Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 12:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My Altis A/T isn't as fuel efficent for some reason. It's returning around 8.5kmpl, has done 1200kms to date. Although driving is in heavy traffic AC on 24c and gear shifts at around 3000rpm on avg.
Do not know your driving preferences but the answer is in your post and my reply:
1. I think Corolla returns the favour if you make an effort to improve FE.
2. My driving style: mixed traffic now (reason for FE dropping from 12 in Jan. to 11-11.5 now). AT shifts gears efficiently. Use AC at 27-28C with intermittent switch off. Try shifting at lower RPM and increase AC temp for a week, and see how it does.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:53   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

27-28 in Mumbai heat thats hovering over 35c now is not possible.
Shifting at lower RPM is definatly a good way to increase FE but I have a very heavy right foot and already toned it down for the Altis
The major drawback is the traffic, my avg speed is around 17km/hr !

The triptronic option would have helped if the damn thing was effective. I never see myself using it because its lazy and continues to shift at it's own sweet pace.

Last edited by Sahil : 6th March 2009 at 13:56.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:01   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
27-28 in Mumbai heat thats hovering over 35c now is not possible.

The major drawback is the traffic, my avg speed is around 17km/hr !
That is one possible explanation. I have calculated that with average speeds of 30 kmph, Corolla AT should give >11 kmpl. Reg. AC, Delhi temps are even higher (>40) with lesser humidity. I use 27-28C intermittently when traveling alone as on most days) and 25-26C (80-90% on) when traveling with family. That is quite comfortable here. Try to at least calibrate your AC temp and use to your comfort and see if FE improves (that is if you feel that increasing FE is worth the effort of increasing AC temp).
Old 6th March 2009, 15:10   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
That is one possible explanation. I have calculated that with average speeds of 30 kmph, Corolla AT should give >11 kmpl. Reg. AC, Delhi temps are even higher (>40) with lesser humidity. I use 27-28C intermittently when traveling alone as on most days) and 25-26C (80-90% on) when traveling with family. That is quite comfortable here. Try to at least calibrate your AC temp and use to your comfort and see if FE improves (that is if you feel that increasing FE is worth the effort of increasing AC temp).
I'll try putting the temp at 25-26 with a higher blower speed to see if it's as comfortable as 24 with blower one first level. Def would not sit in discomfort to increase FE, even 8.5 kmpl is decent IMO in given conditions.

Avg speed of 30 is far fetched. Even my BMW's avg speed ain't often above 25km/hr even though I have frequent high speed runs of up to 140km/hr at nights. The Altis is mostly used in the daytime for regular commuting hence it get the worsest of the traffic.
Old 6th May 2009, 11:48   #125
Senior - BHPian

I had noted in earlier posts how my Corolla AT's brake pads had to replaced in 2/2008 at a cost of Rs. 5.6-5.7K for all 4. It seems that the time has come again after close to 39K (or 20-21K usage life). Car is due for service in end-May/early-June, and I have recently noticed some screeching when it brakes. Is it time to get these replaced again (at Rs. 6K approx) or something else can be done. Only authorised dealer for me!!! As it is, 40K service is a bit more costly, and I have no problem in spending on brake pad replacements if it is justified. Good news is that considering my present driving of 6-7K per annum compared with 18-19K till 2/2009, the new replacement could last me more than 2.5 yrs (compared with present replacement interval of 12-15 mths).
Old 6th May 2009, 16:31   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It seems that the time has come again after close to 39K (or 20-21K usage life).
That's about right for an automatic in our driving conditions.

Quote:
and I have recently noticed some screeching when it brakes. Is it time to get these replaced again (at Rs. 6K approx) or something else can be done.
No ways, there isn't any other option. If you drive on squealing brakes, the brake discs will get damaged (more $$$). Better to get the pads replaced ASAP (as in today or tommorow).

Quote:
Only authorised dealer for me!!!
With Toyota's quality after-sales, I can see why.
Old 6th May 2009, 16:52   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No ways, there isn't any other option. If you drive on squealing brakes, the brake discs will get damaged (more $$$). Better to get the pads replaced ASAP (as in today or tommorow).
Last time it kept on squealing occasionally for 2,000 km before I got them replaced. It has just started, tomorrow is election day.

However, if the advice is to get it replaced ASAP, service is anyway due so it is just a question of visiting the dealer on the next 1-2 weekends.

My sister-in-law has an Accord in the US, and she has a substantially longer replacement interval (~30-40,000 miles). Driving conditions (no scud missiles, lot more predictability) or something else.
Old 6th May 2009, 17:41   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Last time it kept on squealing occasionally for 2,000 km before I got them replaced. It has just started, tomorrow is election day.

However, if the advice is to get it replaced ASAP, service is anyway due so it is just a question of visiting the dealer on the next 1-2 weekends.

My sister-in-law has an Accord in the US, and she has a substantially longer replacement interval (~30-40,000 miles). Driving conditions (no scud missiles, lot more predictability) or something else.
In our Indian driving conditions I have also seen the brake pad needs to be replaced after 20000-25000 km in AT where as in MT it can go up to 50000 km.
Old 6th May 2009, 17:57   #129
Senior - BHPian

More predictable driving conditions. And the fact that their driving is on endless freeways on cruise control for hours with nary a touch on the brake pedal.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:29   #130
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
My sister-in-law has an Accord in the US, and she has a substantially longer replacement interval (~30-40,000 miles).
My CVT has 32000+kms in its odometer and brakes are fine.
Old 7th May 2009, 08:44   #131
Senior - BHPian

Talked to Toyota service and shall get the car serviced and brake pads checked/replaced on Sat/Sun. Will post later.

The screeching is higher at braking to stop rather than decelerating slightly. Right now it is more of a nuisance and better to remove that problem quickly.

trrk, drive in Gurgaon at peak time (as I did till Feb) and you will see brakes being used at least 5 times/minute for more than 15-20 mins. With that problem no longer being there, I am hoping this time they last more than 20-22 K (2-3 years).

Last edited by vasudeva : 7th May 2009 at 08:54.
Old 7th May 2009, 09:59   #132
BANNED

Squealing front brakes are almost invariably due to the wear indicator. This is a small piece of metal which starts to rub on the disk when the pads near their useful life.

It is true that Autos go through their brakes faster. As Auto's do not have any engine braking (except in low - which is necessary for going down hills safely) this is but natural. I remember in the past AT cars also came with upgraded braking systems for this reason.
Old 7th May 2009, 12:52   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Immortalz posted, really about the freeways and endless cruising miles. That said, brake pad wear is directly related to your driving style. Do you high-revv? Stomp on the brakes at the last minute (versus gradually slowing down)? More of city versus highway?

For instance : My Vtec's brake pads last VERY long. Despite the car being crazy high-revved. Reason? I have a habit of using engine braking all the time. Thus, if I'm slowing down from 50 kph on marine drive, I'd probably get to 10kph on engine braking alone and only then tap on the brake pedal. I don't recommend this to everyone but it's just a component of individual driving styles. And I'm habituated to heavy engine braking.
Old 7th May 2009, 13:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
trrk, drive in Gurgaon at peak time (as I did till Feb) and you will see brakes being used at least 5 times/minute for more than 15-20 mins.
Not much difference in our town. We are blessed with canals and the average distance between 2 junctions is about 200 metres.
Old 7th May 2009, 17:20   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That said, brake pad wear is directly related to your driving style. Do you high-revv? Stomp on the brakes at the last minute (versus gradually slowing down)? More of city versus highway?
High-revv: not at all if it means going above 2500 rpm or hard acceleration. As I said, Gurgaon is not a good place to drive.

I do not drive fast (say >100 kmph), not the first one to get off the red light, and not the one to decelerate hard. Even my Corsa with all its problems had brake pads replaced at 35K (not sure if they were required but not technically competent). Corolla may seem sedate to many, but it accelerates fast with a light tap (has to be, in BHP/torque terms, it would be amongst the top 5% of cars on Indian roads). I have also noticed that when I take off the foot of the accelerator, it decelerates slowly, and so a lot of time, foot brakes are required. Cannot decelerate 0.5 km before a red light, can I??. The disadvantage of having a high BHP in a sea of compacts (with perhaps half the BHP and torque) is that not everyone can keep always in tune with their speeds (if you know what I mean). I can prolong brake pad life by about 5K if I drive a lot more sedately than I already do.

Right now, my daily trip takes 50 mins for 22 km. Gurgaon was 160mins for 70 kms, but a lot of braking in the last mile (BPO drivers, lot of traffic). No red lights, but even then, the last 1-2 kms took 20-25 mins. You would really have to experience that one day (at peak hours) to know how much brakes are used (no red lights, go 5 metres, stop, go 10 metres, stop, and so on for 1-2 km).

Forgot to mention that my acceleration and braking style is more a tap rather than a thrust.

Last edited by vasudeva : 7th May 2009 at 17:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks