Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:48   #106

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Hey man good choice, I've a small question for you at this moment. Given a choice right now which one will you prefer New Verna, VW Vento, New Fiesta or Optra Magnum I think all fall in the same price range. Please QUOTE me whenever you get a chance.
@sreejinair it would depend on your priorities and requirements. Here's my take -

1. Go for the New Verna if the features/level of kit, fresh look & relatively less waiting period are your priorities and less space & handling are things you can live with. I drove it recently while helping a colleague pick his choice.
2. Go for the Vento if you're after good looks, build quality & the VW badge but are prepared to deal with a long (and i mean long !) waiting period
3. New Fiesta - no idea about this since i have not driven or even seen it 'in the flesh'
4. Go for the Optra Magnum if space and performance are a priority and you don't mind the "not fresh" (yet elegant) looks and a (relative to new verna) lower level of kit.

I am almost done with my writeup on the ownership review and plan to include these options in the comparison - the writeup has been significantly delayed due to work pressure and child pressure (i.e, summer vacations !)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
--
Ravi
Old 3rd June 2011, 19:35   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur
@ Ravi: Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Optra family. I envy you for the colour as this was my first preference. Instead, i got a black
Thanks ! Actually, optra looks gorgeous in black, i did not have that option as this is a 'family' ride and hence the choice was also by the family; Not that i'm complaining :-)
Old 4th June 2011, 00:47   #108
BHPian

Hello fellow T-BHPians,

My first post.

Thanks for all the info on the Optra Magnum. I am getting more and more interested in this performance beast. I would like to check with you who own Maggy, on the attitude of the service center guys and the level of comfort you get from them. Also the *** experience you had till time.

Thanks.
Old 4th June 2011, 02:12   #109
BHPian

Managed a TD of Verna, Vento and the Optra today and man Optra is one awesome car for that price. It reminded me of my 07 Accord. I'm not comparing Optra with Accord, but it definitely did remind me cuz of the power and the space inside.

They should have given the sunglass holder, electric sunroof and power folding OSRVM's in the diesel LT version... damm it

I've decided to go for Optra Diesel, had few question for the owners

1. What are the things that you dont like in stock Optra or something which you find missing

2. Did you upgrade your tires, if yes which ones? I'm thinking of MICHELIN Primacy LC 205/60 R15, was wondering if you can provide your inputs here on 205 or 195 and also if on any other brand (yokohama)

3. How much did you get the LT for, I mean the on road price. Here in Aurangabad, Maharashtra the on road price for LT is 10.67 lacs

4. If one upgrades the tire or does some upgrades like front and back parking sensors, does he/she lose any warranty?

5. The sales guy here said the Chevy Promise is not being offered anymore. They however offered some 2 yr extended warranty for 15 or 20k. Any inputs here?
Old 4th June 2011, 02:24   #110
BHPian

6. Forgot to ask what mileage are you getting at the moment, please specify your kms and how much you drive in city and highway if possible
Old 4th June 2011, 07:01   #111

Hi,
My first post. I'm looking at a sedan between 8 and 10 lakh. I'll put up the entire selection saga in another post (or create a new thread if newbies are allowed to), but one of the strongest contenders is the Optra Magnum. However, unlike most, I'm actually looking more seriously at the 1.6 petrol. I find the performance quite adequate, and it fits within my budget (the TCDi LT will come to about 10.8 lakh OTR Mumbai, and that's likely to rise by about 15k, the dealer tells me - before a likely 40k discount, and that's going to stretch my budget. The 1.6 LT will be about 9.7, same discounts).
Any advice? My running is pretty low - I have a 7-year-old Getz that's only done 50,000km, for example, so I'm not sure the diesel will be worth the extra cost. However, the diesel does feature a second airbag, though it lets go of the sunroof and power-retractable mirrors. Also, it'll probably fetch a bit of extra money as and when I sell it off. What sounds a better deal?

(BTW, I still haven't entirely decided on the Optra - waiting to see if the new Fiesta suits me better, though I really like this car a lot.)
Old 4th June 2011, 09:28   #112
BHPian

@Sreeji- I have PMed my answers to you, hope you find them useful.

On FE aspect, I have clocked 12k KMs as of now and the fule efficieny is as:

Pure City (mind Bangalore Traffic)- 12 KMPL
Highway (at avg speeds of 100-120)- 16 KMPL

In city, I drive Maggy like a baby with no heavy foot but I unleash the beast under the hood on highways

I got feedback from a fellow Optra owner that he gets 19KMPL on highway drives but at speeds of 80-90 max.

@Jakku & Roadtrip- Optra is a driver's car with superb performance. I am sure you will keep your priorities in mind before taking the final decision

On Optra per se- Buy it if you intend to keep it for 5-7 years. After 5-7 years it can actually become one's hobby car as well. Please take some time to read Raj's thread on how he has enhanced the beast to higher performance levels

Happy Motoring!
Drive or Die
(aka Sorabh)

Last edited by drive_or_die : 4th June 2011 at 09:32.
Old 4th June 2011, 10:01   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
My take is they have cut the price to undercut the Cruze, which would otherwise bring two products at the same price point.
It's a confusing statement You obviously mean that they reduced Optra's price to make way for Cruze. In other words, continue with two different product lines at different price points.

I am glad to know that Optra is not being phased out. It does not deserve to. They just need to add more features, more color options and spruce up their marketing tactics to again bring it back to competition fold. I dont know why they arent doing it.

Overall, at that price point. Even I think Optra LT is a steal ( especially for those who will keep it for 5+ years)
Old 4th June 2011, 11:55   #114
BHPian

Thanks drive_or_die,

I have heard very bad things about the service center guys and their capability and attitude. My super boss had an old Optra Petrol (some 2006 version, not sure though). I have always heard him arguing with the service center guys on an issue with his vehicle. He was facing the issue of idling RPM being very high (about 1500 - 2000) and had made this point as a complaint in every single service and use to argue with them after he gets the vehicle from service which he finally sold off for a Honda Civic.

So before taking a decision, I would like to check with the existing owners on their experience from the service center guys. Also how has been the expenses for a general service?

Thanks.
Old 4th June 2011, 13:42   #115
BHPian

Lets checkout the finances and book the Chevrolet Optra or Chevrolet Lacetti or Buick Excelle or Daewoo Nubira or Holden Viva or Suzuki Forenza. Wow it has so many names.

Anyway here is something which I didnt like about the Optra. The roof material is really cheap. You sit in the back and put your hand up and you can actually tare that material with your bare hands. Well I'm still booking the car though and will figure our something later to change that thing in some way.

Also planning to change the stock tires to MPLC 195/60 R15 probably the next day of purchase. I've kenwood amp and MTX thunder 8000 sub sitting at home doing nothing. Will put them in the Optra for sure.

I wanted to ask you guys about the color, Sourabh's grey looks really good. I'm planning to buy the LT and was wondering if you guys can suggest me some colors. How is the RED.

Is the red same as shown in this ACI video or now its a different red, please comment. Here is the video Auto Show: Optra Magnum takes on Skoda Octavia - Videos - Auto - IBNLive
Old 4th June 2011, 13:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
@Sreeji- I have PMed my answers to you, hope you find them useful.
@drive_or_die, it would be good if you could share the answers with the rest of us too. (one can understand one may not want to share all the info on a public forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_or_die View Post
I got feedback from a fellow Optra owner that he gets 19KMPL on highway drives but at speeds of 80-90 max.
Man! This guy must have serious control over himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post

So before taking a decision, I would like to check with the existing owners on their experience from the service center guys. Also how has been the expenses for a general service?

Thanks.
Information on service experiences is very welcome guys. Please share. There are pretty conflicting reports about GM/Optra service. Some are very happy and found it reasonable. There are also some stories about AC repairs mounting to ~45k in one case and some 60k+ in another.
Old 5th June 2011, 01:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I wanted to ask you guys about the color, Sourabh's grey looks really good. I'm planning to buy the LT and was wondering if you guys can suggest me some colors. How is the RED.
Looks and color is very subjective. My take on it is as follows:

1) White : Looks good, but reminds me a bit of a Taxi in the Optra. Minor scratches on the bumper/car will be quite prominent.
2) The Premium Off-White/Beige color : Looks classy. Very classy. Ideal if one is being driven around. Not for "cool dudes" . Again, minor scratches on the bumper/car will be quite prominent.
3) Red : Typically looks good in smaller cars. Looks rather good in the Optra too, but the scratches really show out. May be a nightmare to maintain.
4) Black : Again looks good but a nightmare to maintain and the scratches start to show out soon.
5) The Metallic Beige color : Scratches should not show out too easily (a la silver). Looks good, but it is one which doesn't appeal right away. Not as classy as the premium shade.
6) Sandrift Grey : Bumper scratches should not show out too easily. Looks good. Almost classy. Easily camouflaged against the road, so technically not the best shade. I think I would pick this for myself.

Also consider that darker colors will absorb more heat. The car looks a bit smaller in Red and Black. Bigger in Sandrift Grey.
Old 5th June 2011, 02:31   #118
BHPian

Thanks for your tips, I think I'll go with the grey its kinda unique as well, since there is only 1 other Grey Optra in our city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Looks and color is very subjective. My take on it is as follows:

1) White : Looks good, but reminds me a bit of a Taxi in the Optra. Minor scratches on the bumper/car will be quite prominent.
2) The Premium Off-White/Beige color : Looks classy. Very classy. Ideal if one is being driven around. Not for "cool dudes" . Again, minor scratches on the bumper/car will be quite prominent.
3) Red : Typically looks good in smaller cars. Looks rather good in the Optra too, but the scratches really show out. May be a nightmare to maintain.
4) Black : Again looks good but a nightmare to maintain and the scratches start to show out soon.
5) The Metallic Beige color : Scratches should not show out too easily (a la silver). Looks good, but it is one which doesn't appeal right away. Not as classy as the premium shade.
6) Sandrift Grey : Bumper scratches should not show out too easily. Looks good. Almost classy. Easily camouflaged against the road, so technically not the best shade. I think I would pick this for myself.

Also consider that darker colors will absorb more heat. The car looks a bit smaller in Red and Black. Bigger in Sandrift Grey.
Old 5th June 2011, 10:00   #119
BHPian

Agree on the Red part. Have a Red Optra LT. Looks good but difficult to maintain just like the black !
The typical mileages are similar to drive_or_die mentions although I used to get around 13 in Delhi/Noida but came down to 11-12 in Bangalore traffic.
Old 5th June 2011, 21:55   #120
BHPian

Interesting thread. I'm a bit late here, but I just booked the optra today, sandridt grey! Pretty excited, got 25k worth of free accessories, VKool tints on the sides and back and heat reject Vkools on the front.

7 days delivery time, so this is going to be pretty sweet. I'm not a fan of the dash though, looks so retro. Test drove the Cruze first, but the rear room just wasn't good enough for a 15L car. The Optra LT on the other hand, at 10.5? Easy enough to decide!

PS: Where is my forum etiquette! Congrats on your rocket, and drive safe

Last edited by ByDesign : 5th June 2011 at 21:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks