Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 11:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 7th B'day of my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
No car from the TATA stable? That is strange coming from a long term Indica owner Or maybe that is the reason for TATA not being in the list
Amit, you have caught me. It might sound strange, but the 3 cars that I have mentioned above are "at the top of my list" & not the whole list. A Tata (Manza) is definitely one amongst the probable candidates, however in its current avatar, the 1.3 L Quadrajet engine seems to be a tad small for the sheer size of Manza & hence have been into relegation. One thing is for sure that my next car would sport a 1.6L common rail diesel mill (the 1.5L TDCi Fiesta being an exception, if it is quite powerful, only TD of the new Fiesta can decide). If the Manza comes with a 1.6L Quadrajet in future it might shoot to the top of my list

Tata cars are no doubt very VFM & long lasting (if only one can live with the small niggles). So in no way I am undermining the TATA cars, only they don't have one currently on offer that exactly matches my needs. Hope this clarifies the matter.
Old 24th July 2011, 12:21   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Indica DLX - One Lakh kms & beyond

For the last couple of days I had started facing this issue, Whenever I accelerate in lower gears, there is some (khad, khad) noise coming from the left side of the vehicle. The same noise also could be heard when I maneuver the pot holes or big humps. Initially I though it could be the loose spare wheel or jack, but both are secured in their place. After observing it more keenly I was getting a feeling that it was coming from LHS front side, could be engine bay. At times noise could also be heard when I braked. I was suspecting the engine mounting might have got loose. Checked the mounting by opening the bonnet, starting the car in neutral, then pulling the accelerator cable, racing the engine. There were no undue vibrations.

On Saturday took the car to my mechanic, told him the noise issue. He lifted the car on the ram & checked the balancing rod & ball joints (BJ). He said the balancing rod has taken a hit & there was excessive play in the LH BJ, which was creating that noise. He recommended to replace both the BJs & the balancing rod, this would sort out the noise issue. Since I had to pick up my daughter from school, I told him that I would be back with the car at 02:00pm.

Went back to him in the afternoon. Both lower arm ball joints & balancing rod were replaced. The part & labour cost is as follows:

Lower arm ball joints & balancing rod replacement @ 96,136 km Rs 1378.00
Total - Part Charges 1,078.00
Tabross lower arm ball joint, 2 nos @ 389.00 each 778.00
Balancing rod 300.00
Total - Labour Charges 300.00

Drove the car for couple of kms, could not hear the noise. The real test will be on Monday on the road to my office filled with potholes & speedbreakers. Hopefully the noise should not occur there.

The underbody was also inspected for gear box & drive shaft damage, but fortunately there was none.

Since the above parts related to front steering were changed, I thought better get the alignment checked as well. When I lift my hands off the steering (@ the speed of 50-60 kmph) the car very slow veered to the left, earlier it used to go on straight line. The last alignment was done @ 80K kms.

I got the wheel alignment done from Darshan Tyers, Chinchwad. Job done in 20 mins. Now the car moves perfectly in a straight line. The steering is also centered correctly, earlier it was tilted towards left (@8-10 degrees). Also purchased 2 tubeless tyre valves (as spare) for Rs 40/- each. Remember my earlier saga, when I was charged a hefty Rs 450/- for a simple valve
I checked the alignment report. There wasn't much difference in the Initial & Final readings for Caster & Camber, however the Toe readings had a considerable difference.
Old 25th July 2011, 03:43   #48
BHPian

Hi autoindian. Can you also elaborate if the ball joints were replaced before this ever?
I am only asking to see if we van predict the life better. I replaced my LH BJ at around 40k kms.
Old 25th July 2011, 07:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deep_bang, this is the first time ever I have replaced my ball joints. Till date my car was on the original ball joints. Yes even I was recommended to change the ball joints during my 40K service, I plainly refused doing so. I made the right decision that time as the same BJs served me well till 96K kms. I asked my mechanic normally what is the life of BJs & he said that they should last around 60-70K kms. Again it could vary depending upon the road conditions, driving habits etc. He also recommended to replace both at once, to which I agreed.

Just a query to you, when you replaced your LH BJ, were you facing any problems, any noises from suspension/ steering etc. In my case I was hearing the khad-khad sound while sudden acceleration, braking or going over a pothole. Also I could feel the left wheel loosing grip, while going over a hump or undulated road.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 20:01   #50
BHPian

In my case, i was hearning a "clunk" sound, whenever the car used to go over a pothole. This was more pronounced when turning right over a pothole than turning left.

Also, my car had run into a few very deep potholes on highways. They had resulted in rim-bends, and so, i guess they also had a role to play in damaging the ball joints.

Yeah. Even i refuses Tata to just simply change parts. In fact, their estimate is so bad that I usually end up doing only half of what they estimate. It looks like the service advisor's salary is based on the amount of sales they achieve, and so they try to push the bill upwards. A very wrong strategy, if true.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

from what I've seen, tasc's/service advisors seem to be under pressure to keep actual bills within estimates that they tend to quote worst case figures. the actual charges tend to be around half or less.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 21:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Yeah. Even i refuses Tata to just simply change parts. In fact, their estimate is so bad that I usually end up doing only half of what they estimate. It looks like the service advisor's salary is based on the amount of sales they achieve, and so they try to push the bill upwards. A very wrong strategy, if true.
That is a good strategy, always ask them questions & unless you are completely satisfied with their reasoning for changing the parts, don't budge at all. Don't know if the SA's incentives are linked to the business they garner, but it is obvious that TASCs are here to do business & generate profits & the easiest way for them is to find soft targets (customers), who never question them & take their word for granted.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:56   #53
BHPian

Where do you service your car?

I used to service the car at Pandit Auto but their queue for servicing is too long these days.
Old 26th July 2011, 09:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have serviced my car at various places, below are the details:

15-Jan-05 5K SERVICE (Dated 15/01/05 @ 4200km) - Pandit Auto, Tathawade
06-May-05 10K SERVICE (Dated 06/05/05 @ 10243km) - Tata Workshop, Worli
09-Jul-05 15K SERVICE (Dated 09/07/05 @ 15120km) - Universal Auto, Nigdi
13-Oct-05 20K SERVICE (Dated 13/10/05 @ 20295km ) - Universal Auto, Nigdi
09-Jun-06 25K SERVICE (Dated 9/06/06 @ 25903km) - Universal Auto, Nigdi
16-Sep-06 LHS Power window winder assly replacement @ 27,400km- Pandit Auto, Bhosari
22-Nov-06 30K SERVICE (Dated 22/11/06 @ 30,774km) - Universal Auto, Nigdi
30-Jan-07 35K SERVICE (Dated 30/01/07 @ 35,474km) - Pandit Auto, Bhosari
07-Oct-07 Fog Lamp, Reverse Horn & reverse lamp @ 39,550km - Lucas TVS, Chinchwad
09-Dec-07 Alternator servicing at @ 40,450km - Lucas TVS, Chinchwad
18-Feb-08 40K servicing at @ 40,833km - Pandit Auto, Bhosari
14-Feb-09 45K SERVICE (Dated 14/02/2009 @ 46,803 km) - Pandit Auto, Bhosari
25-Apr-09 50K servicing at @ 50,400km - Sandeep's Garage, Wadgaon Sheri
25-Jul-09 55K servicing at @ 55,595km - Siddharth Motors, Chinchwad
16-Aug-09 Glow Plug replacement at @ 56,600km - Siddharth Motors, Chinchwad
02-Sep-09 Priming Pump replacement at @ 57,441 km - Siddharth Motors, Chinchwad
19-Sep-09 Fuel Filter replacement at @ 58,250 km - Lucas TVS, Chinchwad
21-Dec-09 New Alloys & Tyres at @ 62,320 km - N Mehta Wheels, Swargate, Pune
31-Dec-09 5th Alloy & Tyre at @ 63,400 km - N Mehta Wheels, Swargate, Pune
30-Jan-10 65K servicing at @ 64,900 km - Sandeep's Garage, Wadgaon Sheri
20-Mar-10 70K servicing at @ 70,070 km - Siddharth Motors, Chinchwad
03-May-10 LHS Halogen replaced @ 72,142km - Lucas TVS, Chinchwad
18-Sep-10 Glow plugs & relay replacement @ 79,778 km - Lucas TVS, Chinchwad
18-Sep-10 Wheel Alignment @ 79,785 km - Darshan Tyres, Chinchwad
25-Sep-10 80K servicing at @ 80,087km - Sandeep's Garage, Wadgaon Sheri
15-Dec-10 RHS halogen lamp replacement (83,937 kms) - Philips make 90/100 W - Lucas TVS, Chinchwad
18-Dec-10 LHS window glass switch repair (84,070 kms) - Siddharth Motors, Chinchwad
22-Jan-11 LHS Fog Lamp replaced (Mico Make) @ 87,111km - Self @ Home
31-Jan-11 Fuel Tank replacement @ 87,374km - Pandit's Garage, Akurdi
05-Feb-11 Wiper connector pipe replaced @ 87,700km - Self @ Home
06-Mar-11 LHS Fog Lamp replaced (Mico Make) @ 88,908km - Self @ Home
02-Apr-11 90K servicing at @ 90,245km - TVS Lucas (Satish Auto), Chinchwad
03-Apr-11 Fuel filter base plate replacement (Delphi-TVS) @ 90,270 km - Lucas TVS, Chinchwad
23-Jul-11 Lower arm ball joints & balancing rod replacement @ 96,136 km, Siddharth Motors, Chinchwad
Old 26th July 2011, 11:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

31-Jan-11 Fuel Tank replacement @ 87,374km - Pandit's Garage, Akurdi
As expected from you a detailed list

By the way - Fuel Tank Replacement?? Why and how much does it cost?
Old 26th July 2011, 13:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Tank Replacement??

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
As expected from you a detailed list

By the way - Fuel Tank Replacement?? Why and how much does it cost?
Hi Amit, please refer posts #16 & #20 in this very thread, you will get the answers to all your queries.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:00   #57
Senior - BHPian

Just an update. Today while returning home from office, crossed the 99K mark. Now eagerly awaiting for the 100K milestone, should be able to reach there somewhere mid-October. I am compiling the list of 100K service tasks. Though I don't envisage anything major, other than the regular 100K service tasks, I want to get back the bite in the brakes, hence planning to replace front discs, brake pads & rear brake liners. Timing belt change is definitely one of the major items. I am not going for the coolant pump replacement, as advised by some senior members.

Any other inputs from senior members shall be highly appreciated
Old 20th September 2011, 23:36   #58
BHPian

@AutoIndian, Very nice Report.

I am getting only ~12kmpl in Bangalore Traffic, how are you calculating the FE ?
I fill for 500 bucks and soon the needle comes to the Red section and starts glowing the amber light, b.w i am not doing full tank to full tank, The Fuel Gauge is a tricky one, it keeps moving up and down, dont know when i should be taking the exact reading. Also tell me how much ltr of Diesel will be left out when its in Red ?

Mine has clocked ~34k KM and its V2 DLG TCIC.

Last edited by johnruben : 20th September 2011 at 23:38.
Old 21st September 2011, 09:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
@AutoIndian, Very nice Report.
Thanks for your compliements.

Quote:
I am getting only ~12kmpl in Bangalore Traffic, how are you calculating the FE ?
Driving habits & style contribute the most to the FE that one can get from a vehicle. You definitely have good scope for improvement. I calculate the FE by tank-full to tank-full method only, nothing else.

Quote:
I fill for 500 bucks and soon the needle comes to the Red section and starts glowing the amber light, b.w i am not doing full tank to full tank, The Fuel Gauge is a tricky one, it keeps moving up and down, dont know when i should be taking the exact reading. Also tell me how much ltr of Diesel will be left out when its in Red ?

Mine has clocked ~34k KM and its V2 DLG TCIC.
The Indica fuel tank capacity is 37 litres, the reserve capacity of approximately 7 litres. Hence when the amber indicator lights up (red mark on fuel gauge), it means there is about 7 litres of fuel left in you fuel tank.

You can definitely improve upon your mileage by being a sedate driver. I have been following the below mentioned driving habits for quite some time.

1. Don't accelerate unnecessarily.
2. Use brake sparingly (only when you want to stop, when u want to decelerate, shift down the gears instead of braking).
3. Drive in anticipation. Means if you are 200 mts from a red light assume that it will turn red by the time you cross it, hence take the foot off the accelerator pedal, instead of racing harshly & let the car coast along. Also if there is a busy junction ahead, downshift & decelerate slowly instead of applying brakes at the last moment.
4. Another most important factor contributing largely to the increased mileage is restriction on top speed (rpm). I am limiting myself to 75 kmph max (which corresponds to 2000 rpm) on clear/ straight stretches of road. I have been following this religiously for the last 3 tank fulls & the result is obvious. Mileage on last 3 ocassions has been 19.89, 20.18 & 20.33 respectively).

Other two important factors (which others may not be so lucky to experience) are:
1. Office timing: I work in second shift (1:00pm to 10:00pm). So I leave the home at 12:00pm & return back at 11:00pm. These are quite off-peak hours, which contributes greatlty to the improved mileage (Others may not be that lucky).
2. Highway stretch: My daily one way commute of 32 kms involves almost 18kms of highway stretch (only 8 signals) with wide roads & scarce traffic, where I can maintain a constant speed of 75kms in top gear. The balance 14 kms has 12 signals with medium traffic to heavy traffic.

I hope you can follow at least some of these driving habits & see the difference for yourself.
Old 27th September 2011, 02:11   #60
BHPian

@AutoIndian, ~19-20 is a great mileage, maybe you are getting that much because of highway driving + less traffic, but in my case i am driving almost in bangalore's heavy traffic daily.

I did a full tank from auto-cutoff to auto-cutoff and this time mileage was 11.8kmpl, this is a ridiculous mileage inspite of following the fuel-saving-methodology while driving. The vehicle was serviced 5k KM back, am i suppose to change something ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks