Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 18:23   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
There is nothing wrong with the head. The head has to be replaced because they are unable to open one injector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Just sounds strange that they can not remove the injector so they have to replace the whole head. I am just wondering if they screwed up something while trying to remove the injectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Somewhere, I also think that this a lazy attitude being demonstrated by TASS and TML. They just go on randomly changing parts without actually diagnosing the real fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well As Jay wrote the suspected issue was only with injector , Now IMHO in any independent garage mechanics must have tried to open the injector little bit more seriously , In TML workshops company is generously providing a spare head along with injectors so they might have tried a bit and then gave up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
As I understood the problem was not with head but it is getting changed just because T.A.S.S has an option to replace FOC.

From TASS point of view I am sure if the companey was not paying for head they would have put some serious effort to unscrew the injector. Most of the time A.S.S do the trial and error game because they have luxury to replace costly parts FOC.
Quote:
The TASS told me that they tried for 3 days to remove the stuck injector using special tools, but it remained jammed. Either what they are saying is true or they might have damaged the head in the process necessitating replacement.

It also reflects the inability of the TASS to 'immediately' diagnose the problem.
This is a common thread running through all Safari owners' experiences - the TASS guys prefer to replace rather than repair or even diagnose properly. Every TASS, without exception.

Even when you check the vehicle in for service and describe other complaints that need to be looked into the standard answer is "Sir we will check it up and replace whatever is necessary".

I know personally that some of the stuff replaced on my vehicle didnt really need replacement - proper diagnosis would have resulted in the problem being rectified with the right treatment.

One could argue that the customer then has no cause for complaint because he's getting things replaced for free even when they dont need to be. What about the time they take to replace, then?

I was quite happy when I was told that they would replace the steering column (!!!!) because the lock on the tilt mechanism was not engaging properly - but it would take a week to get stock and then 3 days for replacement by the garage and inspection (for warranty replacemnt) by the Tata guys.

It took Chicku (nikkibike) about an hour at a local Authorized Service Centre to rectify the issue without any replacement.
Old 27th April 2009, 18:41   #107
Senior - BHPian

@STEEROID >
This is exactly what I put in my mail to TML. What about the downtime-3 weeks. What about the inconvenience caused due to the downtime - unfathomable.
But this is the case almost everywhere, workshops, banks, billing at the mall, you name it.
Inexperienced staff-not fully trained, no proper tracking system, lack of understanding about the issue at hand, etc etc. What saves the day for the customer is good QC and a good product that in itself solves almost all of the problems at the root.
The Safari is just a reflection of the zillion problems I face in my life - though, my tolerance & patience has evolved over time.
Old 27th April 2009, 20:29   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
As far as the replacements are concerned, I have received word that it will be a completely new sealed head complete with valves,etc followed by new injectors and HP lines. If all these changes lead to the resolution of the sevice light issue I am certainly happy. Though im not happy with the inconvenience caused.
This is good news that they are replacing it with a completely new head unit with valves etc.. Guess Tata's saving grace is that they atleast come through for you when there is a problem.

Quote:
Anyways, all this does not take away the fact that the Safari is a wonderful suv which can only get better with time and can do better without such niggling issues cropping up to play spiolsport.
The urge for the next trip has just gotten stronger.
I agree with you on this. The bad QC on Tata's part is the the only major negative for this SUV as far as I am concerned. That and not having integrated roof vents and front facing third row...
Old 27th April 2009, 20:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@STEEROID >
This is exactly what I put in my mail to TML. What about the downtime-3 weeks. What about the inconvenience caused due to the downtime - unfathomable.
What about when they replace the wrong part? Your vehicle then becomes part of an inky-pinky-ponky diagnosis routine with the TASS replacing one piece after another until they finally get to the one that actually caused the problem.

This, in a nutshell, was my RF Motors experience!
Old 27th April 2009, 21:14   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
What about when they replace the wrong part? Your vehicle then becomes part of an inky-pinky-ponky diagnosis routine with the TASS replacing one piece after another until they finally get to the one that actually caused the problem.

This, in a nutshell, was my RF Motors experience!
And thats exactly why I hate this experience - even though Jay here seems extremely sporting about it.

But I can sense the creases on his forehead becoming ever more deeper
Old 27th April 2009, 21:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And thats exactly why I hate this experience - even though Jay here seems extremely sporting about it.
You've had this experience?

If I recall right you're of the opinion that anything else is '2nd best' - so how did you get the chance to reclaim your spare parts?
Old 27th April 2009, 21:33   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....This, in a nutshell, was my RF Motors experience!
That, as I am discovering now, seems to be an integral part of the Safari ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
......But I can sense the creases on his forehead becoming ever more deeper
! Not yet my friend..! Its not as bad as I may make it sound. The day Ive had enough, it will all change in a second.. No creases on the forehead. I will just move on. You will then see a new ownership thread from me. No complains, just another stone unturned.

When you look back learn to laugh, when you look ahead learn to dream.
Eddie Jordan.

Now I wait for Christmas- For the truck to return.

Cheers,
J
Old 27th April 2009, 22:04   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
how did you get the chance to reclaim your spare parts?
Steer: That's the funniest tag line you can have for Tata Safari..
Old 27th April 2009, 23:49   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You've had this experience?

If I recall right you're of the opinion that anything else is '2nd best' - so how did you get the chance to reclaim your spare parts?
I meant i did not like jay's specific experience here (though he has no qualms about it). Whatever the motor we own, we are all one when on the road. Good 'un on the pun.

I would definitely love the chance to reclaim a few spares for my old girl jawa twin though.
Old 28th April 2009, 14:53   #115
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Jay is the coolest Safari owner that I have come across.

Most would be flustered by now with the experience. His approach to the vehicle is quite nice and confidence boosting. Have been through a few nightmares in the 150,000 odd kms with my 2.0Ltr TCIC safari, but the problems seem minor compared to these.

Also have tried out both Private Garages and Authorized Centres, and keep on alternating between them (various diff private garages and various different authorized centres) all seem equally inapt at diagnoses and most of the time the pointer to the fault needs to come from my end.

The 4 year warranty being offfered not is great, was personally locked into a 18month only deal and that was stupid on my part.

Do given us a final update when the amber light does go of finally.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:16   #116
Team-BHP Support

IIRC, when they were opening injectors of my safari, there was some difficultly in opening one injector, but they were very careful, and nothing of this sort happened.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
IIRC, when they were opening injectors of my safari, there was some difficultly in opening one injector, but they were very careful, and nothing of this sort happened.
I dont think those nozzles are meant to be removed and replaced frequently + they handle very high pressures. So yeah they should be difficult to remove.

Why is Lucas coming into the picture - isnt the common rail system Delphi?
Old 28th April 2009, 15:27   #118
Team-BHP Support

In my case also it was Lucas TVS who came into the picture. Apparently they are involved in some way(HP lines?)
Old 28th April 2009, 15:31   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Steer: That's the funniest tag line you can have for Tata Safari..
I second that 4x4. 'Reclaim your spare part'.
But shoo, dont think jay and others will like it here.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think those nozzles are meant to be removed and replaced frequently + they handle very high pressures. So yeah they should be difficult to remove.
Looking at the number of 2.2s that seem to have problems with their injectors, maybe it is time TML redesigned the nozzless for ease of removal and replacement.

Of course,TML could also just rectify the root cause of the problem (whatever that may be), but then that is asking too much from them, isn't it. we should keep our expectations to a realistic level.

O.T. each day i thank my friend at TML who advised me to pick up the last batch of the 3.0 instead of the then newly launched 2.2 Of course, i could be made to eat my words tomorrow itself, but so far.....

Quote:
In my case also it was Lucas TVS who came into the picture. Apparently they are involved in some way(HP lines?)
AFAIK, Lucas makes the Fuel pump for the Safari, so that may explain their presence. the fuel pump works in close conjunction with the injectors.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 28th April 2009 at 15:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks