Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:13   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

In my Ikon, the temperature needle has never crossed the 1/3rd mark till now. So I am rest assured, it is not meant to cross that level.
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
The high speed has only engaged maybe 2 times in about 10000 kms. Low speed is common in traffic jams. otherwise it is pretty cool.!
How loud is the slow speed fan sound? Discernible?
If the fan runs only at high speed, where do i have to look at?
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:14   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
In my Ikon, the temperature needle has never crossed the 1/3rd mark till now. So I am rest assured, it is not meant to cross that level.
@ Fordmanchau - Is yours a 1.6l rocam engine , then i believe i have found my answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
How loud is the slow speed fan sound? Discernible?
If the fan runs only at high speed, where do i have to look at?
@ramzsys - 2 things you have to look at CTS - coolant temperature sensor which is on the thermostat housing should be around 47Kohms when cold ( test with multi meter) and the coolant fan resistor.

You can check the fan resistor (Rs.1250) this is a 10 minute job, please do not drive without the low speed as it is also the AC condensor fan. The thermostat may cost you the same. You can get the entire housing , thermostat and sensor for about 3k.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:24   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

My car was a little different though. I am not sure if it was due to the age of the car. Every time I sent the car to Ford for regular service which was done once a year (As running was low), I had them replace the coolant.

Was it really necessary to replace the coolant so often? As regards the Fiesta, I remember my service adviser saying that the 'Duratec' models needed a coolant change only at 1 lac Kms on the odo.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 23:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Was it really necessary to replace the coolant so often? As regards the Fiesta, I remember my service adviser saying that the 'Duratec' models needed a coolant change only at 1 lac Kms on the odo.
Pink coolant : one lakh km.
Green : every 20k km or around.
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 08:06   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Was it really necessary to replace the coolant so often?
No. I just did it.

I can't comment on the coolant life cycle in newer generation cars. The manual will give you the most accurate information.

1lac km might be a bit too long for our conditions. I would replace it every 30'000km. Once again, this is just my way of doing it. It may not be required at all.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 10:27   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Fordmanchau - Is yours a 1.6l rocam engine , then i believe i have found my answer.
No!! Mine is a 1.3 ROCAM.
But I believe, the engine charateristics would not alter much for 1.6 and 1.3 or will it ?

Quote:
Pink coolant : one lakh km.
Green : every 20k km or around.
My Ikon has a pink coolant and has not been changed till now. The odo is at 25200km.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:01   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can check the fan resistor (Rs.1250) this is a 10 minute job, please do not drive without the low speed as it is also the AC condensor fan
Wish I had known this. Ford, as usual, got me to replace the entire fan assembly and this set me back a shade over Rs. 7000.

My car was running with its original fan for 11 years. I was the 2nd owner though. The slow speed died one day but I realized it very late. Did a 700km drive with a busted fan but the engine kept its cool.

While at Ford, getting a new fan fixed, its a 20 minute job, I did notice that the old fan had indeed seen its days. When trying to manually rotate the fan blades, it had a jammed feel to it. As in the blades would not rotate freely when you tried to spin it with your hand. I am sure a rewind of the motor could be done as the fan was still functional. You can easily catch a fan unit that is about to pack up as when it does kick in, you will notice a fluctuation in the electrical's (lights would dim momentarily in the console) as its sapping too much power to start up.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:29   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wish I had known this. Ford, as usual, got me to replace the entire fan assembly and this set me back a shade over Rs. 7000.
After 5 years, when you get frequent part failures, better to keep some time to spend with the local mechanic over a cup of tea.
Quote:
You can easily catch a fan unit that is about to pack up as when it does kick in, you will notice a fluctuation in the electrical's (lights would dim momentarily in the console) as its sapping too much power to start up.
Whoa. My fan shows the same sign, and until now i was blaming that low-cost Motorcraft battery.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:39   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After 5 years, when you get frequent part failures, better to keep some time to spend with the local mechanic over a cup of tea.
You are so spot on right about this. I should have done this. In the 2 years I owned the car, I spent over a lac on repairs and its upkeep and then sold it for a loss, obviously. I am sure a good mechanic could have kept costs under check quite easily

Quote:
Whoa. My fan shows the same sign, and until now i was blaming that low-cost Motorcraft battery.
Don't worry too much about this. With the car turned off and in cold condition, try and rotate the fan blade with your hand and check if it rotates freely. If it does there is nothing to worry. If there is resistance, you are jacked:-).

The Motorcraft battery is not great and I won't say it is bad. For a OEM battery, it is very good. Worked without a hitch for 2 years and showed no sign of fade. The new owner of my car has not complained too. For Rs. 2000, it is a excellent battery.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th February 2012 at 15:40.
Old 24th February 2012, 22:11   #116
BHPian

Quote:
You are so spot on right about this. I should have done this. In the 2 years I owned the car, I spent over a lac on repairs and its upkeep and then sold it for a loss, obviously. I am sure a good mechanic could have kept costs under check quite easily

Don't worry too much about this. With the car turned off and in cold condition, try and rotate the fan blade with your hand and check if it rotates freely. If it does there is nothing to worry. If there is resistance, you are jacked:-).

The Motorcraft battery is not great and I won't say it is bad. For a OEM battery, it is very good. Worked without a hitch for 2 years and showed no sign of fade. The new owner of my car has not complained too. For Rs. 2000, it is a excellent battery.
Guys, the fan motor is about 800 to 1000 rupees, 10 minute job again. The entire unit cannot go wrong. 800 - local 1000 - imported and more RPM for same voltage so more CFM. Agreed local Mech would be the best. Ford would like it always does make your wallet a tad lighter.
Old 25th February 2012, 00:24   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
No!! Mine is a 1.3 ROCAM.
But I believe, the engine charateristics would not alter much for 1.6 and 1.3 or will it ?

My Ikon has a pink coolant and has not been changed till now. The odo is at 25200km.
The 1.3 and 1.6 is vastly different in terms of gauges , but the engine design is the same. I have the pink coolant too. Pink is an OAT based coolant which is much better
Old 29th February 2012, 18:09   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, the fan motor is about 800 to 1000 rupees, 10 minute job again.
Where exactly is the fan slow speed resistor? I can see wiring from the fan relay going into the fan through a socket, it is 2 wired.

Thanks, in advance.
Old 29th February 2012, 22:15   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Where exactly is the fan slow speed resistor? I can see wiring from the fan relay going into the fan through a socket, it is 2 wired.

Thanks, in advance.
This is connector at the bottom left of the fan shroud. 3 wires, it plugs into a resistor. or the bottom most connector. This is an easy fix for DIY as well.(thin hands required). I attached the exact part picture. Mods - hope this is ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-140.jpg  

Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 10:35   #120
Senior - BHPian

Managed to spot that resistor block. All this time i was wondering why 2 set of power lines goes into that radiator fan!

PS:Reference pic from that of fiesta
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-image0169.jpg  

Last edited by ramzsys : 12th March 2012 at 10:37.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks