Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:15   #91
Senior - BHPian

Where have all the Greenbacks gone?

And now, after all the hype and pics, here are some hard facts, in cash.

Had some time today, so prepared some scans of all the service bills I've incurred till now. Some funny facts emerge (if you have the time, read through. Or else just scroll to the bottom of the post and see the summary):

The first service fell due in November. There was no expenditure whatsoever except what the owner's manual lays out. consequently, a non interesting, zero value invoice.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-1st-service-invoice.jpg

The second service fell due in March. This one is normally to be done by 9k kms/6 months (whichever is earlier). Since my car was far below the benchmark mileage, the service advisor suggested that I don't replace the diesel filter then and there (its a sturdy item and has a safe life till 10K kms). I took his advice and saved some money there. Instead, I went for a Teflon coating, underbody paint and interior cleaning session. If you scan the bill carefully, you'll see most of the cost is toward these cosmetics. Hyundai customer service week was going on, so I got a 20 pct discount as well.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-2nd-service-invoice.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-2nd-service-joblist.jpg

In April, the accident happened. The bumper needed to be replaced, and it cost me almost INR 5K. Insurance paid most of it, and I was lucky to have the guy at fault (in the accident) own up and pay the rest.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-bumper-repair-invoice.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-bumper-repair-joblist.jpg

In July, having completed 10k kms, I took the car back for the pending diesel filter replacement. Also gave the car a thorough wash and wipe.

This was in fact an unlikely romantic day for me and my wife. It was raining heavily since morning, and very few cars had turned up at the Hyundai service centre. For most of the afternoon the team was working on my car. The 2 of us snuggled comfortably in the AC customer lounge watching a movie on TV, listening to the raindrops outside, while watching the bay below us where the car was being worked upon. Unexpected marital bliss in the most unlikely of places.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-filter-change-invoice.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-filter-change-joborder.jpg

Finally, on 30th September, the car was taken for the 3rd service. Usual disposables, plus another session of interior cleaning. Also taken care of were a dashboard noise, and a rattling right ORVM.

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-3rd-service-invoice.jpg

My Predator - Ebony Black Hyundai Verna CRDI SX ABS - 100,000 kms update on pg 15-3rd-service-joblist.jpg

So here's the summary. In one year, I've paid a total of 11,354 towards service. Rs 5150 (45pct) of it is toward cosmetic enhancements alone, and Rs 1544 is towards taxes, VAT etc (sheesh!). So my true cost of service is Rs 4660 only.

Name:  car repair snapshot year 1.bmp
Views: 3151
Size:  174.3 KB

Obviously, this being the first year, I'm living in fool's paradise. From next year, the labour costs will come in, increased cost of disposables, as well as chances of mechanical repairs (outside warranty). Lets see.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if fellow Verna CRDI owners can do a similar exercise and come up with a comparative analysis of their service costs.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2009, 16:30   #92
Senior - BHPian

Nice analysis.
I'm wondering why everytime they have filled in 5.5 litres of engine oil instead of 5.3 litres.

Find the details of my car here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1501265
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:17   #93
BHPian

Nice work this will be the reference book for verna owners like me, to make the preparations before each service and calculations after it. copied the page to offline Archives.. Thnx Predator.. (this thread adds to your name )
Old 5th October 2009, 13:07   #94
Senior - BHPian

hey i noticed that you r car has the 1400 bucks fuel filter , there are two types in vernas , one is the 1400 bucks one and i have the 930 bucks one.

Could you post a picture of the fuel filter cartridge when you get one next time for a comparo with the other one which i will also put up when i get my next change.
Old 5th October 2009, 13:28   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
hey i noticed that you r car has the 1400 bucks fuel filter , there are two types in vernas , one is the 1400 bucks one and i have the 930 bucks one.

Could you post a picture of the fuel filter cartridge when you get one next time for a comparo with the other one which i will also put up when i get my next change.
What is the difference between these 2 filters in general?
Old 6th October 2009, 11:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
What is the difference between these 2 filters in general?
I really don't know the difference , i am also given to understand that the dieel pumps are also of two types thats the reason why , if you ask the A.S.S for a fuel filter for any fuel pump related spare part they will ask for the target vehicles vin number for giving you the part.

Thats also the reason why i was asking to post the picture of the fuel filters.

Last edited by hellstar : 6th October 2009 at 11:31.
Old 6th October 2009, 11:46   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Nice analysis.
I'm wondering why everytime they have filled in 5.5 litres of engine oil instead of 5.3 litres.
Hi, quite a rocketship you got there. At a later stage, I too plan to go in for mods like a Pete's tuning box and an alternative filter.

Interesting point about the engine oil. Will ask the dealership when I go in next. But really, how much difference does 0.2 ltrs make to the cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshanand View Post
Nice work this will be the reference book for verna owners like me, to make the preparations before each service and calculations after it. copied the page to offline Archives.. Thnx Predator.. (this thread adds to your name )
Thank you my friend. Glad to know my thread has been of any help.

Quote:

Quote:
I really don't know the difference , i am also given to understand that the dieel pumps are also of two types thats the reason why , if you ask the A.S.S for a fuel filter for any fuel pump related spare part they will ask for the target vehicles vin number for giving you the part.

Thats also the reason why i was asking to post the picture of the fuel filters.
Hellstar, thats an extremely interesting point. I'll make it a point to put up pics of the fuel filler cartrdige next time I go for a service.

Is it possible that earlier model cars came with a different technical aspect, necessitating a different filter?
Old 7th October 2009, 18:49   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
My preferences were Performance, Space and Features (in that order).
Dada I DISAGREEE totally . Knowing you, the preference HAS to be only SPACE. And, if something on this earth can offer YOU a space, then it can NEVER perform.
------------

On a serious note, congrats for your car and such a great insightful writeup. I am soon to decide upon something for myself, and my budget would be in the same range. Preferably something to accomodate 5-6 people comfortably and safely. I would need your advice on this.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:20   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Dada I DISAGREEE totally . Knowing you, the preference HAS to be only SPACE. And, if something on this earth can offer YOU a space, then it can NEVER perform.
Why do I feel like performing precision brain surgery on you with a Battleaxe?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
On a serious note, congrats for your car and such a great insightful writeup. I am soon to decide upon something for myself, and my budget would be in the same range. Preferably something to accomodate 5-6 people comfortably and safely. I would need your advice on this.
Thanks for the compliments. As always, eager to help. But why 5-6 people? I thought you just got married last year!
Old 8th October 2009, 11:07   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Why do I feel like performing precision brain surgery on you with a Battleaxe?!!!
Yes you always do, have done it multiple times while thumping downhill from your room for a Coke and Pringles

Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. As always, eager to help. But why 5-6 people? I thought you just got married last year!
5-6 people includes only the existing ones FAMILY, but also will have to plan and consider the accruals
Old 30th October 2009, 13:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

I have Verna I have done 76000kms Good vehicle till now.While turning full radius used to get a noise so on the service advisor instructions changed the pulley Rs6000.Still the sound persists.Next service I am going to give my peices of my mind.
Old 30th October 2009, 13:54   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I have Verna I have done 76000kms Good vehicle till now.While turning full radius used to get a noise so on the service advisor instructions changed the pulley Rs6000.Still the sound persists.Next service I am going to give my peices of my mind.
Why did you accept the car from them in that case?

And where is this noise coming from?
Old 1st November 2009, 12:10   #103
BHPian

what about the trebling noise trrrrrRRRRR... from the dash, when you pick up slowly from 1000-1200 rpm in 3,4 or 5th gear? is that common?
Old 1st November 2009, 12:24   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeshanand View Post
what about the trebling noise trrrrrRRRRR... from the dash, when you pick up slowly from 1000-1200 rpm in 3,4 or 5th gear? is that common?
These are vibrations which occur due to lugging the engine. Can be avoided.
Old 1st November 2009, 12:38   #105
BHPian

but it sounds like a plastic rattle...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks