Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2016, 10:53   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Refreshing a 2011 Ford Fiesta SXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
1. The front tires have almost gone 70% bald.
a. Is it ok to change just the front tires or is it best to change all four?
You definitely need to change all four tyres. Not just the two.
Quote:
b. While changing, is it an option to upgrade tires to another inch or would that entail changing the wheels?
Changing wheels is required only if you go too wide.
Quote:
c. Does it make for a smoother ride if replaced with wider tires? From stock wheels to what?
Well, technically an increase in sidewall should give you more comfort. However, you need to choose the right upsize. Check the tyre upsize threads for the right size.
Quote:
d. For some reason the puncture repair guy suggested Bridgestone. Is there merit?
Well, again, I would recommend to check the tyre upgrade threads to get detailed reviews on each brand.
Quote:
2. The CD player is dated. Want to get a good DVD player in its place. Any suggestions?
The stock HU is decent. You need to change the speakers first. If you are still unhappy, change the HU.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 18:03   #707
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

I had changed all four tyres of my SXi when it was 30K kms. I had changed them into Michelin Energy XM2s. After that, they have clocked 40000 kms "quietly", without even a single trouble.
Are you done with the replacement?
Vipin.
Old 17th July 2016, 11:23   #708
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm have not really had the need to post before in the non vintage and classic car section prior to this but I've had a recent problem with my car so need help.

I own a 2007 Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI (non ABS) Duratec petrol. The following happened yesterday, while driving back home from work:

- the ac stopped cooling gradually

- the temp meter needle started climbing very fast and went to full red

- the engine was running so hot that the coolant boiled over and
steamed/gushed out from the coolant tank cover onto the road.

I switched the ignition off and pushed the car to the side of the road awaiting my mechanic. After topping up with water, we saw that there are no leaks in the cooling hoses. Resumed our journey with ac on and the ac started cooling normally. After 20 min, the ac stopped cooling again and the temp needle started rising rapidly with coolant boiling over etc. Parked in a side-lane and we then realised that the radiator fan is coming on erratically. Although the engine was so hot, it wasn't running. Only when we put the ac switch on, the fan eventually started but then after a while it stopped and the coolant started boiling over again.

So we decided to cool down the engine completely, topped up water and then without the ac, drove back home with the temp need at the normal halfway mark through the remaining 20 min back home.

Now my question is, what could be the possible problems? We are guessing that the fan switch or resistor would be the culprit since it seems that the erratic working of the fan is causing the problems i.e. it's not cooling down the engine as its not coming on when its supposed to.

I don't unnecessarily want to take the car to the ford a.s.c. in Kolkata since I had a bad experience with them the last time and their policy is replace en mass without diagnosing.

We've opened the radiator fan sensor switch today and think its the culprit.

Also some photos of the part that we've opened and some of the engine area (head cover opened) in case any of you have pointers on what else may be causing the faulty fan function. I'm clueless on the location of sensors on newer cars so if something else should be checked, please highlight it in the photo.

Thanks in advance,

Prithvi Tagore
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-resistor1.jpg  

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-resistor2.jpg  

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-engine1.jpg  

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-engine2.jpg  

Old 17th July 2016, 14:59   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi guys, I'----snip----- photo.

Thanks in advance,

Prithvi Tagore
I think it's the thermostat at fault. Have your fng remove it. The fan should stay on constantly. If that is the case, then a replacement thermostat will be around 1k. It's easily accessible, removable and putable (?)
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 05:42   #710
Senior - BHPian

@MBZ--Sorry for the delayed response, but I guess it could be a malfunctioning AC fan motor. I had the same issue when the car was 2.5 years old. It was replaced under EW, else would have costed around 4500 INR.
Old 31st July 2016, 13:08   #711
Senior - BHPian

I changed all 5 tyres of my Fiesta 1.6 sxi at 40k to yokohama earth1 and they are going good. my car is now aged more than 6.5 years but still the petrol head is going good.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 23:31   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Ok guys, here are the pictures I promised. Sorry for the delay, and please excuse the clarity. Baring a few scars and dings, the car still shines as if it is a new one.

Attachment 1488760

Attachment 1488761

Attachment 1488762

Attachment 1488763

Attachment 1488764
An absolute pleasure to see such a meticulously maintained Fiesta! Thank you for sharing these pictures of your ride!

BTW, what size are the tires you have on them? It fills the wheel arches nicely, and seem to be higher profile ones, so curious. Couldn't make out from the pictures, hence asking. Apologies if you've already answered this elsewhere
Old 3rd August 2016, 09:41   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the onset of monsoon and my odo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprash75 View Post
An absolute pleasure to see such a meticulously maintained Fiesta!...answered this elsewhere
Thank you for your kind words. Those are 185/65/14 Michelin XM2s. Background posts are quoted above.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 26th January 2017 at 21:16. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts when replying. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Old 3rd August 2016, 14:57   #714

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. Those are 185/65/14 Michelin XM2s. Background posts are quoted above.
Thanks, vnabhi.

I'd considered the 185/65 too when I upgraded from the stock 175/65; especially since the profile would have increased perceptibly. But the resultant speedo error exceeding 2%, and fears of Ford nullifying the warranty on the suspension held me back. I eventually settled for 195/60.
jprash75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:12   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprash75 View Post
Thanks, vnabhi.

I'd considered the 185/65 too when I upgraded from the stock 175/65; especially since the profile would have increased perceptibly. But the resultant speedo error exceeding 2%, and fears of Ford nullifying the warranty on the suspension held me back. I eventually settled for 195/60.
The difference is only 2% with 185/65. Even with 195/60, you stand the risk of losing warranty as it does not conform to the Ford standards.
Btw, what make did you go for, and can we have pictures please?
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:18   #716
BHPian

Quote:
The difference is only 2% with 185/65. Even with 195/60, you stand the risk of losing warranty as it does not conform to the Ford standards.
Are you sure that if we upsize the tyre against the stock measure, we will loose warranty??

And it can affect the warranty of only certain parts associated with tyres/wheels or for all parts it will be affecting
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:37   #717

Quote:
You are right, the increase was only 2.23%. But the 1.11% with the 195/60 seemed a little "safer" going by the books ☺

Went for the Turanza AR10. Had gone with the intent of getting the ER60, but they didn't have it in stock for 195/60 at that time.

Had posted a pic in petrolhead_neel's thread (upon his request), but that's a profile pic, so the tread is not really visible. Will take one and post soon.

Once again, thank you for responding!
jprash75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 18:42   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Are you sure that if we upsize the tyre against the stock measure, we will loose warranty??

And it can affect the warranty of only certain parts associated with tyres/wheels or for all parts it will be affecting
There's a chance of losing warranty on suspension and tyres. But it depends on your local FASS. I got my wheel bearing replaced under warranty when the car was only 4 months old, despite the 185/65 tyres.
Old 3rd August 2016, 20:27   #719

Quote:
There's a chance of losing warranty on suspension and tyres. But it depends on your local FASS. I got my wheel bearing replaced under warranty when the car was only 4 months old, despite the 185/65 tyres.
Vnabhi's right. These things tend to be subject to interpretation, and is more or less at the discretion of the ASC. And to be fair, the ASCs tend to be a lot more accommodating than the OEMs themselves. If you ask Ford, they'll probably refer to a rule-book and tell you that anything that is a non-OEM-spec fitment will null the warranty - be it a performance enhancing filter, or a tyre upsize.

The point is, if you are nearing the end of your warranty period, it doesn't matter anyways. Most of us are level headed blokes, and we are unlikely to go overboard in such matters. As long as we stick to the fundamental limits of mechanical engineering, and we can all afford to give ourselves some leeway, isn't it?

And for those of us lesser enlightened mortals like me, forums like these are the place to turn to for some sane advice.

I was reading a wonderful thread by one of our incredibly talented (and hands-on) mates here - PratikPatel - where he's solved one of the perennial woes that have plagued all generations of the Fiesta - the not-so-confidence-inspiring brakes. With some sound engineering advice, he not only upgraded the stock discs & calipers, but even got a new mounting bracket machined out of good old MS, to be able to take on the upgraded discs & calipers.

As he himself puts it "The result of all this effort is a mounting system that is as good if not better than the stock OEM system."

Net of it - don't make the mistake of being paranoid (to the extent that I was, when I upgraded my tyres the day after taking delivery of the car) about warranty getting nullified - so long as you don't go overboard with the "bigger is better" theory. More so, if you've run on the stock tyres for a couple of years, then the statistical probabilities of you being to avail of anything under warranty is diminished in any case.

So, go for it!
jprash75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:34   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Here is a short video of 0-100 run captured using Xiaomi Yi Camera Ulysse Speedometer clocked this run at 14.09s. 12s should be possible
That engine sound is intoxicating ....

Now after seeing and more importantly hearing that sound, I want one Fiesta 1.6!!

Nice ride and wish you many more happy miles with it!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed