Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 14:30   #226
BHPian

Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

Well well, Predator has finally hit the lakh mark. To be honest I did know it will keep going on, considering your maintenance record and your eyes, ears, bum whatever lets you know if anything is wrong.

Having driven this very car a couple of times I know what he means by fast, reliable and comfortable car. Infact before the owner moved to Delhi he asked if I was interested in buying Predator. Thankfully I didn't. As Mr. Sengupta can only take care of it the way it should be.

Congrats buddy. I wish you keep this going as long as you can. Maybe do a budgeting and buy some parts and stock them. And please get the repaint done and as Rohin said get some new seat covers and steering wheel covers.
NOS Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:17   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1 lakh kms, and an exhaustive long term ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
1. In everyday driving, there is a funny, very low whistling noise which I detected coming from the AC blower. Goes off when I switch off the AC fan. I have no idea what is causing this, will have to get the AC checked before next summer.
Attachment 1308917
That's the AC evaporator acting up. Replace it when the whistling gets louder. Should do about 6-8k kilometers before the AC stops cooling completely. Progressive loss in cooling is on the cards.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 21:18   #228
BHPian

Re: My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15

Congratulations predatorwheelz on this ocassion of hitting 1 lack Mark.

Verna has been a very reliable car to our family too.
Our verna has crossed 147278 kms since march 2009.

Majour repairings required so far:-
  1. Power steering assembly replaced at 1.05 lack Kms
  2. Complete suspension overhaul at 1.3 lakc Kms.
    This was not expected so early.(We owned a accent CRDI previously, its suspension lasted till 2.1 lack Kms with minor replacements)
  3. Tyres changed at 80k Kms and second time at 1.4 lack Kms. Bridgestone’s were used both the times.
  4. All four doors dented and painted 2 at a time.
  5. All four break discs were changed at 80k

Turbo has given up since 5k Kms. Wont be getting it repaired as the car is only being used for city driving and would be up for sale within a couple of months.
This car has been to our satisfaction ans has never disappointed us.
She never squeaked or rattled as far as interiors are concerned.

Recently we bought a Verna Fluidic.
This makes it three generations of global Hyundai Accent in a line.
Accent Crdi (2005) Sold at 2.75 lack Kms in 2009
Verna Crdi (2009) 1.47 lack kms and revving fine
Verna Fluidic(2014) New addition 11k kms till date.
Attached Thumbnails
My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-20141119_205829-1.jpg  

197Horses is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 10:46   #229

The 1.6 CRDI Verna is an absolute cracker of an engine. My father owns the same model and its a pleasure driving it on the highway, the turbo lag in the engine gives you a rocket feeling. Just wanted to know, did you change the original music system in the car?
Eagle1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 11:38   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi Predator,

Congrats on achieving the 100,000 milestone.
Your Verna is truly adorable. I like black beauties
After watching all the photograph, I would once again say that Koreans have consistently proven all of us wrong right from the day we saw the launch of Santro in 1999.

The quality & finish is top class and long lasting one too. Having owned & driven both Hyundai and Honda, I would definitely say that Interior material quality is best in Hyundai.

I never achieved such Odometer figures, I guess it demands a celebration. Where is the party ?
Thank you! I love black beauties too. Though its the most difficult color to maintain, in my eyes there is hardly a sight like a gleaming black car.

You mentioned the Santro. An uncle bought a Santro in 2003 and owns it till date. It has clocked in excess of 150,000 kms, which is why he scoffed when I sent him the 1L km pic!

As for the party, why don't you drop in to one of the NCR team bhp meets. Especially the ones we keep having at Vasant Kunj. That way we can get together and chat, err, eat .

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Hi,

Need some advise, I am still struggling with the ICE as I could not get a flush fit through open market purchase and it looks odd, though serving me well for past so many years.

I am looking at Sony XSP-N1BT, what is your take, will it look good in Verna?

Cheers
Hi, I think the Sony HU you're talking about is the smartphone holder. Saw it in some other car, didn't like it at all. Without a smartphone in place, it looks like an HU with its faceplate taken out. I don't think it would look good on any car.

But looks is a subjective matter. As for fitment advice, why don't you give Aman at Motor Concepts a call. They're one of the best for high-end ICE fitment in Delhi. You can find their contact details in the Delhi-NCR directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
PW

That's an exhaustive 1 lac kms report.
Keep it going. My friend recently sold his Verna at 196000 kms.
Only problem - Rust eating up the body. CRDi mill was still punchy as ever.

Just noticed, you are around Gurgaon, we can catch up sometime.
Thank you Kpzen. You have followed this thread religiously and given quality inputs. Yes, I work in Gurgaon and stay in Dwarka. Would love to meet you and your legendary Getz.

On a different note, 1,96,000 kms? Thats double of what my car has done! Respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
Almost every manufacturer seems to be giving in to the economic forces, though I wonder if they are strictly 'economic'. I wonder what is this new found obsession with cost cutting - though the concept is noble, yet implementation is horrendous and hideous at the same time. I mean, its like there is a perfect negative correlation between price and quality, with prices going north and quality going south almost everywhere.
Very well put. The more I drive the new breed of cars, the more I feel shortchanged. My friend's new city has cruise control (which he'll probably use once a year) but no wheel well cladding (which he'll need every day of his life in dusty Indian conditions). A popular MPV I TD'ed came loaded with features, but had no windscreen lining. Last week I took delivery of my Elite i20 Asta CRDI. It comes loaded to the gills with features, even 2 airbags, but no DTE and no autolocking. Why??

As you rightly said, quality is going south almost everywhere. Not something that will be evident in the first few years of ownership, but for owners like us to who love retaining and maintaining their steeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Well well, Predator has finally hit the lakh mark. To be honest I did know it will keep going on, considering your maintenance record and your eyes, ears, bum whatever lets you know if anything is wrong.

Having driven this very car a couple of times I know what he means by fast, reliable and comfortable car. Infact before the owner moved to Delhi he asked if I was interested in buying Predator. Thankfully I didn't. As Mr. Sengupta can only take care of it the way it should be.
Thank you brother. I do remember telling you once that I am old school in terms of my maintainence, and "my maintainence happens through what my eyes, ears and bum sense". Thank you for remembering that.

You and Rohin do recall the dark hour when I had a change of mood and wanted to sell the car. Now that hour has passed. Come down to Delhi and take a drive again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Congrats buddy. I wish you keep this going as long as you can. Maybe do a budgeting and buy some parts and stock them. And please get the repaint done and as Rohin said get some new seat covers and steering wheel covers.
Repaint is on the cards, as already said. So is the steering cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
That's the AC evaporator acting up. Replace it when the whistling gets louder. Should do about 6-8k kilometers before the AC stops cooling completely. Progressive loss in cooling is on the cards.

Cheers,

Jay
Thank you, will definitely get it checked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 197Horses View Post
Congratulations predatorwheelz on this ocassion of hitting 1 lack Mark.

Verna has been a very reliable car to our family too.
Our verna has crossed 147278 kms since march 2009.

Majour repairings required so far:-
  1. Power steering assembly replaced at 1.05 lack Kms
  2. Complete suspension overhaul at 1.3 lakc Kms.
    This was not expected so early.(We owned a accent CRDI previously, its suspension lasted till 2.1 lack Kms with minor replacements)
  3. Tyres changed at 80k Kms and second time at 1.4 lack Kms. Bridgestone’s were used both the times.
  4. All four doors dented and painted 2 at a time.
  5. All four break discs were changed at 80k

Turbo has given up since 5k Kms. Wont be getting it repaired as the car is only being used for city driving and would be up for sale within a couple of months.
This car has been to our satisfaction ans has never disappointed us.
She never squeaked or rattled as far as interiors are concerned.

Recently we bought a Verna Fluidic.
This makes it three generations of global Hyundai Accent in a line.
Accent Crdi (2005) Sold at 2.75 lack Kms in 2009
Verna Crdi (2009) 1.47 lack kms and revving fine
Verna Fluidic(2014) New addition 11k kms till date.
First of all, congratulations for that kind of mileage on your Verna. You're much more of a Hyundai loyalist than I am, and those are some amazing mileage figures. 2.75 lakh kms!

That said, you've had a different ownership pattern. Your set of tyres lasted 80K and 60K kms. Mine barely last 40K. Your brake discs were changed at double of what mine lasted. In fact my brake pads too barely last more than 30K kms.

You've said the suspension overhaul was too soon. Trust me, there aren't many cars in India where the stock suspension lasts 1L kms or more!

Please start your own long term ownership thread. I'm eager to exchange notes and gain some wisdom from your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
The 1.6 CRDI Verna is an absolute cracker of an engine. My father owns the same model and its a pleasure driving it on the highway, the turbo lag in the engine gives you a rocket feeling. Just wanted to know, did you change the original music system in the car?
Thank you. Yes, it is an absolute cracker. But the engine in this model is a 1.5Ltr CRDI, just FYI.

I did change most components except the HU. You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...a-install.html
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 12:00   #231
BHPian

Predatoronwheels the tyre use pattern changed beacuse during the first set of tyres , car was extensively driven on highways .
On the second set it was driven mostly in city or sometimes on mud roads.
To the loyality list - i20, fludic verna, santa fe and verna share the same garage.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:26   #232
BHPian

Ani, your thread was the one which gave me confidence to go for a Hyundai Diesel mill in my next car

congrats on the Elite. Do let us know how the new car feels. And Pics, need lots of pics of the new ride as well.
toiingg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2014, 15:42   #233

Congrats on hitting the 1 lakh mark

One thing I could not find in the cost of ownership table was the timing belt replacement. Is the car still running on the original timing belt?!!
Old 22nd November 2014, 17:34   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brar View Post
Congrats on hitting the 1 lakh mark

One thing I could not find in the cost of ownership table was the timing belt replacement. Is the car still running on the original timing belt?!!
Thank you so much. As for your query, the Verna comes with a timing chain, not belt. We've already had this discussion on pages 14 and 15 of this thread. You can start reading from this post .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3507737
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 08:43   #235
Senior - BHPian

The car's a movie star

Did you know Predator also acted in a movie?

Yes, sometime last year this outfit called Junkyard Productions (comprising mostly advertising/media professionals and some rank amateurs like a banker and an IIT prof) decided to shoot a few humorous short films with a social message. One of the movies was "Aam aadmi ka Birthday". I'm sharing the link for general entertainment.

It doesn't take a very careful eye to figure out the car in the video

predatorwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 22:27   #236
BHPian

Hello Predator and other Verna VGT CRDI fans. So awesome to see so many fans of this mean machine. The passion and excitement for this vehicle from all of you is so amazing. I so adore my car thanks to this thread.

Allow me to tell my story - I picked up a 2008 SX ABS VGT (with all round discs) from a relative of mine who was no longer using it. The car is immaculately maintained with clean interiors and exteriors. The car is surprisingly rattle free, having munched over 89K Kms. Moving from Wagon R (nice car on its own) to this rocket has been an exhilarating experience. The whine of the turbo and lift off at 1750RPM is mind blowing. Despite the raw power, a great fuel economy has been the icing on the cake. Now despite the age, I love this machine a a lot and don't want to part with her for sometime to come.

Now here is where I need your guidance. I wish to do a proper 90K service - covering everything that needs to and nothing more. I am afraid that taking it to a HASS here in Bangalore might turn out to be a expensive ride. But since the car has been taken care of at HASS ever since its birth, I would prefer to give it there since I am not familiar with any neighborhood garage.Also, given that this now a defunct model, not sure how many local garages would know the intricacies of the vehicle to do a thorough job.

Could you please provide pointers on do's and dont's for a 90K service job card at HASS (Advaith Hyundai, J P Nagar)? Want to make sure that everything that needs attention is taken care of (Suspension, Timing, Filters, disc brakes etc). I would also like to use Mobil Delvac 1 engine oil as recommended in some other thread on this forum. Your thoughts on this pls.

Appreciate your help and guidance here. Many thanks!

Last edited by ukamath : 12th May 2015 at 22:28.
Old 13th May 2015, 23:18   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamath View Post
Could you please provide pointers on do's and dont's for a 90K service job card at HASS (Advaith Hyundai, J P Nagar)? Want to make sure that everything that needs attention is taken care of (Suspension, Timing, Filters, disc brakes etc). I would also like to use Mobil Delvac 1 engine oil as recommended in some other thread on this forum. Your thoughts on this pls.

Appreciate your help and guidance here. Many thanks!
Hi. Congratulations on owning the beast. Even better that you got the all round discs, as my car does. These cars are really bulletproof, as evidenced by their resale values and that most owners (including me) don't want to sell them.

You didn't mention the mileage at which you picked it up, how much you've driven it yourself and what all you've changed during this time. Assuming the car has not seen any mechanical changes except regular servicing, here's what I would advise you to check:

1. Condition of front brake pads. Mine tend to wear out every 25 to 30K kms.
2. Rear brake pads. These typically last 40 to 45Ks, so unlikely the first owner has changed them more than once. Also check the condition of the brake oil and discs.
3. Full suspension. This car has very strong suspension components, and unless the car has been abused, will last you long. Plus the suspension components are not very expensive.
4. A full service. The diesel filter lasts 10K easily, but air and oil filters need changing at every service.
5. The engine doesn't give any trouble unless abused. Get the EGR valve checked and cleaned anyway. If the car is giving out copious amounts of black smoke, or losing power, or whistling, these are signs of a blown turbo. If not, you don't require opening up the engine. This car also comes with a timing chain (not belt) and I think at 90K it wouldn't require checking.
6. The body is pretty solid. But do check for any signs of rust, or corrosion in the under-body.

Now my 2 recommendations:

1. Don't go to HASS. Their labour charges are becoming outrageous. They do silly cosmetic stuff (ceramic protection for engine!) and charge you for it. They are notorious with out of warranty cars. And they follow a policy of replace over repair. In one service they replaced the entire AC cooling coil, which I later learnt would have sufficed with a simple cleaning. Instead try out an FNG in Bangalore who knows his way around these cars. Follow the Team-BHP directory to find one in Bangalore.

2. Delvac 1 seems to be the in-thing these days. Strictly my opinion, but you don't need to waste money on synthetic oils with this car. Use Mobil Delvac MX or Shell Helix HX6. Both have excellent soot-retention properties and will last you 8-9K without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 13th May 2015 at 23:20.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 14:49   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Congratulations on owning the beast. Even better that you got the all round discs, as my car does. These cars are really bulletproof, as evidenced by their resale values and that most owners (including me) don't want to sell them.

You didn't mention the mileage at which you picked it up, how much you've driven it yourself and what all you've changed during this time. Assuming the car has not seen any mechanical changes except regular servicing, here's what I would advise you to check:

1. Condition of front brake pads. Mine tend to wear out every 25 to 30K kms.
2. Rear brake pads. These typically last 40 to 45Ks, so unlikely the first owner has changed them more than once. Also check the condition of the brake oil and discs.
3. Full suspension. This car has very strong suspension components, and unless the car has been abused, will last you long. Plus the suspension components are not very expensive.
4. A full service. The diesel filter lasts 10K easily, but air and oil filters need changing at every service.
5. The engine doesn't give any trouble unless abused. Get the EGR valve checked and cleaned anyway. If the car is giving out copious amounts of black smoke, or losing power, or whistling, these are signs of a blown turbo. If not, you don't require opening up the engine. This car also comes with a timing chain (not belt) and I think at 90K it wouldn't require checking.
6. The body is pretty solid. But do check for any signs of rust, or corrosion in the under-body.

Now my 2 recommendations:

1. Don't go to HASS. Their labour charges are becoming outrageous. They do silly cosmetic stuff (ceramic protection for engine!) and charge you for it. They are notorious with out of warranty cars. And they follow a policy of replace over repair. In one service they replaced the entire AC cooling coil, which I later learnt would have sufficed with a simple cleaning. Instead try out an FNG in Bangalore who knows his way around these cars. Follow the Team-BHP directory to find one in Bangalore.

2. Delvac 1 seems to be the in-thing these days. Strictly my opinion, but you don't need to waste money on synthetic oils with this car. Use Mobil Delvac MX or Shell Helix HX6. Both have excellent soot-retention properties and will last you 8-9K without breaking a sweat.

Thanks Predator for the point by point response.

Totally agree – the strong build, comfortable and quality interiors, a locomotive DNA derived engine under the hood, great fuel economy all definitely lean towards keeping this for a long time.

I am the third owner of the car – The car was originally bought by a MNC bank executive, who took good care of the car, covered parking, servicing at regular intervals at HASS etc. My cousin picked this car when it was around the 78K mark. Due to his ill-health, he could no longer drive the car, so I picked it up from him around the 84K mark. Currently the car is nearing the 89K mark. I am not sure on the parts changed / mechanical changes made with the previous owners – no records exist with me. During my ownership of the car, nothing has been replaced or serviced, except a complete overhaul of the A/C system – This was done at a Bosch service center in early April.

Points 1, 2 – The brakes still have a good bite and I am confident of controlling the vehicle when driven hard. Should pads etc..be still changed?

Point 3: The front left suspension, makes a “THUD” noise, when going over potholes or speed bumps sometimes. No noise on normal roads. What should I look out for as a source of the noise? Any replacement or overhaul required?

Point 4: Agree, All filters to be replaced

Point 5: I am assuming that the car has not been abused! This is actually my biggest fear since I have bought the car – Timing chain or expensive turbo failures, or the car giving up on me when on a long drive – Worries associated with a car having clocked close so many miles, and 95% being not done by me. I simply picked her up because of the exhilarating performance she showed when I took her for a TD. Just could not let go of the opportunity to get her home when my cousin wanted to sell.

The gear shifts are butter smooth, and slot perfectly, never missing a cog ever. Clutch also seems ok, nothing hard, but after a long drive 300+ on a stretch felt that the clutch felt unengaging, and a little sticky.

As regards to smoke, the car does not visibly let excessive smoke when on idle, or when driven with a light foot and low RPM shifts. However it smokes like hell, leaving a hug black trail when I accelerate hard between gears 2-3 / 3-4– between 1500 – 2500 RPM. Again when I settle down to acceptable RPMs it, the smoke comes back to normal. Is this ok and normal behavioral traits of this engine?

I have never lost power, or felt loss of power in the time the car has with me. The whistling of the turbo can be heard when the car is in motion at lower RPMs – but disappears when driven back at normal speeds. Is this normal? I have read horror stories of Hyundai turbo failures and expensive repairs associated. Should I be now worried given the above diagnosis of the current health of the engine? Is there any other way to know the health of the turbo – Typically how long would the turbo last before it needs replacement or an overhaul?Thanks for the pointing of the timing chain and that it does not require any attention for now.

Point 6: The body is in good condition for its age – so I don’t see any concern here.

A wise recommendation on not going to a HASS. I am planning to go to a BOSCH service center, a couple of kms away from my house. I have seen all types of cars serviced here, including a 520D, E280, etc so I am assuming these guys do a good job

The car was last serviced at 80K and now nearing 90K. So unsure if the oil is currently synthetic or mineral. Is it ok to downgrade to mineral if the oil inside is found to be synthetic?

Thanks again for your guidance. Some pics of my car…
Attached Thumbnails
My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img_20150514_071315799.jpg  

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img_20150514_071349371.jpg  

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img_20150514_071421954.jpg  

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img_20150514_071513546.jpg  

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img_20150514_071619402.jpg  

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img_20150514_074625103.jpg  

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-img_20150514_074645031.jpg  

Old 14th May 2015, 22:32   #239
Senior - BHPian

That's a fantastic, clean example you got there. Till 2008 the beadings on this car were body colored, and even the diesel SX model didn't come with factory fitted alloys. Your car has after-market alloys. So your model year is confirmed. Get a cover for the steering wheel. It'll feel chunky and much better in your hand.

Quote:
I am not sure on the parts changed / mechanical changes made with the previous owners – no records exist with me. During my ownership of the car, nothing has been replaced or serviced, except a complete overhaul of the A/C system
I would assume that the first owner (if he was as caring as you say) serviced the car only at HASS, at least during the warranty period. Go to any HASS, they will extract service record just basis your registration number. At least you'll know what was changed/repaired during the first 2/3 years.

Quote:
Points 1, 2 – The brakes still have a good bite and I am confident of controlling the vehicle when driven hard. Should pads etc..be still changed?
Still get them checked. One cannot be too careful with brakes. Besides, my experience says the brakes on this car don't give any warning till the pads are worn down to the core. If that happens, they'll also scour the discs.

Quote:
Point 3: The front left suspension, makes a “THUD” noise, when going over potholes or speed bumps sometimes. No noise on normal roads. What should I look out for as a source of the noise? Any replacement or overhaul required?
Could be a shot front shock absorber. Mine lasted till 97K till one of the front shocks went bust and made that hollow thud noise. Scroll 2 pages back and you'll see the 97K service details, including pics of replacement shocks.

Quote:
Point 5: I am assuming that the car has not been abused! This is actually my biggest fear since I have bought the car – Timing chain or expensive turbo failures, or the car giving up on me when on a long drive – Worries associated with a car having clocked close so many miles, and 95% being not done by me. I simply picked her up because of the exhilarating performance she showed when I took her for a TD. Just could not let go of the opportunity to get her home when my cousin wanted to sell.
You've done the right thing!

Quote:
The gear shifts are butter smooth, and slot perfectly, never missing a cog ever. Clutch also seems ok, nothing hard, but after a long drive 300+ on a stretch felt that the clutch felt unengaging, and a little sticky.
I'd bet its the stock clutch. My original clutch is still going strong after 105K kms. Just that it feels hard and sticky after some time in chock-a-block traffic. Don't replace it till it gets noticeably difficult to use.

Quote:
As regards to smoke, the car does not visibly let excessive smoke when on idle, or when driven with a light foot and low RPM shifts. However it smokes like hell, leaving a hug black trail when I accelerate hard between gears 2-3 / 3-4– between 1500 – 2500 RPM. Again when I settle down to acceptable RPMs it, the smoke comes back to normal. Is this ok and normal behavioral traits of this engine?

I have never lost power, or felt loss of power in the time the car has with me. The whistling of the turbo can be heard when the car is in motion at lower RPMs – but disappears when driven back at normal speeds. Is this normal? I have read horror stories of Hyundai turbo failures and expensive repairs associated. Should I be now worried given the above diagnosis of the current health of the engine? Is there any other way to know the health of the turbo – Typically how long would the turbo last before it needs replacement or an overhaul?
Firstly, a little black smoke under hard acceleration is ok for CRDI cars. It is normal behavioural trait of this engine. Cleaning up your EGR valve will reduce the quantity of black smoke.

Secondly, I don't think you need to check the health of the turbo. A shot turbo will give very noticeable symptoms (the ones I had mentioned in the earlier post). The symptoms you quoted are normal for this car.

Thirdly, the Turbo in this car is a simple fan-and-bearing setup. As long as you follow the one minute start-stop routine - one minute idle on cold start, and one minute idle before shutting off after a hard drive - the bearing will not have carbon deposits and your turbo should last forever.

Quote:
A wise recommendation on not going to a HASS. I am planning to go to a BOSCH service center, a couple of kms away from my house. I have seen all types of cars serviced here, including a 520D, E280, etc so I am assuming these guys do a good job
Hehe. Not discouraging you, but maybe you would refer to my personal experience with Bosch centres:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...competent.html

Quote:
The car was last serviced at 80K and now nearing 90K. So unsure if the oil is currently synthetic or mineral. Is it ok to downgrade to mineral if the oil inside is found to be synthetic?
Yes of course. Just remember that while changing from synthetic to mineral (or vice versa), drain out the old oil, do an engine flush and then fill the new oil.
Old 15th May 2015, 10:00   #240
BHPian

Quote:
That's a fantastic, clean example you got there. Till 2008 the beadings on this car were body colored, and even the diesel SX model didn't come with factory fitted alloys. Your car has after-market alloys. So your model year is confirmed. Get a cover for the steering wheel. It'll feel chunky and much better in your hand.
Thanks for the compliments. The credit goes to the previous owners who took pains to maintain the car in its current shape. Nice trivia on the 2008 models - i always thought the owner replaced the stock alloys with the Auras. I will definitely try out the steering cover.

Quote:
I would assume that the first owner (if he was as caring as you say) serviced the car only at HASS, at least during the warranty period. Go to any HASS, they will extract service record just basis your registration number. At least you'll know what was changed/repaired during the first 2/3 years.
I do have the manual service page which tracks service from 1K to 70K kms. Will go to a HASS soon to check the records.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-manual.jpg

Quote:
Still get them checked. One cannot be too careful with brakes. Besides, my experience says the brakes on this car don't give any warning till the pads are worn down to the core. If that happens, they'll also scour the discs.
Absolutely, get your point. Safety can never be compromised. Will check all four for wear and tear.

Quote:
Could be a shot front shock absorber. Mine lasted till 97K till one of the front shocks went bust and made that hollow thud noise. Scroll 2 pages back and you'll see the 97K service details, including pics of replacement shocks.
I assume so to. Will get this checked as well.

Quote:
Firstly, a little black smoke under hard acceleration is ok for CRDI cars. It is normal behavioural trait of this engine. Cleaning up your EGR valve will reduce the quantity of black smoke.

Secondly, I don't think you need to check the health of the turbo. A shot turbo will give very noticeable symptoms (the ones I had mentioned in the earlier post). The symptoms you quoted are normal for this car.

Thirdly, the Turbo in this car is a simple fan-and-bearing setup. As long as you follow the one minute start-stop routine - one minute idle on cold start, and one minute idle before shutting off after a hard drive - the bearing will not have carbon deposits and your turbo should last forever.
That is a relief to know. I religiously follow the 60 sec warm up and cool down policy. Infact I idle for about 90 secs before shutting down the engine. If i hit the highways, I extend the cool down for almost 180 secs. There is no compromise on this. Thanks to the this thread - I am a wise man on turbo cooling http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rged-cars.html

Quote:
Hehe. Not discouraging you, but maybe you would refer to my personal experience with Bosch centres:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...competent.html
Unfortuntaely I am not aware of any FNGs near my home in South Bangalore who take good care of Hyundais. I have to bite the bullet and go to Bosch - hoping that I don't run into service centers like what you experienced - That was harrowing. I would have completely lost sleep if my car was in such a condition.

In any case, I checked the TBHP directory as recommended, and I found another Bosch center, very close to my place and recommended highly by fellow members. I am hoping to go there soon - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html.

Quote:
Yes of course. Just remember that while changing from synthetic to mineral (or vice versa), drain out the old oil, do an engine flush and then fill the new oil.
Absolutely. Will do as recommended.

Thanks so much for taking time off for the guidance. Appreciate it
ukamath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks