Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 12:11   #391
BHPian

re: My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator

@dot

Now since you have used both the HONDA Idemitsu 0w-30 synthetic and now the castrol edge,
what would you prefer the idemitsu or castrol ?

asking because my silver rocket is also 1year old with me and done around 9k after i bought it time to change the Oil now currently its running on idemitsu honda synthetic.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:20   #392
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post

Now since you have used both the HONDA Idemitsu 0w-30 synthetic and now the castrol edge,
what would you prefer the idemitsu or castrol ?
No doubt Castrol Edge is better. "Edge" has helped to reduce low RPM noise significantly which the Honda Idemitsu oil never did. Moreover the engine feels much more smoother. However if you have no noise issues, you may want to stick with the Idemitsu oil as it is half the price.
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:24   #393
BHPian

@dot
am still not able to figure whats the normal low rpm noise of the civic engine?
Old 2nd December 2011, 22:42   #394
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@dot
am still not able to figure whats the normal low rpm noise of the civic engine?
HAHA. For that we need to meet!

I am finding quite a few posts in other Honda or Civic based forums where owners are noticing this issue. So we are not alone!

This week has been hectic. 750Kms in 6 days. Enjoying the new found "low alternator and engine noise". On the go, the engine is absolutely silent these days. Yesterday, on the Expressway I was on pretty wrong side of 120s, my colleague on the passenger seat didnt even notice.

Last edited by dot : 2nd December 2011 at 22:46.
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:44   #395
BHPian

@dot
sure we need to meet for this.
I might come to pune just for the hec of my first drive on Mumbai-Pune expressway and nice way to find complete highway mileage of the civic.
Old 15th January 2012, 00:57   #396
BHPian

Hi Dot,
What FE figures are you getting lately with the Scorp?
Specially with the ambient temperature being pretty low.

This I ask coz a few days back I was discussing with my brother about V-TECH's having fairly better FEs than contemporary petrol engines.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:41   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi Dot,

This I ask coz a few days back I was discussing with my brother about V-TECH's having fairly better FEs than contemporary petrol engines.
Let me get my nose in for this question regarding my MT Civic. dot's car is an AT, so he will put in his figures.

Just got back from a 550 kms return trip on past weekend. As the kinda mood I drive my car in, the FE seemed to be responding in the very same way. Push it hard and the FE drops, drive it like in a 'just cruising' mode and it astonishes you like anything!

For the first 250 kms, Gunning the car at silly speeds, at least 50 or more () redline sessions in 2nd and 3rd gears et al. The car gulped 36.8 litres of fuel!!!

While, at the return journey, 300 kms, same car, same road, same driver albeit the a bit sedate on the right foot, and the car manages to get me home in ~22 litres of gasoline.

Hope it gives you some idea about this little engine's abilities.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 16:48   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
No doubt Castrol Edge is better. "Edge" has helped to reduce low RPM noise significantly which the Honda Idemitsu oil never did. Moreover the engine feels much more smoother. However if you have no noise issues, you may want to stick with the Idemitsu oil as it is half the price.
@dot - Apologies for being OT. Has GTO posted a thread on his long term ownership review of his civic? I donot know who to ask other than GTO. He seems to he engaged.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:33   #399
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi Dot,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
For the first 250 kms, Gunning the car at silly speeds, at least 50 or more redline sessions in 2nd and 3rd gears et al. The car gulped 36.8 litres of fuel!!!

While, at the return journey, 300 kms, same car, same road, same driver albeit the a bit sedate on the right foot, and the car manages to get me home in ~22 litres of gasoline.
Thats a 6.5 - 13.5 type range ( wow I can do division).
Monaro, I get the higher end of this range in highways, regardless of season. Folks here have achieved much more (15- 18 types), but that kind of sedate driving is not possible with me. Typical speeds range in lower hundreds. And I make sure that the Vtec light remains off

But in Pune winter, I do see Scorponok giving about 0.5-1 more on FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Has GTO posted a thread on his long term ownership review of his civic? I donot know who to ask other than GTO. He seems to he engaged.
I have not seen it either. Thats probably a good thing as it means that car is as normal as one can expect. For more insights on long term ownership experiences do continue to follow the long term thread.

To update, enjoying the car to the brim. Some of us take Scorpo around Pune city at dead times of the night with music at full volumes. Glad that we could upgrade the music thingy, it was worth it.

Many highway runs have been executed with swift precision. Many mall trips, grocery trips are done with cool smoothness.

Once the car's rear right tyre ran over a divider stone during a sharp turn. It made lots of noise. I thought I have busted the right rocker panel. But when we stopped to inspect, there was no damage. This was about month ago. Few hours back, we are driving on the same road. Noted that the stone was in the same position as Scorpo left it that day.

What else... Played with the air filter the other day. Took off the airbox and the filter and tried to run the car. The engine would cough and die. Probably the ECU didnt know how to handle so much air volume! Reset the TCU as per Akshay1234's find. It didnt change any driving characteristics. Meant things were pretty normal.

All is well. Thats the update so far.
dot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 12:06   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To update, enjoying the car to the brim.
All is well. Thats the update so far.
Good to hear that...
Same here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
What else... Played with the air filter the other day. Took off the airbox and the filter and tried to run the car. The engine would cough and die.
I'm getting Stock replacement K&N Airfilter this weekend, I shall let you know if I find any marginal improvement in Power(Low end torque).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
Reset the TCU as per Akshay1234's find. It didnt change any driving characteristics. Meant things were pretty normal.
Same here ... Tried the steps provided in the maintainence thread, frankly didn't find any difference in driving conditions at all.
Probably our car might have already been running in the same spec as a RESET would do
Old 9th February 2012, 14:41   #401
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I'm getting Stock replacement K&N Airfilter this weekend, I shall let you know if I find any marginal improvement in Power(Low end torque).
Very eager to know the outcome. Most people replace the system with a CAI, not many reports can be found for stock replacement. Do let us know the K&N model number that you procured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post

Tried the steps provided in the maintainence thread, frankly didn't find any difference in driving conditions at all.
Probably our car might have already been running in the same spec as a RESET would do
LOL. Its true.

BTW, the headlight leveller and "headlight on" warning chime is not working. Need to take Scorpo to the electrical garage where ICE installation was done.
Old 9th February 2012, 14:55   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do let us know the K&N model number that you procured.
Dot,
I'm getting it from US for almost 1/3rd of the price that is quoted here in India for Stock replacement K&N Filter. I was quoted around Rs 5300+ (I don't remember the exact amount) 2 months back from Methods Automotive.
Part number is 33-2342.
Link
http://www.amazon.com/33-2342-High-P...ef=lh_di_t_dup
Total cost is $38.70 +$10.5 for Express 2-day shipping (free shipping is available)
The price is almost equivalent to Stock Honda Airfilter.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 19:01   #403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What else... Played with the air filter the other day. Took off the airbox and the filter and tried to run the car. The engine would cough and die. Probably the ECU didnt know how to handle so much air volume! Reset the TCU as per Akshay1234's find. It didnt change any driving characteristics. Meant things were pretty normal.
Quite odd, I found a difference everytime I did it (which was every few months) and the accelerator felt a bit more sensitive and the car was pulling better. Noticed the same even on the Bimmer. You might want to try it again and pay a bit more attention.
Old 9th February 2012, 20:47   #404
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Quite odd, I found a difference everytime

You might want to try it again and pay a bit more attention.

Well, I did change the parameters a bit. Instead of 30 sec of pressing the accelerator, I pressed it for 60 sec. And I did open the door maybe within the 2 min timeframe.

Will try again, mate.
Old 9th February 2012, 21:00   #405
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Well, I did change the parameters a bit. Instead of 30 sec of pressing the accelerator, I pressed it for 60 sec. And I did open the door maybe within the 2 min timeframe.

Will try again, mate.
30 seconds is good enough, and don't open the door or turn the key off after. Just wait 2 minutes with the ignition on, and then start the car straight away.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks