Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 09:13   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
I wish they hadn't dropped the reading lights, that is a very useful feature on my Ikon.
Damu, check my Ikon thread ..

Quote:
Does that mean there's no 12v charging point?
Most cars have atleast one socket, and some a second one. But lighter may not be provided. Some cars dont have even the single socket - have seen guys trying to add the socket.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:11   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Most cars have atleast one socket, and some a second one. But lighter may not be provided. Some cars dont have even the single socket - have seen guys trying to add the socket.
12V socket is a standard on the Ikon, but not on the Santro. I tried to connect my FM transmitter on my friend's Santro and was surprised to see it didnt come with a 12v output as standard.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Damu, check my Ikon thread ..

Condor, here are a couple of snaps of the rear lamps and the glove box lamp:

Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-dscn0633.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-dscn0632.jpg

Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms-dscn0630.jpg
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was seriously considering this if I don't upgrade my car soon.
Still waiting for your offer. Please let me know if you are not selling.
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:18   #65
BHPian

Folks, the event happened yesterday... I upgraded to the Fiesta 1.6 S! Keeping the beloved Ikon in the family though, my son wants it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1993117

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Still waiting for your offer. Please let me know if you are not selling.
Sandy, truly sorry, there's no one I know who'd have taken better care of it than you, but never mind, you still can get to drive it as it stays with your friend!

Do you recall the first time you drove it when we returned from Coimbatore in 2006? I think that's when you fell for the Ikon, yes? Happy memories, I remember that day so well with the Ikon loaded to the brim with my speakers and hi-fi gear!
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:26   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks, the event happened yesterday... I upgraded to the Fiesta 1.6 S! Keeping the beloved Ikon in the family though, my son wants it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1993117
Thats great news, Damu! So, you are another one to the list of members who have upgraded from an Ikon to the Fiesta, which is a very logical upgrade.

Since the car would still remain in the family, you'd still get to drive it, and rekindle some of the old flames.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:01   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Thats great news, Damu! So, you are another one to the list of members who have upgraded from an Ikon to the Fiesta, which is a very logical upgrade.
Since the car would still remain in the family, you'd still get to drive it, and rekindle some of the old flames.
Thanks brother Ben!

You know Ben, if I had some spare cash (like a couple of lakhs ) the S would have had competition - in the form of the mHawk Scorpio! I drove this to Goa and man, was I impressed!

Takes a lot to impress an Ikon owner, so that's really saying something about the mHawk.
Old 26th July 2010, 08:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you recall the first time you drove it when we returned from Coimbatore in 2006? I think that's when you fell for the Ikon, yes?
Yes. I cannot forget that day. I refused to give you the wheel after I took over cause I was enjoying the car so much. There has not been a single car is the same price bracket that has given me so much enjoyment. I love the steering, the engine response, the overall handling and the interiors are top notch on your car.
Old 31st July 2010, 08:21   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
...There has not been a single car is the same price bracket that has given me so much enjoyment. I love the steering, the engine response, the overall handling and the interiors are top notch on your car.
You put the USP of the Ford design in a nutshell! The reason why I went for a Ford again...

And, add one more point, longevity: after 6 1/2 years and now 75k kms, not a rattle, squeak, or groan from any part of the body or chassis/suspension!

Except the indicator which sometimes doesn't return to neutral, every switch still works as it did 6 years ago.
Old 14th August 2010, 08:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

A quick query to Damu and other Ikon lovers, my temperature gauge (petrol, 1.3 ltr engine) shows just a little higher than the centre position (the coolant level is OK).

Is this normal ? Thanks
Old 14th August 2010, 23:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
A quick query to Damu and other Ikon lovers, my temperature gauge (petrol, 1.3 ltr engine) shows just a little higher than the centre position (the coolant level is OK).

Is this normal ? Thanks
Mooza, i read in the other thread, that yours is a 1.3(endura) engine. Can't comment due to my limited knowledge but in my Ikon flair 1.3 Rocam, the temp needle is just a notch to the left of the centre position, and it's always like that after the car gets running.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:44   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

Is this normal ? Thanks
Hi Mooza,

Sorry for late response, was out of town.

Generally speaking, as long as it is within the marked "normal" operating range, then it's okay. This is what the manual says too.

But what is important is if the position is different from normal. Does the fan work more now?

If the needle has changed noticeably from its usual position, which you will know, then it would mean there is some problem. Also whether it remains in the upper side if you drive on a empty stretch.

I recommend that you get the car checked. Could be something like some plastic bag stuck on the radiator preventing proper cooling.

Hope it's solved soon.
Old 15th August 2010, 13:15   #73
Senior - BHPian

@Damu and Fordmanchau, thanks for the feedback.

The car is actually performing fine, especially after the ignition coil replacement a couple of days ago (sorry for not informing this in my earlier post !). I was told by the service centre that one of the cylinders was not firing properly all these days due to this problem.

I honestly do not remember the exact position of the temperature gauge earlier, as my wife drives the car on all days.

Maybe since all 4 cylinders are really firing good now, the temperature gauge is showing a slightly warmer engine compared to the earlier days. Anyway, let me keep the temperature gauge under close observation, to see the trend
Old 19th August 2010, 08:22   #74
Senior - BHPian

The temperature gauge is something you must keep an eye out for in this car. My car has never suffered from any over heating but the temperature gauge almost always crosses the half mark and then just stays there even on a cool day. Its weird but my engine runs cooler by gauge readings on warmer days. I always place my hand on the bonnet after a drive just to see if there is a lot of heat transmitted to the bonnet lid and it is always cold.

I had one panic situation when the temperature gauge went well over the half mark and was closing on the danger zone but again no over heating. At this point the radiator fan kicked in into 2nd speed and shut down once the car started moving at decent pace. This happend at the usual stop and go Krishnarajapuram traffic jam. It really scared me cause the last thing you want is a steaming car in the middle of a traffic jam.

I went to Ford just to have them check the cooling systems and everything is pefect. Another indication that the car is not really over heating is there is absolutely no drop in coolant level in 9 months. This however is something that should not be ignored. An engine that does not sip ANY coolant is also an indication of the coolant not reaching the narrow coolant passages in the engine block due to a block. This happened on my friends old Endura 1.3 engine but the mistake was entirely his. His kept topping up the radiator with ground water which eventually blocked all the coolant passages in the engine block and the car steamed. The repairs cost him a massive Rs. 25000.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:47   #75
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sandeep, that was a useful post, especially regarding the coolant part

So far there are no problems after the coil replacement, but we are yet to do a long drive. So will keep a look on the temperature.

Most Viewed