Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2015, 12:36   #136
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Happened to go through this thread and am flooded with sweet memories of my experience with Ikon 1.6. Excellent driver's car. Awesome road grip and pick up. I sold it because of limited availability of spares. Still, regret the sale to this day. Happy driving,all Ikon lovers!
Old 21st February 2022, 15:58   #137
BHPian

Need Advice - 2002 Ford Ikon 1.6

Hi All

I recently purchased a Ford Ikon, its a 2002 1.6 ZXI. It has a failed power window on the left front door.

I was told that the motor has failed, I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get the motor for it serviced? It seems that getting a hold of one is super tough. (Even though pudupet exists). Would it be advisable to go get a salvage power window motor from a scrapped Ikon or would it be better to get them reconditioned?

Also, my Ikon has done 85,000 km and was wondering how much it'd cost for a total suspension overhaul? I am in Chennai and My mechanic said that its better to rejuvinate the suspension.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:40   #138
BHPian

Re: Need Advice - 2002 Ford Ikon 1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDrago56 View Post
Hi All

I recently purchased a Ford Ikon, its a 2002 1.6 ZXI. It has a failed power window on the left front door.

I was told that the motor has failed, I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get the motor for it serviced? It seems that getting a hold of one is super tough. (Even though pudupet exists). Would it be advisable to go get a salvage power window motor from a scrapped Ikon or would it be better to get them reconditioned?

Also, my Ikon has done 85,000 km and was wondering how much it'd cost for a total suspension overhaul? I am in Chennai and My mechanic said that its better to rejuvinate the suspension.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
I think you should get the power window motors reconditioned. A used unit from a scrapped car will come without any guarantee and will be 10+ years old. I had my Ikon’s rear power window motors reconditioned in 2011 and they are still working fine (though a little slow).

A few years back, I had got my suspension replaced. Cost me 18k at a local mechanic with aftermarket parts. However, the car lost its lovely handling characteristics after that, and this led me to get it done again at the authorised Ford dealer for 45k.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 22nd February 2022 at 18:41.
Sanidhya mukund is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 18:48   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was told that the motor has failed, I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can get the motor for it serviced? It seems that getting a hold of one is super tough.
Have you tried checking with ford dealer? Sometimes you will be surprised at what they will be able to find you. Also do check how the window runners and scissor unit that lifts the glass. Ensure those are in good shape before you do anything with the motor.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 19:06   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I think you should get the power window motors reconditioned. A used unit from a scrapped car will come without any guarantee and will be 10+ years old. I had my Ikon’s rear power window motors reconditioned in 2011 and they are still working fine (though a little slow).

A few years back, I had got my suspension replaced. Cost me 18k at a local mechanic with aftermarket parts. However, the car lost its lovely handling characteristics after that, and this led me to get it done again at the authorised Ford dealer for 45k.
Hey Sanidhya

I think that would be better, but I don't know where I can get them reconditioned... Are there any leads? Or any specific type of mechanic I need to approach?

As for suspension, I think you maybe right to go to the Ford Dealer, but them leaving india, will their Service centers still function? That has been a thing that's been confusing me for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried checking with ford dealer? Sometimes you will be surprised at what they will be able to find you. Also do check how the window runners and scissor unit that lifts the glass. Ensure those are in good shape before you do anything with the motor.
Hi Jaggu

I have been considering doing that, I think I am going to go for a second opinion and maybe pay a visit to the Ford Dealer. But I'm also looking for reliable independent mechanics as well.
IronDrago56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 22:26   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sanidhya

I think that would be better, but I don't know where I can get them reconditioned... Are there any leads? Or any specific type of mechanic I need to approach?

As for suspension, I think you maybe right to go to the Ford Dealer, but them leaving india, will their Service centers still function? That has been a thing that's been confusing me.
Sorry, I’m not really aware of garages in Chennai, but you can check the Team-BHP directory, I am sure you’ll be able to find good ones there.

As for Ford, they have only stopped manufacturing and selling cars here, but their service centres will still remain operative. They apparently also have plans of introducing imported models, just that they won’t be locally manufacturing any more.
Sanidhya mukund is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 05:59   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
Sorry, I’m not really aware of garages in Chennai, but you can check the Team-BHP directory, I am sure you’ll be able to find good ones there.

As for Ford, they have only stopped manufacturing and selling cars here, but their service centres will still remain operative. They apparently also have plans of introducing imported models, just that they won’t be locally manufacturing any more.
Sure No worries, thanks for the input! And thats good that they still uphold their promise of continuing after sales support.
IronDrago56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 21:17   #143
BHPian

Need some input.

I have an 02 Ford ikon 1.6 ZXI, I take the car for a drive out and after about 15-20 minutes of driving and in heavy traffic, my Temp guage goes above half.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? It is worrying me because it is going near the red zone, but it stays there consistently and the Engine is showing no signs of heating.

Also to note, when I run the A/C, the chilling stops for a bit and then after a few minutes it turns on. Is this Normal as well?

any input would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-20220301_205532.jpg  

Old 1st March 2022, 21:34   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need some input.

I have an 02 Ford ikon 1.6 ZXI, I take the car for a drive out and after about 15-20 minutes of driving and in heavy traffic, my Temp guage goes above half.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? It is worrying me because it is going near the red zone, but it stays there consistently and the Engine is showing no signs of heating.

Also to note, when I run the A/C, the chilling stops for a bit and then after a few minutes it turns on. Is this Normal as well?
Can you hear the radiator fan coming on and cutting off - esp when you turn on the a/c.
Old 1st March 2022, 21:49   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Can you hear the radiator fan coming on and cutting off - esp when you turn on the a/c.
I can hear a fan on when I turn off the AC. Then that also cuts off after a bit of idling with the AC Off. Also when I drive, I can hear clicking noises in the internal fuse box.
Old 1st March 2022, 22:43   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Engine is showing no signs of heating.

any input would be great.
1. Please clarify on what you mean by showing now signs of heating? Isn't the temp gauge a sign of heating?

2. The AC cuts out based on the set temperature, so that is normal. Also, the AC stops when engine overheats. Both of these are expected behavior.

Based on my experience with the ikon 1.6, anything above above a little bit over the halfway mark is dangerous. ie, the normal resting position of the warmed up car, is slightly over the halfway mark. if it is 3/4 of the way over the gauge, it is overheating. If it is in red zone, please stop. Check engine coolant levels.

Can you please check engine coolant levels in the coolant expansion tank?
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 02:04   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
1. Please clarify on what you mean by showing now signs of heating? Isn't the temp gauge a sign of heating?

2. The AC cuts out based on the set temperature, so that is normal. Also, the AC stops when engine overheats. Both of these are expected behavior.

Based on my experience with the ikon 1.6, anything above above a little bit over the halfway mark is dangerous. ie, the normal resting position of the warmed up car, is slightly over the halfway mark. if it is 3/4 of the way over the gauge, it is overheating. If it is in red zone, please stop. Check engine coolant levels.

Can you please check engine coolant levels in the coolant expansion tank?
By overheating, I mean signs of if it stalling and lack of power, black smoke, steam from the engine etc. None of that is happening.

I also checked coolant levels, it is near the top mark. I had it topped up a few days ago. The SA from expert spanners says it is Normal, but I'm not to sure. His resistence for not looking at it a bit uncanny.

But the thing is, when it goes to that position, it stays there. When I turn the car off, the guage sometimes returns to the half position.

Last edited by IronDrago56 : 2nd March 2022 at 02:06. Reason: Added a bit more information.
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:14   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can hear a fan on when I turn off the AC. Then that also cuts off after a bit of idling with the AC Off. Also when I drive, I can hear clicking noises in the internal fuse box.
It should be the other way round. The radiator fan will spin up and down when a certain temperature is crossed, even without the aircon engaged. With the Aircon engaged, it should stay on. It never goes off on the Ikon.

Clicking noises are normal. Those are relays activating respective electrical functions. You hear this noise even when operating the wiper in intermittent mode.

Quote:
By overheating, I mean signs of if it stalling and lack of power, black smoke, steam from the engine etc. None of that is happening. But the thing is, when it goes to that position, it stays there. When I turn the car off, the guage sometimes returns to the half position.
When you start the car in the morning, is the temperature gauge resting at the C mark?

The level its indicating is not normal for the Ikon. It should stay around the half way mark or maybe just over half way when its very hot outside and won't budge beyond that.

Either your temperature sensor has packed up sending a wrong signal to the cluster or the engine is operating at a higher than acceptable temperature. Perhaps the radiator fan is kicking in too late causing the temperature to rise.

When the temperature is at this level, you should check the expansion tank for signs of the coolant boiling. Don't open the cap. Visually inspect.

The car won't spew black smoke or show signs of loss of power at this stage. For that it needs to get closer to red and then it starts steaming right where the bonnet meets the drivers side of the windscreen. I've experienced this on my Ikon when the radiator fan was not working.

You'll need to inspect via an OBD scanner what the actual temperature is or drop a probe in the expansion tank. The latter is not so easy to do as the coolant will be hot.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd March 2022 at 10:17.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2022, 10:25   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It should be the other way round. The radiator fan will spin up and down when a certain temperature is crossed, even without the aircon engaged. With the Aircon engaged, it should stay on. It never goes off on the Ikon.

Clicking noises are normal. Those are relays activating respective electrical functions. You hear this noise even when operating the wiper in intermittent mode.

When you start the car in the morning, is the temperature gauge resting at the C mark?

The level its indicating is not normal for the Ikon. It should stay around the half way mark or maybe just over half way when its very hot outside and won't budge beyond that.

Either your temperature sensor has packed up sending a wrong signal to the cluster or the engine is operating at a higher than acceptable temperature. Perhaps the radiator fan is kicking in too late causing the temperature to rise.

When the temperature is at this level, you should check the expansion tank for signs of the coolant boiling. Don't open the cap. Visually inspect.

The car won't spew black smoke or show signs of loss of power at this stage. For that it needs to get closer to red and then it starts steaming right where the bonnet meets the drivers side of the windscreen. I've experienced this on my Ikon when the radiator fan was not working.

You'll need to inspect via an OBD scanner what the actual temperature is or drop a probe in the expansion tank. The latter is not so easy to do as the coolant will be hot.

I was actually thinking about the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor) as well, because with the AC Turned off the fan does turn on and off by a few seconds.

And when I start the car in the mornings, It is on C and in the mornings, the Temperature does not go above half. I just took the car out this morning and drove 35km and the temp gauge is steady at the half way mark.

I checked the expansion tank as well, and the coolant levels are steady with no signs of boiling.

I'm at a garage getting the fuel pump issue sorted as I mentioned in this thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...p-problem.html (Ford Ikon - Fuel Pump problem)

So once I've sorted that issue out I'll also have Mr. Murgan (the Mechanic at SMK Automobiles) check this problem out.
Old 2nd March 2022, 18:44   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By overheating, I mean signs of if it stalling and lack of power, black smoke, steam from the engine etc. None of that is happening.
You need to catch the overheating issues before these symptoms that you have mentioned. By the time these symptoms are seen, the damage is already done.

The radiator cap keeps adds pressure to the water in the cooling system, so that the water does not boil and keeps the water at around 90C. If the water has started boiling, then the cooling system is not holding pressure or engine is running too hot.

If it overheats, you can just turn the ac temp to hot and use the blower at full speed. What it does is, it will circulate the engine coolant to another radiator inside the dash and the blower motor will move the hot air out of the ac vents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks