Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2007, 20:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
1)and the roof mounted ac has just blower right?
Coils plus blower, JK - its a roof mounted A/c, not a roof mounted blower.
Old 28th January 2007, 15:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
2. Quoting Psycho - "Dont bl**dy drive the *(@*($! truck like a car. SUVs are NOT meant to take tight winding turns at high speed."
Sounds very familiar

Between LX & EX the difference also used to be alloy wheels (EX) for the 4x4.. I paid extra to get my alloys on LX..
Old 29th January 2007, 17:45   #33
BANNED

Thank you all for your kind wishes!

Here's a brief update on the EX 4x4:

After taking delivery, drove carefully to the nearest bunk and tanked up. The careful driving was to get used to the dimensions of this truck!

Did some city driving for the first day and then hit the highway. While it seems HUGE for the city (till you get used to it), it is PERFECT for the highways!

Steeroid's point of the engine in a reclining chair comes to mind almost immediately. You simply don't realise you are doing 3 digit speeds until you look at the speedo. I made sure I took it to 2000 rpm in each gear before upshifting.

v1p3r's 'baap' point is also very relevant. This vehicle makes you feel like GOD - you peer down at cars, look at truck / bus drivers in the eye. Everybody gives way to a Safari - driving on the first day, an Endevour almost cut me off, one flash of the headlights, he looks to see which vehicle it is, sees the DICOR and gives way. Not sure he would have done the same for a car.

Initial thoughts -
The pros: ride, comfort, cruising ability (a 160 km drive feels like 16 km!), fantastic ergonomics (I feel I've been driving a Safari for years!)

The cons: size (takes some getting used to in the city initially), reversing is a pain in crowded areas, braking takes some getting used to.

Stuck in a traffic jam on the outskirts of the city, I simply went off the road and through mud, slush etc. and rejoined at the start of the pack. People must have felt "what a big show-off" but it feels nice to go off the road on a whim.

Initial FE figures:
City runs, A/C on: 9.5 kpl
Highway, A/C on, speeds varying upto 115 kph: 12.8 kpl
Highway/City/ Ghat mix, A/C on, speeds upto 115 kph: 10.86 kpl
All numbers are tankfull to tankfull with auto shut off.

After 1000 km, I started upshifting at 2250 rpm. Will keep giving updates.
Old 31st January 2007, 12:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
Thank you all for your kind wishes!

Here's a brief update on the EX 4x4:

After taking delivery, drove carefully to the nearest bunk and tanked up. The careful driving was to get used to the dimensions of this truck!

Did some city driving for the first day and then hit the highway. While it seems HUGE for the city (till you get used to it), it is PERFECT for the highways!

Steeroid's point of the engine in a reclining chair comes to mind almost immediately. You simply don't realise you are doing 3 digit speeds until you look at the speedo. I made sure I took it to 2000 rpm in each gear before upshifting.

v1p3r's 'baap' point is also very relevant. This vehicle makes you feel like GOD - you peer down at cars, look at truck / bus drivers in the eye. Everybody gives way to a Safari - driving on the first day, an Endevour almost cut me off, one flash of the headlights, he looks to see which vehicle it is, sees the DICOR and gives way. Not sure he would have done the same for a car.

Initial thoughts -
The pros: ride, comfort, cruising ability (a 160 km drive feels like 16 km!), fantastic ergonomics (I feel I've been driving a Safari for years!)

The cons: size (takes some getting used to in the city initially), reversing is a pain in crowded areas, braking takes some getting used to.

Stuck in a traffic jam on the outskirts of the city, I simply went off the road and through mud, slush etc. and rejoined at the start of the pack. People must have felt "what a big show-off" but it feels nice to go off the road on a whim.

Initial FE figures:
City runs, A/C on: 9.5 kpl
Highway, A/C on, speeds varying upto 115 kph: 12.8 kpl
Highway/City/ Ghat mix, A/C on, speeds upto 115 kph: 10.86 kpl
All numbers are tankfull to tankfull with auto shut off.

After 1000 km, I started upshifting at 2250 rpm. Will keep giving updates.
I have gone through the whole thread and understand that you took delivery of the 'beast' on the 24th Jan 2007. Have you already driven it for 1000+ kms in less than 10 days?

You surely seem to have reclaimed your life!

I will be reclaiming my life by the end of Feb. A brand new DiCOR VX (Quartz Black) is on its way from Pune ;-)

Keep posting here for tips for complete reclaimation
Old 31st January 2007, 13:51   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I have gone through the whole thread and understand that you took delivery of the 'beast' on the 24th Jan 2007. Have you already driven it for 1000+ kms in less than 10 days?
It is 7 days old today and has around 1300 km on the odo - that's what Safaris are for anyway!

Congratulations on your buy - good choice.
Old 31st January 2007, 14:11   #36
BHPian

I hope it turns out to be a good choice. By the way, can anyone suggest a good (value for money) cargo/luggage carrier for the 'beast' which will not kill its look?

Also, what are the best speeds to drive it in during the break-in period?

Regards
Sumit Bajoria
Old 31st January 2007, 14:33   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
what are the best speeds to drive it in during the break-in period?
The manual has the running in limits specified in terms of speed. You'll find that this corresponds to 2000 rpm in each gear. My method of running in is to take it to this limit in each gear.
Old 31st January 2007, 16:54   #38
BHPian

I Bought DICOR in Oct 06 and the car is doing okay. However there was a strange issue. The car is 6200 Kms done now. However, whenever the rpm goes over 2000, it gives huge baloons of black smoke. Took it to Lucas TVS and they said the Air filter was choking and was not passing enough air into the engine when it was revved over 2000 rpm. And they changed the Air Filter with which the mileage increased to 10.2 from 9.4 and the car became smoother as well.

However its not even 15 days and the problem is back again. The mileage is over 10 and is smooth as well but the smoke is like hell. Doubt it wont pass even EURO 1 test. Any thoughts on this. what cud be the issue?
Do all of you see this issue when the rpm is over 2000?
Old 31st January 2007, 19:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

The smoke issue has been talked about. Please do a search.
Old 2nd February 2007, 21:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Updated to 5500 KMS (First Service)

Allright....

My SUV completed it first service today at 5450KMS and it back as good as new.

Total Cost incurred in the first service.. Rs:36.00

Here is the list of things I asked them for
Hard Clutch, RHS HeadLamp Beaming the light in HIGH BEAM to the sky, minor clutters and rattles when starting and shutting down the SUV.

And here is the listing from the job card which they have carried out...one is extremely surprising though ....
(PAID)
a) Parking Light Rear LHS replaced buld for 12/-

b) Some NyLOC NUT for 12/- (God know what it is)

c) Body Clip 12 (to tie some wires hanging around in the engine bay.

(Free Service Work Carried Out)

a) All Oil Levels Check and Top Off.. (hmmm... all the oils were upto their mark .. good thing i guess)

b) AirFilter Clean

c) R/R Clutch Cable Oiling (wow the clutch has become extremely smooth once again.. just like the feeling of Switft Clutch...but in Dicor.. i guess you can understand that feel)

d) Head Lamp Remove and Install Each~Light Setting Done

e) Stand. Chk. Turbo head Shield fitted properly....*(i was just in time to the workshop when I enquired about the rattles thing and the most sicking surprise was that the Shield had broken and was dangling with one nut only..rootcause of the weird noise at startup and shutdown. Wow what a quality of the iron TATA is using..std ans from Wks ..."must be broken due to Vibrations....."Nevertheless.. a replacement has been ordered underwarranty and the existing piece electricwelded and fitted back for the time being)* Jokingly I asked if that was the quality.. and the damn engine as might crack like that and man... they werent looking happy at the pun....

f) replace all door strikers / adjust and grease

Sincere advise from Workshop: Saab.. Please use Normal Diesel and alternate system-d use tankful to tankful.(to think about..why..)

Wash quality was pathethic as the stupid washer boy managed to carry the door grease all over the side body..Though he cleaned it up, i think tommorow is going to be a busy day with her with a eagle wash and wax and shine to glory.

well in the evening drive back to office the car was delight and i am satisfied and happy with my SUV..

Cheers..
Old 12th February 2007, 15:08   #41

Hey even i am plng to buy the same color u have , but i need Bumpers & the side bar also to be of the same color as it comes in top model, wht cost will it come for ..... & wht bout tubeless tyre
Old 12th February 2007, 17:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hey even i am plng to buy the same color u have , but i need Bumpers & the side bar also to be of the same color as it comes in top model, wht cost will it come for ..... & wht bout tubeless tyre
Body colour bumpers and side moulding would set you back by roughly 19K and the tubeless tyres should be another 25K.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:21   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
My SUV completed it first service today at 5450KMS and it back as good as new.

Sincere advise from Workshop: Saab.. Please use Normal Diesel and alternate system-d use tankful to tankful.(to think about..why..)
My EX will be going for the first service next week. Its done 4500 km so far, in 7 weeks.

Thanks for the pointer on ordinary diesel. I've been using premium diesels only so far.

City FE continues to hover around the 9.5 kpl mark and highway FE is ~13 if I restrict it to 2000 rpm in 5th gear (115 kph) and upshift at 2000 rpm in each gear.

Unrestricted, the FE is around 11 kpl. These figures are with A/C.

As an update, the engine seems to have settled in well - very quiet once warmed and the heavy smoke under hard acceleration is less (I've changed my brand of diesel).
Old 27th March 2007, 16:56   #44
BANNED

EX back from 1st service last weekend. No charge.

Issues reported:
1. Fuel flap opening on its own.
Fixed
2. Slight buzz from rear left door
Fixed - was due to improper panel fitting after sun film installation
3. Sharp noise when steering turned full right (no noise on the LHS)
Fixed
Old 27th March 2007, 17:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Body colour bumpers and side moulding would set you back by roughly 19K.
Thats a lot.. I paid 10K in Bangalore for painting the bumpers / side cladding /roof cladding and spare wheel cover.
Check the prices again with your dealer..

Godfather
Closed Thread

Most Viewed