Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2009, 15:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
T however they say it will be done in 7500 all inclusive(which I find ridiculously hard to believe).
Jay, if they are willing to give it in writing that there are no hidden costs in that final figure, no reason why you shouldn't get it from them!
Please confirm make of glass, and beading (if applicable). And no reconditioned/salvaged stuff!
Old 28th March 2009, 16:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks for the info guys.
WE has quoted 8000/- all inclusive for home service front windshield replacement.
The TASS is acting shady and not quoting a correct figure, however they say it will be done in 7500 all inclusive(which I find ridiculously hard to believe).
I am more inclined to get it done via WE since TASS figures are not reliable.
Will post next week once im done with it.
Any furthur advice is welcome.
As per another member the wind shield costs some 5,400 in TASS.

reproducing his post below ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
- Windshield was cracked along with bonnet in a minor mishap, a stone from a tipper fell on the bonnet on my way to hyd and the dent was a repairable one but i was told i can get full insurance and got the whole thing replaced. The debris cracked the windshield a bit and i hated that, insurance company told i needed to produce FIR and police guy wanted 3500 as bribe. New windshield came for some 5400 or so.
Old 28th March 2009, 21:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
As per another member the wind shield costs some 5,400 in TASS.

reproducing his post below ...
Thanks kb100. Im quite wary of the piece being a salvage or a reconditioned as anupji has mentioned. I didnt know that such things happen at authorised sales & service centres, but if they can do it to a Skoda then it can/might certainly happen to a Safari.
Will be back next week and will do the install after due research and in my presence.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 28th March 2009 at 21:10.
Old 28th March 2009, 21:27   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
the wind shield costs some 5,400 in TASS.
ACI's spares list quotes Safari's front windscreen at Rs.5723 - this probably does not include the rubber beading and labour. I've found WE's quote to be lower than TASS quotes twice, so these Rs.8000/7500 quotes need to be re-confirmed. As Mathursaab pointed out, A.S.S's are known to recycle salvage and sell at a discount if the owner does not insist on a 'pucca' bill.
Old 28th March 2009, 22:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Lovely. Agree with the spirit of dadu's message - this report is almost out to prove a point

PS: Lovely driving km average - you are a shippie or oil driller eh? Else i'd love a job that allows me to travel 170 days a year
Slap slap !

And the job part, lucky man and lucky beast.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Slap slap !

And the job part, lucky man and lucky beast.
I SMOKED my way through it.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:03   #52
BHPian

Jay, what an awesome pic of the safari in post #1 !!
Old 31st March 2009, 11:17   #53
BANNED

Windshield replacement includes the cost of beading and adhesives, in case you've not factored these in. TASC rates (both spares & labour) are negotiable depending on how long you've known them and vice versa.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Jay, what an awesome pic of the safari in post #1 !!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Windshield replacement includes the cost of beading and adhesives, in case you've not factored these in. TASC rates (both spares & labour) are negotiable depending on how long you've known them and vice versa.
Wow. I didnt know that we could negotiate for spares and labour at the TASC. Thas a revealation. Thanks for the vital info.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:08   #55
Senior - BHPian

Got the front windshield replaced from Windshield experts. Total cost 8200 and time = 4 hours only.

Then sent the Safari to diagnose and solve the service light issue.
As mentioned earlier, the service light would come on at approx 2000-2500 rpm while coasting on any gear after revving it till 3000rpm.
The truck has spent 2 days in the workshop till yesterday.
1st day they replaced the diesel filter to ensure it is not a diesel filter fault. Filter replacement was due anyways at 30k service and ive done 28k yet. So i agreed to change it.
The service light was still showing, so they decided to check wiring harness.
Yesterday evening , the service advisor called to inform that they suspect it is an ECU fault. Today, they will replace with a new ecu and do a trial. If that does not work then the next is the wiring harness and lastly the injector kit with the HP lines which will be attended to/replaced by Lucas.
My estimate is that all this will take atleast a week before I can drive the truck again.
Meanwhile, they are readjusting the doors checking the suspension and i might get the 30K service done too.
All in all the service advisor has assured that I will get the truck back after they ensure there are no more faults... unless ofcourse, faulty service leads to more faults, which i hope not.
So, the wait begins.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 9th April 2009 at 11:11.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:18   #56
Team-BHP Support

jay, in my case they went through with new ECU, wiring harness etc.,
Nothing worked. Finally after fuel return line change things worked and no service light now
Old 9th April 2009, 19:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
jay, in my case they went through with new ECU, wiring harness etc.,
Nothing worked. Finally after fuel return line change things worked and no service light now
. I got a call today stating that they tried replacing the engine harness & ecu & nothing worked. Tomorrow Lucas will come with their equipment to diagnose the injectors and HP lines etc. It will take 2 days more before I pick it up as they proceed in a 'step by step' manner.
I did tell them in the beginning that there has been a case where finally injectors etc had to be changed, but they say they have to follow their process.

In a way this is giving me time to attend to other things in life that i was shelving since ive been driving the safari. Had it not been for the service light I would have been on my way to"Sikkim" mostly bumping into adc somewhere. But im hoping i get the vehicle in time to catch GTO & the mumbai team in their otr escapades if anything happens this weekend.
Cheers,
J
Old 9th April 2009, 22:42   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Buddy:

Surprised that you haven't learned Tata's strategy yet. You actually get your vehicle in multiple installments. You get the the first version and over time many of the parts get replaces in various installments :-). The key is to pretty much have a new truck before your warranty expires that way you can do another 1 lakh plus kilometers on the new parts..
Old 9th April 2009, 22:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Buddy:

Surprised that you haven't learned Tata's strategy yet. You actually get your vehicle in multiple installments. You get the the first version and over time many of the parts get replaces in various installments :-). The key is to pretty much have a new truck before your warranty expires that way you can do another 1 lakh plus kilometers on the new parts..
Well, im pretty pleased with such a strategy. If not having to drive the vehicle for 3-4 weeks in an ownership period of 4 years gives me an all new vehicle(almost new) at the end of 4 years, then im not complaining.
If their(TML) QC is so bad then they are compensating the customer adequately even if they produce lemons.

Atleast its not a Skoda or a Honda or a Fiat.
Old 10th April 2009, 08:10   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

These Lucas guys are giving the Tata 2.2 VVTI such a bad rap. Safari sales have picked up after the 2.2 VVTI and I hope these guys don't end up screwing it up for Tata. Some of us auto enthusiasts can atleast help dealerships to narrow down the fault. Average Joe is going to end up saying "Don't Buy. Engine Prablem ",

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks