Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 21:38   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Should I get this changed ?? Please see pic below.

It's done 40k km's and now thinking of upsizing to 185 Yokohamas A Drive's.
By all means, yes!

Its a torn tyre. And anyway, what are you doing with 40K old 175 width tyres on a Verna CRDI?

Get 185/65 (or 195/60) R 14 Yoko A Drives. If you want something sportier, maybe Yoko ES100s.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:17   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
By all means, yes!

Its a torn tyre. And anyway, what are you doing with 40K old 175 width tyres on a Verna CRDI?

Get 185/65 (or 195/60) R 14 Yoko A Drives. If you want something sportier, maybe Yoko ES100s.
I think for 185 you can retain the same 5j rims. For 195 you'l need to get 6j alloys.
Old 28th August 2010, 22:15   #108
Senior - BHPian

yes for 185 you can use the OE RIMs anything over this will be a border case and may case problem on cornering fast.
Old 30th August 2010, 14:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the advise. Will be getting 185/65 on stock rims. Do not need alloys.

Will get this in a week when I go to Delhi.

Till then will just drive carefully
Old 4th September 2010, 13:14   #110
Senior - BHPian

Tyres Changed & Service Done

Got 4 tyres changed at 40850 km's.

Bought Yokohama C Drive's and one upsize 185/65/R14. No alloys added BUT plan to get them shortly.

Also got engine oil changed since had not gotten it changed since last 8 months !!

Got Castrol CRB I think. 5 litre pack cost 1180. Also Oil Filter.

And a full service also done. Now I need to get the brake pads changed as advised by the service guy.

The car definitely drives a lot better than previously. I kept an old tyre which was in good shape as spare.

Will post a few pics of the new tyres and car shortly.

My only 2 pending expenses on the car is getting 4 alloys ( 15k ) and a Pete's Box ( 24k ) which I feel and am told will bring the car to a new level of enjoyment and driveability.
Old 4th September 2010, 15:09   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Got 4 tyres changed at 40850 km's.

Bought Yokohama C Drive's and one upsize 185/65/R14. No alloys added BUT plan to get them shortly.

Also got engine oil changed since had not gotten it changed since last 8 months !!

Got Castrol CRB I think. 5 litre pack cost 1180. Also Oil Filter.

And a full service also done. Now I need to get the brake pads changed as advised by the service guy.

The car definitely drives a lot better than previously. I kept an old tyre which was in good shape as spare.

Will post a few pics of the new tyres and car shortly.

My only 2 pending expenses on the car is getting 4 alloys ( 15k ) and a Pete's Box ( 24k ) which I feel and am told will bring the car to a new level of enjoyment and driveability.
How many km had you driven in these 8 months? Recommended oil change interval is 10000km.
And also pete's on a verna running 185 tires?
Old 4th September 2010, 19:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
How many km had you driven in these 8 months? Recommended oil change interval is 10000km.
And also pete's on a verna running 185 tires?
I did 12000 km's in these 8 months So no worries.

What's wrong with Pete's on a 185 size tyre ? I know many who have this combination. 195 also is a good size.

Let's see - I am not plonking in the Pete's at least for 6 months.
Old 4th September 2010, 19:44   #113
BHPian

Quote:
I did 12000 km's in these 8 months So no worries.

What's wrong with Pete's on a 185 size tyre ? I know many who have this combination. 195 also is a good size.

Let's see - I am not plonking in the Pete's at least for 6 months.
Somehow the 185s never inspired much confidence even on a stock verna. I dont know how it 'll be with a pete's box. I think hellstar should be able to tell us more about that
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:12   #114
Senior - BHPian

Brake Pads changed for 1st time at 47700 km's !!

I know this will come as a shock to most of the people here BUT I just checked all my service bills and just noticed that never in the last 47,700 km's or 30 months have I changed the brake pads on my Verna !

Today I noticed a small ' hiss ' sound when I applied the brakes and I went straight to the service centre which is 2 minutes from my house. Knew the mechanic over there, and told him to open the front wheels and have a look.

He told me they were completely gone and another few days and the brakes would have eaten into the discs which would have been a costly affair and dangerous too !

I am supposed to go to Jaipur for New Years and immediately asked him to put new pads. Cost - 1259=00 + Labour = Total 1450.00 Rupees. 50 Rupees tip.

But I guess I am probably the only Verna owner ever who has done so much without ever changing !!

The Verna rocks
Old 24th April 2011, 14:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

re: White Rocket - Verna CRDi Base w/o ABS -65,555 kms Update

Hi Varun, felt nice to go through your Verna report. Congratulations on getting a gem of a car. It's been four months now & there's been no update on this thread, guess your White Rocket is simply rocking. In the coming months I am planning to upgrade from my current Indica to a 3 box sedan & top of the list is the new Verna RB going to be launched soon. The specs of the new Verna are mouth watering, the only concern would be the pricing. Am ready to stretch till 10L. But do you think it would be worth to go for the new Verna at all?
Old 24th April 2011, 17:08   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know this will come as a shock to most of the people here BUT I just checked all my service bills and just noticed that never in the last 47,700 km's or 30 months have I changed the brake pads on my Verna !

Today I noticed a small ' hiss ' sound when I applied the brakes and I went straight to the service centre which is 2 minutes from my house. Knew the mechanic over there, and told him to open the front wheels and have a look.

He told me they were completely gone and another few days and the brakes would have eaten into the discs which would have been a costly affair and dangerous too !

I am supposed to go to Jaipur for New Years and immediately asked him to put new pads. Cost - 1259=00 + Labour = Total 1450.00 Rupees. 50 Rupees tip.

But I guess I am probably the only Verna owner ever who has done so much without ever changing !!

The Verna rocks
That is indeed amazing. My Verna has discs all around. The front ones needed to be changed at 27K, the rear ones (as stated by the HASS guys) are good for max another 1k kms (its done 38.5K till now). If you could stretch your front discs to 47K, hats off to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
In the coming months I am planning to upgrade from my current Indica to a 3 box sedan & top of the list is the new Verna RB going to be launched soon. The specs of the new Verna are mouth watering, the only concern would be the pricing. Am ready to stretch till 10L. But do you think it would be worth to go for the new Verna at all?
2 words of advice. Firstly, the Verna Transform costs more around 9.5L on road in CRDI SX form. The new Verna will definitely cost more than 10L in diesel form.

Secondly, any all-new car launched into a market as tough as India, faces a few teething issues. Manufacturers take time to come to grips with mechanical failures under warranty, and rectify the problems in the subsequent batches. Hyundai does better pre-sale clinics/R&D than most, but still the risk remains.

If indeed you're planning to buy a Verna in the immediate future, my suggestion to you (both from cost and logistics viewpoint) is to go for the Transform. If its the RB you want, wait for a year.
Old 24th April 2011, 23:17   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Secondly, any all-new car launched into a market as tough as India, faces a few teething issues. Manufacturers take time to come to grips with mechanical failures under warranty, and rectify the problems in the subsequent batches. Hyundai does better pre-sale clinics/R&D than most, but still the risk remains.

If indeed you're planning to buy a Verna in the immediate future, my suggestion to you (both from cost and logistics viewpoint) is to go for the Transform. If its the RB you want, wait for a year.
Thank you for your advice. I am in no hurry & can wait for a couple of months so that the initial teething issues are settled. One year seems to be a long time though. But do you think the new Verna will be leaps ahead of the current version, given the 128 horses under its hood & the 265Nm of torque.
Old 24th April 2011, 23:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
But do you think the new Verna will be leaps ahead of the current version, given the 128 horses under its hood & the 265Nm of torque.
This one seems a tricky question to answer, given that either opinion will lead to a lot of flaming from owners and non-owners alike. Ok, here's what I think.

Since you're upgrading from an Indica to a Verna (like I did) you're going to find even the current Verna a quantum leap in terms of refinement, performance and build. I've owned a Verna for nearly 3 years and 40K kms now, and I'm surprised at how the car manages astonishing performance and reliability while still not going below 14kmpl how much ever I flog it! I've done 7 highway trips in the car, and never found the performance wanting.

So do you need the new Verna? I think it depends on what use you're subjecting it to. If 90pct of your use is city, I think the existing Verna is already beyond what is normally needed. That 128bhp won't matter a fickle.

That said, if (a) you're an enthusiastic driver like me who hotfoots his car on night drives, and/or (b) a guy who often does highway drives, then I believe the extra power and torque might just make a difference.

Oh, one last thing. Read the first drive report of the new Verna in April 2004 issue of Autocar India. They say the new car has much better ride and handling than the old car, and the diesel is much smoother than the old one. I guess you can only make out the difference if you've owned/driven the old Verna.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 10:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So do you need the new Verna? I think it depends on what use you're subjecting it to. If 90pct of your use is city, I think the existing Verna is already beyond what is normally needed. That 128bhp won't matter a fickle.

That said, if (a) you're an enthusiastic driver like me who hotfoots his car on night drives, and/or (b) a guy who often does highway drives, then I believe the extra power and torque might just make a difference.

Oh, one last thing. Read the first drive report of the new Verna in April 2004 issue of Autocar India. They say the new car has much better ride and handling than the old car, and the diesel is much smoother than the old one. I guess you can only make out the difference if you've owned/driven the old Verna.
Thank you once again predatorwheelz for your opinion (& apologies to Varun for hijacking his thread for this OT discussion). Yes I am the (b) type of person who often does highway drives. Overtaking in a NA Indica takes ages, in my next car I want overtaking to be a breeze & in gear acceleration should be the best. Oh yes I have gone through the Autocar issue, but then first hand information from TBHP members like you is what matters to me the most. I will definitely test drive the current Verna & the new one to make out the difference.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:32   #120
Senior - BHPian

Hey no problem friends - please carry on your conversation in this thread

I have been away from this thread because I have had nothing to add to it - same old performance by a simply brilliant sedan ! I have not owned a better car and all round vehicle than the Verna Diesel.

It has been 6 months or nearly 15000 km's since I had the last service or even a wheel alignment done ! The only thing was the brake change a few months back

Last Oil change & service in September at 40850 kms
Car is now at 54000 kms - TALK ABOUT A BRILLIANT CAR.

The above was totally unintended as I usually do not stretch over 12000 km's BUT completely slipped and yesterday I realised that it is way overdue for service

Will give it for service tomorrow - mainly an oil change, oil & air filter change, service & washing, coolant change - around 4000 rupees I think including wheel alignment & balancing should be the damage. Will update.

As far as the new Verna goes - it is no doubt a wonderful modern sedan and expect the mid variant to cost not less than 9 - 10 lacs OTR ( depending what state )

Do not buy the verna transform as the new verna is just a few weeks away from an official launch as most Mags & shows on tv have already said mid may as the launch date. It is going to be a stonker of a car - even if it is a bit out of the budget go for the base variant as I hear it is also very well loaded.

Last edited by vkochar : 25th April 2011 at 17:34.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks