got black Zen rims(same design and specs as 800, but black in color for VXI) .

I am not sure if it is an improvement or a degrade, so do pitch in with your suggestions if I should retain it, or remove it. BHPian Sumit Sinha is furious and he liked my old silver rims more.

Regards,
Shashi
Dear Shashi,

I quite liked the Wheel Caps, on the contrary. I would also like to try the same in my Car.
Can you share the part number for Wheel Caps.
Is It: 43250M74F00 ?

Please confirm.

regards,
Sanjeev
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 22:55   #477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
I quite liked the Wheel Caps, on the contrary. I would also like to try the same in my Car.
Can you share the part number for Wheel Caps.
Is It: 43250M74F00 ?
Yes.

But it looks very bad with silver wheels.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 05:59   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: Regarding Alloy wheels: The pic presented above on the Blue car is just for representation purposes. 800 never got such alloys even in MGA. This is the alloy wheel which M800 got as MGA:
It was manufactured by Aura wheels, and that company is now defunct. Hence no option in MGA now.
A photo of similar wheels on my Alto. These were OEM Santro wheels which I painted and put the Suzuki Centre.

Quote:
But it looks very bad with silver wheels.
Also a Pic of the original silver wheels with wheel caps when the car was new.
Attached Thumbnails
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-32187293_10156440883988833_5710309489916248064_n.jpg  

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-11072009197.jpg  

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img_20180303_110335.jpg  

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img_20180306_175929.jpg  

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img_20180315_164922.jpg  

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20180302wa0039.jpg  

pedrolourenco is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 18:10   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
A photo of similar wheels on my Alto. These were OEM Santro wheels which I painted and put the Suzuki Centre.
The Alloys look Good!!.
And, are exactly similar to MGA ones which Shashi attached.
Santro Size must be 13" right ?

Did you face any issues with upsizing in terms of tyres touching wheel well & any other suspension related premature wear & tear ?

regards,
Sanjeev
Old 8th July 2018, 18:46   #480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Did you face any issues with upsizing in terms of tyres touching wheel well & any other suspension related premature wear & tear ?
Altos take 13 inches very easily, unlike M800s.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks