Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 22:01   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Condor,

I think you should move onto one of them Safaris or Scorpios. Far too many niggles not laid to rest in the Sumo I feel.
Old 10th July 2007, 07:34   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Far too many niggles not laid to rest in the Sumo I feel.
True. Some delicately designed parts are not helping things either.

at 21k, around April, the front seat belts were replaced under wty. Both belts were not retracting after release. I am seeing initial signs of this problem again with the driver side seat-belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
I think you should move onto one of them Safaris or Scorpios.
Not a Scorp. I'm not a Scorp fan yet.

May be the 2.2 - or do I need more?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mods, pls edit thread title to read 25000 instead of 20000. Thanks
Old 10th July 2007, 08:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nice review Condor..

Good you got your FIP sorted out..It took us almost 10K kms in our 04 Indigo. Apparently..the problem is in the setting..The FIP is a very delicate device and improper setting by the PDI guys..leads us to these kinds of timing issues.

AND the LIS - does not have proper trained personnel too to set it right..

Wonder if anyone has converted the rear suspension of the Sumo to Coil springs..maybe off a sierra..This would improve the handling multifold..rather than adding more leaves and more weight at the rear..
Old 10th July 2007, 08:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
True. Some delicately designed parts are not helping things either.
This is a Truck!!! what is Delicate in this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
May be the 2.2 - or do I need more?
Dicor 3.0L all the way. Forget the 2.2 Its a Myth like the lochness monster.

Godfather
Old 10th July 2007, 19:38   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
This is a Truck!!! what is Delicate in this????
The plastics ... . In what could have been a real good package.
Old 8th September 2007, 07:47   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

@ 28.5k

Back after another long one. The truck gives upto 14kmpl if only highways. No additives.

A mix of highways and rural roads, and got about 12.15 kmpl.
Old 8th September 2007, 14:40   #52
BHPian

Slightly off-topic comment: 28500km in 5 months!. You do an awful lot of driving Condor. We'll expect 'long-term' reviews sooner from you

On Topic: I see from your pictures that you do take it off-road. I've driven a borrowed Sumo (not Victa) to less charted terrain near Kodaikanal (from Kodai) once and I thought it behaved quite well. You may have done a lot more. Do you feel the need for a 4x4? Are you getting any squeaks from the suspension?

After 28K km, is the turbo performing as well as it was in your first few 1000km i.e. are you getting the same rush of power as you once did?
Old 9th October 2007, 23:25   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Wiz, not 5 months, but 15. It's now 22 months & 30.5K.

* No squeaks from the suspension.
* 4x4 is 4x4. The 4x2 is good for rough roads etc, but if you get stuck in the 4x2, there's not much you can do. Btw, none of those are off-road pics. Just off-tarmac I'd say.
* Turbo is as good as ever. Why should there be a drop ?
Old 9th October 2007, 23:35   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: 30K

30K up, and servicing completed.

7 liters of engine oil - Castrol RX Super Plus: 1500/-
Filters - diesel & oil: about 350/-
Air filter - a little early at 30K. Recommended replacement point is is 40K. 410/-
Labour - about 900/-

There was some seepage of P/S fluid, else things have been steady. Timing is holding after the FIP recalibration.

The engine oil requirement is supposed to be 7.7 liters. But at 7 liters, the oil level is at the upper mark on the dip stick.
My previous oil change at 20K also showed a similar behaviour when the TASS put in 7.7 liters, and the oil level was way too high. Had had them drain out about 1.2 liters before I added Bardahl.
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:57   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

New Victa - DI Turbo

So the new Victa is out - with a DI Turbo

Victa DI Specifications

Engine: 2956 cc Diesel DI Turbo Charged
Maximum power: 70 PS (51.5 Kw) @ 3000 rpm
Maximum Torque: 22.7 Kg-m (223Nm) @1600 - 2200 rpm

One of the changes is a higher GC - 190mm.

Last edited by condor : 22nd October 2007 at 11:00.
Old 8th November 2007, 12:21   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

A longish official trip meant the truck was not touched for 4 weeks. Just parked, no preparations. But she started at the first crank. Only problem is fuel gauge acting up a little - was not showing any signs of life. Had it checked, appears to be a problem with the gauge itself. Replacement means 5K since the console is an integrated unit. Cannot replace just the fuel gauge.

Later the same day after running about 50km, the fuel guage began working, though takes some time to start display.
Old 8th November 2007, 12:31   #57
Team-BHP Support

Nice review, keep it coming condor

Did you see if the fuel guage issue is a coroded connector or loose connection?
Old 8th November 2007, 13:57   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaggu, thanks.

Doesnt appear to be either. The TASS guy would have told me if it was. And the behaviour of the guage also makes it appear more like a problem with the mechanism inside the guage. The TASS guys used a different instrument cluster to check it, and the fuel level indication was good. Some time after that, the guage started working, but not fully (didnt show the expected levels). But today, it is better. Keeping an eye on it.
Old 24th November 2007, 22:53   #59
BHPian

Hi Condor ,

Just thought I will put in some comments about a long trip that I made a few days back in my Victa, (GX Turbo) -

Just a recap- Bought this one in Feb 2006. As on date she has done 32500 KMs. Have been very happy with this beauty of mine and have maintained it such that she looks just like new even today. No single scratch on white body so far (touch wood). Its been single driven i.e only by me throughout. I have put Garware Sun control film a few days back ( RTO approved tints ). The windshield film is very satisfying and is really very helpful.

Last week made a trip from Mumbai to Ambajogai . This is in Beed District of Maharashtra and there is a beautiful temple of Yogeshwari to which I visited with my parents. We were four of us i.e me, wife n my parents. Total distance from Vile parle to Ambajogai is little over 500 Kms one way.

Left Parle at 0530 AM on Thursday. Reached Pune via expressway at 0730 AM with one small tea break in between. At times touched 140 KM/hr and it was unbelievably smooth. Drove generally between 90 to 120. It was an excellent drive on the Expressway.

Did not stop at Pune , instead continued upto Ahmednagar and reached at 1030 AM there. Pune - Nagar 115 KMs. Just checked the car at Nagar . Found some oil on rear left tyre, inner lining. Looked into brake oil reservoir under the hood and rightly so the level of oil had gone down in the reservoir. Took the car to Hundekari Motors (TASC). They were very kind to attend immediately and had the complete assembly changed for new under extended warrenty. Was very happy to see the well equipped TASC at a place like Ahmednagar. It was really good and treatment was also very nice.

But anyway doing all this and then having lunch etc took bit of my time and ultimately left Nagar only at 1545 hrs. Upto nagar I had covered about 290 kms and about 200 odd kms were still to go. After Nagar went non- stop to Ambajogai via a place called Jamkhed and reached destination at about 8 PM. About 40 kms road from Jamkhed to Manjarsumbha is horrible.

Did not feel any stress at all after so much of driving. That has always been the beauty of Sumo. Cant say about any other vehicle because have not driven any so far for last 9 years that I have been driving. ( Before this Victa I had another Sumo). My name being Sunil Modak I feel SuMo is created specially for me only

Had my usual 2 Old Monks and a nice dinner and hit bed . Friday morning all of us went to the temple then rest , lunch , ciesta etc and left Ambajogai at 1430 for Mumbai. Jamkhed 1800, Ahmednagar 2000 hrs and then to Pune. Reached Pune 2245 hrs. All thru out no trouble from the vehicle and it was a very comfortable ride. Had dinner at Pune and left Pune at 2330 . I luv driving at night and really enjoyed the expressway drive during night hours. Barring the Ghat section , which I climbed downed slowly to avoid earaches which occur to me at times due to change in pressure , I drove quite fast throughout and reached Vile parle at 0130 AM. No feel of tiredness what so ever.

So , 0ver 1000 KMs in two days with no driving fatigue or any trouble. Thats Victa at her best !!!!!!!
Old 5th January 2008, 23:43   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Another 6 week break. The truck's not been touched, but she comes to life at first crank. The problem with the fuel guage did seem to re-appear, but was a false alarm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks