Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 15:23   #166
BHPian

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Hi could somebody tell me about the option of using a USB along with the OEM audio available on the LT model. I dont want to go for a new unit which will eat up my 20k atleast. I was told about a 'Modulator' or something with which I could use the USB through the aux option. I would like to know if the audio quality will be compromised if such an option is used? Could the Guru's pl give their opinions
Old 6th March 2012, 15:30   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
The place i am going , he claims to have best equipment in town (3D alignment). Can't talk about the service person....
I know this might sound weird, but a few times I felt that the alignment a bit off with our Optra, I checked the tyre pressure and correcting that solved the issue. Even a 1-2psi difference between left and right was quite noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
This is surely a problem. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepeshh View Post
Can this problem be solved by ...
Just adding my 2p

When I read about this problem on Chetan's thread, was surprised that I didn't really face it. Eventually realized that it may have to do with what one has been used to. When I drove a car with beige interiors for the first time, it really was bothersome. Eventually got so used to it, that I didn't even notice it in the Optra!

What I really am saying is that one just may get used to it, after some time. The human brain is a marvel and can adjust to what "information" to block. All that said, there are times when the angle of the sun is such that the reflection is particularly harsh, it does bother.
Old 7th March 2012, 11:15   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
Deepeshh: I have my Optra with me now for the past 2 months. This is surely a problem. I found a simple way to solve it - I am using Polaroid sunglasses and boy, that reduces the glare dramatically. You will need a genuine Polaroid glass to eliminate the reflection - worth buying one
Can this problem be solved by anti glare sunfilm on the windscreen? Also pl let me know the cost of polaroid sunglass ( Good quality).
Deepesh, a sunfilm only helps in blocking heat & harmful radiation - this will not eliminate the reflection. I have put 3M CR70 on my windshield and so can vouch for it.
You will get genuine Polaroid sun glasses from upwards of Rs 1000. You will get good models for 2 - 2.5k

Quote:
Hi could somebody tell me about the option of using a USB along with the OEM audio available on the LT model. I dont want to go for a new unit which will eat up my 20k atleast. I was told about a 'Modulator' or something with which I could use the USB through the aux option. I would like to know if the audio quality will be compromised if such an option is used? Could the Guru's pl give their opinions
Do search Team-BHP forums - you will find plenty of information on FM modulators. My experience has been poor - the sound quality suffers and the product quality is also not good, unless you go for branded ones like Jabra. Nonetheless, check if your head-unit has Aux IN capability (my LS has so your LT should have too). You can buy a good male-to-male 3.5mm connector cable and play music from your iPod/compatible phone/mp3 player. This is again a very simple solution, costing between Rs 150 - 500 depending on the quality of the cable. You can order one via eBay or pick up from your any electronics stores.
chetan_l is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 15:53   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can get a wide choice of head units for 4k-10k also. An entry level Alpine with usb Single-DIN should be about 5.5-6k. The empty space can take up a blank tray slot. Space for some knick-knacks, though you may not like the look of it. Double DIN should be available around 7-8k upwards.

Since the slot is a standard Double-DIN, you have a very wide range to choose from.

There is a large ICE section on the forum. You could go through that.
Old 10th March 2012, 17:20   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
You can get a wide choice of head units for 4k-10k also. An entry level Alpine with usb Single-DIN should be about 5.5-6k. The empty space can take up a blank tray slot. Space for some knick-knacks, though you may not like the look of it. Double DIN should be available around 7-8k upwards.
Hi Poitive, the stock one in Optra is a 6 CD changer and changing the HU means you will have to compromise on this one also, right? Is there any way we can utilise the CD changer?

(I don't know how the set up works, hence this blunder question.)
Old 11th March 2012, 16:37   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Hi Poitive...
^^
Mine was an LS, which comes with a single CD (MP3) player. One usually doesn't get anything significant as a buy-back for that. About the 6CD changer in the LT, I have no idea. If you post a question in the ICE section of the forum, you may get a more appropriate reply.

Also, if one is using a USB based model, one typically doesn't use the CD player much anyway. I believe one can even attach external HDD's to some models, which gives you a huge library to choose from. The extra slot available, if one uses a Single-DIN, can be used to place the HDD.

If you are very particular about your music, you may even want to go for a HU which allows playback of .wav files, which are better, though take up huge amount of space as compared to mp3 files. Though with the OEM speakers, I doubt you would even be able to make out the difference in any car upto say 15L or so (assumption - the MP3 files are properly coded).

OT: Hi Jakku, Seeing you after a very long time. Hope you are well!
Old 8th May 2012, 11:50   #172
BHPian

Hi all, I am been told by a Chevy dealership in Bglore that GM has ceased production of Magnum. I also got a confirmation from the Trivandrum dealer regarding the same. Does the forum have any update on this?
Old 2nd July 2012, 14:54   #173
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post the same message on multiple threads across the forum. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2012 at 13:24.
anandkumargb is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th September 2012, 18:38   #174
BHPian

Could somebody tell me the cost of the wing mirror LED indicator light unit. I had my driver side rear view mirror LED indicator cracked due to my carelesness. Can this be replaced as the LED unit alone or has it to be replaced as a whole. If anyone has any info pl intimate.
Old 1st October 2012, 21:36   #175
BHPian

Rs4000 each which is quite steep. I broke mine on the 14th day I got my magnum. Sad sad day...
Old 18th October 2012, 12:04   #176
BHPian

PS Oil leak- Optra Magnum 2.0 (diesel)

I've been using Chevy Optra Magnum (2010 model) as workhorse for last couple of year and I have to say that it has been performing it's job superbly. Optra has been getting serviced regularly at A** (Kropex Bangalore) and the last service for 25K odo was done in Aug'12.

On the evening of Oct 11 (Thursday) I drove back home as usual. It was when I reached the basement parking of my building I realised that my the steering has turned too heavy. In fact, I felt as if it has jammed. Quickly stepped out of the car to see if I've got a flat tyre- but NO!

I sensed that this could be some kind of power failure in Power Steering. Hence, turned the ignition off and then restarted but to no gain- steering was still very heavy. As my parking slot was 10-15 meters away when this incident happened so I decided to fit the car in parking slot first and then analyse the problem.

Managed to move the car with heavy steering-knowingly that this could damage components- I took the risk and parked it.

Generally, there is enough illumination in my parking but on this day odds were against me. There was a power cut and building maintenance team turns on minimum lights in basements when using genset. So, I decided not to open the bonnet at this time. However, my curiosity took me to the spot where I first felt heaviness in steering to look for any clues.

And there it was, a pool of oil telling me that my Power Steering oil has flushed out. Now, baffled with this fact I turned to our (team-bhp) portal to understand reason for oil leak,
I did find some info on incidents where PS assembly experienced oil leak due to crack & etc. But my case was different as oil was not dripping but it flushed out. I performed some more research and realised that instant flush out happens in case of seal breakage or hose worn out.

There were permutations and combinations going in my mind and these resulted in accepting the fact that total expense can be up to 20K if PS assembly needs replacement.

After having read the reviews on PS issues, majority of comments suggested reaching out to A** , so called up Chevy's road assistance to visit me the next day. Mind it I've still not opened the bonnet of my car.

Road assistance team asked me to brief the incident and advised that they would get PS oil and replaceable hose with them. But if the issue is major, the car would need to be towed to service center.

Road assistance team reached at my place at promised time and it was time to open the bonnet.

There it was, the hose connecting PS motor and oil container hanging from one side. My immediate question, the hose is clipped at joints so what happened and what do we need to do now?

Road Assistance team briefed me that in rare case the hose slips from its place even though it has been clipped. And from impact perspective, I need to fill in the oil in the container and things will be back to normal. Total expense INR 900 (350 for oil and 550 for Road Assistance charges)

I was happy that the incident did not pinch my pocket heavily but I have some unanswered questions.

1. Can a clipped hose just move from it's place? As a precaution I would keep checking clipped hoses regularly to see if these are not slipping. But is there any other way of ensuring non slippage of hoses?
2. I was fortunate that incident happened in my parking slot- what if I was on highway clocking 120-140kmph?

Last edited by drive_or_die : 18th October 2012 at 12:08.
Old 18th October 2012, 13:24   #177
BHPian

Re: PS Oil leak- Optra Magnum 2.0 (diesel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post

1. Can a clipped hose just move from it's place? As a precaution I would keep checking clipped hoses regularly to see if these are not slipping. But is there any other way of ensuring non slippage of hoses?
2. I was fortunate that incident happened in my parking slot- what if I was on highway clocking 120-140kmph?
Power steering hose is under pressure when the engine is in operation. It is definitely possible that hose can erupt. Hoses and their clamps should be checked during all regular services.

Now that your hose has acted up once, get the hose and the clamp changed. The loss of PS fluid does not mean loss of steering capabilities. So even if you were at a high speed, steering would work.

One pro tip: If you lose PS fluid like this in a remote place, and your power steering pump runs on a accessory belt - Cut the belt with the knife. You should be able to drive the car to nearest service station without damaging Power steering assembly.
carbookie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 16:24   #178
BHPian

been following this thread since long which in turn has made me addicted to this car, most pre owned cars are driven extensively, are there scopes sourcing from stock if any with dealers in Chennai?
Old 26th December 2012, 16:36   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
been following this thread since long which in turn has made me addicted to this car, most pre owned cars are driven extensively, are there scopes sourcing from stock if any with dealers in Chennai?
My friend here in HYD is also hunting for a Magnum. So far his efforts have been futile. The local GM dealers are insisting that there are no Magnum's in stock.

I suggest you get in touch with the local GM dealers. Be prepared for some sales talk on the lines of "Saaar, forget about Optra, Cruze is a fantastic car." Good luck with your search.

Cheers,
Klever
Old 26th December 2012, 19:08   #180
BHPian

@ klever, thanks, cruze is good but turns pricey for my reserve and cramped rear seat a minus. i am also having an eye on sparingly used ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks