Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 15:37   #601
BHPian

re: My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!

My 1.6S Fiesta has a couple of issues... first, there is a suspension noise coming from the front. The service advisor at Talera Ford, Wagholi, Pune says the tie-rod and ball joints have worn out. Replacing them would cost 12k with labor charges.
Second issue is the AC is pulling in outside air (smoke, dust, smell) even when put in recirculation mode. On opening the dashboard and checking it, the advisor says, the whole AC door assembly needs to be changed and no child part is available for the same. Replacing the same would cost Rs 16k. Are those cost justifiable? Is it better to go with what the authorised service centre and the service advisor? Taller Ford does give back the old damaged parts after the service is done.
Old 4th November 2015, 17:15   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
My 1.6S Fiesta has a couple of issues... first, there is a suspension noise coming from the front. The service advisor at Talera Ford, Wagholi, Pune says the tie-rod and ball joints have worn out. Replacing them would cost 12k with labor charges.
Second issue is the AC is pulling in outside air (smoke, dust, smell) even when put in recirculation mode. On opening the dashboard and checking it, the advisor says, the whole AC door assembly needs to be changed and no child part is available for the same. Replacing the same would cost Rs 16k. Are those cost justifiable? Is it better to go with what the authorised service centre and the service advisor? Taller Ford does give back the old damaged parts after the service is done.
I have been collecting parts for the past 5 years. Only for the satisfaction of knowing that a different unit from the bad one in the car.No other use.
Suspension and AC, these are easily diagnosed outside. You should try at some known/recommended FNG.
Your ford guy's first diagnosis seems feasible. Typically, ford people will not pinpoint to a specific sub part. You can use that diagnosis , tell a local guy to check if tie rod and ball joints are out.
For the AC, thats a standard reply. No cool air? AC gone. No hot air, AC gone. No electricity at home? AC gone. This, definitely from FNG.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 23:15   #603
Senior - BHPian

@streetfighter--I got my tie rods and ball joints changed last year. You can scroll up a few pages for details.

As regards AC, my colleague had the same issue with his Ikon, and Ford guys gave him a similar quote. He went to a local AC guy and got the fresh air inlet dummied. So now the car runs only in recirculation mode. He paid peanuts for it.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 09:19   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

vnabhi, sorry for posting constantly on your thread, but streetfighter looked like he was on his way to get gypped.

I just wanted to check with you regarding the MID.
Has a tankful estimate ever gone above 550 for you? whats the maximum you've gotten from a tank, actual kms covered?
Old 5th November 2015, 12:27   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
vnabhi, sorry for posting constantly on your thread, but streetfighter looked like he was on his way to get gypped.
The purpose of posting here was to not get gypped I'm going back to the service centre to not get the AC work done.

@vnabhi Permanently closing the fresh air inlet is a good cost-effective idea, you always have 4 windows whenever you need fresh air.

Thank you guys !

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th November 2015 at 12:45. Reason: Fixing Quotes.
streetfighter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2015, 22:44   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

I just wanted to check with you regarding the MID.
Has a tankful estimate ever gone above 550 for you? whats the maximum you've gotten from a tank, actual kms covered?
Sorry for the late response, as I got to see this post only now. Almost 95 % of the 52300 kms munched so far was in Hyderabad city, where traffic is moderately heavy. So in a normal refill, the DTE shows around 515 to 525 kms (rarely 490).

But the only few times it showed a higher figure was:
  1. During my return from Mumbai when the car was new. It showed a reading of 670 kms---the highest ever! And that was after a 500 km drive at speeds that did not exceed 110, without AC!
  2. For the first 2 tankfuls after my AC evaporator coil was replaced a few months ago. The DTE went up to 570 to 580 soon after that, but later fell down to the normal figures.
  3. When I changed my battery 3 years back.
Hope this helps. No problemo, if you use this thread to discuss the Fiesta.
Old 1st December 2015, 14:59   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
To keep the engine smooth and free from carbon deposits, I tanked up with BP 97 octane last week: the previous time was around 2 years back. The cost per liter was around 19 INR more, but the benefits of a smooth and clean engine were alluring. The effect on the engine sounds at low speeds was immediately noticeable, but the high revvs still produce that addictive snarl that we all love so much, though slightly muted.
Topped up again with BP Speed 97 today. The FE from prior refill was 11.67 kmpl, with almost all the running confined to city traffic, save a lone, high-speeed trip via ORR to the airport. The cost per liter was 83.73, which seems easy on the pocket, considering that I was paying almost the same amount a year ago for normal petrol.

Red Injun continues to thrill its owner, working flawlessly over so many years. One of the main reasons that I drive to work is to enjoy the thrill of driving her, though I have the option to work from home as long as I want.
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:45   #608
BHPian

Got the black roofing done on the car from 3M. Let me know what you guys think..
Attached Thumbnails
My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20151202_180305690_hdre.jpg  

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20151202_191827866e.jpg  

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20151202_192056225e.jpg  

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-img_20151202_192336673e.jpg  

Starscream1188 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 15:03   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream1188 View Post
Got the black roofing done on the car from 3M. Let me know what you guys think..
I'm seeing this for the first time on a Fiesta. I guess I'm used to stock colours, but I do find it good on the Rapid or Vento.

Won't the black surface increase the heat inside the car, causing the AC to work harder?
Old 9th December 2015, 15:15   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Hate the sun film ban. The un-tinted rear windscreen stands out like a sore thumb along with the black roof.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 21:52   #611
Senior - BHPian

With 16 months and 5700 kms passing by, I felt it was time to get the car serviced at FASS. There is also a discount running this week, for which I'd got an sms. The odo read 53020 clicks.

Till now, I wanted to push the car till 7500 kms before getting it serviced, keeping in mind the fact that I'd used synthetic oil for the first time last time. And normally synthetic oil is good for 10000 kms. But the gap between service would have been more than 19 months for that mileage to be attained, which I felt was not good for the car.

So I got the car picked up by Mody Ford, who promptly arrived at the scheduled time. There were only 3 points in my list:
  1. Brakes not grabbing enough, despite the new rotors and pads during last service.
  2. Glove box lamp not working.
  3. Alloys looking dull---asked them to use special polish and charge whatever they wanted to.
I got an sms giving a service estimate of Rs 3700 for bare service, excluding the above tasks. The SA called me and said the brake disks were no longer under warranty, but he'd get them skimmed with a lathe machine outside to get rid of several lines that were caused by dust, etc.

He also said they'd use some special polish for the alloys and charge around 700 for the job, which I agreed to.

But later, he called again and said they'd found the windshield water reservoir had developed some cracks, and whatever water/ fluid was poured into it was leaking out quickly. Surprising, as I'd never felt loss of water when i used it in the rainy season. But i gave them the benefit of doubt and asked for the replacement cost. Guess how much?

A whopping 2500 bucks! . The part comes with the motor, and cannot be bought separately.But having no other option, I gave them the green signal. I did not want a feviquick kind of jugaad, as that would leak again sometime.

I finally went in the evening to pick up my car. The TD revealed improved grab during braking, which is what I wanted. But still not on par with my Figo.

The total service cost including all cost came to Rs 7901, after applying the current discounts. They did not charge for the skimming of rotors as a goodwill gesture! Cheers to them for that!

I'll post copies of the bill tomorrow. As of now, Red Injun is back to its pristine glory!

Last edited by vnabhi : 6th January 2016 at 21:53.
Old 7th January 2016, 09:36   #612
Senior - BHPian

Here's a copy of the bill for the service by FASS yesterday:

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta-service.jpg

My Ford Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 13.7 years and dies by drowning!-fiesta-service1.jpg
Old 7th January 2016, 13:50   #613
BHPian

Quote:
But later, he called again and said they'd found the windshield water reservoir had developed some cracks, and whatever water/ fluid was poured into it was leaking out quickly. Surprising, as I'd never felt loss of water when i used it in the rainy season. But i gave them the benefit of doubt and asked for the replacement cost. Guess how much?

A whopping 2500 bucks! . The part comes with the motor, and cannot be bought separately.But having no other option, I gave them the green signal. I did not want a feviquick kind of jugaad, as that would leak again sometime.
This had happened to my fiesta too. The reservoir cracked around the 60k kms mark and Ford service center quoted around 3k for replacement. I gave it to a FNG who put M-seal on it for free and it has been holding good for 6 months now. Lets see how much longer it holds.
praveen_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 22:29   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
This had happened to my fiesta too. The reservoir cracked around the 60k kms mark and Ford service center quoted around 3k for replacement. I gave it to a FNG who put M-seal on it for free and it has been holding good for 6 months now. Lets see how much longer it holds.
That sounds like a neat alternative. Let us hope it lasts long enough. I could have tried that option, but wanted my car to be in as good a shape as possible. It is likely that parts for the Classic may not be available after another few years. So better now than later was my motto.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 23:43   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That sounds like a neat alternative. Let us hope it lasts long enough. I could have tried that option, but wanted my car to be in as good a shape as possible. It is likely that parts for the Classic may not be available after another few years. So better now than later was my motto.
Hi vnabhi,
Good that you replaced the tank thinking that it may not be available easily after some years.

Hope you have collected the old tank. You can properly fix the crack with M-seal and keep it with you for potential future use. It will save your time and money both.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks