Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 18:51   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even a minor leak will show up as something.
That it will!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
....some service light or error code.
Also look out for smoke color. If it goes blue, problems!
No error codes for loss of compression or broken rings/damaged cylinders/main bearings - the ear has to tell. As to blue smoke - the damage by that time would be bad enough for a full rebuild. Heaven forbid!!!
Old 27th August 2010, 18:55   #242
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Doc,
How come i missed all this action. Any way keep you vehicle under observation for next 1000 kms. If there isn't any check engine or blue/white smoke at cold start or AC idling for 3 to 4 minutes then nothing to worry.

I think compression will not show initial engine damage symptoms.

Send a mail to A.s.s and the M&M customer care and demand a reply for the same for future reference.
Old 27th August 2010, 21:11   #243
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I can understand your mental state, both as a proud owner, and in view of your impending trip.

I feel the first places lack of lubrication will show its effect are
Cam
Turbo
Bigends

Turbo and bigends will have to be stripped for examination. However, the cam lobes can be checked visually, and simply. Do that. If there are score marks, raise hell with MM. Otherwise I think you are fine. Actually I dont think there is any lasting damage.

I don't think a compression test will reveal anything. Drive with your ears attuned to the turbo whine, bigend clatter, and check oil consumption/ smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
What did the service guys tell me, Spike? What I've said above is all they told me! In all these years, I've never come across such Olympian incompetence!
You think MM A S S got its reputation just like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Gosh, I can't believe my eyes. Is this happening in an authorized dealership? Why is oil filter being changed in roadside?

Spike
Like some kings of yore who used to walk about the common people in mufti, you too have to do the same. Only then you'll know what we face.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th August 2010, 23:02   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I feel the first places lack of lubrication will show its effect are
Cam
Turbo
Bigends

Turbo and bigends will have to be stripped for examination. However, the cam lobes can be checked visually, and simply. Do that. If there are score marks, raise hell with MM.

I don't think a compression test will reveal anything. Drive with your ears attuned to the turbo whine, bigend clatter, and check oil consumption/ smoke.
True, Sutripta-da - the ear has to tell, as I said before. No error codes in this kind of a situation.

You seem to be telepathic - I was just thinking "what about the turbo?" this evening, and then I'm looking at your post! Will listen in to the turbo whine tomorrow (and as always).

Will be taking the car to the service centre tomorrow for a wash and closer inspection off the ground - will have the camshaft checked then - thanks for the tip.
Old 28th August 2010, 21:04   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the good news is that there are no more oil leaks at present. The engine sounds good, no funny noises/clatter even when listening in with a screwdriver. The turbo whine sounds like it used to, no smoke from the tailpipe, and the car feels okay. Spent between 12:30 PM & 7 PM at the workshop, getting a good wash for the car (which stripped off a little paint from the cladding), as well as a thorough underbody check and the 25k km service. As a courtesy measure, Koncept waived off the bill for today's service.

I also had an air filter box replaced under warranty. Why? Someone had also botched up the bolts of the air filter - the bolts had slipped and wouldn't open. I like that - no spare bolts in the workshop. I'm not complaining about getting a new box under warranty though.

The type of oil filter removal tool that Spike described does not exist in the workshop (incidentally my FNG where the Swift goes, has it) - and the mechanics haven't even heard of such a thing! I guess by the time of the next oil change, I'll buy my own and carry it.

I wanted the prop shaft U-joints greased - there are grease nipples on all the joints for that very purpose. There was no grease gun in the workshop, and I was told greasing is not required there at all, since it is not a part of servicing a vehicle. Next time, I'll take along my own grease gun.

Had a long chat with the GM of the workshop - a gentleman from Lucknow who's just taken charge of the workshop 3 months ago. He's a Mechanical Engineer and an MBA, and is still trying to streamline things; and is obviously not succeeding yet. I was promised radical improvement in the work culture there after one month. Maybe I won't have to carry my own tools the next time I visit them.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 28th August 2010 at 21:05.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:01   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also had an air filter box replaced under warranty. Why? Someone had also botched up the bolts of the air filter - the bolts had slipped and wouldn't open. I like that - no spare bolts in the workshop. I'm not complaining about getting a new box under warranty though.

The type of oil filter removal tool that Spike described does not exist in the workshop (incidentally my FNG where the Swift goes, has it) - and the mechanics haven't even heard of such a thing! I guess by the time of the next oil change, I'll buy my own and carry it.
Good to hear things have been sorted out. I am to hear that the mechanics haven't even heard of the tool yet, this answers the reason behind the oil filter failure. Are you talking about the Allen bolts used in air filter assy?

Spike

PS-Next time when you go to this place just ask them what is MST 545? If possible ask this to the Kotec guy over there.
Old 29th August 2010, 09:40   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Are you talking about the Allen bolts used in air filter assy?

PS-Next time when you go to this place just ask them what is MST 545? If possible ask this to the Kotec guy over there.
That's right - it was 2 of the Allen bolts that wouldn't open.

MST 545? LOL... You beat me there too! Got to look this up.
Old 10th September 2010, 17:45   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

9/9/10: 10 months, 20 days. Hawk-on-fours completed 25,000 km.

Overall average: 12.28km/l. Best: 13.68 km/l; worst: 9.94 km/l.

Overall maintenance cost: Rs.12887. Includes broken mirror, perfume bottles, broken wheel hub-cap, all services.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-dsc01331k150.jpg
Old 10th September 2010, 18:07   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
9/9/10: 10 months, 20 days. Hawk-on-fours completed 25,000 km.

Overall average: 12.28km/l. Best: 13.68 km/l; worst: 9.94 km/l.

Overall maintenance cost: Rs.12887. Includes broken mirror, perfume bottles, broken wheel hub-cap, all services.
Mine was around Rs. 18,500 which includes Rs. 3500 for AC servicing.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:39   #250
BHPian

This post gave me goose bumps!! The expected date of delivery of my White Vlx BS4 4x4 with Air bags is around the first week of November. The wait is akin to 3rd degree torture!!
Old 18th September 2010, 18:22   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

@Janjua: Congratulations on booking your Scorpio 4wd. Let's hear about your booking experience on a new thread.
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:30   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

The worst day yet of my daily commute. Almost 5 hours to cover the 70 km distance, and that too with a 3-4 km forced offroading session on 4H through mud and slush (should have saved at least half an hour). Dropped the front left wheel into an invisible mother-of-a-pothole and damaged the front bumper. Fortunately did not get stuck - a 2WD would have been. Bumper looks repairable. Pics tomorrow.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:08   #253
Senior - BHPian

Let the full-time lane reservations for the CWG start. If you are one of the unlucky ones, then it could be even worse. Don't mean to sound sadistic, but maybe I'm just giving vent to my own apprehensions.

Last edited by architect : 23rd September 2010 at 00:10.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:16   #254
BHPian

Full-time lane reservations have been deferred for the time being(Acc to Jt CP Traffic) as reported on Facebook, I hope it remains deferred till 1st oct.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:25   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dropped the front left wheel into an invisible mother-of-a-pothole and damaged the front bumper. Fortunately did not get stuck - a 2WD would have been. Bumper looks repairable. Pics tomorrow.
Uh-oh! Let me know if you need a good bumper repair guy - found one last weekend as I may have mentioned....

As far as commuting is concerned, the less said the better. Took me 55 minutes to get from Jasola to Savitri yesterday (a distance of 8kms???). The remaining 23 or so kms took another 45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks