Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 16:38   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
This is connector at the bottom left of the fan shroud. 3 wires, it plugs into a resistor. or the bottom most connector.
Catalyst, i went to Ukkadam market for the resistor(just to check) and that resistor also did not start the slow speed when Ac was switched on. Then i managed to get a scrap fan's relay. When i used that, the slow speed fan started with the Ac. The dealer 'asked' Rs.1000 for it. I thought why not buy a new one, so came back. Is the relay available in auto stores or only with ford?

Last edited by ramzsys : 17th March 2012 at 16:41.
Old 18th March 2012, 06:26   #122
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Catalyst, i went to Ukkadam market for the resistor(just to check) and that resistor also did not start the slow speed when Ac was switched on. Then i managed to get a scrap fan's relay. When i used that, the slow speed fan started with the Ac. The dealer 'asked' Rs.1000 for it. I thought why not buy a new one, so came back. Is the relay available in auto stores or only with ford?

yes try in alagendra auto ghandipuram, I am from CBE but been some time. The part is the same till 2007 ford ikon so you can try A.S.S. new cost in indirapuram ghaziabad is 1250 INR
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 21:04   #123
BHPian

Cross posting from another thread, where I didnt get any replies..

So I have on my radar an Ikon 1.6nxt (dec 2004), I am yet to see the car in detail, had a look from outside the car as the owner was not home when I dropped in..I have some observations and questions...

1. Front left fog-lamp missing (there is just a hole in the bumper now that is)
2. The driver seat is torn with the sponge all visible (it think its the stock seat with no cover...the seats were black )
3. The tyres are pirelli p400 Aquamile 175/65 R14. Is it the stock size? If not, is it a correct fit?? The condition of tyres seems fine.
4. Is the 2004 Ford ikon 1.6nxt fitted with a rocam engine or not?

Ford Ikon lovers/owners please comment. Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 08:21   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
So I have on my radar an Ikon 1.6nxt (dec 2004)..I have some observations and questions...
I'll try to answer your queries:

Quote:
1. Front left fog-lamp missing (there is just a hole in the bumper now that is)
Should be available. 2004 Ikons came with imported fogs (and headlamps) that were expensive, but later on parts were localised and became half the cost. For example, the rear lamp cluster which I replaced in my Ikon dropped 50% in price.

Quote:
2. The driver seat is torn with the sponge all visible (it think its the stock seat with no cover...the seats were black )
I guess this can be fixed by a good upholsterer. But if you're serious about buying, check on getting an original Ikon seat. Ikon seats are very good.

Quote:
3. The tyres are pirelli p400 Aquamile 175/65 R14. Is it the stock size? If not, is it a correct fit?? The condition of tyres seems fine.
Sorry, I don't remember the tyre size, but 14" wheel dia is right. (The Flair and 1.3 had 13" if I am right).

Quote:
4. Is the 2004 Ford ikon 1.6nxt fitted with a rocam engine or not?
Yes.

If you're thinking of buying, I would advise you to get it checked at a Ford ASC. BTW, any idea what is the odo reading?

Hope the above helps! Good luck!
Damu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 09:12   #125
BHPian

Actually I went ahead and bought it for 70k. Admittedly Its not a car in good condition, and I have given it for service at a bosch service centre.

The odo reads 64k (it maybe even 1.64, since the odo has only 5 digits I guess).

Now the Bosch guys have replaced some parts, and none of them are ford original, as they are saying it's not available in the market. However, they assured that these parts are the best available, so gave the go ahead.

The major problem with the car was a shot silencer and they replaced the parts for 4k.

Now the major concern is the engine noise according to them. I know that 1.6 rocams are really really loud, but they are saying the engine might be having some serious issue. I dont entirely believe them since they might have no experience with this motor. So my question is, s the engine that loud, and is it normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post

If you're thinking of buying, I would advise you to get it checked at a Ford ASC. BTW, any idea what is the odo reading?

Hope the above helps! Good luck!
Old 19th August 2012, 07:41   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I went ahead and bought it for 70k. Admittedly Its not a car in good condition, and I have given it for service at a bosch service centre.

The odo reads 64k (it maybe even 1.64, since the odo has only 5 digits I guess).

Now the Bosch guys have replaced some parts, and none of them are ford original, as they are saying it's not available in the market. However, they assured that these parts are the best available, so gave the go ahead.

The major problem with the car was a shot silencer and they replaced the parts for 4k.

Now the major concern is the engine noise according to them. I know that 1.6 rocams are really really loud, but they are saying the engine might be having some serious issue. I dont entirely believe them since they might have no experience with this motor. So my question is, s the engine that loud, and is it normal?
Yes Ikon Engines are are louder than the usual engines around due to Chain cam and 8 valves and hydraulic lifters. Not all cars with this setup is loud but due to cost cutting at the Brazil plant it became real loud. As long as there are no bearing noises you are good. Source - Driving a 1.6 ZXI daily driver
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 10:23   #127
BHPian

Thanks. The engine turned out to have some problems, the sleeve had worn off a the ends, one connecting rod bearing was also worn out.

Had to do an engine rebuild with new pistons, sleeves, even the crankshaft had to be replaced. The engine is still loud, but seems normal to me. There are still some problems with the car. Thinking of taking it to the A S S to get it solved. By the way, the work has been carried out by Hiruchi motors, a Bosch service centre here in vadodara. I guess I will start my own thread with my (not so good till now) ownership experiences sometime soon!

Quote:
Yes Ikon Engines are are louder than the usual engines around due to Chain cam and 8 valves and hydraulic lifters. Not all cars with this setup is loud but due to cost cutting at the Brazil plant it became real loud. As long as there are no bearing noises you are good. Source - Driving a 1.6 ZXI daily driver
Old 19th August 2012, 21:18   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. The engine turned out to have some problems, the sleeve had worn off a the ends, one connecting rod bearing was also worn out.

Had to do an engine rebuild with new pistons, sleeves, even the crankshaft had to be replaced. The engine is still loud, but seems normal to me. There are still some problems with the car. Thinking of taking it to the A S S to get it solved. By the way, the work has been carried out by Hiruchi motors, a Bosch service centre here in vadodara. I guess I will start my own thread with my (not so good till now) ownership experiences sometime soon!

How much did the rebuild come to? How much had your engine run? The Rocam is quite a tough engine. I can fix the icon especially as I have taken special interest in this car. Please do start your thread or maybe an ikon thread.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:40   #129
BHPian

Since I also did some other work unrelated to the engine rebuild, I cant give you exact figures, but it is definitely in the region of 30-35k. Is it fine?

This car seems to be a money pit . But the torque in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear is very good, especially in the city, where you can zoom past vehicles (costlier ones at that) with ease!

The car still seems unfinished, I have to fix some things:

1. The tyres, which I thought were 'fine' , have sidewall cracks on two of them! I had to resort to putting a tube in one of them for the time being! If I indeed go for a tyre change, what would you recommend?

I need Low road Noise (the road noise replicates an aircraft noise after 90kmph), low wear, comfort and low cost

2. The suspension needs some attending to. It creaks on bad roads, and on the highway, there is some sway at high speeds. What would be the cost of a suspension overhaul and should I do it at the Ford ASC only?

3. Finally, the bodywork needs to be mended, there are small dents, scratches etc. Curiously, the gap between the bonnet and the headlamps/grille is too much and is not symmetrical. I think the car was involved in some frontal impact before.

Quote:
How much did the rebuild come to? How much had your engine run? The Rocam is quite a tough engine. I can fix the icon especially as I have taken special interest in this car. Please do start your thread or maybe an ikon thread.
Old 26th August 2012, 12:06   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Since I also did some other work unrelated to the engine rebuild, I cant give you exact figures, but it is definitely in the region of 30-35k. Is it fine?

This car seems to be a money pit . But the torque in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th gear is very good, especially in the city, where you can zoom past vehicles (costlier ones at that) with ease!

The car still seems unfinished, I have to fix some things:

1. The tyres, which I thought were 'fine' , have sidewall cracks on two of them! I had to resort to putting a tube in one of them for the time being! If I indeed go for a tyre change, what would you recommend?

I need Low road Noise (the road noise replicates an aircraft noise after 90kmph), low wear, comfort and low cost

2. The suspension needs some attending to. It creaks on bad roads, and on the highway, there is some sway at high speeds. What would be the cost of a suspension overhaul and should I do it at the Ford ASC only?

3. Finally, the bodywork needs to be mended, there are small dents, scratches etc. Curiously, the gap between the bonnet and the headlamps/grille is too much and is not symmetrical. I think the car was involved in some frontal impact before.
Road Noise - Renew Lower arms and Tie rods and wheel bearing <Back suspension> Suspension arm bushing Total Cost at Kashmere gate delhi 12k. A.S.S - Dont have the guts to try.

Aircraft Noise - Check if the resonance box and airfilter are fitted tight. Most of the ikons i repair do not have a resonance box fitted.

Tyres - have to get new ones , cracked tyres can burst anytime,
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:06   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

Hi , I have attached the Antenna manual from the workshop manual. This is with reference to your PM . I could not attach it in the PM.
Attached Files
File Type: docx antenna.docx (156.0 KB, 365 views)
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:55   #132
BHPian

Hi mates I have bought a ford ikon 1.6 nxt 2004 model done just 18k which is like brand new yesterday.
This is my 13th car in last 8 years but first time trying a ford.
Let me see how it goes. Are the ford fans still active here?
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hi mates I have bought a ford ikon 1.6 nxt 2004 model done just 18k which is like brand new yesterday.
Are you sure about the mileage? You can check it with tyre condition and service bills(A visit to ford ASC) .

And if you don't mind saying, what was the price you paid?
Old 23rd June 2013, 16:56   #134
BHPian

Yes all 5 tyres have feb 2004 stamp and still good thread is there.
Interiors are like brand new and also the engine feel is very good.
Even the plastic covers come in new car and the first aid kit and other stuff s are there intact.
I got it from a trusted source and it was checked by technicians of a famous certified used car showroom.
Write to me for more details - pushmeamail@gmail.com
Regards
Old 9th March 2015, 21:40   #135
BHPian

I am having coolant problems in my ford ikon 1.6 the coolant turned from red to brown, do you have solution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks