Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 23:01   #121
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Anirban. A Hot Hatch VW has always held a special place in the hearts of enthusiasts, and you've managed to write a wonderful review. Waiting for the ownership thread as it unfolds, as also to check out the beauty in flesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Insurance - 26565
Sorry to disappoint you, but you've been ripped off on the Insurance part! 26.5K for an IDV of 6.16L is simply too much!

25K is what I paid as insurance on my car, on an ex showroom price of 7.95L. In fact 2 years later the IDV is 6.05L, and I've been quoted 13K without even bargaining. A bit of homework would have saved you a lot on insurance.

Quote:
Thanks Planet_rocker. I stay in the saltlake area. What about you?
I stay in Salt Lake too. Can we meet up?

Quote:
The OE tyres are Apollo Acelere 185/60 R15 84 T. The ride is comfortable enough. I have not tried to push much but felt more secure than the 185/65 R14 JKs on the Swift during cornering.
One suggestion. Change the tyres to some H rated tyres (same size) urgently.

As you yourself said, the car has a top speed of about 185kph, while the T rating denotes a safety rating of upto 190 kmph. That means the car is capable of achieving the upper capability envelope of the stock tyres. Might prove dangerous if you do too many highway trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
This will probably the longest week of my life, knowing that my car is waiting in the showroom which is actually walking distance from my house!!
I know the feeling. I was given a 15 day waiting period to get a Verna with ABS and rear discs. When the car finally came in, they asked me to wait 2 more days for the paperwork to get ready. Boy oh boy. I used to drive past the showroom every day staring longingly into it, knowing my beauty was waiting there but they wouldn't let me take her!
Old 28th August 2010, 11:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veels n Rhodes View Post
Many Congrats Sadnabrina !!! Hot looking hatch with Great Engine now !!! Can you please post a picture with complete side profile of the car, I want to see how POLO in red looks with the black mouldings -
I tried to modify existing Polo picture in ms-paint, but the output was not satisfactory.
This is all I have at this point of time, clicked on my cell camera. Will try to capture some more using my dslr later. Let me know how it looks with the side and bumper mouldings.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6 MPI - Ownership Report EDIT: 1,30,000 km up!-image118.jpg  

Old 28th August 2010, 15:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

The side protection strips look nice as in they are completing the look of the car.

The bumper corner strips could have looked better if they were the same width as the side ones. Infact you could have done without them as it is the front portion of the flared wheel arch which will kiss and greet others before they can get to the bumper.
Old 28th August 2010, 16:00   #124
Senior - BHPian

For Gods sake, please remove those bumper strips.
Old 28th August 2010, 17:22   #125
BHPian

Congratulations sadnabrina !

@sadnabrina - Congratulations on the red 1.6 !. The pictures look awesome indeed Am sure the red one pulls like a race horse when you floor it - but then again you would probably have to wait till the run-in happens.

Am sure this is not something that may be fair / logical but here goes - Can anyone comment on a head to head comparo between the i20 CRDi and the Polo 1.6 ?. I know, I know - the Polo has 100+ horses under its hood and is petrol powered, but the i20's torque is addictive - post 1800revs, its a different animal altogether !.

The above question came to my mind before I booked the i20 CRDi (Sportz variant) as opposed to the Polo 1.6 (Had waited for 5+ months for the polo 1.6 - the engine figures looked simply awesome).

Cheers !
Old 28th August 2010, 19:14   #126
Senior - BHPian

The car looks amazing!Chunky is the word that comes to my mind.
Yes the front bumper strips do look a bit out of place,although the side mouldings compliment the car.
Also after the monsoons you could remove the rear mudflaps,Polo looks much better without them.
Old 29th August 2010, 02:04   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
For Gods sake, please remove those bumper strips.
ditto !
totally agree, the bumper strips are quite a glaring eyesore. Just does'nt do justice to the all red lean-mean lookin front.
Old 29th August 2010, 02:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

@nitrous and manubhai - You do not know Kolkata traffic !
I am a co sufferer and thus support the bumper strips however out of place they might look.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:25   #129
BHPian

Quote:
This is all I have at this point of time, clicked on my cell camera. Will try to capture some more using my dslr later. Let me know how it looks with the side and bumper mouldings.
There are body colored side strips available in the market. In my opinion, the red strips would go very well on your car. Also, aren't the side strips located too low down on the doors? This way, they may not be able to protect the doors from impact from the adjoining car with the door open.

The bumper strips are a bit of an eye sore. The car looks fabulous overall. Enjoy the ride.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are 2 schools of thought here one of them thinks that stretching the engine to it's limit early on improves its performance and life. The other things opposite. Not sure which one is correct.
My 145 was for a short period and that too did not cross 4500 rpm. Dont think I have stressed the engine much. However the major reason for run-in during older days was the unevenness of the frictional surfaces of the piston/cylinder/gears etc. Now with the current laser based computerised cutting technologies, these concerns are not there. So there is very little chance that you would damage an engine but not running it in.
Quote:
Sorry guys, the manual does have a section for running in - page 223. First 1000 km need to restrict top speed to 3/4th of max speed.
Congratulations Sadnabrina! Sorry, I did not notice this thread earlier! Your Polo looks smashing in Red!

Running in - More then the speed, Engine RPM is important. If you keep the engine RPM to less then 75% of the maximum limit, during the first 1000Kms, it should be OK. Petrol Polo red-lines at 6500 RPM? It would be safe to limit it to 4500 RPM during run-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The car looks amazing!Chunky is the word that comes to my mind.
Yes the front bumper strips do look a bit out of place,although the side mouldings compliment the car.
Also after the monsoons you could remove the rear mudflaps,Polo looks much better without them.
+1 on this. Polo Highline is one car, which needs minimum accessories after purchase. Less you add - Better for the looks!!
Old 31st August 2010, 14:12   #131
Senior - BHPian

You could have put bumper strips closer to the black plastic cladding on the fog light holder. Or you could remove it since it looks odd.
Cant you get the side ones painted.

But the car looks very good and solid. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:25   #132
BHPian

Congratulations Sadnabrina! The Polo looks great...muscular looking hatch. Do post a full engine performance update once you complete the run-in. Dying to know where it stands in comparison to the other premium hatches. Enjoy your ride.
Old 31st August 2010, 14:37   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but you've been ripped off on the Insurance part! 26.5K for an IDV of 6.16L is simply too much!
That's approx. how much it is in Bangalore too. Break up for Bangalore for the 1.6 is:

Ex-showroom: 6,21,476
Insurance: 25,298
Road tax & Service charge: 1,01,708

TOTAL: 7,48,482

Apparently there was a mix up with insurance earlier by VW Downtown as a result of which they were quoting approx. 4K less than VW Palace Orchards.

Insurance is high because as I understand from Bajaj Allianz the 1.6 now falls in the same class (above 1,500 cc) as Innova. In fact the Polo diesel which costs more ex-showroom has a lower insurance figure than the 1.6.

Of course all of the above is with 0% NCB.
Old 31st August 2010, 15:05   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Petrol Polo red-lines at 6500 RPM? It would be safe to limit it to 4500 RPM during run-in.
The pictures suggest red line starts at 6000 RPM.
Old 31st August 2010, 16:21   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The pictures suggest red line starts at 6000 RPM.
Yes. I was not sure. But I took 6000 to calculate 75%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks