Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2011, 22:20   #121
BHPian

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Interesting thread. I'm a bit late here, but I just booked the optra today, sandridt grey! Pretty excited, got 25k worth of free accessories, VKool tints on the sides and back and heat reject Vkools on the front.
With which dealer have you booked the car?
Old 5th June 2011, 22:25   #122
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate!
Sandrift Grey seems to be the colour of the season for Optras on Tbhp. All three recent purchases are the same. Even the ones who are considering it are favouring this colour. Isn't this a new colour on the Optra?

Drive this beast safely.
Old 5th June 2011, 22:26   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
With which dealer have you booked the car?
Regent Chevrolet, Mathura Road.

You can speak with Ameen Ahmed - +91 99901 83999
Old 5th June 2011, 22:30   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Regent Chevrolet, Mathura Road.

You can speak with Ameen Ahmed - +91 99901 83999
Thanks! Did you get insurance free in addition to Rs.25k worth of accessories?
Old 5th June 2011, 22:31   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Thanks! Did you get insurance free in addition to Rs.25k worth of accessories?
Hmm...he didn't mention free insurance, but he did say that if you want cash off instead of free accessories, we can remove 20k from the price of the car. We chose these accessories.

1. Vkool tints all around, heat rejection film on the front.
2. Teflon coating.
3. Anti rust treatment.
Old 5th June 2011, 22:43   #126
BHPian

Ok, I got a quote of insurance@Rs.1/ instead of accessories from a Shiva motors, GZB! The accesories you've mentioned are almost about the same cost.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:39   #127

@ drive or die,
Thanks. Really quite like the car... waiting on the new Fiesta, but that'll have to be quite special to knock the Magnum off my list I didn't actually find the Magnum a driver's car (steering and brake feedback, body control, that sort of thing), but it's very neutral and easy to drive, with superb highway stability, and that works well enough for me.

This colour thing seems quite difficult - none of the colours has it, you know what I mean? I'm quite a fan of dark greys, so the Sanddrift was my first choice too, but it's a bit too muddy somehow, especially in bright sunlight. I think I'll end up taking the Diamond White if I select the Optra, which should hide scratches and swirl marks best, without looking like a taxi.

One thing though: does the diesel LT have the square-element tail-lamps or the round ones? I hate this give-and-take between the equipment lists on the petrol and diesel LTs. eg the petrol gets a sunroof and power-retractable OSRVMs, which aren't available on the diesel, but only the diesel gets two airbags. The explanation by the SE from National Garage, Mumbai, was "there's too much space in the engine compartment."
Old 6th June 2011, 17:01   #128

Also, The Chevrolet site is utterly hopeless. The colours are nothing like reality, the pics are a) poor quality and b) a confusing mixture of shots from various trim levels (and at least one pic from the pre-Magnum Optra), and a lot of important details are left out like the size of the fuel tank, whether there are discs or drums at the back, etc. Sad.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
Also, The Chevrolet site is utterly hopeless
Apart from taking one for a test drive the site is pretty informative and the colour reproduction is not that bad.

As for the missing information the size of the fuel tank is adequate and the vehicle has disc brakes all around.

Here try this link Optra Magnum Diesel Specifications, Chevrolet Optra Magnum Diesel Technical Specifications
Old 6th June 2011, 20:50   #130

@ khoj ... thanks! My problem is with the site not showing what you actually get on the Optra. I don't have issues with them showing only the top-end version, for example, but I do take offense to them putting up pics of delicious alloys when they've shifted to some rather cheapo ones!
Old 7th June 2011, 03:08   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm...he didn't mention free insurance, but he did say that if you want cash off instead of free accessories, we can remove 20k from the price of the car. We chose these accessories.

1. Vkool tints all around, heat rejection film on the front.
2. Teflon coating.
3. Anti rust treatment.
ByDesign,

Congratulations on the new booking.
One unsolicited advise that I would like to offer to you is not to get the Teflon coating and rust treatment carried out. The coating actually does more harm to the paint than anything else, there is a thread on the forum on this very subject and you can get all the details there. As for the anti rust treatment it is absolutely ridiculous. All of the cars today go through a phosphate bath where in they are completely dipped in the solution which completely eliminates any chances of rusting. Unless one really goes and bangs the car's underside exposing the sheet metal there is no need for any kind of treatment. You would do well to save your money there and use it instead to pay up your insurance premium etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
@ khoj ... thanks! My problem is with the site not showing what you actually get on the Optra. I don't have issues with them showing only the top-end version, for example, but I do take offense to them putting up pics of delicious alloys when they've shifted to some rather cheapo ones!
Haha.. that is the case with the best of them. It is best to visit the showroom to get a real feel.

Last edited by khoj : 7th June 2011 at 03:10.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 03:28   #132
BHPian

Booked a grey optra magnum diesel LT, got INR 32000 discount. I was expecting around 40 though

Will be posting everything later may be start a new thread. Also planning to put 205/55R15 tires on the delivery day. Please let me know if you think I should or I shouldnt

Got Amp and sub ready with me and will be installing double din touchscreen dvd player with bluetooth. Please advice me on this one. I'm looking for something which processes really good sound and also has bluetooth connectivity so that I can hear the callers voice in the car speakers.

Will be changing the stock speakers to component speakers very soon. Other things will be installed are HID headlamps and fog lamps, LED lights to number plate, parking light and the interior roof light.

Much more to come, will update very soon
Old 7th June 2011, 03:50   #133
Senior - BHPian

@sreejinair,

Congratulations on your new car. It seems that you intend to change it inside and out. I would say continue with the stock tire size but change to a better make. Thicker tires while they may look good put an undue friction load on the suspension and other components including the engine and drag down the efficiency too. Get better looking alloys if you must.

As for the head unit you could look at Pioneer Car Entertainment Systems

then there are various models from Kenwood but they are quite expensive
Visual & Navigation Systems | Car Electroics | Kenwood Corporation

BTW which amplifier and subwoofer do you have. Oh and do use a good quality installation kit to power up the system.
Old 7th June 2011, 07:08   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
One unsolicited advise that I would like to offer to you is not to get the Teflon coating and rust treatment carried out. The coating actually does more harm to the paint than anything else, there is a thread on the forum on this very subject and you can get all the details there. As for the anti rust treatment it is absolutely ridiculous. All of the cars today go through a phosphate bath where in they are completely dipped in the solution which completely eliminates any chances of rusting. Unless one really goes and bangs the car's underside exposing the sheet metal there is no need for any kind of treatment. You would do well to save your money there and use it instead to pay up your insurance premium etc.
Really helpful, this.

Been test driving cars all last month tough to get a TD of an Optra diesel though, for some reason.
Old 7th June 2011, 07:49   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
ByDesign,

Congratulations on the new booking.

Haha.. that is the case with the best of them. It is best to visit the showroom to get a real feel.
Thanks very much for the info! I will call the sales rep and get these two things removed. I hold t-bhp members advice generally in very high regard and I'm very grateful. Furthermore, I will push for more discount. With members telling me about 30 - 40k discount. We were offered only 25,000 worth of accessories or only 20k cash discount. Whatever we didn't take up in accessories, was being given as a cash discount too, which seems a bit dodgy.

Can someone confirm if the 30k cash discounts are available in Delhi? Cause the member here posted from Aurangabad (please correct me if I'm wrong), I don't want to harass the sales rep without having facts. Also, a member here got insurance at Re 1. I wasn't offered that.

I'm going to speak with the sales rep today, and obviously say I want a better offer or I will go to a Chevvy dealer that gives me that.

Updates soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks