Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 07:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

excellent writeup. Truly from the heart. I am surprised to hear that you had only 1 part failure till date. You must really take good care of you car (Touchwood). You are right, this car is an excellent driver's car, the highway manners being exceptional!
Old 28th April 2010, 08:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Lovely report Damu. And even better narration.

Enjoyed it very much, thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post

Great write-up, I wish you many more happy miles

Cheers
@ Eddy and
@ Raghu:
I enjoyed writing this and I am pleased that fellow enthusiasts like you have enjoyed reading this. Thanks for the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
Damu beautiful report. Cheers from one ikon lover to another ikon lover. you have woke me up from my slumber and this week end will try to put up my report.
Thanks Khatau! Yep, this feeling of Ikon owners can be described as a brotherhood! In fact, I would dare say that it includes Figo and Fiesta owners as well. Look forward to your long term report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
They were oblivious to the 1.6 moniker at the tail of the car.

After almost 75k in 5.5 yrs, the car does not even let out a small rattle.

Some other expenses related to use are also lined up. But I dont mind, will keep this car longer.
1100D:
Yes that 1.6 badge says a lot!
Rattles - I forgot to mention in my report, no rattles in my car either. It is well built indeed. Fortunately, Ford's cost cutting never includes important parts.
I agree, I don't mind spending either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi damu,

Wonderful report for you 1.6 ikon. I have 1.3Flair...but the 1.3 engine does take a lot of time to reach those figures.
This write up needs some more pics.
And I have the same colour as you
Fordmanchau, I guess there will be a difference in top speed and acceleration, but I am glad to hear that the driving experience is the same. In a way, I feel that the 1.3 might actually be a safer bet, because of the high speeds possible in the 1.6.
HYD-BLR-YER is a LONG trip!
BTW, does the 1.3 have the 13" wheels or 14"?
Yes I will post more pics perhaps this weekend, the shots here are from our holidays in 2006 and 2007. Oyster is a lovely colour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Wonderful report Damu! Enjoyed reading every word of it. Shows your love for the vehicle.
Abhinav, Thanks buddy!

Last edited by Eddy : 28th April 2010 at 12:20. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 28th April 2010, 08:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I also own a Ikon (1.3 Nxt;6 Yrs;70K+ Kms) and I couldn't agree more with your report, except on the maintenance part Mine drained me! But then I don't mind.
[i]Here's my report:...
Hi Kiku, I read your report, and it's great! I am so glad to make your acquaintance because I am also thinking of a Fiesta, and as you have owned both you can guide me. I heard that the Fiesta 1.6S is not available now, do you have some info from Ford on this?

Maintenance. Could be due to the fact that your Ikon was used. Used cars tend to have higher maintenance. I had an used Esteem and maintenance was higher than other Esteems.
My Ikon also has been expensive, but as I mentioned, I always go by the book. Hence it is expected to be high. But, worth every penny as you will agree!
My Accent was definitely more economical to maintain.
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Welcome Dam.....
That was an awesome report. You can get yourself a new car but don't ever think of selling the Ikon.
Hi Sandy, nice to meet you here! I also am thinking of keeping the Ikon even if I buy another car.
Yes I was referring to your AC which is better than the one in my car.
I agree that Harish is a really good guy. I think all Ford owners in Bangalore who have unresolved issues should visit Metro Ford Lingarajpuram and meet him. Even if he cannot solve the problem, at least he will give you a sincere hearing.
The suspension overhaul will cost a packet I presume. This is how the Ikon gets the reputation of being expensive.
But what is not considered is that fact that this suspension is not an ordinary one; naturally it will cost more than other cars. Given the performance difference, comparisions would be unfair to the Ikon.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th April 2010 at 12:21. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:21   #19
BHPian

Damu,a very honest and straight from the heart review of the 1.6 Ikon.

I had one till about a month back and echo all that you have mentioned about this awesome car.

On the muffler issue that you faced in your car, incase it relates to the mid can of the exhaust syestem, I suggest that you get it changed as a rusted(internally) can, might have an impact of the performance and mileage of the car. I got mine changed for approx. 5.5 K.

Looking forward for more updates regularly.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
1100D:
Fordmanchau, I guess there will be a difference in top speed and acceleration, but I am glad to hear that the driving experience is the same. In a way, I feel that the 1.3 might actually be a safer bet, because of the high speeds possible in the 1.6.
HYD-BLR-YER is a LONG trip!
BTW, does the 1.3 have the 13" wheels or 14"?
Yes I will post more pics perhaps this weekend, the shots here are from our holidays in 2006 and 2007. Oyster is a lovely colour!
All Ikon's have 13'' wheels.Did any Ikon come with 14''??
Pardon my ignorance. My car wheels are of 13''.
My car color is called Platinum, but your oyster looks the same to me.
You can check out my car pics here;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-josh-4.html

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 28th April 2010 at 12:16.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
All Ikon's have 13'' wheels.Did any Ikon come with 14''??
All ikons before 2003 ( iguess) came with 13" wheels. newer ones come with 14" wheels
Old 28th April 2010, 13:19   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
All ikons before 2003 ( iguess) came with 13" wheels. newer ones come with 14" wheels
The newer 1.6 versions came with 14"ers, but never the Flair / 1.3 versions.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Even few 1.6's in 2003 came with 13 inchers. Mine is March 2003 and it has 13" wheels.
Old 28th April 2010, 16:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

Damu,

Your report left me nostalgic thinking about my old workhorse. A 1.6NXT ZXi of the same shade that I had bought back in 2004 like you did! I clocked around 96K KMs in 5 years before I sold it off last May 2009 for something more special.

I still do miss the Ikon. The low end torque and the super steering made every day driving more fun! I do miss my car, but then I do get to drive it when I wish since I sold it to my close acquaintance
Old 28th April 2010, 17:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am so glad to make your acquaintance because I am also thinking of a Fiesta, and as you have owned both you can guide me. I heard that the Fiesta 1.6S is not available now, do you have some info from Ford on this?
Damu, I own a 1.6S and it's still available. Only the Aquarius color has been discontinued. After driving an Ikon, the only logical upgrade is a Fiesta 1.6. Any questions on the 1.6S, don't hesitate to ask.

I loved your report.
Old 28th April 2010, 17:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Nice review Damu, I agree with most of your points...
I upgraded the front struts to the diesel ikon ones, they are little more stiffer..
Hi Shaz, Thanks. That part about struts is interesting - I didn't know about this. Any further info on this mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Very nicely written review. Ikon 1.6 is a real pleasure to drive.
Thanks Anshuman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Damu, thanks for a wonderful writeup on your Ikon. i can totally relate to the feelings and experiences you mention, except for the top-end whack part.. since mine is a 1.3 L engine. Do update this thread on a regular basis, and do add some recent snaps as well.
Rating this review as well, since this is one straight from the heart.
Hi Bensb, Maybe, given the suspicious brakes of the Ikon, 1.3's lower top end might actually make it a safer car while retaining many of the plus points!

I will add new snaps very soon.

My car now is not the same pristine example as in 2006 and 2007 - a kiss to a Scorpio's butt (my fault) (2008), my wife's affection for a concrete pillar (2010), and a parking valet's carelessness (2010) have resulted in some blemishes :(

And thanks for the rating too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Hey, Damu, such a great review! The gleaming beauty doesn't look more than 6 weeks old .
I am enjoying my Ikon too, even in its 8th year. Not intending to sell it...Maybe I need to re polish / wax it ?

The other issue is regarding the front mud flaps,
Hi Mooza, thanks. My beauty still gleams but now bears a few scars. Will post pix soon.
Glad to know that quite a few people are so attached to their Ikons!

When I bought my car I had it Waxoyl'ed before I took delivery, the effect of which is visible even now. Maybe you should try a wax polish? I think you could check with a 3M dealer, they have some car detailing products and they should be good.
The mud flaps, well, my approach (as I do for the other Ikon flaws) is "grin and bear it"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
excellent writeup. Truly from the heart. I am surprised to hear that you had only 1 part failure till date.
Hi Govi, Yes only one part failure. Even that didn't immobilise the car though. That's probably because I do preventive maintenance (as given the manual). Expensive, but this approach has resulted in peace of mind and trouble-free driving for 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Damu,a very honest and straight from the heart review of the 1.6 Ikon. I had one till about a month back and echo all that you have mentioned about this awesome car.
On the muffler issue that you faced in your car, incase it relates to the mid can of the exhaust syestem,
Hi Zen, thanks. The muffler problem was in the last part of the exhaust before the final tail pipe. Hope that's not the part you referred to? Thanks for the tip, will keep it in mind.

Quote:
All Ikon's have 13'' wheels.Did any Ikon come with 14''??...
but your oyster looks the same to me.
You can check out my car pics here;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-josh-4.html
I don't know about pre-2004, but from 2004 I think all 1.3s had 13" wheels and 1.6s had 14" wheels.
I didn't know what 'oyster' was till I bought my car!
Will check your pic and report too.

Cheers to all!
Old 28th April 2010, 19:25   #27
BHPian

I was not referring to the end can but the mid can which is between the catalytic converter and the end can..just in case this gets rusted, which in my case got rusted first, it is advisable to get a new one.
Old 28th April 2010, 21:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
The other issue is regarding the front mud flaps, which allow mud to get sprayed on the lower parts of the front doors. Going by all the Ikons around me, it seems to be a part of the Ikon package ! Has anyone installed aftermarket front mud flaps here ? Metro Ford has been helpless, whenever I ask them.
Quote:
The mud flaps, well, my approach (as I do for the other Ikon flaws) is "grin and bear it"!
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-img_2495.jpg

Probably you guys are referring to this. I also clicked this pic specially for this reason. I found this mud thing unusual, as I didn't drive through any rain or mud. Probably the small mud flaps are the culprit.
Old 29th April 2010, 10:50   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Probably you guys are referring to this. I also clicked this pic specially for this reason. I found this mud thing unusual, as I didn't drive through any rain or mud. Probably the small mud flaps are the culprit.
Quote:
If one is open to looking at non-OEM options for the mudflaps, there are some options to be tried out. These days, a lot of the Ikons which serve as cabs have the Sparco mudflaps, which are longer as well as wider. They dont fit as snug as the OEM flaps though, but are much more functional.

The other option is to look at mudflaps from other manufacturers, such as the idea which Condor has implemented for his Ikon. He's gone ahead and used Tata mudflaps for his car as a DIY. You could check out his ownership thread for pics of the same.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip regarding the wax, Damu. Will try it.

@benbsb29, thanks for sharing the options for the mudflaps ! Cleaning the car is going to get a lot easier after this mod.
As Fordmanchau pointed out, the smaller flaps seem to be the culprit. I will scout around for a good FNG for the polishing and replacement of all the 4 mudflaps (in my case, even the rear panel gets sprayed with mud, though it's definitely much less than at the front

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks