Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 00:03   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Working on the Steering wheel has an inherent risk of mis-alignment of the wheel after you put it back in. This is especially so when you take the wheel off the mounting.

And so it happened to me. Went back to Devraj on saturday and got him to adjust the alignment of the steering wheel. I had tried to do it myself, but the steering wheel is normally seated so tightly that it is hard to remove it.

While the guy did adjust it, he didnt put the s/wheel back in place correctly. The notch & slot (see below) were not in correct alignment, and this was causing a squeak every time I turned the wheel even for a smal twist. Also, the steering wheel alignment had to be fine tuned.

So armed with my + type wheel spanner, got down to adjusting the alignment of the steering wheel.

1. The panel covering the center section comes off, to reveal this :

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-removethecover.jpg

2. Open the nut, and pull out the steering wheel. Mark the position before you take it off. Make a mental note of how much of a change is required

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-closeup1.jpg

3. Put the steering wheel back on it's mount point

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-reseat1.jpg

4. Remember to adjust the notch correctly.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-notch1.jpg

5. Tighten the nut

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-removenut1.jpg

6. Put the cover back on.

The alignment is almost back to normal now - may need to do one more round of fine tuning, though.

Last edited by condor : 26th October 2010 at 00:20.
Old 26th October 2010, 19:45   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Detailing

Ayudha Puja : a time with an additional reason to do some interior detailing. The roof fabric had gotten dirty with time. Esp the areas above top edge of the door frame.

Did a round of vacuuming the truck, including the roof fabric. I had this 3M microfibre towel lying with me, so decided to try it. And I was surprised by the amount of embedded dust/ dirt it picked up even after the vacuuming.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-3mmicrofibre.jpg

I have been using Vista fabric/carpet cleaner for sometime now, and this time too. Used the Vista cleaner after this.

But what was special about the detailing this time was the 3M ScotchGard fabric & carpet protector that I had got from the US @ $11.49.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-scotchgard.jpg

Instructions were to avoid spraying on plastic surfaces, so stuck some news paper around the plastic areas and sprayed this protector.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumoscotchgard2.jpg

Emptied most of the can into the roof fabric, with some generous doses around the door frames.

Some views, post-cleaning :

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumoroofdriver.jpg

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumoroofcodriver.jpg

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumoroofrear.jpg

Hoping this time the fabric will remain clean much longer.
Old 5th November 2010, 20:39   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

59 mo / 60k

59 months to 60k. Time to get the Hyp cancelled.

The idling was fluctuating quite a bit - between 800 & 1000 rpm. That typical truck/bus like behaviour. Googled around, and many causes were put forward. One was about injectors, which got me thinking about dirt in the injectors. And the easiest way to cleaning injectors - System-D. A 25-30 km run later, the engine was smooth again - idling steady at 900 rpm. (ok, recommended is 800 rpm - will get that set soon).

Here's a pic taken some time back :
Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-sumo-naidu-farm2.jpg
Old 12th December 2010, 21:03   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Vinu's Sumo - Composite Leaf Springs

Spotted an ad on TBHP for a Sumo Victa being on sale. At first glance, it looked very similar to mine. But what stood out was the suspensions. Vinu had put in Composite Leaf Springs from Dr Nano Inc.

Spoke to Vinu about this, and also the performance of the vehicle with a/c. I have been seeing a drastic drop in performance when I switch on the A/c. But Vinu didnt seem to experience this. He was good enough to let me have a quick check of his Sumo, and as he had said - there was hardly any affect of the a/c on the vehicle's performance. One difference was the FIP - he has a Bosch FIP, while I have a TVS-Lucas.

What did surprise me was the much softer feel of the suspensions. The composites do make a difference.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-vinufrpleft.jpg

Suspension Systems,Ceiling Suspension Systems,Wheel Suspension System,Manufacturer,India
Old 13th December 2010, 00:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

Re: Detailing

The interior looks good!

I didnt understand how the micro towel works. You just wipe the surface and it cleans?
Old 13th December 2010, 09:29   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Detailing

JK, thanks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I didnt understand how the micro towel works. You just wipe the surface and it cleans?
Yes, I used the microfiber towel to wipe the roof fabric - after doing the vacuuming. And it still picked up so much dirt. The Vacuum cleaner was already on high speed, and yet there was dust still sitting in the fabric.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:13   #157
BHPian

re: Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Trubo

So did you upgrade the rear leaf suspension set up to composite leaf springs? If yes, how has it improved?
Old 15th December 2010, 17:10   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Rear suspension

@Kaustubh - no, that was not on my Sumo. That was on another Sumo. I only checked how it felt, and it did show a difference.
Old 8th January 2011, 16:09   #159
BHPian

My Sumo is now 59 months 82k. want to put up a photo but could not. can some one help by informing how to do this.when I press "enter image" button I get msg "Please enter URL of your image". Pl advise

Condor , also request you to advise how I can improve the headlights. now a days the new cars have very bright headlights and our 60/55W headlights are proving inadequate on highways. Have you noticed this at all? or is it just that my sight has weakened?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th January 2011 at 23:55. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:33   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Improving headlights

@SuMo, I agree with you - the lights need improvement. Suggest additional lights - Hella Rallye 3000 / 500 FF / 700FF.

This will help you retain the OE headlights for city use, and have additional lighiting for the highway. Retaining 55/60 on the OE will also help you prevent any ageing of the reflectors of the OE lamps.

Though I have upgraded to 90/100 (with relay & ceramic holders) on the OE, I am still thinking of additional lights up front.

Regarding uploading images, check the FAQ for more details. But in brief,
1. keep the images ready
2. Click on "Go advanced" - you can see this below the message compose box
3. scroll down to "manage attachments" box. Click on that button.
4. You will get another box where you can select the images. Select & upload. Close window after you finish uploading.
5. You will come back to the message compose box. Type in your points. Where ever you want to insert an image, click on the icon that looks like a paper clip (you can see it just immediately above the message compose box). Select the image you want to insert at that point ..
6. Repeat #5 above for each image.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:08   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

OE Air Filter - restrictive design ?

Cleaned the Air Filter today. Exterior was dusty, and the interior a clear yellow as would be in a new filter. No complaints about that - that's the way it should be.

A few pics of the filter & the casing. The filter itself is about 33cm long x 17cm dia. Here's the casing & the filter, side-by-side:

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-oefilterandcasing.jpg

Filter inside the casing:

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-oefilterinsidecasing.jpg

There is very little gap between fitler & the outer shell. Here's a closer view, at an oblique angle.

Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Turbo-filtercasinggap.jpg

This is what is making me think of changing the filter. Somehow feel that a stock replacement panel filter will be better. Trying to source a filter + casing .. let's see how it goes.
Old 18th January 2011, 20:47   #162
Senior - BHPian

re: Truckin'.. A journey of 7 years, 5 months & 78300 km with the Sumo Victa GX Trubo

@condor:

I have got the timing belt replaced of my Safari, now the engine idle speed has increased by 100rpm and also a little more noise from engine. What's wrong? could you tell me? also what are the symptoms of bad timing?
Old 18th January 2011, 21:05   #163
Senior - BHPian

condor how much have you clocked already ? A few cabs(Victa) plying in our office have already clocked close 2 Lakhs and have been running problem free. Just a few niggles here and there with the interiors rattling. Surprising that these vehicles hold up that long enduring the nasty driving styles of our drivers.
Old 18th January 2011, 22:13   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

It can go on & on

Quote:
mercedised : I have got the timing belt replaced of my Safari, now the engine idle speed has increased by 100rpm and also a little more noise from engine. What's wrong? could you tell me? also what are the symptoms of bad timing?
Increase in idling speed is very likely wrong setting. Ask the T.A.S.S to reduce idling speed.

Regarding noise from engine, is it smooth or a rough noise ? A smooth noise could be due to the higher rpm. But if the engine is sounding rough, then - did you get oil change done just before that ?

Symptoms of bad timing : loss of power, black smoke and lower FE. If you see any of these (to be more now than before), then get the timing checked. But you have got the belt changed .. Did you get the FIP timing also checked /set ?

Quote:
rjstyles69 : condor how much have you clocked already ?
Riju, it's just 61.5k now. Having to juggle the Ikon & the Sumo, and hence the low usage.

These things can definitely go on & on. I see some small rattles myself, but seeing the condition of these cabs with the handling they get, gives me a lot of confidence in my Sumo. Spares are easy to get, and not very expensive. Makes it easier for maintenance, over and above the range of servicing options that people get.

The Sumo is actually a very safe choice. Esp the TCIC. Apart from the slight lack of power, or the slightly bouncy suspensions, there is not much I can complain about. It's great for city driving. And personally, I love the subtle styling this truck has. It may not be flashy/ powerful / comfortable like the other SUV's. But the combination it gives me makes it worth every rupee I have put in into it.
Old 18th January 2011, 22:28   #165
Senior - BHPian

Re: OE Air Filter - restrictive design ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Cleaned the Air Filter today. Exterior was dusty, and the interior a clear yellow as would be in a new filter. No complaints about that - that's the way it should be.
Some Tata diesels have a filter clean indicator. Spring loaded gage in a clear housing. Do you go by that? I think it measures the delta P.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks