Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 19:48   #151
BHPian

Thanx for your advice Vasu. I started with 30 as recommended, but the ride feels to stiff and the car crashes in almost every pothole. Right now i ma driving on 27, and it feels okey now. But i will try out some other pump with 30 again and see if things feels okey.

I have been in favour of regular fuel from Day1, be it petrol or diesel. In the first tank to tank method, i got 10.6 KPL, 95% A/C 100% City driving. Is it okey for a manual? Going through your previous posts i feel it should have been higher, especially when i drove it very conservatively, mostly in 50-60's, keeping RPM below 2K. And, you are very right about thr remaining fuel after light comes on. It takes around 38Ltrs. for tank full after that.
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:32   #152
BHPian

My Corolla has done 129000 kms in 4 years. Automatic transmission is still strong. The only things replaced now was A/C condensor unit, tyres and new battery.

I just cant think of selling this car. Still feels and drives like new.
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:55   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
My Corolla has done 129000 kms in 4 years. Automatic transmission is still strong. The only things replaced now was A/C condensor unit, tyres and new battery.

I just cant think of selling this car. Still feels and drives like new.
1,29,000 in 4 years. Man, you have really taken the juice out of her. Good to know that she is still going strong and feels new. But, why are you selling her ?

Last edited by ScorpMan : 23rd June 2009 at 16:58.
Old 24th June 2009, 14:24   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
1,29,000 in 4 years. Man, you have really taken the juice out of her. Good to know that she is still going strong and feels new. But, why are you selling her ?

Nope we are not selling her. I have never kept cars which have crossed 120 000 kms. I was skeptical. We went almost all out to replace it, but every time I would drive it to the dealer to sell it off my mind would ask me WHY? So we decided to keep this vehicle and get the work done on it.

The only car I sold last year was Swift... since it met with an accident.

So still have the Corolla, Safari and Gurkha with me. Hope to get Fortuner this year to replace the Swift for my wifey.
Old 24th June 2009, 15:57   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have a small query regarding service intervals. Corolla has a recommended interval of 1 yr/10000 km. That was fine when I used to drive around 18K per annum. However, now I drive at an average of around 7K per annum. Thus, following a 1 yr interval would mean 3K still to go. Should I follow 1 yr (regardless of mileage in that period, which would most probably be 7-8K) or 10000 km (even if it means a service interval of 15-16 mths).
I agree with trrk that once a year or 10,000km is what you should be doing. I drive about 7000-8000 pa on each of my cars. I go for once a year oil + filter change. I change the coolant & brake fluid once in two years. Other things (excl. rubber parts) can be on the distance scale as specified. Rubber parts, esp. belts use your judgement. I have followed this for over a 12 years, with no hiccups so far. The chap who bought my Esteem (6-1/2 years, 62000km) clocked well over 400,000 with no engine job before he sold the car.
Old 28th June 2009, 21:00   #156
BHPian

Quote:
I have a small query regarding service intervals. Corolla has a recommended interval of 1 yr/10000 km. That was fine when I used to drive around 18K per annum. However, now I drive at an average of around 7K per annum. Thus, following a 1 yr interval would mean 3K still to go. Should I follow 1 yr (regardless of mileage in that period, which would most probably be 7-8K) or 10000 km (even if it means a service interval of 15-16 mths).
If you want to keep the car without any issues get it done as per prescription. Toyota is a car which will never fail you if you take enough care.

I had been driving actually more than 30K annually so never had a issue thinking about this. My simple work had been to follow the recommendations religiously.
Old 28th June 2009, 21:31   #157
BHPian

Toyota recommended service, parts and or consumables change schedules are on a 10000 kms or 1 year, which ever is earlier basis.

Rubber parts also age with time so they should also be changed as per recommended time schedule.
Old 5th July 2009, 14:15   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Synth, Anyone?

Guys,

Are any Corolla/Corolla Altis users using Synthetic engine oil and/or gearbox oil? If yes, what brand and viscosity?

I plan to shift to synth someday after I clock >7K kms on my Altis if only to see if it is a major improvement over the toyota genuine motor oil that does duty in my engine. Had the old 9th Gen earlier and stuck to Toyota GMO for the 3 yrs I had it. Its value for money and helps keep the warranty.

Regards,

R2D2
Old 5th July 2009, 14:37   #159
BHPian

Better stick to Toyota GMO, till the time it is under warranty.
Old 10th July 2009, 19:53   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys,

Are any Corolla/Corolla Altis users using Synthetic engine oil and/or gearbox oil? If yes, what brand and viscosity?
As the last post said, stick to Toyota GMO. OK, Toyota gets the money but you do not need anything more. This is from a Toyota service advisor, who I trust. Perhaps by buying synthetic oil, the only beneficiary would be the seller of the oil.
Old 10th July 2009, 21:53   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As the last post said, stick to Toyota GMO. OK, Toyota gets the money but you do not need anything more. This is from a Toyota service advisor, who I trust. Perhaps by buying synthetic oil, the only beneficiary would be the seller of the oil.
Thanks Vasudeva.

I have bear no grudges if Toyota gets the money for the oil. Guess I'll stick to TGMO for a while. My car isnt used much...only about 8K kms per year.

With GMO, I can change oil every 6 months (affordable when compared with synth) and be happy that I have fresh oil in the engine. I may drag a synth for the full year that they recommend with mineral oil.

If in one of my crazier moments I do decide to experiment with synth you chaps shall surely hear about my experience.

Rgds,

R2D2
Old 17th July 2009, 16:11   #162
Senior - BHPian

A small piece of advice solicited:
Apparently due to a previous dent or some nick, the left side front speaker (OE part and not aftermarket) in my Corolla got damaged in the sense that one of the screw became loose and broken. That was creating an occasional rod/iron type clicking noise on some uneven roads. I got that checked with Toyota service, got everything tightened, told me about this problem, but fixed it anyway. That rod noise went away for a day or two but resurfaced again to my irritation. Finally yesterday, I got the speaker removed (on Toyota service advice) to check whether this was the source of that rod/iron noise. It seems it is because that noise has disappeared.

That is great, but now I have a problem. The speaker has to be replaced or if I fit it again, it might make that noise again.

My request for advice: should I get the new replacement speaker from Toyota (cost 3K roundabouts) or from aftermarket. I think it might be JBL. Also since I have to get it changed anyway, what small improvement can I make. Do not want too many wires, woofers, or other gizmos hanging out from all sides, or spend too much. Further, only one front speaker needs to be replaced and not the right front speaker (both are installed hidden in the front door).

Last edited by vasudeva : 17th July 2009 at 16:14.
Old 17th July 2009, 19:46   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

The cheapest option without a quality compromise would be to get a pair of Pioneer Dual cones(you will need to check if the stock speakers are 5.25" or 6.5") and just fit them in the stock location.No extra wires at all .

They would sound better than the stock speakers,which I am sure must be some Thai make.

The right side stock speaker can be kept as a "spare".
Old 18th August 2009, 18:00   #164

Bought H4 auto need advice

Vasudev and Tbhpians, it was really great to read from your experience and understand the car from your perspective. The driving practices like "light foot" etc have surely been a good learning.

I bought a 2007 H4 auto 15 days back and was having some problem while braking so thought of bouncing it off this forum.

When i crossed a speed hump, the tyres used to squeal my hunch is that brakes were holding the car while flywheel was providing the power. Is it advisable to put the car in N while crossing and again move it to D. It might reduce the brake wear all of you were discussing however i would like to know if it will have any adverse effect on transmission.

Any other best practise in driving will also be hugely appreciated
Old 19th August 2009, 09:21   #165
Team-BHP Support

Wow! Is that a typo for 40,000 or has it actually done 400,000 kms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The chap who bought my Esteem (6-1/2 years, 62000km) clocked well over 400,000 with no engine job before he sold the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks