Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2007, 15:05   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Hi

I am facing something funny with the ac as well.. it make some strage humming sound.. previously, i ignored it but now its catching my attention. The moment I put on the AC, or the blower, there is a humminng sound, like a bee (you know what i mean) Is it something, i need to worry about. Also on the outside, when ac is put on there is a sound of AC working over and above the sound of the engine

Please advise...
Cables touching the fan. This problem was there in my uncle's DICOR too.
Old 30th April 2007, 22:06   #62
BHPian

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

Quote:
2. EGR modulator needs a HARD relook, and am going to be present throughout in front of the vehicle during the 2nd service..
(please tell me is it a switch (bosh or padmini make) or its a big cylindrical thing with a pipe connecting to the padmini/bosh switch)
The document/link below explains the various components of the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) using a diagram. All terms are very well explained here...
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

I'm having similar smoke problems with my Dicor (Feb'07 model, done 3000kms). Will let you know after my visit to the service station about my experience.
Old 16th May 2007, 20:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Well Bad News.....(My Bad Luck i pressume...)

While diaganosing smoke problem when accelerating..workshop and I noticed leaking turbo

Findings:
Complaint:When I push down on the gas pedal, black smoke comes out the exhaust pipe and it feels like the car is dragging or being pulled back and it stops accelerating.

Amazing Findings :( Turbo is leaking Oil

Intercooler is filled with oil and turbo hose back to crankcase was leaky as well (its ok to have a some oil in the Intercoolers by design ( bless blowby hot gases vapours)) like a quart or so .

This caused poor acceleration or running rich. The breather box has the gasket blown off (faulty oil seperator), & clogged the breather causing the turbo to blow oil through its seals when i accelerated or I'd say when the boost was high.

(from google: unrelieved blowby increases the oil pumped to the turbo and not drained, causing excess oil in the turbo, increasing crankcase pressure, and forcing this oil out the exhaust. )

This caused turbo to leak oil under pressure into exhaust (cause of my dark clouds of smoke left behind when hard acceleration). I was already planning a long trip this coming weekend and feeling lucky that it was seen by workshop in time otherwise it would have been a horrible experience stuck in middle of no where.

SUV is with them and they are working hard on it to resolve the problem. In the mean time i can just wait and watch (LOL)

Latest update I got was that they had inspected turbo and found it OK. Cleaned intercooler with gasoline to get rid of bloody muck. turbo seals ok.. hose pipe refitted properly. replacing faulty oil seperator.

CAUTION: Don't drive with the turbo blowing oil as it will clog the cat converter or as well poison it permanently. No wonder
why my catcon was choked with carbon like hell.
More updates as soon as I get ...

Any thoughts ? what more to have checked....

(by the way I religiously follow idling for 1 min before rolling off and during parking)

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 16th May 2007 at 20:52.
Old 16th May 2007, 21:42   #64
BHPian

leaking turbo!

Quote:
While diaganosing smoke problem when accelerating..workshop and I noticed leaking turbo
dude! that sound serious... did you notice any oil leak prior to this, specially under the engine area where you park your safari at night?
Old 16th May 2007, 22:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

nope..

you have a look at your under carriage cover and voila they are covered with some foam material on the side facing the inside towards engine bay ....no leaks will fall to ground untill those foams are soaked wet.. even if minor.. which serious..

i assume that i was running leaky turbo for some time now...How long i really dont know
Old 20th May 2007, 14:45   #66
Senior - BHPian

allrighty, had a word with regional tata office and worshop managers

following issues corrected @9300KMS
1. Latest software/firmware upadated to the ECu by delphi
2. smoke was due to egr being open at the wrong time.(corrected now)
3. oil leak apparently seems to have poisoned the catcon (replacement on the way)
4. all major complaints in vehicle well attended to except that i guess i need to live with hard engagement of 1st and 3rd gear, unlike 2,4,5th and reverse gear.(may be a point to raise later as I am not satisfied.)
(ZEROCOST)
well lets see, i hope sincerely that the major faults have come to their end.

Later...when 10k srv is done.
Old 31st May 2007, 22:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

Update to 10300 KMS

Second Service has been completed today without much fanfare.

total cost incured was Rs 1000 approx, owing to wheel rotation alignment oild filter etc and etc.

I myself brought Castrol GTD from castrol dealer and gave it to workshop to be put in the safari. so another 1025.00 for 6.5 ltr of engine oil

delphi tvs people were called in to check the ECU again in static and dynamic conditions and found the egr solenoid vaccum switch(drat padmini make was acting funny.. sometimes working and sometimes not)

green signal from all concerned technicians was given at approx 7:30pm that all was fine

Some things underwarranty which were changed

catcon @14k
egr solenoid switch @326.00

Paid were

rotation, alignment and oil filter.

Something i liked about the car after it was serviced that it runs much better and feels tighter . Hope it continues like this until next service

Still to be watched out are the turbo leaks etc incase there are any or excessive smoke problem. I think i need to keep the rpm >1500 and aadapt to this technique and its only when rpm is less than 1500 in gear >2 at speeds of 30-40, it gives baloons of smoke. (senior members can advise on this)

thnks
Old 31st May 2007, 23:31   #68
Senior - BHPian

Rahulk, that humming noise when you switch on the AC is the bloody AC condensor fan. Get it replaced. All you need to do is switch on trhe AC wait for the hum and then physically disconnect the fan. Voila, the hum is gone. Useless Sanden!!!!
Old 1st June 2007, 10:12   #69
BHPian

excessive smoke problem

Quote:
...excessive smoke problem. I think i need to keep the rpm >1500 and aadapt to this technique and its only when rpm is less than 1500 in gear >2 at speeds of 30-40, it gives baloons of smoke. (senior members can advise on this)
As posted on my ownership report thread, black smoke at low rpms is caused by engine knocking. Usually while going over a speed breaker if you dont shift into 1st or if the momentum is not good enough for 2nd, there will be engine knocking which causes black smoke as you accelerate. This was explained to me by the TASS Sr.Wks Mgr
Old 1st June 2007, 11:30   #70
BANNED

I see smoke only when I'm at sub 1000 rpm in 3rd or 4th AND I'm trying to accelerate. I should be downshifting as per the manual.

My 10000 km service was done 2 weeks ago. No issues.

I've been selected for this year's JD Power survey for initial satisfaction - the interview is in a couple of days time.
Old 1st June 2007, 11:37   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have read of the "wheel jamming problem" on hard breaking, has that been officially corrected by TATA or still persists.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:09   #72
Team-BHP Support

@dicorex4x4, since your workshop allows you to choose your own oil, next time get the "castrol GTX diesel" instead of GTD. Its a higher standard oil than the GTD.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:27   #73
BHPian

Get the bumper painted with same color, it will look much more hot and add tubeless and alloyes, if your budget is allowed.
Safe drive and enjoy the ride.
Old 1st June 2007, 16:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@dicorex4x4, since your workshop allows you to choose your own oil, next time get the "castrol GTX diesel" instead of GTD. Its a higher standard oil than the GTD.
i asked tata motors r&d about castrol gtx diesel in pune (i had brought gtx diesel initially and later exhanged with Castrol GTD only) they said that safari dicor had been tested extensively on castrol GTD by r&d and is the preferred oil instead of GTX diesel as its not been tested as of now. they saidsomething about gtx catching more soot and something about more carbon buildup etc etc (what a lame answer, but i am not an oil expert)
Therefore I went with castrol GTD only.

Last edited by Rahulk76 : 1st June 2007 at 17:01.
Old 1st June 2007, 16:46   #75
Team-BHP Support

I think they were talking about Castrol GTX.
Castrol GTX diesel is a higher grade oil, and is very rare. Not available with most dealers.
GTD is also a good oil, and they get a good discount on GTD as the workshops buy drums.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed