Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2016, 10:48   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Trucking in my Atlantis! My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT

Sorry about your damage. Somehow I am not convinced with Toyota charging 10 X premium over the market glass that too produced from the same manufacturer that Toyota uses as OE supplier. Please do check again whenever you go at the service station.I may be totally wrong but this will certainly clear the image that most of we guys carry about Toyota being fair on pricing spares . One of my friends was telling me something similar where a common suspension part of Innova and fortuner is priced at difference of 4 X - Innova being cheaper - both carried different part numbers but are exactly same.

Quote:
First thing burglars do IMO is the shut down the CCTV someway or damage it or put something in its front view to make it ineffective,
I will discount this as hearsay, House cameras are normally mounted on main and side/ rear house walls at a height of 8-10 Ft and most of the houses will have a front boundary wall / gate. So the approach to these cameras is not easy . Even if there is no front wall or gate, given the wide angle and HD range of these whosoever tries to damage these will get recorded surely. CP Plus is one brand that we have used and works fine. Given the competition in this segment you can have a full setup with DVR / HDD and 5-6 HD cameras at 20-25K if I remember correctly from last installation,

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th July 2016 at 11:13.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 11:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
First thing burglars do IMO is the shut down the CCTV someway or damage it or put something in its front view to make it ineffective, unless the camera is stealth and not easily visible. This is coming from local feedback I received yesterday. So not sure how effective this would actually be, but I will get this done anyway. I am also looking for other options like hiring a private guard for our house for night duties. I don't mind paying a couple of grands on monthly basis for safety of my belongings. Let's see how it turns out.
No No, Don't place the CCTV in view offcourse, There are several very tiny black colored cameras which blends in the environment very well, Also make sure its out of reach as much as possible, Private guard are always a bonus.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 12:04   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Sorry about your damage. Somehow I am not convinced with Toyota charging 10 X premium over the market glass that too produced from the same manufacturer that Toyota uses as OE supplier. Please do check again whenever you go at the service station.I may be totally wrong but this will certainly clear the image that most of we guys carry about Toyota being fair on pricing spares . One of my friends was telling me something similar where a common suspension part of Innova and fortuner is priced at difference of 4 X - Innova being cheaper - both carried different part numbers but are exactly same.
I agree, service and spares anyway are the areas where any dealership mints large chunk of profits. I am yet to see the official list price of the replaced glass, however since both Uttam and MGF dealerships quoted me similar prices, I am guessing it is indeed listed with a big premium by Toyota. Will re-confirm with them next time I am visiting dealership.

Having said that, I do have a habit of checking spare prices with my aftermarket sources before replacement and I was very delightfully surprised to hear the actual price of the glass. Benefits of having a very well sold product with excellent aftermarket support I guess. Saved myself some cash there!

Quote:
I will discount this as hearsay, House cameras are normally mounted on main and side/ rear house walls at a height of 8-10 Ft and most of the houses will have a front boundary wall / gate. So the approach to these cameras is not easy . Even if there is no front wall or gate, given the wide angle and HD range of these whosoever tries to damage these will get recorded surely. CP Plus is one brand that we have used and works fine. Given the competition in this segment you can have a full setup with DVR / HDD and 5-6 HD cameras at 20-25K if I remember correctly from last installation,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
No No, Don't place the CCTV in view offcourse, There are several very tiny black colored cameras which blends in the environment very well, Also make sure its out of reach as much as possible, Private guard are always a bonus.
with both of you and I am looking at reliable brands like CP Plus only. Will get the installation done without delay.
Old 16th August 2016, 18:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

A quick glimpse of a recently concluded epic drive!

Ace F355 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 19:21   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A quick glimpse of a recently concluded epic drive
Looks you guys had fun, coming to the way you guys pulled Safari, is it Ok to pull a struck car this way? Don't you feel that Fortuner would have suffered some very high Jerk loads and stresses? I don't have much experience or knowledge but would it not have been better to use maybe another vehicle alongside Fortuner if available or even try to remove lose gravel and put something solid like stone or wooden planks under rotating tyres?

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th August 2016 at 19:23.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 11:49   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks you guys had fun
Yes it was fun.

Quote:
Coming to the way you guys pulled Safari, is it Ok to pull a struck car this way? Don't you feel that Fortuner would have suffered some very high Jerk loads and stresses?
This recovery would have been wrong technique it was with steel cables, the jerks would have damaged both the cars. With the nylon straps(rated 5000kgs for vertical loads) this was the only way out, nylon ropes store energy and act like elastics so they store energy and dampen the jerk. Did you observe, even the surface below the Fortuner was slippery, so getting the jerk was the only way out.

Easiest would have been to winch out but the winch was somehow not working.

Only thing wrong here was the way 2 nylon tow ropes were connected(directly through shackles).
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 12:13   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks you guys had fun
You bet!

Quote:
coming to the way you guys pulled Safari, is it Ok to pull a struck car this way? Don't you feel that Fortuner would have suffered some very high Jerk loads and stresses? I don't have much experience or knowledge but would it not have been better to use maybe another vehicle alongside Fortuner if available or even try to remove lose gravel and put something solid like stone or wooden planks under rotating tyres?
Fortuner and Safari both are solid axle vehicles and such jerks are unlikely to have any potential bad impact on them since we were using chassis mounted recovery points on both vehicles. Although I will still say it is always better to have an additional recovery point in your vehicle that is properly rated for additional stress. Had it been a Monocoque, we would have avoided using severe and excessive jerks.

Re the recovery technique, well there are 2 ways to look at it.

Generally, it isn't recommended to use snatch straps to recover a vehicle that is very heavily bogged down. Too stressful for snatch straps! Winching or using shovel are better options, even better are traction boards like Maxtrax. However, we only had snatch straps with us and had to do with it since my winch wasn't functional (need to get it serviced).

If you look closely, Fortuner is sinking while recovering the Safari, so we needed to be careful not to have both vehicles stuck at the same time. Also, we realized that we need higher rated snatch straps since one of them gave way during recovery (see video at 2.25).

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-strap.jpg

Also, IMO better recovery would have been possible from the front since first gear of Low range transfer case is always more effective than reverse. However, it wasn't possible in our case due to flowing river and we had to recover Safari using reverse. Another way could have been lowering the tire pressure of Fortuner and increase the surface contact area to get better traction. Either way we managed to get the Safari unstuck in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Only thing wrong here was the way 2 nylon tow ropes were connected(directly through shackles).
Agree! Although if you remember we connected both strap's eyes using one shackle only in between rather than using both shackles. However, even that doesn't take away the fact that a flying shackle can be really deadly and need to be careful with it.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 17th August 2016 at 12:19. Reason: additional quotation
Ace F355 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 21:12   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree! Although if you remember we connected both strap's eyes using one shackle only in between rather than using both shackles. However, even that doesn't take away the fact that a flying shackle can be really deadly and need to be careful with it.
Throw a jacket or blanket over the shackles.
Shinku La looks interesting. Clouds chased you all throughout I guess. Hopefully, next week will be clear skies!
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 10:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Throw a jacket or blanket over the shackles
Need to get winch blanket in my accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Shinku La looks interesting. Clouds chased you all throughout I guess. Hopefully, next week will be clear skies!
Yes, Shinku La was one of the best places we visited in this trip and the weather indeed remained cloudy all along. We got to see clear skies for only one night and for a couple of hours at Chushul. No need to mention we had to make best of available light in such situations.

Guess we need to work up on a Travelogue to narrate the whole experience.

Are you heading to Ladakh next week, Tanveer? If yes, wish you safe and enjoyable journey and looking forward to another set of mind-blowing pictures.

Meanwhile, a few more videos from .anshuman's channel.

Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 20:57   #85
Team-BHP Support

Why not recover the Storme in forward motion?

Had seen the pics but resisted myself for videos to be seen on a PC. Worth it. Was Drang Dung part of Batalik sector?
Old 22nd August 2016, 07:54   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Why not recover the Storme in forward motion?
No space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Had seen the pics but resisted myself for videos to be seen on a PC. Worth it. Was Drang Dung part of Batalik sector?
Thanks. Drang Drung is just past PensiLa on our way to Padum on Kargil-Zanskar Road. Batalik was on a off-shoot of NH1 towards Kargil from Leh, separating from NH1 from Khalsi, you basically cover ground alongside the banks of Indus river on a country road.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:14   #87
BHPian

Thanks Anshuman and Ace. It was such a fun trip. Unfortunately one of our friend became the Gama in the land of Lama.

The reason why Atlantis changed hands - Cerberus is home now. Will get them together soon, though I don't know if it should meet the ex.
rhandle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Thanks Anshuman and Ace. It was such a fun trip.
Likewise sir. Plenty of fun indeed!

Quote:
The reason why Atlantis changed hands - Cerberus is home now.
Congratulations again on the Endeavour!

It is a worthy replacement of Atlantis in it's stock form itself and I am sure, with you classy mods on it aren't too far away!

Quote:
Will get them together soon, though I don't know if it should meet the ex.
Haha! Let's catch up soon once the break-in period is over! Or we can do some Italian style break-in for your Endy in our local off-roading grounds.
Old 24th August 2016, 23:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

Was travelling in Jaipur past Sat/Sun. Awesome city, awesome people, awesome company and weather. Had an amazing weekend.

Total distance covered: ~600 kms.
FE during this trip: 11.2 kmpl overall (tankful to tankful).

A few pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2787.jpg  

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2792.jpg  

Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 09:09   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The reason why Atlantis changed hands - Cerberus is home now. Will get them together soon, though I don't know if it should meet the ex.
It should. We ought to know which is more awesome, both on-road and off it.

Quote:
Was travelling in Jaipur past Sat/Sun. Awesome city, awesome people, awesome company and weather. Had an amazing weekend.
Why is the derriere muddy and rest of the SUV clean?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed