Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 13:21   #151
Senior - BHPian

Every new picture of the Polo that you post takes me closer to the edge, a few more and I think I would take the plunge of selling my swift and bringing a Polo home.

As for switching between the stalks being on the wrong side I have to make this transition on a daily basis between the Zen, Swift, Cedia on one side and the Aveo on the other. Very good advice on keeping the wiper blades clean as even after four years of usage invariably one tends to activate the wipers in the Aveo when trying to flash in an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Fortunately it did not take much time to switch sides. Focussed effort during the first 30 minutes was enough. Luck was in my favour as it was dark and raining. So was forced to use both the stalks that day. I suggest you keep the windshield and the wiper blades thoroughly clean during the first few days, to avoid any damage from any accidental dry wiper run.

The controls may look complicated at first but the everyday use functions are not complicated at all. Once you get the hang of it you will find them very userfriendly.
Old 1st September 2010, 13:59   #152
Senior - BHPian

Excellent interior pics! I liked the first one very much. Gives a Panoramic effect. Color combination of the seat cover is also very good.
Old 1st September 2010, 14:38   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Excellent interior pics! I liked the first one very much. Gives a Panoramic effect. Color combination of the seat cover is also very good.
Thanks Chetan. The pics were taken at night, lit by flash reflected from the ceiling. The panoramic effect was due to the use of a ultra wide (11-16 mm) lens on my D 80. Will try a few more using that lens from different angles.
Old 2nd September 2010, 23:54   #154
BHPian

Fantastic pics Sadnabrina, the fx of the ultra wide in pic #1 is spectacular. Looks like a reall cool cockpit. 'The steering' is also my favourite, shows the front console and steering really well, with the 'VW' insignia hogging the attention most subtly. Lighting is the key, the bouncing off fx brings out the detail in sharp clarity. Incidently, i use the D90.
Looking forward to more pics. (maybe with headlights on, overlit by a street lamp at night)
Old 4th September 2010, 09:29   #155
BHPian

Mileage update

Refilled yesterday for the 3rd time. Got an FE of 9.5 kmpl for the last run. This time it was completely bumper to bumper city driving in peak hours with AC on always, lots of idling at the signals with AC.

Overall covered nearly 1000 kms. The mechanicals now feel bit smoother, the tacho rises faster.
Complaints -
1) The height adjuatable drivers seats seems to have some play - resulting in a slight rocking motion. The VW guys wants to see it, will take to the service station next week. I think poloman had similar problems.
2) Slight noise from the boot. Found out that the origin is the boot floor board. Possibly the under floor padding has some problems.

Last edited by sadnabrina : 4th September 2010 at 09:32.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:32   #156
Senior - BHPian

This rocking seat is one of the irritating things in Polo. The problem vanishes if you keep the seat height adjust at the lowest position. But can have serious visibility issues for short drivers. Your back can develop problems due to this.
Previously I was thinking this as a psychological feel. Now that more and more HL owners are reporting this VW has to do some thing to fix this.

Last edited by poloman : 4th September 2010 at 10:39.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:33   #157
BHPian

Is it time already to let the engine rip?
Old 5th September 2010, 10:59   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
This rocking seat is one of the irritating things in Polo. The problem vanishes if you keep the seat height adjust at the lowest position. But can have serious visibility issues for short drivers. Your back can develop problems due to this.
Previously I was thinking this as a psychological feel. Now that more and more HL owners are reporting this VW has to do some thing to fix this.
But mine "rocks" even at the lowest poition. VW needs to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax176 View Post
Is it time already to let the engine rip?
Nearly. Manual says between 1000 and 1500 reach the top speed at times.
Need my son's halfyearly to end before we can go out for long drive and try out.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:18   #159
BHPian

Its white, its bright and its powerful!!
Finally got my 1.6 polo, will start the ownership thread soon
Old 6th September 2010, 09:31   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
Its white, its bright and its powerful!!
Finally got my 1.6 polo, will start the ownership thread soon
Congrats. Post some pics please.

Meanwhile I have started stressing the engine more now that it has clocked 1000+ kms. Accelerates pretty good, but at high rpms the engine is noisy.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:43   #161
BHPian

Anirban, how responsive is the 1.6L motor within the 2000 rpm range ? Does it require frequent gear shifts during city drives ? Does it suffer from short gearing like the 1.2, just curious.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:13   #162

The numbers being on the lower side than the Polo 1.2 is expected, but 9.5 kmpl is lower than I hoped for. With the vento ARAI figures being 15.4 kmpl, shouldn't the Polo 1.6 be same of better?

-lc

Quote:
Refilled yesterday for the 3rd time. Got an FE of 9.5 kmpl for the last run. This time it was completely bumper to bumper city driving in peak hours with AC on always, lots of idling at the signals with AC.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:38   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecrusader View Post
The numbers being on the lower side than the Polo 1.2 is expected, but 9.5 kmpl is lower than I hoped for. With the vento ARAI figures being 15.4 kmpl, shouldn't the Polo 1.6 be same of better?
Tank full to tank full method, is the best as we all know. In B2B traffic, with 100% AC & lots of idling - 9.5 Kmpl for a 1.6L engine is decent IMHO. Every 3 minutes of idling is equivalent to driving the car for 1 Kms, as far as FE is concerned. Car should not be idled for more then 20secs (except during cold starts) for a good FE. Technically also, engine does not need to be idled for a long time.

Logically, Polo 1.6 should give a slightly better FE than Vento because of lesser weight - If both have identically tuned engines.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:47   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Anirban, how responsive is the 1.6L motor within the 2000 rpm range ? Does it require frequent gear shifts during city drives ? Does it suffer from short gearing like the 1.2, just curious.
The 1.6 has got decent low end grunt. The Torque (153 Nm @ 3750) and Power (105 PS (77 KW) @ 5250) peak at a comparatively (to Swift) lower rpm theoretically should give it much better performance at low speeds. In reality also I have found the response as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecrusader View Post

-lc
lc,
I belive it is the post monsoon roads (or the absence of it) and the traffic in Kolkata is taking its toll on the FE. I am sure to have got around 12 kmpl in any other decent city. Kolkata has really turned in to a nightmare for a driver. The lifeline named Eastern Metropolitan Bypass which used to be one of the best roads a few years back, is now the worst. A 10 km drive during peak hours takes you anywhere between 1 and 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Tank full to tank full method, is the best as we all know. In B2B traffic, with 100% AC & lots of idling - 9.5 Kmpl for a 1.6L engine is decent IMHO. Every 3 minutes of idling is equivalent to driving the car for 1 Kms, as far as FE is concerned. Car should not be idled for more then 20secs (except during cold starts) for a good FE. Technically also, engine does not need to be idled for a long time.

Logically, Polo 1.6 should give a slightly better FE than Vento because of lesser weight - If both have identically tuned engines.
Chetan,
Polo 1.6 would definitely give better FE. Let us see the results from nowwhat?'s review. Bangalore roads are possibly better than the nightmare I am in.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:55   #165
Team-BHP Support

First of all, hearty congratulations on acquiring India's newest hot-hatch! And I must say, you've taken some wonderful pictures. Good job!

Now I've been told that the Polo 1.6 isn't as responsive as expected, especially when compared to some other hatches with larger engines, i.e. the i20 1.4. But I'm not going to buy that!

So when are you getting the Polo Cup kit; skirts, spoilers et al?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks