Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2016, 15:28   #751
Senior - BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Can you help me with the contact details of the mechanic (Saraswati motors)?
And also the skimmed rotors are dependable for how many more kms till we change it?
94485 07681 is Vasu's number. His shop is diagonally oppsite an IBP petrol bunk. The bunk is around 200 meters from the Om Shakti temple on 7th Main Road in Kammanahalli.

You can safely go for skimming your rotors at a fifth of the cost or new rotors. I am not sure how long they will last, but let me tell you that it was the new set of rotors that caused me issues.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 15:02   #752
Senior - BHPian

The Red Injun was last serviced in early January, 2016, and in a couple of days it will complete a year since then. It has clicked around 6700 on the odo, and everything has been good with it.

So I wanted to avail Ford's 'Happy Pocket Service' so that at least the Engine oil and filter are changed. Even though Ford's recommendation is 10000 kms, I thought there was no point waiting as already a year was about to pass since the last change.

So I took it to Vibrant Ford near Sanat Nagar flyover this time, instead of my favourite Mody Ford and Mudfort. This was because the center was razed to the ground by the Secunderabad Cantonment, and the other center at Bowenpally was too far. This apart, my favourite SA had quit more than a year ago. Moreover, I had good experience with Vibrant Ford with my Figo.

I was promptly attended to by the new manager, Mr. Shiva. I told him I wanted only the following:-
  1. Happy Pocket Service instead of a full-blown service.
  2. Air filter cleaning.
  3. Engine bay waxing, as I could not clean the bay during my month-long stint in Bangalore, and I'd kept the car parked in dusty areas a few times.
  4. Fixing the right rear alloy wheel cap that had fallen out after WA/WB a couple of months ago.
All jobs were completed to my complete satisfaction except item 4 as it appears the cap could not be fitted back as some small part was broken. The total cost came to Rs 2071, including Rs 390 for engine waxing. Air filter cleaning and vacuuming the interiors was complimentary by Vibrant Ford, which surely made me glad!

Here's what I liked about the service:-
  1. Car was spic and span, and well washed.
  2. Took 90 minutes in all. I had no prior appointment.
  3. Bill was promptly prepared and payment by card accepted.
  4. The manager and SA were attentive to my needs and also allowed me to stroll into the workshop.
  5. Lounge was good, with good magazines and coffee.
  6. Vehicle inspection report appeared to be pretty thorough. They suggested change of drive belt (Rs 1800) and rear left wheel bearing (Rs 3000) in the next couple of months.
Here's what needs improvement:-
  1. The inspection report had comments like 'outside battery' and 'outside horn' fitted in the car. While it is true that I have plonked in an Amaron battery a few years back, the horn is the OEM one that came with the car. Looks like the technician goofed up on this one. Probably the new gen horns on the Figo twins are different, and he had no idea of how the horn sounded in a 10-year old model.
  2. Ford India seems to have inconsistent pricing for alloy wheel caps. I bought a couple two years back at the same center for Rs 390, but now the cost quoted for a single one is Rs 1000! . I'd rather be without a wheel cap!
A picture of the Red Injun in the wash bay:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta-vibrant-ford-jan-02-2017.png

Last edited by vnabhi : 2nd January 2017 at 15:16.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2017, 17:22   #753
Senior - BHPian

When you park your car in dusty conditions and forget to clean the engine bay, it gets damn dirty. No amount of manual cleaning will give you the same results as the 'engine bay waxing' by Ford F.A.S.S. for which they charge Rs 390 approximately.

The below pictures were taken today, a week after the servicing, and after visiting Pragati Resorts via dusty roads.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta1.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta2.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta3.jpg

My plan is to keep it this clean till the next service. The biggest challenge is during my outstation trips, when I don't park the car under a shelter.
Old 26th January 2017, 13:36   #754
Senior - BHPian

As it was nearly 2 years since I'd got the exteriors detailed, I engaged a new agency called Motorbath via an app called Urban Clap. For a charge of Rs 699, I got the car washed and waxed with 3 M liquid wax. Even the wheels were washed and the tyres cleaned.

Below are a few pictures:

The process begins with a wash:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_145900.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_150209-2.jpg

Waxing begins:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_153710.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_160332-2.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_161341-2.jpg

Dashboard also polished:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_161959-2.jpg

The end result:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_162309-2.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_162924.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170125_162852-2.jpg  

Last edited by vnabhi : 26th January 2017 at 13:38.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 21:18   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The Red Injun was last serviced in early January, 2016----

Here's what needs improvement:-
  1. The inspection ----
  2. Ford India seems to have inconsistent pricing for alloy wheel caps. I bought a couple two years back at the same center for Rs 390, but now the cost quoted for a single one is Rs 1000! . I'd rather be without a wheel cap!
On item number 2 related to alloy wheel caps, I recalled that even Metro Ford at Bangalore quoted Rs 1000 a piece, just like Vibrant Ford did. So I had reconciled to the idea of not having one that went missing on my right rear wheel. I was pretty sure I'd paid Rs 350 for a pair around 3 years ago.

But a couple of weeks ago someone had posted on Facebook that Ford India claims its cars are cheaper to maintain that those of competitors, with a price list of spares. I scoured the list and found no mention of alloy wheel caps.

So I found an opportunity to post my anguish with a picture of the alloy wheel cap and the atrocious price being charged by dealers. Someone escalated to Ford India and I got a call from a Regional Manager the very next day. He clarified that the part costs only Rs 175 a piece and not 1000. He felt the dealers could be confused with similar parts of the new Fiesta or the Figo. He said he would have the local dealer call me regarding its availability.

The very same day, I got a call from Vibrant Ford saying that the part was available with them and I could get it at any of their centers. He even volunteered to send it home, but I told him it was not that urgent. I finally went to their Sanat Nagar workshop today as I had some other work in the vicinity. They apologized for the confusion and quicly brought the cap for installation. They even gave me an extra cap for future use, as that part is not always in stock. So in all I paid Rs 355 for a pair.

I am glad Ford India responded so promptly to my post. I suggested to the RM that their dealers should be clear in their price quotes to avoid such ill feelings.

Here's a picture of the Red Injun with the alloy wheel caps in position:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_125359.jpg

The part in question:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_120650.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_120656.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 21:48   #756
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for this info. I'm missing three...
Old 17th February 2017, 22:13   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Thanks for this info. I'm missing three...
Gosh, do get them replaced as soon as you can. You can refer to this post in case the dealers quote an inflated figure. I've also posted on the Ford Figo group on Facebook.
Old 20th February 2017, 13:12   #758
BHPian

I was in the same boat a few months ago. So went to aliexpress and bought these. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...668112516.html
Vysakh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 16:40   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
I was in the same boat a few months ago. So went to aliexpress and bought these. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...668112516.html

They do look good. How much was the total cost, and the time taken for delivery? They look better in my opinion.

I hope they fit properly. The new one I bought did not fit properly on the right rear wheel and was slipping off. So they removed the one from the front wheel (they had to remove the wheel) and put it there, and the new one on the front wheel. As they had those automated screw drivers and the car was elevated on a ramp, it was pretty quick. It would have been laborious if I'd tried it on my own.
Old 20th February 2017, 16:49   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
They do look good. How much was the total cost, and the time taken for delivery? They look better in my opinion.

I hope they fit properly. The new one I bought did not fit properly on the right rear wheel and was slipping off. So they removed the one from the front wheel (they had to remove the wheel) and put it there, and the new one on the front wheel. As they had those automated screw drivers and the car was elevated on a ramp, it was pretty quick. It would have been laborious if I'd tried it on my own.
The set of 4 costs 9.8$ and with a 10Re fevikwik the total cost is just about 700. Took around 25 days to reach with the basic free chinapost delivery. They are an mm or so loose and so the fevikwik was necessary.

They're plastic though and prone to scratches. So the glossy black (which I took) is becoming a dull black now.
Vysakh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:11   #761
Senior - BHPian

As my 'happy pocket' service last month led to a suggestion that I should change my drive belt soon, I found time to visit Vibrant Ford last week. The SA gave me an estimate of 45 minutes to get the job done and said it would cost around 1800/-. The belt kit was an imported one for the Fiesta and hence it was expensive when compared to new-gen Fords in India. I gave him the green signal to carry on.

I stood beside the car to see the process. The car was jacked up till head level of the technician, and he started unscrewing the cover that was close to the right wheel, beside the engine block. He also placed a new belt kit beside the car. I inspected it and found out that it was imported in November, 2016. It consists of a small belt for the AC and a larger one for the other accessories.

He removed both the belts in about 20 minutes and showed me a few abrasions on the larger belt that were not too alarming, but still could pose a problem at high speeds. He then took the help of another technician to place the new belts on the pulleys. In the process, the larger belt got slightly shredded! Imagine an imported belt getting shredded so easily! Luckily it happened then and there, and they did not have another kit in stock. They asked me to wait for a couple of hours to get it from their outlet in Balanagar. As I did not have that much time, they fixed the old pair back and asked me to come in the next few days. I plan to go there soon and get it done. I'll post a few pictures soon.
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:30   #762
BHPian

Did you get the timing belt changed? I got timing and drive belt changed couple of months back. Odo is at 74k. Bill details are posted in Figo group
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:44   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Did you get the timing belt changed? I got timing and drive belt changed couple of months back. Odo is at 74k. Bill details are posted in Figo group
Not yet, but I plan to do it at a similar odo reading. Now it is around 60100 kms.
Old 22nd February 2017, 14:53   #764
Senior - BHPian

Below are the pictures of the drive belt kit change:

The cover for the drive belts in front of the drive shaft beside the curved pipe at the top middle:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_115626.jpg

Side view of the same cover from beside the right wheel:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_123119.jpg

The belt kit:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_120003.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_120207.jpg

The old belts. Notice the outer edge of the larger belt is slightly frayed:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_120359.jpg

The pulley being adjusted to mount the new belt:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_120504.jpg

The new belt that got shredded in the front part:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170217_121229.jpg
Old 10th March 2017, 19:18   #765
Senior - BHPian

Last week I called Vibrant Ford to check if they've replenished their stock of drive belt kits. They said they did have their stock moved from their Balanagar center. Meanwhile, based on posts by ajay380 and after reading the horror stories on this forum on the thread related to timing belt failures, I thought it would be foolish to wait for the 70 k kms mark to change the timing belt.I was aware of the Ford recommended interval of 1 lakh kms, but unaware of the 5 year period. And the Red Injun was going to complete 10 years!

So I asked them regarding stock of timing belt, tensioner and water pump. They said they had all of them, except water pump for the petrol model. But they said I could get the water pump done later, based on their inspection. They said they would remove and inspect it, and also check for squeaking sounds after installing the new timing belt. If it was found to be bad, they would replace that too, as they were expecting stock soon. They wanted a full day to complete the job.

As I did not want them to rush through the process, I gave the car to them around lunch time, and asked them to return it the next afternoon. They called me the next day after lunch and said the car would be ready by 3 pm, and that the water pump was found to be ok. They also said that if the pump fails, only coolant would leak and the engine would heat up, but there would be no disastrous consequences as in the case of a timing belt failure.

The bill came to Rs 10292, of which the labour was a bit above Rs 3000. The timing belt was hardly Rs 600, but the tensioner pulley was around Rs 4000! The drive belt kit was around 1800. The only portion of the bill that appeared a bit high was Rs 1050 charged under the head 'Coolant Reservoir'. When asked, the SA said it was for removing, inspecting and re-installing the water pump, and for topping up coolant that was lost in the process. I wasn't technically strong to argue, so I let that be.

Post belt change, I could not spot any issues with the car, after driving 100 kms, including a trip to the airport. The only slight change was that the slightly muted engine sound while changing gears has vanished. So it looks like the hardened belts were changed at the right time! But a physical inspection of the belts showed no damage, except the longer drive belt was slightly frayed on the edge at one spot. I'd posted a picture of that earlier.

Below are the parts changed and the bill:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170304_192243.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170304_192300.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170310_121634.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170310_121649.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20170310_121701.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks