Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 09:03   #196
BHPian

Factory default is 140 kmph for buzzer to come on and turns off when you come down to 130 kmph.

The changing process is through the Mode switch on the instrument cluster which goes into speed setting mode after trip 1, b and tpms mode.
Old 20th January 2010, 09:49   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@SS:

Good point on cruise control. I generally like to drive fast and after my first speeding ticket in the USA, I researched various radar/laser detectors. Most cops in the US no longer use radar. They have gone to laser based systems that shoot a pin point ray which reflects back to the laser gun. There is no diffusion like in the radar so basically if you lazer detected sounds an alert, it means that your car has already been tagged.

The most effective for me was cruise control. I would typically set it about 7 to 9 miles above the speed limit which is generally forgiven in most roads in the US and keep going. As you correctly pointed out when you have a powerful vehicle and an empty stretch of road, it is hard to keep within the limits and many times you go over the limit by mistake/distraction and this is when you get tagged !!
Old 19th February 2010, 12:58   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a quick note: Whoever designed the bodywork on the Scorpio never needed to clean it. There are so many nooks and crannies, it's not funny. My regular cleaning guy is on leave, and my efforts to do a good job of cleaning the car myself left me with sore fingers. I know, the pressure washer's there (demo pics here) but that's not for daily use.
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:24   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

2nd service

The Hawk-on-fours went in for 2nd service yesterday at 10,364 km.

Jobs done:
  1. Wash, clean, gear oil change
  2. Broken left ORVM replaced (Rs.1376 + tax, plus Rs.250 labour charges - ouch!)
  3. Blown cigarette lighter fuse replaced with spare
  4. Rain & Light Sensor (RLS) cover behind IRVM fell out - fixed back with double-sided tape
  5. AC particle filter cleaned
  6. Wheel alignment (Rs.480 + tax)
  7. Remote key checked and fixed (low battery).
Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-abcd0019k150.jpg

Total bill: Rs.2731. Time taken: 4 hours.

Tyre rotation and balancing deferred till next month because Koncept's air compressor isn't working properly, so they could not reset the TPMS after rotation. I need to go back in late May anyway before leaving for a 6,000-km across-country run in June; that's when I'll get the tyres rotated.

SA wanted to apply something called "synthetic lubricant" (estimate Rs.360 + tax) to seat runners and glass channels, which was politely declined. Never heard of the stuff myself (looked like white silicone grease - SA insisted it does not attract dust- haha!), and a quick phone call to gd1418 confirmed my suspicion that it's just another way for the service centre to make money.
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:33   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
SA wanted to apply something called "synthetic lubricant" (estimate Rs.360 + tax) to seat runners and glass channels, which was politely declined. Never heard of the stuff myself (looked like white silicone grease - SA insisted it does not attract dust- haha!), ....
Doc, their claim is correct - it does not attract dust!

The problem is that when atmospheric dust comes to the grease it is held tenaciously like any other self respecting grease would do!! Haha!
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:58   #201
BHPian

@SS-Traveller,

I went to koncept motors today to check out a scorpio 4x4. I think I met the same sales guy. He mentioned that he sold only 1 4x4 scorpio in his 2.5 years at this showroom to a dentist who knows anand mahindra

Now I am really confused about the seat options available on the 4x4 MT version. You mention that you got your scorpio with middle row captain seats and bench rear seats. The sales guy called someone and told me that the 4x4 MT version is only available with a bench middle seat and inward facing rear seats.

To confuse things further, I had called up a dealer in east delhi and over there the sales guy told me that the 4x4 is only available with middle captain seats. I did not enquire about the rear seat with that sales guy..

-- no1lives4ever

Last edited by no1lives4ever : 22nd May 2010 at 21:00.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:16   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lives4ever View Post
I think I met the same sales guy.
Deepak is his name! I got his call while you were there.
Quote:
Now I am really confused about the seat options available on the 4x4 MT version. You mention that you got your scorpio with middle row captain seats and bench rear seats. The sales guy called someone and told me that the 4x4 MT version is only available with a bench middle seat and inward facing rear seats.
AFAIK, M&M was offering the option of 2+2+3 and 2+3+3 seats, all forward facing, on the VLX 4WD at the time I booked mine. There was subsequently an advisory from M&M to all dealers (I've seen that email), wherein they said that 4WD Scorpios (both MT & AT) will only be available in black or white (no other colour options), and the only seating option offered will be 2+3+2 seats (with third row being side-facing jump seats). No 8 seater options either.
Quote:
I had called up a dealer in east delhi and over there the sales guy told me that the 4x4 is only available with middle captain seats. I did not enquire about the rear seat with that sales guy..
Careful about what any M&M dealer's sales guy tells you, unless you get it in writing. Make sure you have 2.2L 4WD VLX written all over your booking form, else you'll find on the date of delivery that you've been sold a SLE 2.6L CRDe 4WD! Deepak is a bright example of what a sales guy shouldn't be, and he has no idea about the product(s) he sells. You'll know why, since you've already read this thread from the beginning, I presume!
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:20   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of updates:

My first puncture today - the rear right tyre. TPMS kicked in at around 25 psi. Topped up air to 35 psi, puncture repaired subsequently at Gurgaon, after driving some 30 km in the meanwhile (one mean-looking 1.5" screw in the tread - repaired in 10 minutes for Rs.30).

A few days ago, near Sarai Kale Khan, an idiot with a pushcart (rehri-wala) came in front dangerously, and I hit the brakes. Heard a squeal of tyres behind me, then a thud. RVMs told me there's an auto-rickshaw behind me. Traffic was heavy, and I wasn't getting down to inspect damage. Que sera, sera.

Back home, I inspected for damage, and there was absolutely none visible. The hit had been hard, so I was a little puzzled. Closer inspection revealed a green dot on the tow ball.

To the auto-rickshaw driver: Sorry, buddy. Next time, keep safe distance.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:59   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The 4x4 MT is available in two 7 Seater configurations. You can get either middle bench with side facing third row like in SS Travellers or middle captains with front facing third row like mine (see my thread for pictures). So basically both are available. Download the pic from my thread and show it to the dealer for proof.

My vehicle was delivered in Feb 2010. Not sure if there are any changes since then. Either way, contact Mahindra directly through their website.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 23rd May 2010 at 12:01.
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:36   #205
Senior - BHPian

30 bucks for tubeless puncture is cheap, I have paid once 50 bucks in Gurgaon, somewhere people asked me 70 bucks for repair.

Pity that Auto Wallah, these are some of the things which make 4x4 scorpio a king of the road.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:51   #206
BHPian

Now I am totally confused about the variants available with the 4x4 VLX MT scorpio. As suggested by 4x4addict, I shot an email to Mahindra customer care asking for a clarification on the seat options. In reply, the mahindra customer care person asked my phone number. I then got a call from the customer care agent asking me which city I am in and which dealer was closer to me. By now, it was clear that they would only forward my number to a dealer.

I next got a call from Koncept's Noida office. And here the sales girl was slightly confused as to weather i was based in delhi or noida. My office is in noida, so maybe that added to the confusion.

The real confusion came, when I asked about seat options and about colour options. Here the sales girl told me that the 4x4 MT version comes in 3 colour options White, Black and some shade of Brown. Also she told me that middle row captains seat was an option I could select when I book my vehicle. She mentioned something about the booking form and the selection of options on that form. Delivery schedules as per this sales girl was like "Sir it is going to be minimum 4 weeks, unless we have a cancelled order." I asked "Does it take longer than 4 weeks", to which she replied "4 weeks is roughly what it takes to deliver this vehicle, but sometimes it takes longer".

Mahindra sure makes it very confusing and difficult to buy a 4x4 scorpio.

-- no1lives4ever
Old 26th May 2010, 11:09   #207
BHPian

Please don't go by the dealers promises. From what I understand, 4X4 scorpios are only delivered after a period of 8-10 weeks.

I have booked a 4X2 AT from the same dealer, it's been a month since I last heard anything about the delivery date from them!
Old 26th May 2010, 12:35   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The 4x4 MT is available in two 7 Seater configurations. You can get either middle bench with side facing third row like in SS Travellers or middle captains with front facing third row like mine (see my thread for pictures). So basically both are available.
Mine is also 7-seater with middle row captain's seat and front facing third-row bench seat as shown below. AFAIK, this configuration is currently not available, but no harm in checking and reconfirming with M&M.

Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) with a tail - Scorpio mHawk 4WD EDIT: Sold!-captain-seats.jpg
Old 26th May 2010, 15:54   #209
BHPian

Today morning I saw a missed call from an unknown Delhi number on my phone. I called back and it was the direct number to a person from M&M's Delhi office. He confirmed the following to me:

a. There are 3 colour options available with the 4WD Scorpio - White, Black & Brown (I do not remember the exact shade of brown)

b. Middle row captains seat is an option that is still available with 4WD Scorpios.

c. I had also enquired about the kind of damage a BS-IV Scorpio would suffer when used with regular non BS-IV diesel. I am paraphrasing the response I got from the person at M&M below:
"I enquired with the knowledgeable people in the company, and the response that I have obtained is that the Scorpios you can safely use non BS-IV fuel in a BS-IV Scorpio. We know that people who buy these vehicles take it out of town and the catalytic convertors, which are affected by sulphur content in the fuel are capable of handling regular high sulphur diesel."

Now I do not know how this works. Is it that when one fills regular diesel, the vehicle will get into a higher than mandated pollution mode w/o affecting the catalytic convertors (if any) and then revert back to BS-IV specs once all the diesel is replaced with ULSD? Or will using non ULSD diesel end up damaging some components which will only show up when one goes for the PUC (like using leaded gasoline would, on vehicles with catalytic convertors)?

-- no1lives4ever
@SS.. sorry for hijacking your ownership review thread. Maybe we can pull these seat config posts to a separete thread.
Old 26th May 2010, 17:52   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning I saw a missed call from an unknown Delhi number on my phone. I called back and it was the direct number to a person from M&M's Delhi office. He confirmed the following to me:
good. atleast they are bothered to sell a 4WD scorpio.

Quote:
a. There are 3 colour options available with the 4WD Scorpio - White, Black & Brown (I do not remember the exact shade of brown)
java brown???

Quote:
c. I had also enquired about the kind of damage a BS-IV Scorpio would suffer when used with regular non BS-IV diesel. I am paraphrasing the response I got from the person at M&M below:
"I enquired with the knowledgeable people in the company, and the response that I have obtained is that the Scorpios you can safely use non BS-IV fuel in a BS-IV Scorpio. We know that people who buy these vehicles take it out of town and the catalytic convertors, which are affected by sulphur content in the fuel are capable of handling regular high sulphur diesel."
now, since BS IV regulations have been enforced, a lot of other vehicles like indica, innova etc. is being sold as BS IV. these vehicles often run as taxis & out of metros, where BS IV diesel may not be available. so i think the scorpio will easily manage with non BS-IV diesel.

Most Viewed