Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2011, 16:30   #316
BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

@Gaurav - For 12 odd thousand rupees getting pretty much an entire new suspension is not money well spent but brilliantly spent. Add to it the fact that you've got Mando suspension is even better. We did discuss that Mando is a good company. All in all I think that's awesome VFM.

Your regularly updated thread is amazing and more or less a Bible for Cedia owners such as me.
lifeonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2011, 17:42   #317
Senior - BHPian

re: Its White, its Sports and its a Mitsubishi Cedia - 1.4L km up & new S-drives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I
I am not too sure, if the guy would be able to send the parts to pune, but I can certainly give you his number and you can talk to him directly.

Thanks Gaurav. I have my older lower arms whose bushes need replacement. I doubt he will send those by courier, but still I will give it a shot. Can you please give me his number?
Old 26th September 2011, 20:43   #318
BHPian

Good to see the car back in top shop
Only thing left is the clockspring,right? Do write the letter soon and you can quote my registration number(DL 3C AY5651) for reference. Also, I think it'll be best if you leave out the kms your car has covered. Just mentioning the number of years should be enough. Best of luck!
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 20:30   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
@Gaurav - For 12 odd thousand rupees getting pretty much an entire new suspension is not money well spent but brilliantly spent. Add to it the fact that you've got Mando suspension is even better. We did discuss that Mando is a good company. All in all I think that's awesome VFM.
Thanks Boss , yes, I too think its money brilliantly spent, especially after this conversation with my dad.

Me: I got cedia's suspension over-hauled.
Dad: How much did you spent.
Me: 14k.
Dad: 40k
Me: no no, one four 14..
Dad: I have got suspension jobs done in past, costed 16k+ for swift only, tell me honestly, how much did you spent.
Me: Speechless..

Lastly, yes, we know how good mando as a company is.

Quote:
Your regularly updated thread is amazing and more or less a Bible for Cedia owners such as me.
Thanks again but including "such as me" was heavy, kheechni hai to call karke kheech lo..Forum pe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thanks Gaurav. I have my older lower arms whose bushes need replacement. I doubt he will send those by courier, but still I will give it a shot. Can you please give me his number?
Sure, will take the guy's number from my mechanic raju, and PM it to you in a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Good to see the car back in top shop
Only thing left is the clockspring,right? Do write the letter soon and you can quote my registration number(DL 3C AY5651) for reference. Also, I think it'll be best if you leave out the kms your car has covered. Just mentioning the number of years should be enough. Best of luck!
Thanks a lot for all your help Bro. Yes, only thing left is clockspring.... and aaa tires.. and aaa interior/exterior detailing and aaa...lolzzz. Will send across a mail to Mitsubishi tomorrow for clockspring. Lets see if they agree to some discount. Regarding the kms, they will check it with Asian Motors, if I dont write it or they may mail me back for the same. Dont think kms will really matter since, its a non wear and tear part and moreover a genetic defect in cedia. But thanks a lot for all your help. Now, dont remind me that a new one costs 12k...lolzzzz

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th September 2011 at 20:32.
Old 27th September 2011, 20:32   #320
Senior - BHPian

What is the generic defect with clockspring?
Old 27th September 2011, 20:42   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the generic defect with clockspring?
The Airbag's clockspring, which is installed behind the steering wheel, moves with the steering wheel. In cedia, this clock spring fails every 3-4 years. There is no such milage after which it goes off or anything. Every 2nd cedia you will see will have this issue. I have personally seen over 7-8 myself and Asian Motors too agreed to the fact that the clock spring of cedia and pajero fails every 2+ years, anything extra is bonus.

Bhpian Sukrit has had this problem with his car, my car has it, my cousin's cedia had it, my friend's cedia had it, Bhpian Harshal's cedia had it and I think Bhpian RajaTaurus's cedia also had a similar issue. Have seen a few other cars in ASC too..
Old 27th September 2011, 22:09   #322
Senior - BHPian

How do we know if this fails? What are the symptoms?
Old 28th September 2011, 00:41   #323
BHPian

Quote:
How do we know if this fails? What are the symptoms?
The 'SRS' light comes on when the clock spring fails.If it goes off when you turn the steering wheel and only comes on around the center position then it's probably the clock spring. As gaurav said, it's a rather common issue that should have been addressed by a recall.

@Gaurav- Sir, please don't thank me. You've helped out tremendously.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 10:36   #324
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sukrit. I will observe carefully in my Cedia.
As far as I recall seeing in my Cedia, the SRS light comes on when I turn on ignition and then goes off after the self-check.
Are you saying that after this self-check, the light comes on even while you are driving and suddenly disappears when the steering wheel is back in the center position? If that is the case, then I should have noticed it by now.
Also, what is the solution? Replacement of the spring? How much does it cost at A.S.S and in outside market?
Old 29th September 2011, 00:02   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sukrit. I will observe carefully in my Cedia.
As far as I recall seeing in my Cedia, the SRS light comes on when I turn on ignition and then goes off after the self-check.
Are you saying that after this self-check, the light comes on even while you are driving and suddenly disappears when the steering wheel is back in the center position? If that is the case, then I should have noticed it by now.
Also, what is the solution? Replacement of the spring? How much does it cost at A.S.S and in outside market?
You're alright as long as it goes off after the self-check. When the clock spring fails, the light will turn on depending on the position of the steering wheel. In my case, it would come on when the steering wheel was in the center position and go off when I turned it right or left.
The SRS light doesn't necessarily mean the clock spring has conked, it can also be a fuse issue or a charging problem. In the cedia however, it's usually a clock spring problem.

Yes. Only solution is replacement of the spring which costs 12.3k from Mitsubishi. It's a 5 minute job. I highly doubt you'll find this part outside and even if you do, I wouldn't recommend it.

I wrote a mail to Mitsubishi stating that the problem was a common one and hence a recall should have been issued. It was a rather longish mail that resulted in a 50% discount.

Gaurav once told me that the clockspring can fail if the steering is turned without the engine being on. Do keep that in mind and far as possible, avoid doing it.
Old 29th September 2011, 09:49   #326
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip in the last line.
What is the risk in case the clock spring fails?
Old 29th September 2011, 10:15   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N
Thanks for the tip in the last line.
What is the risk in case the clock spring fails?
In case of an accident,the airbag will not deploy.
Don't worry about it now,man. Your car has covered a lot. I guess you're among the lucky ones
Old 29th September 2011, 19:37   #328
Senior - BHPian

14K is pretty mean deal, Gaurav! Congrats. Car must be rocking like anything now.

PS: the pic of 3 lancers is too good. Loved it.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 20:15   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355
14K is pretty mean deal, Gaurav! Congrats. Car must be rocking like anything now.

PS: the pic of 3 lancers is too good. Loved it.
Thanks Rohit .

Well I actually spent 12,200, but told 14k to dad. Need some extra cash for tires .

The car is certainly rocking; before the change, the steering used to dance on the tunes of dhinka chika dhinka chika at 100+ because of kaput shocks, but after the change the car was rock solid even at 160.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 09:57   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
In case of an accident,the airbag will not deploy.
Don't worry about it now,man. Your car has covered a lot. I guess you're among the lucky ones
Oh, boy! That is serious.
I thought it was just light which would come on or off -maybe a minor irritant.
But, now that you have mentioned that airbags will fail to deploy, I will have to check the service history and see if this was already changed earlier.

I wouldn't hesitate to consider outside market sources if this is available at 50% cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks