Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2017, 13:16   #826
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Sorry for bumping up an old post. But my Fiesta threw up these codes when I checked at the service centre today.
Did it happen in yours? If yes, did you figure out what caused them, and how to fix it?

In mine, the CEL came on randomly one night after starting it up. Had driven it few kms before parking there, and it wasn't there that time. The light stayed on for a day, and disappeared the next morning.
Hi, In my case no CEL came up but I found them once I got OBD scanner. Usually from what I have read, timing advance goes for a toss if knock sensor is gone. and it usually never fails. I did not observe anything like that. So when I went to FASS about 4 months ago, asked them to clean the connectors and after that error code did not appear till few weeks back. I have not rechecked recently though.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2017, 13:19   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
.. Usually from what I have read, timing advance goes for a toss if knock sensor is gone. and it usually never fails. I did not observe anything like that.
Same in my case as well. The light just came on, but there was no telltale sign of any engine issue. Power delivery was normal, FE was normal, etc. So hopefully, simple cleaning of the connectors should solve my issue.
Thanks for your response.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 00:42   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Same in my case as well. The light just came on, but there was no telltale sign of any engine issue. Power delivery was normal, FE was normal, etc. So hopefully, simple cleaning of the connectors should solve my issue.
Thanks for your response.
Looks like you guys are lucky! When I got the CEL on cold winter mornings a few years ago, there was a perceptible drop in power. However I did not even drive a few meters with the light. Instead I switched off the engine and on again, and the light did not haunt me any longer.

For me, the 'Italian treatment' sorted out the issue, which was suspected to be a dirty throttle body. A tankful of 95 Octane fuel followed by a high speed run on the ORR kicked the symptoms out forever.
Old 20th October 2017, 02:36   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Looks like you guys are lucky! When I got the CEL on cold winter mornings a few years ago, there was a perceptible drop in power. However I did not even drive a few meters with the light. Instead I switched off the engine and on again, and the light did not haunt me any longer.

For me, the 'Italian treatment' sorted out the issue, which was suspected to be a dirty throttle body. A tankful of 95 Octane fuel followed by a high speed run on the ORR kicked the symptoms out forever.

Happy to hear your problems are sorted. But not very likely due to what you think.

Whereas CEL pop ups may come and go a dirty throttle body isn't a condition that triggers a CEL. Fuel, any fuel, wont do anything to your throttle body either, because only clean air passes through.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 07:42   #830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Happy to hear your problems are sorted. But not very likely due to what you think.

Whereas CEL pop ups may come and go a dirty throttle body isn't a condition that triggers a CEL. Fuel, any fuel, wont do anything to your throttle body either, because only clean air passes through.

Jeroen
A dirty throttle body in the 1.6 gets stuck and always triggers a CEL. It's a recognised quirk on the fiesta. All of them on the firm, mine included, have done this at some time.
Though they don't get dirty due to bad fuel, yeah.

Last edited by mayankk : 20th October 2017 at 07:44.
Old 20th October 2017, 09:32   #831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
A dirty throttle body in the 1.6 gets stuck and always triggers a CEL. It's a recognised quirk on the fiesta. All of them on the firm, mine included, have done this at some time.
Though they don't get dirty due to bad fuel, yeah.
Exactly, dirt doesn’t tricker a CEL, nothing measure dirt. Something stuck can, and there are other reasons the throttle body can throw a CEL too, (bad sensor, poor connection), but (clean) fuel and driving fast doesn’t fix it any of them.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 20th October 2017 at 09:34.
Old 21st October 2017, 23:01   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, dirt doesn’t tricker a CEL, nothing measure dirt. Something stuck can, and there are other reasons the throttle body can throw a CEL too, (bad sensor, poor connection), but (clean) fuel and driving fast doesn’t fix it any of them.

Jeroen
Somehow, those two things worked for me! Not sure what the real reason is, after reading your opinion. I did nothing other than getting the car scanned by FASS, and they said it was perhaps due to a wiring error. They reset the error, and said it would not recur. It did recur in the following winter, but the two things I did solved the issue for the past 6 years!
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:01   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Somehow, those two things worked for me! Not sure what the real reason is, after reading your opinion. I did nothing other than getting the car scanned by FASS, and they said it was perhaps due to a wiring error. They reset the error, and said it would not recur. It did recur in the following winter, but the two things I did solved the issue for the past 6 years!

These were just a few spurious problems. A connector dirty/oxidized, wiring going a bit wonky, earthing points rusting etc. At some point in time it will throw a code and or pop the CEL. As a car gets older they tend to get more prone to it, obviously. Wiring gets brittles, more corrosion, oxidation, dirt on contacts, inside connectors etc.

Some cars are more prone to it. I must admit I have had very few problems with all of our Fiesta’s. But for instance I just helped my neighbour get a Peugeot 307 ready to be sold on. They often suffer from these problems.It had a CEL and an ABS light on and we found initially 7 DTCs’. Resetted them and they just stayed away!

Very often I find the best course of remedy is to just reset. If I feel like it, I might even clean the connectors of the items involved, look at the wiring etc. Sometimes just fiddling with it, is enough to cure the problem.

I haven’t kept an exact count, but probably 3/4 of the DTC’s I have re-setted never ever show up again. Spurious problems, any spurious problem can be a real PITA to diagnose and trouble shoot. So if you can make them disappear for a good time without quite understanding why and how, that is fine by me

So your those two things did not do anything. It’s believe it’s just coincidence.

Enjoy your Fiesta. They are great little cars!

Jeroen
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:14   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These were just a few spurious problems. A connector dirty/oxidized, wiring going a bit wonky, earthing points rusting etc. At some point in time it will throw a code and or pop the CEL. As a car gets older they tend to get more prone to it, obviously. Wiring gets brittles, more corrosion, oxidation, dirt on contacts, inside connectors etc.

So your those two things did not do anything. It’s believe it’s just coincidence.

Enjoy your Fiesta. They are great little cars!

Jeroen
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. As you own so many Fiestas, you certainly seem to have good knowledge of their niggles.Looks like I was lucky. But I guess this issue is only with petrol Fiestas. I have not had any such issue with my diesel Figo.

But how does one reset the error? Any special tool needed for that?

I recall there was a post by Jerry_can on how to clean the throttle body in the Fiesta. I was planning to do something similar, but the problem did not recur.
Old 22nd October 2017, 12:31   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But how does one reset the error? Any special tool needed for that?
Thanks, there are two ways about it.

You could just simply disconnect the battery and reconnect after thirty seconds. That might already do the trick. Especially on older cars

If not, then you need a special tool, a so called OBD (on board diagnostic) analyser or scanner with a reset function.

Here is mine in action on my neighbour’s Peugeot 307.

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_1519.jpg

Have a look here for some more info on my OBD scanner:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4161599

And here are some jobs I have been using this one (and another PC based OBD analyser on some of the jobs I’ve done recently)

There are a few threads on OBD on the forum. There are simple version that run as an app of your smart phone. I don’t know if those have re-set functions. Probably not.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...eo-spider.html
Old 9th December 2017, 22:17   #836
BHPian

A few days ago, my Fiesta 1.4 was making a peculiar humming noise while running. It was a dusturbing and irritating kind of noise. It used to be there earlier too. But now and then if not regularly and constantly. Not even a single time when I took it to workshop though.

Since its 1.2 lac kms service was due this time, I got an appointment at the nearest Ford service centre. Since I have been travelling far from my workplace, the nearest one now was the PVS Ford at Cannanore.

But interestingly, the noise was not there on the day of service! I still explained it to the service advisor and the mechanic. They took the car to a thorough road test. But could not eventually find anything wrong.

So, the service was only a routine process of changing engine oil etc. I had told them that pulley and timing belt etc were already changed in the 90000 kms service.

But after a day of service, the noise is back now. I took it to a local car care workshop in this evening since the Ford service station is a clean fifty kms away. A local mechanic's place has instatnly identified the issue in the bearing of the tensioner pulley. He said he can change the bearing with original part but he will take time to procure the part. Three days. That is not a problem to me anyway. But there is another issue.

That is, he is not sure whether the bearing is available as an independent part or whether the entire tensioner assembly will have to be replaced.

Any advice on these will be of great help. Will it be necessary to change the entire assembly itself? Or is it that the new bearing will take care of the problem with the existing tensioner pulley?

Vip.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 9th December 2017 at 22:26.
Old 9th December 2017, 23:25   #837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
That is, he is not sure whether the bearing is available as an independent part or whether the entire tensioner assembly will have to be replaced.

Any advice on these will be of great help. Will it be necessary to change the entire assembly itself? Or is it that the new bearing will take care of the problem with the existing tensioner pulley?

Vip.

If the bearing is the problem and the bearing is available and your guy knows how to replace it and has the tools I don't see any issues replacing just the bearing. Ford replaces typically the whole assembly because its a lot easier. Not so much in India, but in most western countries labour is really expensive, so replacing the whole assembly is just quicker and maybe even a bit cheaper. But again, if you know what you are doing there is nothing against just replacing the bearing. Its what I would do most likely too.

Jeroen
Old 28th December 2017, 09:31   #838
BHPian

I use a 2014 Ford Classic with ABS (53000 kms on ODO). Offlate started getting the humming noise especially while doing high speed cornerings and while coasting before stopping.

Got to know that rRear Left wheel bearing are to be replaced.

-Are they still priced very hefty?

-My car is under the 4th year extended warranty. Will the bearing replacement get covered under the warranty?

-ALso the ASS people told there is sligh leakage in the front left suspension whicch can go for further few 1000 kms without issues. Once we start getting Thud noise from suspension, we could think of replacing it. Is it normal to get this leakage in suspensions?

Awaiting inputs from other experienced BHPians
Old 29th December 2017, 22:47   #839
BHPian

I have a peculiar problem in my Fiesta 1.6.

No matter on a gear or idle, my car doesn't go above 5500 rpm and the speed gets stuck too, I have to shift to a higher gear to speed up.

I took the car to FASS and they cleared the code and cleaned the throttle body but the issue was persistent. They are clueless on the issue. Can anybody help?

TIA
Old 30th December 2017, 00:53   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
I have a peculiar problem in my Fiesta 1.6.

No matter on a gear or idle, my car doesn't go above 5500 rpm and the speed gets stuck too, I have to shift to a higher gear to speed up.

I took the car to FASS and they cleared the code and cleaned the throttle body but the issue was persistent. They are clueless on the issue. Can anybody help?

TIA
Very strange. Have never heard of something like this for this particular car. Did you totally reset the ECU? I am just guessing, and I might be totally wrong, that it's the throttle position sensor or something of that sort? Also, did this start happening all of a sudden? Are your air filter/fuel filter alright? I once read in a forum that dirty air/fuel filters may cause the ECU to limit RPM, but that was for a different car.

Keep us posted, I am really curious about this issue. Take care.

Neel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks