Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 12:03   #181
Senior - BHPian

The extra cost was because of delay in replacement of brake pads which usually wear out earlier on an AT. Because of the delay, the rear brake discs also got damaged and skimming was not the recommended solution.

However, unlike the first replacement (original brake pads replaced at around 20K but they were screaming for a replacement from around 18K), the second replacement did not give me adequate warning. In the middle of the work week, the brake pad started squealing, and by the time I got around to getting them replaced (on Saturday I think), the damage had spread to the rear discs also.

Can read about this a few posts earlier.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:45   #182
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Lanson guys have informed me that it is due to a faulty bearing of the A/c compressor & would cost me 45K.
Is there any mistake in the figure? Can't imagine a bearing to cost that much or is it the cost of the compressor?
Old 9th March 2010, 16:01   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
The extra cost was because of delay in replacement of brake pads which usually wear out earlier on an AT. Because of the delay, the rear brake discs also got damaged and skimming was not the recommended solution.

However, unlike the first replacement (original brake pads replaced at around 20K but they were screaming for a replacement from around 18K), the second replacement did not give me adequate warning. In the middle of the work week, the brake pad started squealing, and by the time I got around to getting them replaced (on Saturday I think), the damage had spread to the rear discs also.

Can read about this a few posts earlier.
I find it hard to believe that less that around 100km of squeaking brakes pads caused the disc to get damaged beyond repair. Have never heard of it happening so soon. Did you see the actual damaged discs?

PS: Do you live somewhere around patparganj?
Old 9th March 2010, 16:19   #184
Senior - BHPian

I live in Patparganj. Perhaps you heard the squealing in May 2009. On a separate note, my experience with Galaxy in Moti Nagar, and especially with the person who services my car leads me to believe that perhaps the requirement was genuine. Some people on this forum also advised me to get the brake pad replaced immediately so as to avoid this problem. I did not and paid for it.

On a separate occassion in late 2009, they serviced my car ac, filled up the gas, cleaned it; but charged Rs. 250 (for pick up and drop).
Old 9th March 2010, 16:31   #185
Senior - BHPian

You are probably right that the need was genuine. But its just hard to believe that an OEM Toyota brake assembly would have such low tolerances.

HAHA. No, i didn't hear the squealing. Just figured out your location from the pics in the previous page. Let me make anothewr guess. Its one of the appartment blocks on the road that mother dairy and Hyundai are located on.
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:27   #186

I have just bought a Automatic done 112000 km. It seems very noisy when cranked for the first time. can anyone help me with info on this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
My Corolla has done 129000 kms in 4 years. Automatic transmission is still strong. The only things replaced now was A/C condensor unit, tyres and new battery.

I just cant think of selling this car. Still feels and drives like new.
Old 26th June 2011, 13:02   #187

re: Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic EDIT: Now at 8+ years/78,000 kms

Quote:
I live in Patparganj. Perhaps you heard the squealing in May 2009. On a separate note, my experience with Galaxy in Moti Nagar, and especially with the person who services my car leads me to believe that perhaps the requirement was genuine. Some people on this forum also advised me to get the brake pad replaced immediately so as to avoid this problem. I did not and paid for it.

On a separate occassion in late 2009, they serviced my car ac, filled up the gas, cleaned it; but charged Rs. 250 (for pick up and drop).
I have been following this thread since I recently bought over my aunt's immaculate Dec 2005 Corolla H4 AT. This car is like new with a genuine 51k kms on the odo and at 4.5lakh I dont think there is a better buy in the market. The old corolla has a cabin quality unlike any other car. It is airy and comfortable without overdoing the electronics. The transmission is silky as is the engine. This is my new relaxing centre, I just slip into the drivers seat and I am immersed in this serene state of safety, like nothing else matters.

The only drawback for me is the lack of cupholders and the narrowness of the door pockets and the boot could do with cargo net anchoring hooks for those that need cargo organisation. All in all my new favourite thing. Cant drive manual anymore due to a left leg problem. I just bought universal 3D moulded mats for her, but I would love to get the perfectly fitting 3D moulded mats for this model of Corolla or even if I could have them made that would be great. Any insight would be hugely appreciated.
Old 26th June 2011, 13:52   #188
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluno View Post
I The only drawback for me is the lack of cupholders.
Congrarts on the car, it will serve you well years & kms down the line.

For the Cup-holders part, try the tunnel behind the handbrake. Its got adjustible partitions, can be moved according to the size of cups/glasses/bottles. I frequently use it for small bottles, cups.
Old 26th June 2011, 22:45   #189

Thanks AWD. I tried using the specified cupholders, but I feel a little unsure of their integrity when I go through corners. If there is one thing I cannot bear, it is spillage of any sort in the car. No food, no drinks, only water, no smoke, no body fluids of any kind. Even take-out orders are double wrapped and transported in a covered square bucket in the trunk. For me a car must always smell like it has just come from the showroom. The other thing I find odd is the lack of elbow rests in automatic cars. These should be attached to the seat, not as a part of the centre console.
Old 19th April 2012, 15:59   #190
Senior - BHPian

For anyone interested in a long-term ownership review of a car that has been out of production since mid-2008, I am posting my 62 month (almost)/63000 km review of Toyota Corolla H4:

1. So far so good, with only periodic 10K service required. Given my present driving of around 700-800 km per month, that implies around Rs. 2,500-3000 of service costs per annum.
2. Fuel efficiency has been down since 2009 but that is because of lower daily distance travelled and more driving in congested spaces. Yet, it still averages around 10.5-10.8 in winters (Delhi) and 9.5 in the summers.
3. Brakepads had to replaced at 20K, 36K, and 54K.
4. The sun film installed at the time of purchase became torn (bad install) and had to replaced with a new one last month.

Periodic servicing, tuning, cleaning has ensured that that my car has remained quite neat and I look forward to perhaps another 4-5 years of ownership. I am confident that I will replace it out of boredom rather than getting rid of a car that starts giving more problems at shorter intervals.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2012, 16:27   #191
BHPian

Hi Vasudeva,

Nice thread..... keep it coming. I have bought a 2004 Automatic and all your posts here were useful in making my decision.

I have a request -
Could you please consult your owners manual for the periodicity of transmission fluid change ?

thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:56   #192
Senior - BHPian

Been more than 3 years since I last posted any update here. There would hardly be much interest now in a car that went out of production in 2007 (or is it early 2008).

Anyway, it is 8+ years and 78,000 km now to ownership. So far it has been an extremely peaceful experience with no excitements or hassles on road. One grudge is that it is Euro III and so I have to get a PUC every 3 months.

My first 2 brakepad replacements were quite quick (2008 and 2010). However, that was usual as AT brakepads last less (20-25K). However from feb 2009, my office shifted to NOIDA which is a 10 km commute one way (as opposed to earlier 35 km commute to Gurgaon). Do not know why but there has been no brake pad replacement after around 40-42K on the odo.

As to the tyres, replaced the original Bridgestone at 43000 km with Michelin Primacy LC. Unfortunately, they do not last as long as bridgestone, and had to get them changed at 69,000. Bought Bridgestone this time.

Service expenses are as expected and periodic costs are only on periodic denting/painting and thorough interior/exterior cleaning. Still looks good and very clean on the inside after 8 years on road.
I really think that with my driving (7,000 km per annum), it could be many years before it reaches the point where the maintenance is not worth the effort. Of course, there is the NGT order of 15 years. So another 7+ years before that kicks in possibly.

The new Corolla pricing is outrageous and at 20+ for top end AT, is not a worthwhile replacement for me.

I bought an Etios in May 2012 and if I had to sell/buy a new car, it would have to be Etios. The Honda City interests me but maybe next year in 2016-17. I have passed the age where one feels the need to buy a new car every 3-4 years. Etios has run for less than 10,000 in 37 months and I use both Etios and Corolla in my daily commute to the office.

Finally, can the moderators update the thread to 8+ years/78,000 km.

Last edited by vasudeva : 27th May 2015 at 17:07.
vasudeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:48   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla H4 Automatic EDIT: Now at 8+ years/78,000 kms

Quote:

replaced the original Bridgestone at 43000 km with Michelin Primacy LC. Unfortunately, they do not last as long as bridgestone,

Still looks good and very clean on the inside after 8 years on road.
Thank you , Vasudeva, the update.

As one of those few who owned a 2003 corolla AT and a 2005 facelifted MT , I fully endorse your observations on the car's ageing , or absence of it.

The Primacy LCs are top class comfort tyres - had them on both my Corollas but am surprised they didn't last even 35-40k kms.

I would strongly recommend you retain the car till at least 100000kms.

And you know that the automatic transmission oil never needs a change and coolant also needs to be replaced only at 1,60,000kms
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2015, 21:39   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Thank you , Vasudeva, the update.

As one of those few who owned a 2003 corolla AT and a 2005 facelifted MT , I fully endorse your observations on the car's ageing , or absence of it.

The Primacy LCs are top class comfort tyres - had them on both my Corollas but am surprised they didn't last even 35-40k kms.

I would strongly recommend you retain the car till at least 100000kms.

And you know that the automatic transmission oil never needs a change and coolant also needs to be replaced only at 1,60,000kms
Yes that is fine advice. Apart from boredom or desire for a new car, there is no point in selling a car that works just fine even after 8 years and 78,000 km.

Primacy LC: did they last you for 35-40,000 km?? . On my car, they lasted 26,000 km, could have lasted maybe some more, but the tyres were getting torn and having frequent punctures. Two tyre dealers (incl. a Michelin one) told me that they would not last long and one could see that they would not. In fact, I had to throw out all four. The spare tyre in my car is a Bridgestone that came with the car in March 2007.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:16   #195
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried replacing the Toyota stereo system in Corolla (2002-08). That is now very ancient in terms of features, but in my car (H4) there is audio control on steering wheel so I have not bothered to change the system.

I want to change the audio system provided I do not lose audio control on steering wheel. If this is easy, can someone suggest a good audio system (say in A+/A class and prices).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks