Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 16:23   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
The car looks in tip top shape. Can hardly make out that it had a major operation. Kudos to your garage folks.
Thanks Amit. I had full confidence in them & they did a great job. This is the reason why I prefer this garage over any other for denting & painting job, though it is more than 20 odd kms from my home.
Old 16th June 2012, 18:58   #152
Senior - BHPian

Off late I have been facing this issue. When the engine is very hot (temperature needle at the centre mark), the engine pick-up drops drastically. Today I had been to Lucas TVS to get a brake lamp. While I was there I shared with the technician the problem of very poor pick-up when the engine is very hot. He then took a test drive of my car (@ half a km, engine was just warming up). Within a couple of metres of driving he said that the rotor of the FIP needs to be replaced. He said that the engine is not producing enough torque even when the engine is cold. At high temperatures due to the increased clearances & reduced viscosity of fuel, the pump is not able to pump enough fuel. He said that FIP overhauling along with rotor replacement would cost somewhere in the range of 15-16K & would take 2 days. I said that the FIP has not been touched till date. He said that if I am going to sell off the car in the near future then no need of spending so much amount. On asking what is the price of a new Bosch FIP, he said it is close to 35K. I was zapped on hearing that. So replacing the pump or even replacing the rotor has been ruled out as of now. I guess I will have to live with this problem until it worsens any further.
Old 17th June 2012, 21:10   #153
Senior - BHPian

The monsoons have reached Pune & today it had been pouring/drizzling throughout the day. Had a short drive (5 kms) in the rains today. After reaching home, checked for any water seepage from the repaired doors & fortunately there was none. The real test would be in heavier rains, drive to my office, which is 32 odds kms & takes at least an hour. If the car can withstand that then full marks to the garage to make water tight repairs.
Old 17th June 2012, 21:24   #154
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion the best test is with a garden hose. After my rear hatch repair, I have a small gap in the glass seal. It hasnt leaked so far even in the heaviest rains, but leaks when i wash the car with the hose
Old 17th June 2012, 21:45   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
In my opinion the best test is with a garden hose. After my rear hatch repair, I have a small gap in the glass seal. It hasnt leaked so far even in the heaviest rains, but leaks when i wash the car with the hose
That's a good idea greenhorn. However rather than force testing water leakage, I would wait for the rain gods to pour down heavily & check out how the repairs withstand the actual conditions/usage. If it doesn't leak in that situation, then I wouldn't bother much even if it leaks when washing with pressurized water hose.
Old 9th July 2012, 09:15   #156
BHPian

I have been following this thread for a long time and the knowledge in this has been of benefit to me. Also it has encouraged me to keep my indigo and push the odor past 150000!!!! Its now 85000. I have read through most of threads regarding the indicated on tbhp.

I need pointers for my upcoming service to be done by a private garage:

1.I feel the pickup is slow after having drivena Tata indicated Turbo.
2.do I need to get the intercooler cleaned?
3.anything specific for preventive maintenance?

I intend to cover another 70k kms in this car.am I looking at some big maintenance costs?
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 09:29   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I have been following this thread for a long time and the knowledge in this has been of benefit to me. Also it has encouraged me to keep my indigo and push the odor past 150000!!!! Its now 85000. I have read through most of threads regarding the indicated on tbhp.
Good to know DrSingh that this thread has been beneficial to you. Even I plan to stretch my car till 150K kms, if everything goes well

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I need pointers for my upcoming service to be done by a private garage:

1.I feel the pickup is slow after having drivena Tata indicated Turbo.
2.do I need to get the intercooler cleaned?
3.anything specific for preventive maintenance?

I intend to cover another 70k kms in this car.am I looking at some big maintenance costs?
I am no expert, but from my personal experience & the experience of other's (over here on TBHP & other forums), I would like to suggest the following:

1. At you next service get the air filter & fuel filter replaced. I believe your turbo kicks in at the designated rpm & you are following the idling regimen religiously (one minute after start in the morning & one minute before engine shut down). This will keep your turbocharger bearings properly lubricated & prevent any premature bearing failure.

2. If you haven't cleaned it yet, then it will be a good idea to clean the intercooler.

3. Also if the above filter replacement does not give you any significant improvement in the pick up, then it would be a good idea to get your FIP (Fuel Injection Pump) recalibrated from the nearest Lucas TVS centre. Also check all the suspensions, engine mounts, fluid levels etc.

Follow exactly as per your car manual & you car should be fine.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 10:46   #158
Senior - BHPian

Today is the 8th birthday of my car, brought it home 8 years ago on this very day. Just a snap shot below of the running & maintenance expenses till date:

Overall FE (kmpl) 18.46
Maintenance exp (Rs/km) 0.72
Fuel expense (Rs/km) 2.07
Overall expense (Rs/km) 2.78
Average running per day (km) 39.07
Average running per month (km) 1172.13
Total Running (km) 1,14,100
Total Maintenance expenses (Rs) 81686.02
Total Running expenses (Rs) 235463.76

Other than regular maintenance, some major maintenance repairs are as follows:

09-Dec-07 Alternator servicing at @ 40,450km 2057.00
03-Oct-08 Battery Replacement at @ 43,200 kms 4,679.63
02-Sep-09 Priming Pump replacement at @ 57,441 km 923.00
21-Dec-09 New Tyres at @ 62,320 km 13800.00
18-Sep-10 Glow plugs & relay replacement @ 79,778 km 1680.00
31-Jan-11 Fuel Tank replacement @ 87,374km 5474.75
02-Apr-11 Starter motor overhauling @ 90,245km 3275.75
14-Apr-12 Clutch kit replacement @ 1,10,00km 3393.00

Overall very satisfied with the car . Hope to keep it for 150K kms or 2 more years or until such time till I get a worthy replacement

Next major work scheduled @ 115K kms, front struts replacement & FIP overhaul @ Lucas TVS.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 10:52   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Today is the 8th birthday of my car, brought it home 8 years ago on this very day.

Hope to keep it for 150K kms or 2 more years or until such time till I get a worthy replacement
Wishing your car Many Happy Returns of the Day!!! This is amazing and a inspiration to me. I have so far clocked 62K in 3 years and also intend to keep the vehicle for another couple of years. Goes to show that proper maintenance goes a long way in keeping the car in good shape.

I am surprised to read that with so many different car launches you are still not able to find a worthy replacement? Or is it that you don't want to let go of this car now. Too much attachment with it.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 11:07   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wishing your car Many Happy Returns of the Day!!! This is amazing and a inspiration to me. I have so far clocked 62K in 3 years and also intend to keep the vehicle for another couple of years. Goes to show that proper maintenance goes a long way in keeping the car in good shape.
Thanks for your wishes Amit. Feels great to know that my car has been an inspiration to you. Yes regular maintenance & proper upkeep does help is keeping the car roadworthy.

Quote:
I am surprised to read that with so many different car launches you are still not able to find a worthy replacement? Or is it that you don't want to let go of this car now. Too much attachment with it.
Both your above comments are spot on. There are indeed many new cars around, but none of them have been able to strike a cord in the heart. Had hopes from the Duster, but after reading the mixed reactions over here it has not struck the right cords. Now I am keenly looking forward for the Ecosport launch. "Too much attachment". well I would be fooling myself if I deny that, it being my first car . However all good things in life have come to an end & so would be my association with my Indica, not sure yet when that day would come.
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:51   #161
Senior - BHPian

Flat Tyre - Valve replaced, Flickering indicator - fused bulb replaced

Off late my front RHS tyre was loosing pressure (around 3-4 psi per week). Friday morning when I checked on my pen type pressure gauge, it showed me 25 psi. I then inflated it to 32psi with my manual foot pump & went to office. While returning in the night, to my utter dismay, the tyre was completely flat. Had to pull up my sleeves & replace the flat tyre with the spare one. Even the spare had low pressure (my 12V portable compressor came in handy then).

Saturday morning first thing I did was to remove the flat tyre. Inflated it to 40psi. Removed all the foreign matter from the treads, fortunately I could not spot any kind of nail/sharp object pierced in the tyre. Then I put some water on the valve & bubbles started coming out of it. The valve was faulty & leaking air. I pressed it so as to move any dirt/debris, but then it started leaking more. Took the car to the nearby tyre shop & asked the fellow to replace the valve. Gave him a new valve that I had purchased couple of months back for Rs 40/-. Tyre fellow charged me Rs 60/- for old valve removal & fitment of new.

Couple of times I observed that my right indicator was flickering, instead of the cyclic ON/OFF. Reason being front RHS indicator was not lighting, pulled out the bulb & found out that it was darkened, filament was apparently fused. Purchased a new one (halonix make) for Rs 40/- from Lucas TVS shop & fitted it myself, flickering has now stopped.
Old 24th July 2012, 23:03   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian
Off late my front RHS tyre was loosing pressure (around 3-4 psi per week). Friday morning when I checked on my pen type pressure gauge, it showed me 25 psi. I then inflated it to 32psi with my manual foot pump & went to office. While returning in the night, to my utter dismay, the tyre was completely flat. Had to pull up my sleeves & replace the flat tyre with the spare one. Even the spare had low pressure (my 12V portable compressor came in handy then).

Saturday morning first thing I did was to remove the flat tyre. Inflated it to 40psi. Removed all the foreign matter from the treads, fortunately I could not spot any kind of nail/sharp object pierced in the tyre. Then I put some water on the valve & bubbles started coming out of it. The valve was faulty & leaking air. I pressed it so as to move any dirt/debris, but then it started leaking more. Took the car to the nearby tyre shop & asked the fellow to replace the valve. Gave him a new valve that I had purchased couple of months back for Rs 40/-. Tyre fellow charged me Rs 60/- for old valve removal & fitment of new.

Couple of times I observed that my right indicator was flickering, instead of the cyclic ON/OFF. Reason being front RHS indicator was not lighting, pulled out the bulb & found out that it was darkened, filament was apparently fused. Purchased a new one (halonix make) for Rs 40/- from Lucas TVS shop & fitted it myself, flickering has now stopped.
Was it a tubeless valve? If so which brand? I have seen valves being sold at 100 bucks. Where do you purchase the valves?
Old 25th July 2012, 09:33   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Was it a tubeless valve? If so which brand? I have seen valves being sold at 100 bucks. Where do you purchase the valves?
Hi Sagar, you are right, it was a tubeless tyre valve. I am not so sure @ the brand of the valve, but at the bottom of the valve body these letters are engraved "TR414", "GERMAN QUALITY". I had purchased these 2 spare valves almost a year back from Darshan Tyres, Chinchwad, Pune, when I went there for my wheel alignment (each costing Rs 40/-). Now the prices might have increased, but could be in the range of 50/-, definitely not 100/-. Will enquire if I visit the shop again. Attaching a picture below for your reference.
Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond-valve-body-cap.jpg
Old 25th July 2012, 10:11   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, I recently purchased a full steel valve for my bike during tyre change and I paid 100 bucks.

Will ask the price of this kind of car valve next time I go for balancing.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:19   #165
BHPian

I had a problem of overcharging in my Indica DLX ( 41k , 4.5 years) , and 2 sets ( 4 nos ) of headlamp bulbs blew in last 6 months. I have observed headlamp brightness increase sometimes momenmtarily while driving , along with increase in rpm many times by almost 150-200 in one burst.

Shown it to Lucas TVS chinchwad, and they diagnosed it as a alternator regulator problem, which needed change. But what shocked me is that , they said I need to overhaul the alternator once its opened and need to change a few more parts like bearing, oil seal, copper rotor etc , plus labor charge of 1000/-, totalling a overhauling cost of 3200/-.

I could not challenged them, but got all these done , took 2 hrs max waiting in the shop. THe problem seems to have gone for now. Alternato voltage is now at 14.30 steady. Is this OK ?

But what I want to know from you is that, whether the whole overhaul was needed at all ...or onlt the regulator change @800/- would have sufficed. Have thery duped me in getting a unnecessary thing done , or it was a standard practice in case alternator is opened ?

Pls let me know with your detailed expert opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks