Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2007, 09:16   #16
BHPian

Great review Condor, your review has changed the way I have been perceiving the SUMO

-POGU
Old 5th April 2007, 14:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Condor absolutely amazing review. I have driven a few Victa's(office cabs) and have really loved the way it handles in the City Traffic.

I must say a Victa is far better than the non-Victa models. Excuse my ignorance(with regards to the other models.Cant get their names right)because I have never wanted to know things in deep about the Sumo's.

Also dont you think the middle row seat is a little crampy for people who are tall(5'10" and above) ?
On a serious note you have taught me to appreciate a Sumo .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 5th April 2007 at 14:17.
Old 5th April 2007, 22:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice review condor,The victa has left a significant impression on my mind too[a good one], and am keenly looking forward to the newer generation sumo,hopefully things just keep getting better with the sumo.
Old 5th April 2007, 23:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys, but firstly thanks to Rehaan for helping me by editing the review.

theMAG: The idea of using spacers is something- got to give that a serious thought, but importantly, make sure that I dont end up providing you with fodder for the "Pics of Wierd and Whacky mod jobs" thread ..

The turbo kicks in much earlier. More like 1.5k rpm .. you can notice the difference by then.

RJ,you would be referring to leg-room, I think.. the GX models are 7/8 seaters. The front seats and the middle row have both been pushed back to provide more legroom. Consequently, the jump seats at the rear in the GX models are single seaters.

Last edited by condor : 5th April 2007 at 23:15.
Old 6th April 2007, 07:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

that was one BIG review! and a good one

like a to z about the Victa. Maybe I should drive it when we meet he next time.

Any idea if the suspension setup of the base version are different as I feel them a bit bumpy. I like the dials of teh new Victa .
Old 6th April 2007, 11:19   #21
BHPian

Hey Condor - great review.. Congrats for owning victa with love, and such detailed review.
You made me think why i didn't even think about sumo during my purchase.
Old 11th April 2007, 18:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

wow!!! the detailing you gave for FE and the butterfly window matching...tata motors can learn a thing or two from your review man..
Old 16th May 2007, 23:04   #23
BHPian

Hi Condor, Nice review. I have a Victa , Feb2006 model, Hv driven it about 22000 kms till now. Quite happy with this vehicle . I Did slight adjustments to the FIP and now I find it better than what it was. Hv adjusted the idling speed to around 1100 RPM with out AC, and hv adjusted the throttle lever control nut a bit so that the RPM does not fall immediately upon releasing the accelerator. This has helped me a lot driving in the konkan ghats. Dont know if this is right or wrong but it is comfortable alright. This baby gives me about 10 kmpl in Mumbai and about 11.5+ out on highway. Hv touched 140 km/hr on Pune highway and at 140 she was quite smooth n all that. Before the Victa I had ordinary Sumo for about 7 years. Hv not found the Sumo dangerous at all on turns etc as felt by many. I have been using gears to control the vehicle rather than only brakes and I find she behaves very fine with gear control rather than brake control. Again I do not know if this is right or wrong. Anyway you have written a nice review. Thanks
Old 16th May 2007, 23:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I like the position of the accelerator. When I am not wearing shoes, I drive bare-feet. Helps me rest my entire foot on the floor and use just my toes to work the accelerator. Have found this to be very comfortable, esp when on long drives.
Now i know why you were christined the first Truck Driver.. ..
Awesome review.. Agree with JK.. A to Z of the Sumo.
Another thing i liked what that the RPM cuts off at 4.5 where as on the Dicor its at 3.. How i wish it was 4.5 for the Dicor too..

Godfather
Old 18th May 2007, 22:33   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, SuMo & Goddy ..

Update: the FIP has still not been able to hold it's timing. Vehicle is currently with TASS. Will update again once I get her back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMo
I Did slight adjustments to the FIP and now I find it better than what it was. Hv adjusted the idling speed to around 1100 RPM with out AC ..
Are these the only adjustments that you have done ?

The recommended idling speed is 800rpm. You could get better FE if you reduce your idling speed to this level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMo
Hv not found the Sumo dangerous at all on turns etc as felt by many.
We just need to understand the limitations of any vehicle, and things are normally quite safe. True, I feel so much more comfortable in the Sumo than in many other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Now i know why you were christined the first Truck Driver.. ..
Next step: no shirt for long drives. Definitely a bandanna around my neck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Another thing i liked what that the RPM cuts off at 4.5 where as on the Dicor its at 3.. How i wish it was 4.5 for the Dicor too..
Why ? The Dicor's power is more available that way - you would need to rev up to 4.5K to reach peak levels.
Old 19th May 2007, 08:33   #26
BHPian

Good review. Somehow, I like the plain-white taxi-cab Sumo more The decals suck. If the decals are removed, it would look like a Jeep i think. The co-passenger comfort seems very tricky; can somebody even put their legs down there?
Old 19th May 2007, 08:45   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Ballkey, agree with you for most part. I find the decals on the GX to be good, & to some extent, the CX version. Not much to write about the decals on the LX & EX. Serve more like a model differentiator.

Co-driver comfort isnt that tricky, but would have helped to keep that area open to allow a full stretch.
Old 21st May 2007, 14:03   #28
BHPian

Yes Condor those were the only adjustments I have done (so far !!) and I yes I agree there is a limitation to this vehicle on sharp turns. But safely managable. I want to have the circuit diagram of the EGR system on GX Turbo. Can u pls help. Basically I want to have the EGR valve shut at idling or when the engine is cold and I want that it should open only at speeds above 70 KMPL or when coolant temp is above 80 deg C or when the engine RPM is above 3000 ROM , Can u help ?
Old 22nd May 2007, 04:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Next step: no shirt for long drives. Definitely a bandanna around my neck
Why ? The Dicor's power is more available that way - you would need to rev up to 4.5K to reach peak levels.
I am looking forward to seeing u in this getup.
also if the dicor had the 4.5Rpm range you have no idea what it could do..the turbo kicking in at 1750rpm and spooling all the way till 4...

Godfather
Old 22nd May 2007, 22:43   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
also if the dicor had the 4.5Rpm range you have no idea what it could do..the turbo kicking in at 1750rpm and spooling all the way till 4...
If power delivery continued in the current vein all the way up to 4K ? Drooooooll.....

Damn you Goddy, dont make me start thinking of a move - I have just about run her in.

Most Viewed