The following items were for the service light resolution:
  1. High pressure pump assembly
  2. Fuel rail assembly
  3. Injectors x 4
  4. Washers for injectors x 4
  5. Fuel pressure lines (rail to inj) x 4
  6. Pressure line(pump to rail)
The above components totalled = 57,528/-

The following components were replaced because they were unable to open the jammed injector from the head, so they had to replace the head. The following components i guess were part of the head replacement.
  1. Cyl head w/o injectors
  2. Cylinder head gasket
  3. Intake manifold gasket
  4. Exhaust manifold gasket
  5. Cylinder head cover
  6. Vacuum pump gasket
  7. Cyl head water outlet gasket
  8. Set back leak hoses
  9. Glow plug
  10. Intake manifold to pipe gasket
  11. Timing gear
The above components totalled = 37466/-

The following was charged to me. This includes cost of 30k service:
  1. Auto tensioner stud
  2. Hex flex nut Am 8
  3. Anabond
  4. Engine oil 15W40 Castrol GTX 7.5ltrs
  5. Oil filter
  6. System D (i purchased for future use)
  7. Wheel alloy covers x 4
  8. Brake pads x 2 pairs
  9. Brake pad fitting
  10. WD 40 rust leak
  11. Front wheel alignment
  12. Diesel(500/- for trial & testing)
The above components totalled = 9107/-

NOTE: Please dont ask for price of individual items mentioned above. The prices are available at the TASS. It would be sufficient to note the budget involved incase one were to replace the head or injectors outside of warranty.
FYI > Cost of brake pads = 3226/- + 400 labor.

Additional note> I was informed that TML decides parts replacement on a case by case basis. The above replacements were necessitated after all other trouble shooting failed. The trouble shooting process though is quite lengthy and reqires tons of patience and perserverance.

My footnote >
All in all I shall say that if one were to be using their vehicle everyday, then a 45 day visit to the workshop is not what you want or expect. It will get you totally stressed and put you off completely as a customer. I did get stressed as the days in the TASS started increasing. The TASS was apathetic to the situation, citing parts unavailability, weekend holidays, public holidays, etc. However, having said that, I must say that the support from TML customer care is good. If only TML had good quality control at the factory level in place then problems wouldnt arise in the first place. Work at the TASS moves at a very slow pace and without a push from TML customer care, you will end up waiting for Christmas. I now firmly believe that TML Customer care saves the day for TML. Without a good TML customer care, i would probably be left for dead at the hands of an apathetic dealer.

Alls well that ends well. Truck feels and sounds new. TRIP...????

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 2nd June 2009 at 15:40.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:29   #138
BANNED

Extremely disgusting from a consumers POV!
These happenings are not expected of modern cars, Tata needs to revamp/iron out issues with the Safari. Otherwise, it shall be left for dead, sooner than later.
Earlier I was thinking of going in for a Safari, but now after reading such stories, I better keep off it!
Life is so fast paced these days, who can afford to take time out almost on a daily basis to take the vehicle to Garages! Tata shall remain Tata, lot of work is required before their vehicles become trouble free.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:44   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Extremely disgusting from a consumers POV!
Yes, I agree. But thankfully its TML is not a Skoda, else I would have to pay for all that and they(Skoda) would put all spurious parts to top it all.
Skoda... 'you' make 'me' feel good!!
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:27   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Ok guys, here goes:
  1. Wheel alloy covers x 4
Jay, what are these...wheel alloy covers?
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:33   #141
Team-BHP Support

Allow wheeled safari's have small cups which cover the center part. They tend to fall off now and then, and cost 230/piece
Old 4th June 2009, 10:20   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Ok guys, here goes:

The following items were for the service light resolution:
  1. High pressure pump assembly
  2. Fuel rail assembly
  3. Injectors x 4
  4. Washers for injectors x 4
  5. Fuel pressure lines (rail to inj) x 4
  6. Pressure line(pump to rail)
The above components totalled = 57,528/-

The following components were replaced because they were unable to open the jammed injector from the head, so they had to replace the head. The following components i guess were part of the head replacement.
  1. Cyl head w/o injectors
  2. Cylinder head gasket
  3. Intake manifold gasket
  4. Exhaust manifold gasket
  5. Cylinder head cover
  6. Vacuum pump gasket
  7. Cyl head water outlet gasket
  8. Set back leak hoses
  9. Glow plug
  10. Intake manifold to pipe gasket
  11. Timing gear
The above components totalled = 37466/-

Additional note> I was informed that TML decides parts replacement on a case by case basis. The above replacements were necessitated after all other trouble shooting failed. The trouble shooting process though is quite lengthy and reqires tons of patience and perserverance.

Alls well that ends well. Truck feels and sounds new. TRIP...????
Congrats on getting your safari back. 45 days is too long a time spend waiting for your vehicle to get repaired, specailly if its the only one. I am sure TATA could have done better. Hope your troubles are over and you start tripping again.

Of all the components amounting to 57000/- that were changed, i'm sure not had gone defective. Replacement of parts and hoping to nail the part
that actually is defective seems to be Tata's way of defect rectification.

Its all good as long as its covered under warranty. What about after the warranty has lapsed. I'm sure no customer would want to shell out thousands for this hit and trial method. Every defect has to be accountable to one or a few parts at the most, and not a long list like this. And finding that part / parts should not be as herculean a task as tata service people make it seem like.

Tata really does not to get its act together.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:59   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Its all good as long as its covered under warranty. What about after the warranty has lapsed. I'm sure no customer would want to shell out thousands for this hit and trial method. Every defect has to be accountable to one or a few parts at the most, and not a long list like this. And finding that part / parts should not be as herculean a task as tata service people make it seem like.

Tata really does not to get its act together.
After warranty a Safari owner will need a very good independent Tata mechanic to own the safari. however, you still may still need to go to the dealer to read error codes. etc...
Old 5th June 2009, 06:53   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post

Of all the components amounting to 57000/- that were changed, i'm sure not had gone defective. Replacement of parts and hoping to nail the part
that actually is defective seems to be Tata's way of defect rectification.

That unfortunately is the worst part. Tata is unable to pinpoint the actual cause and the actual defective part or process.
One would be forced to go to a TASS for ECU & related problems, and they would just go on a parts replacing spree at the customers expense. This will lead to astronomical cost of ownership post warranty.
Old 5th June 2009, 07:37   #145
Senior - BHPian

I'm totally convinced (once again) that I did the absolutely smart thing by going with a Swift VDi - doing 17k in 7 months without a single sweat!
Old 5th June 2009, 12:19   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'm totally convinced (once again) that I did the absolutely smart thing by going with a Swift VDi - doing 17k in 7 months without a single sweat!
Well don't be so sure look at this thread on Swift Dezire

hitting a stone on road does not break cam shaft and to top it Insurance companey is not willing to pay

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1332913

So in Indian context we should keep fingers crossed always.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:04   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well don't be so sure look at this thread on Swift Dezire .
What a joke, can't compare Swift's reliability to Safaris, what a weired sense of comparison!
Old 5th June 2009, 13:13   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a joke, can't compare Swift's reliability to Safaris, what a weired sense of comparison!
What's wrong with your reading comprehension ? Is it a comparison of reliability or what one may have to go through in freak cases.

And now you are on topic of reliability Why don't you check the Swift threads and cases of service lights / turbo hose coming off exactly same issues which are considered unreliable for Safari ?

How come clearing the error code in ECU is an acceptable solution for smaller cars where as service center goes all the way changing the parts on Safaris. Is it just because Maruti does not go on providing replacement parts they get away cheaply ? Points to ponder
Old 5th June 2009, 13:28   #149
BANNED

Its just over the top paranoia & nothing else!

Maruti is far ahead/better than Tata in terms of reliability, after sales service, availability of spares, etc, etc. So much so, there's no comparison et all!

You can go to any lengths justifying your statement, but facts don't change, its a futile effort, lets compare apples to apples!

Moment doesn't seem far off when someone raises head & starts comparing Toyota here!
Old 5th June 2009, 14:04   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its just over the top paranoia & nothing else!

Maruti is far ahead/better than Tata in terms of reliability, after sales service, availability of spares, etc, etc. So much so, there's no comparison et all!

You can go to any lengths justifying your statement, but facts don't change, its a futile effort, lets compare apples to apples!

Moment doesn't seem far off when someone raises head & starts comparing Toyota here!
I do own a Maruti and Tata and have experience in visiting both A.S.S
and buying parts for Maruti any way i am not sure why you should consider that Dezire thing as something related to reliability in general rather then what one goes through if things go wrong in freak case.

And yes nothing changes whatever you and me say

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks