Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 15:23   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
thanks for your reply.

There were 3 passengers in the car in the past 2 days. One co passenger and one in rear seat.

Anyways, will try some of the options suggested by you and see if that improves the effectiveness of the cooling.

I am not willing to get the car ac touched by mechanics unless absolutely needed.
Is the recirculation on? Then the cooling will be even faster, also I have seen that if the car is in hot sun for few hours, its best to down all Windows for sometime, just put the blower at high for 5 mins and then turn on the ac along with closing the Windows and lowering the blower speed to 2, works for me.
Old 13th April 2012, 20:06   #107
Senior - BHPian

Friends just thought of sharing with you that I have booked an appointment tomorrow morning with Venus Auto, Chinhwad for my 110K service. I told the proprietor Harsih over the phone that I wanted to change the clutch, more as a preventive measure, than any kind of trouble, to which he said if there are no issues then why replace. Anyways will take a call tomorrow. I have already purchased all the oils, Castrol GTD 15W40 engine oil, 4 litres can, Castrol Dot3 brake fluid (250 ml), Fuel filter & Purolator oil filter. Will buy the other spares like air filter, clutch kit, brake pads (if required) etc from Pandit Auto in Bhosari.

Will update this thread tomorrow post the service.
Old 14th April 2012, 23:30   #108
Senior - BHPian

Details of 110K service

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Friends just thought of sharing with you that I have booked an appointment tomorrow morning with Venus Auto, Chinhwad for my 110K service.
Hello Friends,

Today's day was very hectic. I am writing this mail at the 11th hour (literally it is 11:15 in the night). Got the 110K service done from Venus Auto, Chinchwad. Day started at 09:00am & returned home at 08:00pm, 11 hours at the workshop attending my car. Finally very satisfied with the service. Major work carried out was clutch assembly replacement & brake pads replacement. The other details with part & labour charges are listed below:

Assly Oil Filter -1 nos (Purolator make) 75.00
15W40 Diesel Engine Oil - 4 ltr (Castrol GTD) 1,000.00
Fuel Filter Primary - 1 nos (Purolator make) 60.00
Distilled water (for battery top-up) 15.00
Parking lamp 15.00
Brake Oil Castrol Dot-3 - 250ml 90.00
Clutch kit - Part # 885527020006 - 1 nos 3,393.00
Reverse switch - Part # 6270254509960 203.00
Brake pads - set of 4, Apache make - Part # 270242100185 845.00
Clutch cable - 284229100119 - 1 nos 356.00
Oil Seal - driveshaft - Part # 4269026207710 - 2 nos 222.00
Oil Seal - shiftrod - Part # 269026517709 - 1 nos 30.00
Buffer (engine cover bolts) - Part # 279001150116 - 2 nos 88.00
Total - Part Charges 6,392.00
Engine Oil & oil filter change 150.00
Gear box oil change
Clutch overhaul & replacement (shifter rod & driveshaft seal replacement) 650.00
Coolant drain & refill for GB removal
Tyre Rotation
Air Filter cleaning
Adjust AC belt tension & remove clinking noise
Battery electrolyte level (top-up with distilled water)
Brake pads replacement 100.00
Brake bleeding & brake oil replacement
RHS parking lamp fitting.
Tip to the mechanic (Pawan) 50.00
Washing 200.00
Total - Labour Charges 1,150.00

Overall Total - Rs 7542.

Improvements:
1. Clutch pedal movement has become smooth
2. Gear shift seems to be improved
3. In first gear, on releasing the clutch pedal car moves on its own, w/o giving any gas. Earlier I had to race the car a bit. Pickup in 2nd gear also had improved
4. Brakes have become more effective
5. Steering has become lighter
6. Engine has become smooth (obviously due to oil change) & the clinking noise removed.

Overall very satisfied with the service & worth the money spent. Hope car continues to serve me w/o major hick-ups for years to come. I love my car.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 17:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

Further updates post service. I observed that the clutch pedal has gone down below the level of brake pedal by at least 10 mm. I learnt from another group that the brake & clutch pedals must be at the same height. Actually I was loving the short travel of the clutch pedal, but then it was worrying me if it would ruin the clutch. Hence visited the workshop today morning the mechanic opened the bonnet & asked me to lift the clutch pedal at a height desired by me. I lifted the clutch pedal & then he tightened the adjusting screw. Was a 2 minutes job, DIY, but wanted to know what is the procedure. Now next time I can adjust the clutch pedal height myself at home. Now the clutch pedal travel has increased, but I can at least be assured that when I lift the foot off the pedal the clutch would be fully engaged & vice versa.
Old 18th April 2012, 19:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

One more observation. Daily in the office parking I am observing a few drops of oil beneath the car. Also happened to see some oil in the apartment parking. I am fearing a leak somewhere from the Power Steering oil piping. I believe the leak has started after I got my wheel alignment checked on Monday. The guy did some steering adjustment, which could have triggered the leak. Though not a major one, it still worries me. Will observe the PS oil level in the container for the next couple of days & then take a call whether to fix it or leave it with an occasional of PS oil top-up.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:55   #111
Senior - BHPian

Some interesting figures (numbers) on my car's odo in the last couple of days. Thought of sharing with you.

First a Single Nelson or purely a Nelson (Those who are familiar with cricket would know that this number is considered to be an unlucky one, especially for a batsman, if he is playing on 111, his chances of getting out on this score are pretty high)

Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond-single-nelson-my-odo.jpg

Then a Double Nelson (not in the real sense). A real Double Nelson would be "222", but here I am taking the liberty of calling the "111111" figure a Double Nelson (Hope the cricketing pundits don't debar me for this audacity of mine)

Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond-double-nelson-my-odo.jpg
Old 1st May 2012, 18:45   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
the "111111" figure
Congrats on crossing the 100000 km milestone. I know its late, but still. While I have seen a lot of Toyotas, Hondas and recently Hyundais with more than 100000 km in the odo, I have rarely seen private Tata cars with those figures. And to think that the most recent service cost you incurred was in the range of 7000 INR just goes to show how much money we could be saving on a long term with the Indica. Great going!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 23:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Congrats on crossing the 100000 km milestone. I know its late, but still. While I have seen a lot of Toyotas, Hondas and recently Hyundais with more than 100000 km in the odo, I have rarely seen private Tata cars with those figures. And to think that the most recent service cost you incurred was in the range of 7000 INR just goes to show how much money we could be saving on a long term with the Indica. Great going!
Thanks for your wishes Arvi86 though belated. Yes Tata cars too are indeed capable of munching miles similar to those of Toyotas, Hondas et al. Tata does make good, VFM cars. (Two of my friends who own Indica have crossed 1.4 lakh kms & another one 1.3 lakh kms in their respective cars).

Tatas could have easily toppled the Marutis & Hyundais of this world by now, but for their service centres. The TASCs are infamous for their service quality standards & if you are not particular @ your car, then it is a sure shot recipe for disaster. When my car was out of warranty period, most of my services had been done at private garages & I have withstood besides my car during each service, that has definitely paid me off in the form of a reliable car.

Maintenance wise Tatas are cheaper even compared to Marutis. Few days back another TBHPian (Shibuj) completed 110K kms in his Swift DDiS. His maintenance costs are pegged @ 0.90 Rs/km (he gets the wheel alignment done at every 5K kms & balancing, rotation at every 10K kms), my car (having the same number of kms under its hood) consumes 0.74 Rs to a km for maintenance.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the 111k mark. Do get your timing belt checked and replaced if you haven't done it so far.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:27   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Congrats on the 111k mark. Do get your timing belt checked and replaced if you haven't done it so far.
Thanks for the friendly advice Discoverwild. I got the timing belt already replaced at the 100K kms service. Refer message #74 in this very thread for further details --> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-beyond-5.html
Old 1st May 2012, 23:33   #116
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that. You have plenty more life left in the Indica. Feel happy and drive safe! Is it on its 2nd set of tyres (one replacement after OE)?
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 23:42   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Nice to know that. You have plenty more life left in the Indica. Feel happy and drive safe! Is it on its 2nd set of tyres (one replacement after OE)?
Thanks. My target is to keep the car till 1.5 lakh kms or 10 years (whichever is earlier). July 2012 car would be celebrating her 8th b'day. It is on the second set of tyres. The OEM Bridgestones S322 (tubed tyres) lasted me for 62K kms. Then I replaced my steel rims with alloys & shifted to Michelin XM1+ tubeless. Will be shortly completing 50K on these tyres. However I had lost 2 Michelins in freak mishaps (a sidewall cut by a pavement tile & a sidewall burst on hitting a deep crater at high speed).
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:52   #118
BHPian

Congratulations AutoIndian for achieving such a big ODO number ...I am far behind :-). Not sure If I will be ever able to reach that number ever on my indica.

Btw, I want your view on a typical issue I am facing now.

In my Indica V2 Turbo DLX. 4 year old car , 39K on odo.

Case- I was driving with AC on in mid day sun , with family and was cruising at 50-60 kmph, with rpm showing around 1400-1500 range. Suddently there were spurts in rpm meter showing as 1900 ( car still cruisng the same way/ speed in 5th gear) and I could hear the increased engine noise/rev. After some 5-8 secs, it comes down to normal 1400 range.

I feel this is not a normal behaviour.

Even this happens in idling condition at signals. Its normally ( AC off mode) at 950 rpm , sometimes it shoots upto 1100 ..stays there, till car is started and may be later it comes down.

I am worried if this is not the indication of some bigger issue in the engine or something else.

Before I take it to the TASC, i just need your opinions so that they wont take me for a ride by changing some costly parts etc.
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:21   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations AutoIndian for achieving such a big ODO number ...I am far behind :-). Not sure If I will be ever able to reach that number ever on my indica.
Thanks for your wishes. Definitely you can reach there & surpass that if you take due care of your car.

Quote:
Even this happens in idling condition at signals. Its normally ( AC off mode) at 950 rpm , sometimes it shoots upto 1100 ..stays there, till car is started and may be later it comes down.

I am worried if this is not the indication of some bigger issue in the engine or something else.

Before I take it to the TASC, i just need your opinions so that they wont take me for a ride by changing some costly parts etc.
This should not be a big issue. Probably your FICD (Fast Idle Control Device) has gone kaput or misbehaving. I had got is replaced under warranty from Lucas TVS in March 2006.

One of the experts on TIUG forum, Achin Juneja had suggested the following:

"This problem is related to the FICD (Fast Idle Control Device), which increases the rpm when you switch on the AC. The FICD is held in the OFF condition by vacuum from the pump attached to the alternator, when the engine is running with AC OFF. When AC is switched ON, an electrically operated solenoid switch connects the FICD vacuum pipe to the atmosphere, turning the FICD ON, & increasing the idling rpm through the lever connected to the idling rpm adjuster. So high rpm in idling , with the AC switch not having any effect, points to a fault with either the vacuum pipes, the solenoid switch, the actuating lever & diaphragm or the vacuum pump.

Here is a method to locate the faulty part :

In front of the Fuel Pump (towards the front grille), and slightly below it, you will find a discus shaped metal disc (d ), with a 8 mm dia rubber pipe connected to it. Pull off this pipe & start the engine, with AC off. Touch the end of the pipe with a finger . Is there a vacuum ? If Yes, the round metal disc & the actuating lever connected to it have to be replaced. If No, switch off engine & remove the rubber pipe going from below the Fuel pump to the EGR switch, located just to the right of the Fuel pump.(remove from EGR end). Start engine & check for vacuum at this pipe. Is there a vacuum ? If Yes, vacuum pump is OK, FICD solenoid switch is faulty. If No, pipe from vacuum pump is leaking, or vacuum pump is defective."
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:43   #120
BHPian

*** Post contents removed by me since posted already in Indica Issues thread, to vaoid repetition.***

Last edited by Amazing : 3rd May 2012 at 14:50. Reason: Post contents removed since posted already in Indica Issues thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks