Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 09:51   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Can someone confirm if the 30k cash discounts are available in Delhi? Cause the member here posted from Aurangabad (please correct me if I'm wrong), I don't want to harass the sales rep without having facts. Also, a member here got insurance at Re 1. I wasn't offered that.
Hi,

I enquired at Chevy Bangalore (Sundaram Motors) and was told immediately that the current offer is 30k + corporate discount of around 11k. Howvever, no further offer on insurance etc. and did not bother checking on free accessories.

Hope this helps.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 11:06   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi,

I enquired at Chevy Bangalore (Sundaram Motors) and was told immediately that the current offer is 30k + corporate discount of around 11k. Howvever, no further offer on insurance etc. and did not bother checking on free accessories.

Hope this helps.
+1 thanks for that! I'm going to push for 30k discount now. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 7th June 2011, 13:28   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Booked a grey optra magnum diesel LT, got INR 32000 discount. I was expecting around 40 though
Congrats mate!

Quote:
Got Amp and sub ready with me and will be installing double din touchscreen dvd player with bluetooth. Please advice me on this one. I'm looking for something which processes really good sound and also has bluetooth connectivity so that I can hear the callers voice in the car speakers.
Do try out Alpine for their clean sound. And yes, do look beyond JBL's. Their Infinity range is actually rather good though. If you want to maximize value on your spend, consider Auditor speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Can someone confirm if the 30k cash discounts are available in Delhi?
If you PM me your contact no, I might be able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
One unsolicited advise that I would like to offer to you is not to get the Teflon coating and rust treatment carried out. The coating actually does more harm to the paint than anything else, there is a thread on the forum on this very subject and you can get all the details there. As for the anti rust treatment it is absolutely ridiculous. All of the cars today go through a phosphate bath where in they are completely dipped in the solution which completely eliminates any chances of rusting. Unless one really goes and bangs the car's underside exposing the sheet metal there is no need for any kind of treatment.
Thanks mate. It did seem logical that at atleast at such price points, these basic issues would be taken care of by the manufacturers. We need info like this to save ourselves from dealerships which look at extracting every penny with needless addons.

Last edited by Poitive : 7th June 2011 at 13:30. Reason: added note on the audio system.
Old 7th June 2011, 14:33   #139
Senior - BHPian

Guys considering (well, gals too) the Optra may want to read this post which talks about a major facelift in the Optra:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2379892
Old 10th June 2011, 19:34   #140

@byDesign Not sure whats the complete package you are getting however, i got it on Road @ 9.89 in the last week of April. Thts almost 53k less than the on rad price they were quoting for the LT (10.43L). That includes a corporate discount of 10K and insurance.
Old 30th June 2011, 20:55   #141

OK... looks more and more like the Optra for me (the new Fiesta, from all reports, seems to have plastics issues in the cabin, which I can't stand, plus a very firm ride). However, I'm very confused between the petrol and the diesel.
The diesel seems an obvious choice on the face of it - much quicker, two airbags, fuel prices, but my running is really quite low (my 2004 Getz has only just done 60,000km), so I don't know whether the 1.1 lakh extra is going to work out. It's also going to stretch my budget a little.
Any opinions?
Old 1st July 2011, 00:18   #142
BHPian

All up to you but I'll suggest the diesel for the same reasons you mentioned. Although you get sun roof in the petrol version and not in the diesel version. If you can accept that, then definitely the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
OK... looks more and more like the Optra for me (the new Fiesta, from all reports, seems to have plastics issues in the cabin, which I can't stand, plus a very firm ride). However, I'm very confused between the petrol and the diesel.
The diesel seems an obvious choice on the face of it - much quicker, two airbags, fuel prices, but my running is really quite low (my 2004 Getz has only just done 60,000km), so I don't know whether the 1.1 lakh extra is going to work out. It's also going to stretch my budget a little.
Any opinions?
Old 1st July 2011, 00:59   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
However, I'm very confused between the petrol and the diesel.
Any opinions?
Though I haven't done any specific calculations, I expect Diesel would make financial sense as well. Even with 60k on the odo when you sell, it would have recovered the price difference by way of lesser spending on fuel (higher FE & diesel being cheaper than petrol). You are also likely to get a higher resale on the Diesel.

Pls read this

The above thread has extensive discussion on purchasing a diesel sedan, which veered towards being an Optra centric discussion. It would give you many pointers.

Besides the financial bit, the Diesel is real fun to drive. There was talk about the petrol getting discontinued (it wasn't even reflecting in the dealers price list for a bit - not sure how it is now). Once the Aveo replacement is in, there is a good chance of it getting discontinued. So spare parts availability should be better in the Diesel.

The reasons to go in for a petrol (I haven't even driven it) are lower initial cost, possibly a lighter clutch, no turbo lag (there is a discussion about this on the link above, if you have the patience to go through the whole thread)

To me, for most people, the Diesel is a no-brainier.
Old 1st July 2011, 09:36   #144
BHPian

In the case of the Optra at least, the Petrol is a very poor engine. The dealer was telling me he sells only one petrol a month compared to about 20 diesels. He said customers were saying they get FE of 7-8 km/l in the city so thats the reason for the poor sales of petrol. If the FE is so low then you would easily make up the cost of the fuel in about three years (assuming 10k per year running). And then you would get much higher resale value. Plus the diesel engine is far better anyway
radiokidb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 11:18   #145
BHPian

Radiokidb...in case you are looking for the Optra Petrol, I would recommend you to stay away from it. The lack of positive image for the Optra is largely due to the Optra Petrol not taking off. I see your point for considering the petrol... i see that you dont do even 10000 kms per year which is less than 1000 kms per month then.

Considering that... with a difference of 1.1 lacs.. i am not sure if it would make financial sense to go for the diesel.

That be the case, you would get into a new dilemma as to which petrol vehicle you would want to consider.
Old 1st July 2011, 11:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
Radiokidb...in case you are looking for the Optra Petrol, I would recommend you to stay away from it. The lack of positive image for the Optra is largely due to the Optra Petrol not taking off. I see your point for considering the petrol... i see that you dont do even 10000 kms per year which is less than 1000 kms per month then.

Considering that... with a difference of 1.1 lacs.. i am not sure if it would make financial sense to go for the diesel.

That be the case, you would get into a new dilemma as to which petrol vehicle you would want to consider.
Thanks for the reply vishwesh but i was actually replying to roadtrip's post earlier in the thread asking about the choice between petrol and diesel.

I am fixed on the diesel (more to do with the poor petrol engine than the running which is expected to be 12km per year). The only thing that i am really pissed about with GM is that they offer sunroof and electrically foldable ORVM's only in the Petrol variant! Those two features are very useful and i would have liked to have them on the diesel variant as well
Old 13th July 2011, 22:40   #147
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2011 at 23:27. Reason: The link did not appear
Old 16th October 2011, 11:06   #148
BHPian

Hello proud owners of Magnums!

I am out looking for a 1-2 years old Magnum which has done around 30-40K Kms.
After driving 3-4 Magnums, I havn't come across a pre-owned Magnum which is not abused yet. So still looking out for a good pre-worshipped one in Kerala-Tamilnadu-Karnataka market.

What is the service interval and the average service cost of this car?
I talked to a Magnum sales guy from Kropex Bangalore and he mentioned every 5K Kms.

Oil change at 5000 kms for a new generation diesel engine seems to be an overkill.

Please reply with the average service cost of this car which has done around 30-40K kms.

Cheers!

Last edited by aa_asif : 16th October 2011 at 11:12.
Old 16th October 2011, 14:41   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
What is the service interval and the average service cost of this car?
At every 5000 Kms. Normal service charge would be around 1000.
If oil filter / Oil change is there then cost would be 2K. The costliest consumable on regular service is break pads - cost you 2.5 K for a pair only for front. This needs replacement at about every 20K. Back break pads will last a little more.

Quote:
Oil change at 5000 kms for a new generation diesel engine seems to be an overkill.
Oil change is done at alternative services (10K)

Quote:
Please reply with the average service cost of this car which has done around 30-40K kms.
Mine is done 50K, I am spending only the regular oil changes, Air filter changes.

Though the old one was not dead, I had replaced the battery once, as I use this car for long travels.

Replaced the OEM tires at 47K with Yoko AVS 550 (I had a free tire replacement under warranty at 20K).

My clutch is still going strong and not showing any issues till now.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 16th October 2011 at 14:44.
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 20:28   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Replaced the OEM tires at 47K with Yoko AVS 550
WOW!! OEM tyres ran for 47K??!! Thats really an impressive tyre mileage for such a powerful heavy car.

Thanks alot for helping with all the info

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks