Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2016, 12:50   #61
BHPian

Re: Trucking in my Atlantis! My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
rakesh_r, thanks for your reply. For invoice, I will have to check with rhandle. His company's finance team may have the copy of the original invoice in their records. My SA at Toyota didn't have a clue when I asked him about this during last service. Next time I will inquire with someone senior at the dealership, let's see if I can get a clarity on this from them.
Sir this would be BS IV. With whatever little knowledge I have, Euro 4 was introduced in 2005. In 2009 Fortuner was introduced by CKD route.

I am sure Toyota was following Euro 4 norms by that time and going by that the Vehicle came in India in 2009 with BS 4 norms even though BS 4 was implemented in 2010. The reason being first generation Fortuner was launched in 2005.

BS4 is equivalent to Euro 4.

Will search for the invoice if it is not there in the documents I gave.

Last edited by rhandle : 16th June 2016 at 12:55.
rhandle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 10:00   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Sir this would be BS IV. With whatever little knowledge I have, Euro 4 was introduced in 2005. In 2009 Fortuner was introduced by CKD route.

I am sure Toyota was following Euro 4 norms by that time and going by that the Vehicle came in India in 2009 with BS 4 norms even though BS 4 was implemented in 2010. The reason being first generation Fortuner was launched in 2005.

BS4 is equivalent to Euro 4.

Will search for the invoice if it is not there in the documents I gave.
Thank you, rhandle. My doubt on this emerged because if I look at Monteros from the same vintage, they were Euro 3, despite being CBU imports from Japan. But then I agree with your logic from our discussion on phone yesterday, it must be the case since Montero 3.2 was a DI engine while Fortuners as CKD came in CRDi disguise, so it must be Euro 4 compliant.

Still, just in case, please check if you find the original invoice or PUC document from Toyota, would be nice to have and will cement our assumptions.
Old 17th June 2016, 11:33   #63
Senior - BHPian

Another interesting page from the web, talking about a modded Fortuner by 4WD Truckin' guys in South Africa. These guys are exclusive importers of the famed Scandinavian brand Arctic Trucks, so their work is pretty good.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-fortunerarctictruck11of92940x537.jpg

A Few common points:
  • 4WD Truckin' is another vouch for Ironman Suspension's ability to improve bad ride quality of a Stock Fortuner.
  • Option of installing a winch plate behind stock front bumper for those who do not like the idea of a Bullbar OR are on tight budget (I think local fabricators in India can very well make this for our cars here).

However, they have added 33" wheels with added clearance below rear axle.

Quote:
While the Ironman kit does a great job at increasing the vehicle’s undercarriage ground clearance (by approximately 50mm), unfortunately, like all suspension upgrades, it can’t increase the clearance under the Fortuner’s rear diff and lower suspension arms. In this case, the only way to increase the vehicle’s lowest-point is to fit taller tyres. We opted for a set of 33-inch Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx tyres: a well-rounded tyre-size increase that does little to affect the Fortuner’s day-to-day driving performance, but adds an extra 25mm under the rear diff and lower suspension arms. It also improves the Fortuner’s off-road traction, wading depth, flotation on sand, puncture resistance, pothole performance, and the approach, ramp and departure angles.
Also, they seem to have another option for rear bumper + wheel carrier + Jerry Can Carrier for Fortuner. I do like the idea, however can't come to the terms that I should carry around this much weight with me all the time. Something simpler would still be okay.
My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-toyotafortunerrearbumperandswingarm3of7.jpg

Web Link for the page below.

http://4wdtruckin.co.za/showcase/fortuner/

No progress so far on my plan of potentially add OEM Toyota rear diff locks in Atlantis, still thinking how to go about it. I have been searching for it and I don't think I can get it from Toyota themselves. So I toyed another idea, to find some scrap seller who can dismantle the working part from an accidental Fortuner and supply the whole rear axle to me here, along with wiring + switches etc. Although finding a reliable guy this way is the key. Still looking around confused.

Any guidance how should I pursue this?
Ace F355 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 16:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Past weekend, weather was great and watched a great sunset. Wanted to click a couple of nice pics, however was 10 mins late to manage myself getting out of City limits to get a cleaner view. Not the best lighting, however here is what I was able to click...

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-046.jpg

It rained today as well, pity I am stuck in office, going out in mud/slush would have been fun today!
Old 5th July 2016, 16:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I wanted to know the approach, departure and breakover angles for Classic Fortuners, however couldn't find this info. Then, someone told me that Fortuner's brochures used to have this kind of info. Now, where to find the old brochure? After a long time spent on internet, finally I managed to lay my hands on a pdf copy of the same.
For anyone who wants to have a pdf copy of Fortuner's official Brochure, Toyota Genuine Accessories Brochure and their respective prices back in 2009/10... I am attaching the same here.

2009 Toyota Fortuner India - Brochure.pdf

2009 Toyota Fortuner TGA Brochure.pdf

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-toyota-fortuner-2009-tga-price-delhi.jpg
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 12:44   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

So we have been having fun with this Monster truck at every possible opportunity. Off the road this thing is invincible, takes knee deep ruts easy, climbs real steep climbs with deep ruts without effort.

The M/T tires start digging up real fast, on dry/sandy surface they make the surface unusable for other vehicles in no time. Yet to see them perform in deep slush.

Ironman suspension has lot more travel and articulation compared to stock Fortuner, the ride and handling off road is much improved.

The only thing missing is a rear differential lock, that would make this car invincible.

Enjoy the pictures and video.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160703_075040.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160703_092624.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160703_095038.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160706_085734.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160706_092237.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160703_125120.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_20160703_132601.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th July 2016 at 12:58.
.anshuman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th July 2016, 13:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
So we have been having fun with this Monster truck at every possible opportunity.
Thank you anshuman for compiling these. Lovely video and pics!

Rear Diff Lockers are on my to-do list and will come once I exhaust the existing capabilities of my car. There are some limitations to Atlantis off-the-road, however I personally think it will be stupid to compare the Fortuner to hard core offroaders like Gypsy, Jeeps and Gurkha which have their own set of advantages over it.

This is what I believe, the mods on Atlantis make it a brutal machine on/offroad, taking care of most limitations of a stock Fortuner, without making compromises on regularly used creature comforts. If someone is looking for an all-round vehicle in India, which takes up 7 people across a cross-country trip and still wants to have shitload of fun where the roads end and want to return back home without any big troubles, a Fortuner equivalent to Atlantis is probably the ONLY option at the moment, period!

Here is one brilliant video by Andrew St. Pierre from 4xoverland South Africa where he tries to compare a stock Fortuner with a 80 series Land Cruiser.

Atlantis's capabilities are way ahead of stock...
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Update -

Good news is that Atlantis is officially transferred to me now. Received the new RC a couple of days back and started the process of transferring the insurance to my name as well.

However, a dampener was the hurdles created by Bajaj Allianz in insurance transfer. First they failed the vehicle during their insurance transfer inspection, saying the vehicle is excessively modified.

I tried to negotiate with them, suggesting that I will not claim the front bumper in case of any accident since it is added accessory and I haven't paid the premium for it. They still refused to budge and I had a long conversation with a senior guy at their head office in Gurgaon. They were also hell bent on adding an Excess of 60,000 on my IDV for which I refused firmly.

In the end, after a long discussion I had to settle for 35000 Excess on my IDV and they agreed to keep the IDV of the vehicle same (one way or the other, a loss of 35k for me in case of total loss/theft). In addition to this, they also made remarks on both driver side doors for 2 small dimple dents, saying that they will not reimburse the claims for dent/paint on both these panels as well as front right side fender where snorkel is installed. I know this is the official procedure but I was like

I am yet to receive the new policy and will read the fine print thoroughly. What do you guys think; bad deal for me here?
Old 22nd July 2016, 17:58   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Leaving aside your modifications, I was also surprised by the thoroughness with which Bajaj Allianz did my insurance transfer with my Cruze. I expected a 5 minute inspection but it went into a detailed 20 minute one with loads of digital pictures taken as official records.

I actually support this move as it lowers insurance scams overall!
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 11:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I actually support this move as it lowers insurance scams overall!
on the point above. However, I am pissed off with Bajaj because when I am giving them this in writing that I will remain not eligible to claim the accessories for which I haven't paid the premium (Bullbar, Snorkel, Audio Upgrade etc), they shouldn't be adding any unjustified excess to my insurance policy. It is just arm twisting IMO and I plan to move to another insurer next time!

Anyway, yesterday on my way back from Chandigarh, I completed 150,000 kms on Atlantis and (as expected) T-Belt replacement warning lamp came up on the dashboard. I think it is hard coded to the odometer since Toyota recommends to replace timing belt every 150,000 kms.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2014.jpg

So, this morning I handed over the car to MGF Toyota Gurgaon for service.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2016.jpg

Considering 150k service was supposed to be a major service including the timing belt replacement, I was expecting the total bill to burn some hole in my pocket.

However, pretty delighted to hear that total expected bill would be INR 14k tops, which includes regular oil/filter changes, new air filter cleaner and refiner, timing belt replacement, replacement of rubber boot in steering column (it was cut slightly and mentioned during last service as well), prop shift greasing, take care of general minor squeaks and rattles etc.

Not bad I say!

Will collect the car in evening from them and post the final bill.
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 20:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

Don't you simply love the smoothness of the car once it is back from getting serviced by ASC!

Got the service completed and the expenses were within the estimates they provided me with in the morning. Will post the detailed experience later on, for now a few pics of the car to boot!

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2023.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2024.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2025.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2026.jpg

BTW, service costs so far! Past 3 services which I have paid for since the car has come to my possession.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2027.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2028.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2029.jpg
Ace F355 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 15:56   #72
Senior - BHPian

Just when you think things are all okay! A theft attempt of Atlantis was made last night.

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2053.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2055.jpg

Realized this morning when I got out of my house, leaving for office. Thief/Thieves broke the left side rear door glass, attempted to fiddle with ignition lock unsuccessfully and took out plastic panels beneath the steering wheel. When nothing worked out, they opened up the center panel to take out the ICE's Pioneer HU, that attempt too was unsuccessful, may be due to someone came out from nearby houses or the security guard returned back into my street. Either way, apart from broken window glass , I found out rest of the things in car itself. The car was parked right outside my house on pavement and I can't believe how it all happened. It is a bad world we live in.

Anyway, called up Toyota to check up whether they have replacement glass available. Both Uttam Toyota and MGF Toyota replied in negative, saying the glass can be ordered and will be available next day.

I asked for approx. cost: 10k + taxes + installation labour ~ 13.5k.

Meanwhile I called fellow mod .anshuman and he suggested me to finding up the glass from a good spare part shop. If I would have gone through insurance route, it would cost me my NCB, ~2k INR as claim processing charges + some amount to Toyota for installation labour, not to mention a day of waiting for arrival of replacement glass. We decided to skip the insurance route and do a quick hunting in spare shops in Old Gurgaon and voila, the first spare shop we visited in the morning, Chawla Motors, had it in stock. Their price: INR 1400!

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2056.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2057.jpg

My Pre-Worshipped Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4x4 MT - 225,000 km crunched. EDIT: Sold!-img_2058.jpg

Bought the glass from them, stopped at Heera Motors on our way back where he fitted the glass and center HU panel in half an hour.

Total expenses of repairing: 1600 including replacement glass. Atlantis is back into action in full glory. Huge shout out to .anshuman for his prompt help on the matter. Thanks a lot, pal!

Would have shared the contact link of Chawla Motors for help of local TBHPians as well, but we forgot to take his card and I can't seem to find him on google as well. Well, will do so next time I am going to buy some spare parts.

However, I need to review security status of my home, I guess CCTV installation is need of the hour as well as a better theft deterrent/car security system, something which creates a ruckus and works with internal movement sensors. Looking into the matter right now and any pointers would be welcome.
Ace F355 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Thats horrifying to see your car broken into. Did you report the matter to the police ? I am glad those thieves were unsuccessfull. Thank god for that. I think a Autocop alarm system with glass sensor and a gear lock would give you some peace of mind. Remember you will not always park your car at your home and the car should have adequate protection wherever it is.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 28th July 2016 at 00:16.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 02:55   #74
Senior - BHPian

Thats just sad to read, Glad the damage wasn't very big, Please do install CCTV's at the earliest, Nobody likes being recorded on a camera, Plus perhaps a gear lock would help too?
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 09:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Thats horrifying to see your car broken into. Did you report the matter to the police ?
Thanks Sumeet, I am indeed thankful that there wasn't any major loss! I didn't report to Police Station in the evening because we all know they are good for nothing. There was a burglary case a couple of months back in our area, all they did was to come to the house, inquired with neighbors and put off the case!

I will inquire in market for Autocop and will check upon other options as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Please do install CCTV's at the earliest, Nobody likes being recorded on a camera, Plus perhaps a gear lock would help too?
First thing burglars do IMO is the shut down the CCTV someway or damage it or put something in its front view to make it ineffective, unless the camera is stealth and not easily visible. This is coming from local feedback I received yesterday. So not sure how effective this would actually be, but I will get this done anyway. I am also looking for other options like hiring a private guard for our house for night duties. I don't mind paying a couple of grands on monthly basis for safety of my belongings. Let's see how it turns out.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed