Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 21:07   #136
BHPian

Bumper guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The car looks amazing!Chunky is the word that comes to my mind.
Yes the front bumper strips do look a bit out of place,although the side mouldings compliment the car.
Also after the monsoons you could remove the rear mudflaps,Polo looks much better without them.
The stretch in front of my house is always waterlogged (3-6 inches)... even with a few drops of rain. Thus would possibly need the mudflaps through the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
ditto !
totally agree, the bumper strips are quite a glaring eyesore. Just does'nt do justice to the all red lean-mean lookin front.
Sorry manubhai, Can't help. Please see my logic below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
@nitrous and manubhai - You do not know Kolkata traffic !
I am a co sufferer and thus support the bumper strips however out of place they might look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
There are body colored side strips available in the market. In my opinion, the red strips would go very well on your car. Also, aren't the side strips located too low down on the doors? This way, they may not be able to protect the doors from impact from the adjoining car with the door open.

The bumper strips are a bit of an eye sore. The car looks fabulous overall. Enjoy the ride.
Thank you fuel_addict. Even the moon has spots. So let the bumper strips remain please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You could have put bumper strips closer to the black plastic cladding on the fog light holder. Or you could remove it since it looks odd.
Cant you get the side ones painted.

But the car looks very good and solid. Congrats and enjoy.
Many of you have commented about the bumper guard. Yes it may not be enhancing the looks (which is ofcourse subjective) but it protects you. My experience says that the bumper gets damaged usually while parallel parking in our overcrowded streets. The front and the corners of the bumper gets usually affected. Now for Polo the front is already protected by the number plate. In the corners the location I have placed the guards is the place which gets into contact with the car in front while exiting a parallel park. Thus the bumper guards more of a necessity for me than mere looks.
Image below -
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-front-bumper-01.jpg  

sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 21:23   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm_cruiser View Post
@sadnabrina - Congratulations on the red 1.6 !. The pictures look awesome indeed Am sure the red one pulls like a race horse when you floor it - but then again you would probably have to wait till the run-in happens.

Am sure this is not something that may be fair / logical but here goes - Can anyone comment on a head to head comparo between the i20 CRDi and the Polo 1.6 ?. I know, I know - the Polo has 100+ horses under its hood and is petrol powered, but the i20's torque is addictive - post 1800revs, its a different animal altogether !.

The above question came to my mind before I booked the i20 CRDi (Sportz variant) as opposed to the Polo 1.6 (Had waited for 5+ months for the polo 1.6 - the engine figures looked simply awesome).

Cheers !
Thanks calm_cruiser. Congratulations on your i20.
The main major points I find bewteen the i20 and the Polo 1.6 are -

Polo 1.6
1) Great power and acceleration.
2) Driving comfort - effortless and light steering helps in city, 200 km on the highway was smooth as butter
3) German engineering and build
4) Planted stance
5) Amazing cornering abilities - even better than my Swift with low profile tyres
6) Understated but classy looks

i20
1) Amazing feature list
2) Possibly better FE
3) Flashy looks - lot of people like it, but not me (looks are always subjective)
4) Softer ride - good for our bad roads, not so good for spirited driving
5) Not too sure about this one but I feel the design is slightly damage prone - like the swift. What I mean is, possibly 90% of the swifts in our cities have scratch marks in corners of the front bumper. The i20 seems to have a similar design.

I have only been on a i20 for about 15 minutes during a TD. While I have already covered 700+ kms on my Polo 1.6. The above are my personal views based on that experience and may be completely off. Suggest someone who has driven both for similar period provide a better comparo.
Old 31st August 2010, 21:35   #138
BHPian

Quote:
The pictures suggest red line starts at 6000 RPM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Yes. I was not sure. But I took 6000 to calculate 75%.
I think the redline is around 6250/6300. Though the tacho starts becoming red from 6K, the shade is lighter till around 6300 after which it becomed deep red. GTO in his 1.2 review found the red line for 1.2 at 6200. I think 1.6 is similar.
Old 31st August 2010, 21:41   #139
BHPian

Some images of my Polo 1.6 interiors

Below are some images of my Polo 1.6 interiors. In some of the images I have provided some illustrations.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-01-inside-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-02-front-pax-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-04-rear-seats-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-05-light-switch-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-06-headlight-stalk-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-07-wiper-control-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-08-steering-03-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-09-horn-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-10-gear-shift-01.jpg  

VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-boot-01.jpg  

sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 22:37   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
3) While trying to accelerate fast with the AC on, there is an interesting noise (similar to a diesel engine) coming inside the cabin. It goes away at higher speeds. Need to ask the dealer about it.
You mean when you lug the engine? Hope its not engine knock. There were some issues with the Fabia 1.4.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:38   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
In the corners the location I have placed the guards is the place which gets into contact with the car in front while exiting a parallel park. Thus the bumper guards more of a necessity for me than mere looks.
Image below -
I hope the car in front and behind you also has these bumper guards.

I guess the doubts everyone has are vis-a-vis the 1.2, particularly regarding the power and fuel consumption. Even I don't have a definitive answer till now. Rest everything is at par with the 1.2 Petrol Highline.

I wish someone could get a hold of the Polo 1.2, 1.6 and maybe even the Vento Petrol, test them back to back and then give their objective comments. Until that happens it is very hard to get a relative comparison.
Old 31st August 2010, 22:45   #142
Senior - BHPian

Sadnabrina
Why there are three positions for the headlights mainbeam. Please explain
Old 31st August 2010, 22:56   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
You mean when you lug the engine? Hope its not engine knock. There were some issues with the Fabia 1.4.
I don't think it is knock. The sound comes only when the ac is on. Must be something to do with the compressor. No noise without ac.
Old 31st August 2010, 23:01   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Sadnabrina
Why there are three positions for the headlights mainbeam. Please explain
Are you reffering to the headlight stalk? You pull the stalk towards you to flash high beam. You push it away from you for steady high beam. While the mid position is for low beam. I think most cars have this same setup.
Old 31st August 2010, 23:48   #145
BHPian

The first 3 pictures are excellent and shows that this particular seat cover goes really well with the interiors of Polo. Even though, in the 2nd picture the fit-n-finish of the seat covers could have been better, but overall its a nice match with interiors.

EDIT : The 6th picture of the RHS of steering wheel (wash/wipe control) seems interesting with Trip meter control also included. It looks totally different to TL. Is it only for 1.6 or is it the same with 1.2HL too?

Last edited by AvonA7 : 31st August 2010 at 23:54.
Old 1st September 2010, 00:10   #146
BHPian

Sorry manubhai, Can't help. Please see my logic below.

Thank you fuel_addict. Even the moon has spots. So let the bumper strips remain please.

Can understand Sadnabrina, she still looks the best ! 'even the moon has spots' is a neat perspective Enjoy.
Old 1st September 2010, 08:29   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
The first 3 pictures are excellent and shows that this particular seat cover goes really well with the interiors of Polo. Even though, in the 2nd picture the fit-n-finish of the seat covers could have been better, but overall its a nice match with interiors.

EDIT : The 6th picture of the RHS of steering wheel (wash/wipe control) seems interesting with Trip meter control also included. It looks totally different to TL. Is it only for 1.6 or is it the same with 1.2HL too?
Aa far as I know, it is same in all Polos. It is to control the Multi Information Display.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:53   #148
BHPian

@ Sadnabrina - Loved the interior's pictures. Looks very solid and top notch. I own a Swift and the difference in quality of interiors is palpable even from the pictures you have posted.
I'm sure it must have taken you time to adjust to the indicator/wiper levers being on the opposite side as in the Swift.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:00   #149
Senior - BHPian

Nice interior images. I still think the europeans should make the controls a little bit less complicated and easier to use. They try to load too many things together and make some smaller.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:54   #150
BHPian

Quote:
@ Sadnabrina - Loved the interior's pictures. Looks very solid and top notch. I own a Swift and the difference in quality of interiors is palpable even from the pictures you have posted.I'm sure it must have taken you time to adjust to the indicator/wiper levers being on the opposite side as in the Swift.
Fortunately it did not take much time to switch sides. Focussed effort during the first 30 minutes was enough. Luck was in my favour as it was dark and raining. So was forced to use both the stalks that day. I suggest you keep the windshield and the wiper blades thoroughly clean during the first few days, to avoid any damage from any accidental dry wiper run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Nice interior images. I still think the europeans should make the controls a little bit less complicated and easier to use. They try to load too many things together and make some smaller.
The controls may look complicated at first but the everyday use functions are not complicated at all. Once you get the hang of it you will find them very userfriendly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks