Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2009, 15:36   #121
Senior - BHPian

Deleted.....duplicate post

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 28th April 2009 at 15:45.
Old 28th April 2009, 15:56   #122
Senior - BHPian

i think there is some sort of Delphi - Lucas - TVS JV involved

Delphi allowed to buy out UK co's stake in Lucas TVS Diesel
Delphi tie-up to `ignite' Lucas TVS Diesel

TVS seems to be the common factor
Delphi TVS
Lucas-TVS Profile

Last edited by greenhorn : 28th April 2009 at 16:00.
Old 28th April 2009, 17:15   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Why is Lucas coming into the picture - isnt the common rail system Delphi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
In my case also it was Lucas TVS who came into the picture. Apparently they are involved in some way(HP lines?)
I could be wrong but the supplier of the Common Rail pump (Lucas/Delphi) provides the injectors as well as technically they are part of the Common Rail unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Of course,TML could also just rectify the root cause of the problem (whatever that may be), but then that is asking too much from them, isn't it. we should keep our expectations to a realistic level.

O.T. each day i thank my friend at TML who advised me to pick up the last batch of the 3.0 instead of the then newly launched 2.2 Of course, i could be made to eat my words tomorrow itself, but so far.....

AFAIK, Lucas makes the Fuel pump for the Safari, so that may explain their presence. the fuel pump works in close conjunction with the injectors.
If you recall the early batch of 3.0's also had a bunch of thing that were rectified in the later models. This is a typical Tata trait and generally they do iron out things in due course and I am sure that the will find a solution to this mysterious service light issue as well.
Old 29th April 2009, 09:19   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
I second that 4x4. 'Reclaim your spare part'.
But shoo, dont think jay and others will like it here.
..! It can also go as - Reclaim your car, one spare part at a time !
Old 29th April 2009, 11:37   #125
BANNED

Luckily, parts replaced under warranty are not kept in the boot. Imagine if they kept all replacements oin the boot.
Old 29th April 2009, 11:38   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Luckily, parts replaced under warranty are not kept in the boot. Imagine if they kept all replacements oin the boot.
You will need to get a trailer man...
Old 29th April 2009, 14:53   #127
Senior - BHPian

Well this thread is one which i regularly follow and on a daily basis there is a new part which could be the problem.
Its some like playing In pin septic pin In pin out, Out goes my car and her i am stout!!! (Sorry bad one)

@Jay any updates? The promise of thursday delivery still exists?

@ Redliner and Hrag: So very true. Thank god or else people could open a small used parts muesuem. Something like i keep my car on the road as the garage holds its spare parts.

PS: Guys i still love the safari
Old 29th April 2009, 15:53   #128
Senior - BHPian

Update

I went to the TASS today and met the Customer Service manager. Had a detailed chat about the proceedings and the shortcomings in the speed of service.
The new head complete with new valves bearings camshafts etc arrived yesterday evening. Today the new head will be fitted with the new injectors. The Lucas/delphi man will arrive with the injectors later toady for fitting them. Thereafter there will be a trial to ensure that the service light issue is gone. The job will be done today but I will receive the vehicle on Saturday.
Tomm & dayafter the workshop is shut due to voting followed by Maharashtra day. So Sat they will take a trial and release the vehicle.

After chatting with the manager I went to shop floor to witness the work in progress. The head had been opened and they were in the process of cleaning before the new install. Following are some pictures. Excuse the quality of the pics taken by phone camera.

The stuck injector that caused the delay & subsequent head replacement
Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-image022.jpg

The piston side of the head
Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-image026.jpg

The opened up head with the camshaft etc.
Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-image028.jpg

Cylinder cleaning in progress
Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-image029.jpg
Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-image030.jpg

The new head in the box case.
Tata Safari EX-4x4 > 43600kms and 2 years-image031.jpg

All in all I am hoping that this solves the service light issue and am also hoping that this does not bring about any new issues.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:14   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hope and pray that this will solve the issue and you get your vehicle back!
Old 30th April 2009, 12:54   #130
BHPian

Thats a whole lot of work going into your vehicle. Whatever may be the reason, a major engine overhaul at 30 k is not what anyone would like his vehicle to go through. Hope TASS guys are up to the task and everything works out fine for you and you are able to get back on the road again soon. Cheers.
Old 30th April 2009, 18:13   #131
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, this is NOT a "major engine overhaul". It is a major "parts replacement" free of cost by TML due to their inability to open an injector. Now, it is unfortunate that this is happening on my Safari. But, it can happen on any other.
As a customer, It does piss me off that they take so much time to fix a problem necessicating parts replacement. But on the positive side, Im getting a fully new head complete with valves etc along with new injectors etc. Thats good.

Some posts here would make me feel that the sky has fallen on my head. But as dramatic as it may be, it is a vehicle with something gone wrong which will eventually be fixed and get back to hauling miles on beaten roads across the country. I cannot get TML to improve their QC but as long as my Safari serves the purpose of my purchase = tripping, Im ok.
SO, I have 3 years to finish all my trips.

Meanwhile everyone, thanks for all your best wishes which I shall definitely pass on to my Safari, who at this time seems to need it more than me.

Cheers,
J
Old 15th May 2009, 13:44   #132
Senior - BHPian

JSL, any update on the vehicle and if possible it would be good to know the list of parts replaced.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:15   #133
Senior - BHPian

Update

Got the Safari back yesterday evening after 1.5 months at the TASS. Done 30k service and service light issue resolved.
Lots of things were replaced under warranty amounting to close to Rs.70k. I will post details on that a little later. I have the proforma invoice for it.
The truck seems to be running silky smooth for now. Steering feels better after alignment was done. The khat sound on full lock has completely gone. Will be doing a long trial shortly.
Brake pads too were replaced. I have the old brake pads. They still have half or more life left in them(will post pics). I had to pay for the new pads. The pads were replaced because the one pad out of the pair on one side had 75% wear. Apparently, im told they come in a set of 4 only. This is a total con job- why should i have to buy 4 when I need only 1 pair ?
My total service expense was Rs.9100/-. Will post details on that too.

I will also post a detail about my service experience at Wasan motors- Mumbai. I now have a lot of experience with them.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 2nd June 2009 at 13:30.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:45   #134
BHPian

1.5 months at TASS.
Would this include repairs to the damages that happened on your Spiti loop tour ?

Glad that the problems seems to have been sorted out.

We are all eagerly waiting for know what has been changed to resolve the service light issue.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:18   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
1.5 months at TASS.
Would this include repairs to the damages that happened on your Spiti loop tour ?
No, those were dent repairs were done under insurance right after the trip in 2008.
This time I sent the Safari to the TASS in mid April for service light resolution. It took them 45 days to solve it, which they say was due to parts unavailability. I find that ridiculous.
Anyways, I feel that since they knew that I was out of the country for a few weeks they took it easy knowing that they had ample time. It does not bother me as long as the problem is done and over with and I was out anyways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks