Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 11:54   #76
Team-BHP Support

All it needs is that disco globe to take on the M&M new product! Good post (as usual) with the audio upgrade project. How much does the 8" speaker/driver cost? if you can disclose the cost please.
Old 25th March 2009, 12:43   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
speedzak : My god!
Look who got bit??

Congratulations, Parvath!
That's some good things done to your truck. Now, I want to go for a drive in it again.
Your post is very good. Nicely detailed and well worded.

Keep it up!
Thanks, Zak. Ice Bites. Pretty Hard, Too.

When are you coming to BLR next ? Or maybe another monsoon drive soon ?
Quote:
Jaggu : All it needs is that disco globe to take on the M&M new product! Good post (as usual) with the audio upgrade project. How much does the 8" speaker/driver cost? if you can disclose the cost please.
Thanks, Jaggu. The sub cost me 4.5k, without the speaker box. Box was prepared at home, as mentioned.

So how do we go about the disco globe ? Looks to be a good canditate for a DIY project ! Do you think I should also hook up the brake lights & indicators to this, just like the Sumo cabs ?
Old 25th March 2009, 12:43   #78
BHPian

The location of the rear speakers is superb! Congrats man!
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:50   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Lights Up !

The head-lights & the cabin lights have seemed weaker after the last service. The battery voltage & charging were checked & found good during the last visit (after the servicing, when the steering column bush was checked).

So, after hitting a speed-breaker at 80kmph while driving to the airport on thursday morning, I got down to checkeing the head-lamp alighments.. and found the culprits. The lights were configured to search for enemy aircraft, or so it seems.

Adjustment has done the trick. The 90/100's now look their wattage.

How could the A.S.S miss this by such a margin !!
p.s: The Ikon too has a problem with it's lights, and only after servicing !

The cabin-lights will need a DIY maker-over I guess ..
Old 12th April 2009, 14:18   #80
BHPian

Hi Condor,

The speaker job is really good haan. I am also thinking of doing the same now on my victa.
Mine has now done 54500 Kms as of now and is doing very well. Major job which came so far was change of glow plugs. Otherwise nothing much.
How did u change the headlamps to higher capacity? just changed the bulbs or any other modification was required ? If you have written it in the thread earlier then I have missed it
thanks
Old 12th April 2009, 19:10   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

@SuMo, long time no hear from you. Hope the truck's been keeping you good company. Thanks for the point about the rear speakers. Let me know if get stuck when working on your setup.
Quote:
SuMo : How did u change the headlamps to higher capacity? just changed the bulbs or any other modification was required ?
About the headlamps, I just asked my SA at my T.A.S.S. He put in the relay & did the wiring for me. Got the bulbs from the Bosch dealer. Was simple as that. You will need the relay, so dont miss that part.

Suggest do not upgrade the fog's to higher rating - the heat generated will melt the parts (incl wire) inside the fog lamp unit.

Been quite a while since I got this upgrade done. Have mentioned earlier, but no probs in saying it again.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:16   #82
BHPian

Thanks Condor, yes came up after a long time on line, No time these days to come up on the site and write. I have been very busy last 6-7 months. Just work work and work. No time for anything else.two or three weekends I got free when I went out of Mumbai but otherwise had been very busy.
and for the truck, yes Victa has been the best company.Did not have time to look at her in terms of care . Just crank, drive to work and back home at night.But she has been fantastic. no trouble what so ever. except the glow plugs. Even then she was starting alright but with extra cranking required. Three of the four glow plugs had gone bad but even with one fellow working she did not made me go by cab or bus or train. Amazing isnt it?
Thats what I like about this vehicle. She is just 100 pct reliable. Since 1998 I use Sumo. The surrent Sumo victa is my second Sumo. Almost 11 years of superb and most satisfying service for over total about 1,25,000 kilometers. I am sure its quite appreciable isnt it? For me the faster pick up, top speed , high comfort levels , high level of finishing does not matter much as against trouble free and on demand service from the vehicle and for that expectation Sumo has been outstanding or the best so to say.
Almost all my collegues had some problem or the other with vehicle at some point in time when they were put in a tight spot due to the vehicle problem. I am the only one who drive in my truck to office but most happy to do so without problem on a single day.
Now you being an experienced man in vehicles , having used different vehicles, tell me is this because of both my sumos were driven only by me all throughout or is it because this vehicle is actually built good.

best regards
Old 29th April 2009, 13:00   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Cold Start problem

Esp in the mornings, the truck is not starting at first crank, no matter how long I hold it there. Always starts immediately on second crank.

So when the engine comes to life, there is a little black smoke, but not much - depends on how long the first crank was.

So does not appear to be a problem with the battery. Any ideas ?
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:58   #84
BHPian

Condor,
If cranking is proper then does not look like it is a battery problem.

So if it is cranking well but still no combustion is taking place may be you can check on following lines -
a) before giving the first crank apply heating for 3 to 4 times and see if it starts at first crank.
b) Check glow plugs if they are alright .
c) if above ok then check the stop solenoid on the FIP if this is operating properly.
d) check that air intake is not having any problem
e) check if the timing is correct.

one of the above should sort out the problem
brgds
SuMo
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Heater plugs is the most probable one.
Old 8th May 2009, 12:06   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
SuMo : So if it is cranking well but still no combustion is taking place may be you can check on following lines -
a) before giving the first crank apply heating for 3 to 4 times and see if it starts at first crank.
ramzsys : Heater plugs is the most probable one.
Thanks, guys. Looks like the heater plugs. Did 2 cycles of heating before the crank, and engine came to life without any hesitation.

Problem is only in the mornings. Evening cold starts are not a problem.

Considering this, what should I do now ?
Old 10th May 2009, 08:15   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
condor : Looks like the heater plugs. Did 2 cycles of heating before the crank, and engine came to life without any hesitation.
Guys, am not so sure about this. Single heating cycle + 1 short crank attempt + re-crank, and the engine starts just fine.

1. So unlike what I said in my previous post : Two heating cycles not required.

2. The first crank attempt I mentioned here is a very short cranking : just turn the key, and as soon as the cranking activity starts, I stop it.
3. Re-crank immediately without additional heating & the engine comes to life straight away.
Old 10th May 2009, 09:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

I've been told that the glow plugs in the indica continue to work a few seconds even after the lamp has turned off.. maybe you should try waiting a few seconds after the first cycle, and then try cranking
Old 15th May 2009, 20:16   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

@Greenhorn, tried that too : was a hesitant start.

Btw, wonder what's with Shell diesel. The truck seems to like it ! The engine felt torquier, and FE was better too. (It's been a long time since I tried Shell in the truck, since I was getting a lower FE with it compared to other brands).
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:08   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
greenhorn : .. maybe you should try waiting a few seconds after the first cycle, and then try cranking
@Greenhorn, same point mentioned by Hrishi. Seems to work. Thanks.

Tyring to understand why is this happening now. Never had a problem till about 3-4 weeks now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks