Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 08:06   #151
BHPian

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
WOW!! OEM tyres ran for 47K??!! Thats really an impressive tyre mileage for such a powerful heavy car.

Thanks alot for helping with all the info

Cheers!
Nope. They lasted only for 27 K as I had a free replacement under warrenty during 20K service. The initial set of tires were pulling the car left and *** couldnot solve the problem despite they tried hard. So the solution was to replace the GT3s with new GT3s.

While changing the second set of OEM to Yoko the thread was still remaining, at least it would have ran for another 10K.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 17th October 2011 at 08:10.
Old 13th November 2011, 16:36   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV1 View Post
@roadwarrior I would be glad to provide inputs based on my experience, i'm from Bangalore, Whitefield area.
Hey Ravi,

Thanks a bunch. Sorry for being incummunicado, was traveling and work kept me tied down to my comp day-in and day-out.

could you please share your coordinates? I am reachable at iammadwho@gmail.com

Sorabh has also been kind enough to help. I would be speaking to him tomorrow.

cheers,
maddy
Old 15th December 2011, 23:54   #153
BHPian

Dear TBHPians,

After reading the posts by you all, i am also getting interested in buying a used Optra diesel (125ps).

I am already in the process of selling my innova & palio 1.9 D.

What's your opinion on buying a used Optra diesel. I could see some ads featuring Optra D around 5.5 L.
I am planning to shell out only 4.5 L - 5 L for a car now bcoz i am going for house.

How much this engine will run with out issues? Innova can run 5 lakhs KM. 10K is there service interval ( 5k KM check up).

Your inputs on going for a used Optra is highly appreciated and valued.

Regards
Denny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Nope. They lasted only for 27 K as I had a free replacement under warrenty during 20K service. The initial set of tires were pulling the car left and *** couldnot solve the problem despite they tried hard. So the solution was to replace the GT3s with new GT3s.

While changing the second set of OEM to Yoko the thread was still remaining, at least it would have ran for another 10K.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:26   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
@RW9763

The Michelins are on bharath_ravi's Optra . The stock on my car is Apollo Accelere, check page 1 for pics of my car (I wish GM India gave Michelin as OEM fitment).
Hi Drive or die, I am new to this forum and have recently purchased my maggy. I too have Apollo accelere and felt that the noise levels are pretty high on non rubberised roads even at low speeds. Do you face the same? Pl give me your feedback about Appollo Accelere.
Old 24th February 2012, 01:40   #155
Senior - BHPian

@Drive or Die, Thanks for this ownership report. It was influential in the final decision for the Optra. Also for your remark in the Choosing thread. Not sure if you are aware that I went in for it and am very happy with it. Done about 14k. The ownership report is also running on the forum. Thanks once again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Dear TBHPians,

After reading the posts by you all, i am also getting interested in buying a used Optra diesel (125ps).

I am already in the process of selling my innova & palio 1.9 D.

What's your opinion on buying a used Optra diesel. I could see some ads featuring Optra D around 5.5 L.
I am planning to shell out only 4.5 L - 5 L for a car now bcoz i am going for house.

How much this engine will run with out issues? Innova can run 5 lakhs KM. 10K is there service interval ( 5k KM check up).

Your inputs on going for a used Optra is highly appreciated and valued.

Regards
Denny
@Tornado,

People usually say that one should go in for a pre-owned Optra. My view on this is a bit different. Some cars are built to last without trouble for very long, eg Toyotas etc. They are very good buys for pre-owned, even though they price may be higher (well, it is higher for this very reason).

With some cars, one is less sure of a niggle free latter half of life. From what I found out, some repairs on the Optra are expensive (AC, Suspension - do have a through check before you go in for one). Optra really may not be as happy a car to be with in it's latter part of life.

As for the engine, have heard of cases of it going strong at 2lac kms. Over that, one doesn't know. The car is anything but underpowered. It is a very refined engine from an acclaimed company. (some details here ) It should last a long time, though maybe not comparable to an Innova.

If trouble-free ownership is your main concern, I'd say you stick with the Innova. If you see more to life ( )and don't mind some issues which may come with a pre-owned Optra, go ahead and have a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
Hi Drive or die, I am new to this forum and have recently purchased my maggy. I too have Apollo accelere and felt that the noise levels are pretty high on non rubberised roads even at low speeds. Do you face the same? Pl give me your feedback about Appollo Accelere.
Welcome to the forum, deepeshh. I too have the Acceleres on the Magnum (only done 14k). I find them very good tyres for an OEM, though a tad soft, if you really want to have fun with the car. Please check the tyre pressure. The tyre noise increases a lot on onverinflated tyres. When I keep about 32psi-front and 30psi-rear after about 20 mins of usage, I find the noise to be very well controlled. A bit more on tyre pressure and the Optra here .

Drive_or_Die has had them for much longer, so hopefully he will share his experience too. I believe many of his friends too have Optras.

@Drive_or_Die, Mate, have not seen you for ages. Please share your (and your friend's experiences)
Old 24th February 2012, 16:32   #156
BHPian

Welcome to the forum, deepeshh. I too have the Acceleres on the Magnum (only done 14k). I find them very good tyres for an OEM, though a tad soft, if you really want to have fun with the car. Please check the tyre pressure. The tyre noise increases a lot on onverinflated tyres. When I keep about 32psi-front and 30psi-rear after about 20 mins of usage, I find the noise to be very well controlled. A bit more on tyre pressure and the Optra here .

I thought the tyre pressure were to be maintained at 28PSI, because that is what is mentioned in the manual and as well as the signage on the door pillar. Could you please confirm
Old 24th February 2012, 16:40   #157
BHPian

Hi guys, I have noticed two shortcomings from my short stint with my Maggy. I felt that the dashboard reflection on the wind screen is pretty annoying especially on a sunny day. I dint experience any such issue with my Honda city. Another point is that the digital odo does not light up in dark. Most of the modern cars have the digital odo reading getting illuminated automatically in the dark. Each time you need to turn on the park lights to see the reading.

Cani I have the forum views on these two aspects?
Old 24th February 2012, 17:10   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I thought the tyre pressure were to be maintained at 28PSI, because that is what is mentioned in the manual and as well as the signage on the door pillar. Could you please confirm
That is COLD TYRE PRESSURE (to be checked before the car is used, in the morning). Do go through that link I sent you
More when I am on the comp.

PS: Read the forum rules on multiqoute, or you may be heading for trouble.
Old 29th February 2012, 20:28   #159
BHPian

Hello All, I keep tyre pressure at 34 (non Cold Pressure) on Acceleres. One of my friend uses same tyre pressure on Michelins. We have noticed that Car with Michelins has lesser cabin noise.

On one another Optra running on Bridgestone, we observed a wired thing- there is unwanted shudder in front wheels while applying brakes as if ABS is activated. After frequent shudders, we started keeping track of tyre pressure and it seems the shudder happens whenever the fryer pressure goes above 36. Not sure how the tyre pressure increases as my friend gets tyre pressure checked every week from same filling station.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:26   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post

I replaced my stock tyres on my Magnum at 52k. Older tyres were completely worn out. I have moved to Yoko C drive and experiencing a problem where car is pulled to left. I went back to tyre dealer where he rotated the tyres from left to right which made no difference then he rotated from front to back which also made no difference.

I never faced this issue in last 4.5 yrs . Now this issue is really troubling me. Service guys are saying all Chevys have this issue which i never faced earlier even with worn out tyres. They asked me to take it to service center for check up.

Any guesses why this problem has come up after Tyre replacement?
Old 1st March 2012, 15:15   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I replaced my stock tyres on my Magnum at 52k. Older tyres were completely worn out. I have moved to Yoko C drive and experiencing a problem where car is pulled to left.
As a starting point, it would be worthwhile to get Wheel Alignment done from a good place/person.

Apparently, with it's independent suspension setup, the average Joe messes it up the alignment. So, I was told by a long time Optra owner. One of his gripes with the Optra ownership was with getting proper WA done.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:40   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
As a starting point, it would be worthwhile to get Wheel Alignment done from a good place/person.

Apparently, with it's independent suspension setup, the average Joe messes it up the alignment. So, I was told by a long time Optra owner. One of his gripes with the Optra ownership was with getting proper WA done.
The place i am going , he claims to have best equipment in town (3D alignment). Can't talk about the service person....
Old 1st March 2012, 17:21   #163
BHPian

Quote:
I felt that the dashboard reflection on the wind screen is pretty annoying especially on a sunny day. I dint experience any such issue with my Honda city.
Deepeshh: I have my Optra with me now for the past 2 months. This is surely a problem. I found a simple way to solve it - I am using Polaroid sunglasses and boy, that reduces the glare dramatically. You will need a genuine Polaroid glass to eliminate the reflection - worth buying one

Quote:
Another point is that the digital odo does not light up in dark. Most of the modern cars have the digital odo reading getting illuminated automatically in the dark. Each time you need to turn on the park lights to see the reading.
There are many other features of a 'modern' car that the Optra lacks. This is one such that we will have to live with! The car makes up for the lack of modern gadgetry.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:48   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I replaced my stock tyres on my Magnum at 52k. Older tyres were completely worn out. I have moved to Yoko C drive and experiencing a problem where car is pulled to left. I went back to tyre dealer where he rotated the tyres from left to right which made no difference then he rotated from front to back which also made no difference.

I never faced this issue in last 4.5 yrs . Now this issue is really troubling me. Service guys are saying all Chevys have this issue which i never faced earlier even with worn out tyres. They asked me to take it to service center for check up.

Any guesses why this problem has come up after Tyre replacement?
This may sound weird, but in my experience it is true. The posistion of the alloys are important for Magnum. You will have to find out where each alloys are fitted before, bring the same alloys to that position solved my issue. If you dont have specific marks to identify them now, the only method is trial and error. Good luck.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:12   #165
BHPian

[quote=chetan_l;2699176]Deepeshh: I have my Optra with me now for the past 2 months. This is surely a problem. I found a simple way to solve it - I am using Polaroid sunglasses and boy, that reduces the glare dramatically. You will need a genuine Polaroid glass to eliminate the reflection - worth buying one

Can this problem be solved by anti glare sunfilm on the windscreen? Also pl let me know the cost of polaroid sunglass ( Good quality).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks