Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2010, 14:50   #31
BHPian

Damu, Great review. I am a proud Owner of a Ford Ikon too and I can vouch for every sentence you have written.

I could relate your write up with mine including this. My story is same like the Figo ad if you have seen. My wifey hates my love towards the car to the core. She tells I am too possessive. In the last 18 months of my marriage we have arguments only about the car. I cant tolerate when the doors are being banged to close and roughly using any switches in the car even by mistake.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:17   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Damu,.. I clocked around 96K KMs in 5 years before I sold it off last May 2009 for something more special.
I still do miss the Ikon.
Hi Anachronix,

I thought the "something special" would have had to be a Beemer or Audi, but I have just read your thread and it's the 1.6S isn't it? Has your problem been resolved? The thread ended suddenly?
As you also owned an Ikon 1.6, I will surely value your advice if I go in for a 1.6S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Damu, I own a 1.6S and it's still available.After driving an Ikon, the only logical upgrade is a Fiesta 1.6. Any questions on the 1.6S, don't hesitate to ask.
I loved your report.
Hi Gilead!

I have been reading your interesting thread on the 1.6S and I will write in on that thread as I do have questions! Thanks!

BTW, after going through the various 1.6S threads, I notice a good number of the 'S' owners are in Chennai. Hmm..interesting stat. Better roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
I was not referring to the end can but the mid can which is between the catalytic converter and the end can..just in case this gets rusted, which in my case got rusted first, it is advisable to get a new one.
Hi Zen,

Fortunately the leak was after. But I'll keep this warning in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Damu, Great review. I am a proud Owner of a Ford Ikon too and I can vouch for every sentence you have written.
My wifey hates my love towards the car to the core. She tells I am too possessive...
Hi Fordy,

Thanks! Good to know Ikon fans here in Bangalore.
And now, this is a "how to keep your marriage smooth" tip from a veteran Trust me! - Does your wife drive? Take her to a long empty straight, give her the Ikon and tell her to floor it. After this, she'll understand why you love it so much and she'll likely keep borrowing it from you! (That's how I got my wife hooked on the Ikon, I kid you not).
Old 30th April 2010, 16:44   #33
BHPian

For me, fortunately she doesnt drive. I never encouraged her to drive as I dont want her to handle my babe.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Hi Anachronix,
I thought the "something special" would have had to be a Beemer or Audi, but I have just read your thread and it's the 1.6S isn't it? Has your problem been resolved? The thread ended suddenly?
As you also owned an Ikon 1.6, I will surely value your advice if I go in for a 1.6S.
The 1.6S is still a poor man's Beemer and its something special

All the problems in my car has been sorted! Having a more peaceful time with her now!
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Damu, and your car really looks beautiful inspite of all these years.

One of my uncles has a 1.6 Ikon from 2000, and since the uncle is away for some months, I'm having a blast driving the Ikon. Its a superb handler and the pickup is awesome, especially considering that shes a decade old and has clocked about 99k kms.

Few niggling issues though
1) Rusted silencer tip
2) Jerking in 2nd and 3rd gears at times
3) Low rear visibility
4) Bad headlights in the face of oncoming traffic

But the car is so damn good otherwise that I'm thinking of buying the car once my uncle's back and doing a full overhaul of this baby.
Old 3rd May 2010, 14:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shaz, Thanks. That part about struts is interesting - I didn't know about this. Any further info on this mod?
Its a straight fit.. I got it changed at Metro ford in bangalore..I dont remember the price. But it sure is stiffer than the struts meant for petrol.. I can now sail over small speed breakers and pot holes. steering response is a tad sharper after going for the stiffer diesel ones.
Old 4th May 2010, 08:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The 1.6S is still a poor man's Beemer and its something special

All the problems in my car has been sorted! Having a more peaceful time with her now!
I agree with that description - "poor man's Beemer"! To get Beemer type performance in a sub 10 lakh bracket seems to be Ford's forte.

Glad your problems were sorted out!

Hope to read updates and see pix on your 1.6S in your thread, please update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Excellent review Damu, and your car really looks beautiful inspite of all these years.

One of my uncles has a 1.6 Ikon from 2000, and since the uncle is away for some months, I'm having a blast driving the Ikon. Its a superb handler and the pickup is awesome, especially considering that shes a decade old and has clocked about 99k kms.

Few niggling issues though
1) Rusted silencer tip
2) Jerking in 2nd and 3rd gears at times
3) Low rear visibility
4) Bad headlights in the face of oncoming traffic

But the car is so damn good otherwise that I'm thinking of buying the car once my uncle's back and doing a full overhaul of this baby.
Hi Lalvaz! Thanks for your comments!

Your uncle's car must be well maintained to give good performance even after 10 years and nearly 1 lakh kms. Proves that Ford builds cars to last (at least in India!) and much of the negative impression is just "hearsay".

Regarding the issues, 1 and 2 can be rectified.
#3 well, you just have to live with it. It's the price we pay to own a car with a great butt!
#4, a friend who is the proud owner of a 1.6 SXI told me he has installed HID lamps in his car. I haven't seen them yet though.

I would say your uncle's 10 year Ikon is worth buying as you know the history of the car. Moreover, my experience with Ford over 6 years is that the standard of service is slowly but steadily improving. Some spares are also cheaper now. With the Ikon still selling well in its latest avatar, most parts will not be an issue for many years to come, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Its a straight fit.. I got it changed at Metro ford in bangalore..I dont remember the price. But it sure is stiffer than the struts meant for petrol.. I can now sail over small speed breakers and pot holes. steering response is a tad sharper after going for the stiffer diesel ones.
Shaz, thanks for this tip, I am interested to do the change too. An improvement in an already superb steering is something! I will talk to the SA at Metro Ford Lingarajpuram about this. Thanks again!
Old 16th May 2010, 20:36   #38
BHPian

I have a 1.3 CLXi, one with no power steering, no power windows, and after 10 years and 1.1 lakh km, I had to sell it to my neighbour in Goa since RTO and traffic police in Pune were making my life hell with my GA plates... anyway, I also needed the parking space for my Endy.

But now I am terribly missing her, my friends hate me for having sold her and my daughter has stopped talking to me (since she had come home to Pune from Goa in her as a baby, and didnt want me to sell her). In short, I need her back!
Old 30th May 2010, 23:33   #39
BHPian

New pics 30th May 2010

(Moderator, kindly edit the title adding "Pics added", thanks!)

It is a month since I wrote my review and I had uploaded old photos. This afternoon I took some pics and am uploading them here. Will take some better pics later, these are not too good.

First: our family garage. This Esteem was bought by my wife from her colleague and she then (under the terms of some dubious mother-son bilateral agreement) sold it our elder son! he claims to have paid, she claims not to have received!
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-family-garage.jpg

This is the 3rd vehicle in our family, it's our younger son's Yamaha FZ16. I like riding bikes and occasionally take his bike. When he lovingly offers me his bike, it means it has no gas and it will be my duty to top up the tank!
As you can infer, we all like sporty vehicles!
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-yamaha.jpg

My lady, up close.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-front.jpg

After 6 years, the velour finish on the seats haven't worn or faded. Good quality stuff here. The velour is very comfortable. I also have cotton seat covers (Ford branded) that has been on and off and must have helped keep the seats good.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-velour-seats.jpg

This badge shows its age.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-ikon-badge.jpg

My son borrowed my car to college and some rascal stole the 1.6 badge. I read in the newspapers that this is a common racket. Bought a new 1.6 badge from Ford for Rs. 70.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-badge.jpg

The badges may have discoloured with age, but not the body paint. The car still gleams and the glass looks like new, except the windshield which does show a little age.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-paint-finish.jpg

I've never felt the rear leg room to be less. Even on long drives (up to 650 kms a day), we've been comfortable. And my younger fellow is nearly 6'2". Here too, the velour has held up well. No tears or fading.
Note the accessory on the rear of the front passenger seat. most useful gadget to have.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-rear-leg-room.jpg

This is perhaps the most useful accessory I've ever bought. Brand "Case Logic", it carries virtually anything one needs on long distance drives. Mobiles, chargers, P&S cameras, tetra packs, small soft drinks or water bottles, magazines, etc. etc. With this I don't need to use the built-in seat pockets which of course helps preserve those!
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-case-logic-detail.jpg

My model came with a ICE that had no Mp3 player, so I bought a Pioneer HU. 12 CD changer in the boot. Bought two Pioneer tweeters so it's a 6 speaker set up. I looked for decent audio quality - I don't want anything more powerful or sophisticated.
(OT-by the setting of the AC control you can infer that the weather was very cool last night, two showers and the temperature dropped significantly!).
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-pioneer-ice.jpg

The tweeters (both sides) were fixed to the windshield but both fell off last year. Hot Tracks, the people who installed it first now have fixed them with a bracket to the sun visor.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-tweeter.jpg

The Ikon's steering wheel stock is heavenly, wrapped in leather it's even better. As I wrote in my review, the wrinkling actually helps a lot in grip and comfort. Lovely steering wheel, makes one want to drive more and more!
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-steering-wheel.jpg

I love the cabin lights. 6 including the glove box one. I've lost count of how many times I've silently thanked Ford for not scrounging on this. When we travel, it's sometimes dark, and these lights are really useful. Especially the front roof light with its twin spot lamps. I think the Fiesta has the same set up too, am I right?
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-roof-light.jpg

And now the damages :(

First, in 2008, my tryst with the rear of a Scorpio. Bumper to bumper traffic; I had momentarily shifted my eyes to the left ORVM to watch for bikes coming on my left and, wham!, rear ended the Scorp in front which had suddenly braked. Went into the Scorp's tail step. The heavy Scorpio step ploughed through my grill and the right headlamp. Damage appeared massive, but fortunately involved only replacing the grill, grill supports and headlamp assembly. Amazingly, no body damage. The only reminder is this dimple in the bumper.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-front-bumper-damage.jpg

Then, this year's Valentines Day, my dear wife reversed straight into the concrete pillar in our parking. The tail lamp assembly is the new Ikon's. I changed both left and right.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-tail-lamp.jpg

Again, I am amazed that the body suffered no damage. Again here, as in the front, only the bumper bears a small scar.
It is a myth that Ikon are all-round expensive. Minor prangs like these can cost a lot in other cars.
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-tail-damage.jpg

Again this year, my car was valet parked by a restaurant on Indiranagar 100Ft Road, and this was what I saw when we collected the car:
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-damage-left-front.jpg

Well, folks that's today's update.

I been reading other posts where fond owners have named their cars, but that never occurred to me. So she's just "milady".

Good night from both of us!

Cheers!
Damu
Old 31st May 2010, 14:59   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi Damu,
nice updates and ably supported with pics.
My Landlord has a Ikon Flair, done 57k kms in 4 years.Same color as me .
He recently too changed the rear light assembly. He told the old rear light assembly cost Rs.1600 for one and the new one's cost Rs. 900 for a set!!
So he changed the entire set.
How much did you pay for it?
Old 31st May 2010, 18:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Hi Damu, nice updates and ably supported with pics...
He told the old rear light assembly cost Rs.1600 for one and the new one's cost Rs. 900 for a set!!
How much did you pay for it?
Thanks!

Yes he's right, in fact I mentioned this in my original report: some parts of the new Ikon are cheaper than the same parts of the old Ikon and they can be interchanged.

A lil' mix-match and Ikon maintenance just got cheaper

I also paid Rs. 900 for the set. But, I prefer the looks of the old one (which I think costs Rs. 1000 each, not sure). I still have the left one in an unblemished state. I'll pick up a right assembly some time. Now that I consider the Ikon as a classic, I'd like to keep my car original, so I don't mind shelling out the Rs. 1000 for one piece.

Regards
Damu
Old 7th June 2010, 18:30   #42
BHPian

Usefulness of System G

When I bought my Accent in 2002, my then neighbour recommended the use of System G fuel additive. Upon his advice, I started using it and continued the practice with my Ikon. As it happens, Ford also recommends System G in the handbook.

When I shifted to my current residence in November 2008, I was fortunate to find a BP bunk nearby and started filling there. But this guy for some unknown reason does not stock System G, he stocks only the diesel additives. There's no other bunk nearby.

So I started filling Speed under the impression that it contains additive (I read this in some press release a few years ago). I didn't realise immediately, but my engine was sounding and feeling a little rough over the last one year. I stopped revving the engine high (heavy traffic also is a reason).

Last month I found a can of Bardahl Fuel Additive that I had bought and forgotten about. I dumped the contents into the tank at the next fill (I always fill full tank and that was the recommended dose). The engine started jerking and even stalled quite a few times for a week or so. Then after that the difference was making itself felt - the engine was definitely smoother and the jerking and stalling stopped. After a month, it is very significantly better and now she revs freely to the redline. For a couple of days (nights actually) I was taking her upto 5k - 5.5k rpm in first gear just for kicks. (And besides I can't take it up to 5k rpm in 2nd in town traffic - that's way too fast!). It's been a long, long time since I've revved her up like this, I'm loving it!

I have a couple of interesting stories about the effects this has had on our (wife's and self's) driving and will pen them down soon!

Meanwhile, I now realise that the System G was actually doing something positive. Since my local bunk doesn't stock it, I will buy my monthly stock from Metro Ford and start using it again. Any maybe too, I should try another bunk...

Does anyone have any advice to the contrary about System G?

Regards,
Damu
Old 8th June 2010, 08:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Post

Very well written Damu.

It is a great tribute to one of the best Driver cars ever launched in the country.

The report is spot on about the Ghats!!

The car handles the curves like a dream and it is a pleasure driving it here.
I guess no other car would give this satisfaction.

Ikon surely rocks!!

Last edited by arnabchak : 8th June 2010 at 08:34.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:54   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Very well written Damu. It is a great tribute to one of the best Driver cars ever launched in the country. The report is spot on about the Ghats!! The car handles the curves like a dream and it is a pleasure driving it here. I guess no other car would give this satisfaction.

Ikon surely rocks!!
Hi Arnab,

Thanks for the compliment!

It is always a pleasure to share with another appreciative and knowledgeable Ikon owner the joys of driving an Ikon.

Besides its ability to handle curves, it is also a very comfortable vehicle to do long distance.

It rocks alright!

I see your line up is pretty impressive too - Zen, Uno and Ikon - all good drivers cars. Have you posted any reviews on these?

Regards,
Damu
Old 9th June 2010, 00:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have any advice to the contrary about System G?
Damu, I used to add System G to my Ikon, but then I realised it was equivalent to adding some more fuel and that seemed to give the extra mileage. I did feel a better engine response etc, but could never really make out if it was just my mind playing tricks

Same thing happens now with branded petrol. Can't really bet my life that it makes a serious difference.

Interestingly, the other day I went to a Shell pump where Diesel was 4-5 Rs more expensive, and the fellow claimed it was so pure I would keep coming back

Anywayz... the bottom line is, I have no negatives about System G but I wonder if it helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks