Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 15:59   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK

Congrats Verditer
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
OE tyres at 100,000kms is unheard of for me. I wonder what would be the reasons that contribute to such long tread life ? Maybe because most of your running is in the highways where braking situations are minimal ?
The highway runs is one part. Planned, slow stops help. Importantly, you shouldnt be running much on cement roads.

I would have cracked the 1L mark on my OE Bridgestone 689's (Sumo), but sold it at lil short of 80k.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 17:03   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Congrats Verditer

OE tyres at 100,000kms is unheard of for me. I wonder what would be the reasons that contribute to such long tread life ? Maybe because most of your running is in the highways where braking situations are minimal ?
Yes, I'm happy and glad that they have lasted this long. I'll share some photos soon.

80% of my drives are on highways. That could be the main reason....
Old 10th January 2014, 19:19   #153
BHPian

Hi Cool Dube - Yes, I think Tyre Empire is good. Though I'm not technically very good at identifying good and bad alignment, I am happy with the job they do. Usually I decline WA/WB at KHT when giving for service, and do it separately at Tyre Empire.

Do give them a try to know yourself.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hey Suresh - is Tyre Empire good for WA/WB of Safari? Have you been getting it done regularly from them? I am not too happy with the WA/WB done by KHT as a part of last service they did in November. In fact, I have left it again with them today just for getting it re-done as the car is pulling to the left.

Awesome!! Congratulations - 1L km in 3 years is some running... I am at 36K km in 4 years BTW, I keep seeing your Safari around iGate - not many TN70s around here you see
Old 26th March 2014, 16:14   #154
BHPian

105000 km service was done on 21st March. Odo was at ~105400.

Sedimenter was replaced per schedule during this service.
Starter motor gave up the ghost the previous day, she was push started to go to KHT.
Starter motor was repaired fully under warranty.

SA advised to service clutch within another 5000 kms and suspension/tie rods etc in another 15000 kms.

Tyres are holding good still so no concerns on that front at this time
Old 4th August 2014, 10:47   #155
BHPian

Quick update - At 114,500 KMS on ODO now. Did Wheel alignment and balancing over weekend, replaced both fog lights as they were broken for some time by flying debri (stones especially from construction trucks sic)

May need to get clutch worked upon in next few thousands.

OEM Tyres still doing ok. May stretch to 125,000kms I think.

Otherwise, she is doing great and approaching 4 years in November.

Last edited by verditer : 4th August 2014 at 10:49.
verditer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 11:00   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
OEM Tyres still doing ok. May stretch to 125,000kms I think.
That's amazing! Are they Bridgestone Dueler or some other brand? Also, it's a testament to the discipline with which you must have rotated, aligned and balanced the tyres during your vehicle ownership

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:17   #157
BHPian

At 118,000 kms on the ODO now.

Last week the Check Engine light came on. At KHT they diagnosed a Radiator Leak issue and the Timing Belt needed a change. It had some shreds on the edges.

Timing Belt was replaced (second time), and rear brake liners were replaced for first time.

Planning to fix the Radiator issue over the 120,000kms service. Hope to get it fixed under warranty.

Did a Chennai round trip with family couple of days ago and she was a breeze.

OEM tyres holding ok, but one of the rear ones has started skidding with hard braking.
Time is running out for the tyres now, I guess. :-)
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:24   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Congrats Suresh ! I see one more passionate Safari owner grooming !
Passionate he is! 118 thousand kms in 4 years is impressive IMO.

Suresh, you really induced confidence in people who are scared to go ahead with Safari as their next purchase. Thanks for your regular updates, they really are helpful.
Old 22nd September 2014, 18:54   #159
Senior - BHPian

This must be some record of sorts for the longest lasting OE tyres ? Can you pls post some tread pics

Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:32   #160
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a well documented thread. Congos on crossing the magical number.A couple of weeks back I had rented a safari from zoom cars.This was my first stint of driving an Safari. Must say i got floored by the way the"Truck" went over potholes and bad roads. It could easily glide over and would hardly whimper.
But I did notice one thing,the truck could easily take a left turn as compared to a right turn. Is this problem present in the safari,as i think I saw you mentioning this problem somewhere in the thread.
I am planning to replace my 2010 swift next year and am seriously considering the safari as I need a decent tourer.Since post my marriage 1.5 years ago I have raked in an additional 25k on the odo
Old 10th November 2014, 09:32   #161
BHPian

The truck is cooling her heels at Hosur home for last 1 month as I'm out of country.

Worry is, the extended warranty is ending on Nov 15th or so, but need to fix the radiator issue under warranty before it expires. I'm going to check with KHT if they can come to Hosur and pick her up for the repair. (I dont trust the Hosur TASS and KHT Ramesh knows my truck well, all past services done at KHT).

narayan - Will post pictures once I get back in few weeks.

rakesh_r - yes, the pulling left problem is slightly there. Maybe that is why it is easier to turn left, than turn right? But not a big deal I think. Never felt it to be an issue or concern. With the safar, take her as she is. If you're a perfectionist, she is not for you. :-)
Old 5th December 2014, 06:21   #162
BHPian

120,000kms service was completed yesterday. The radiator issue seems to be a non-issue for now. Tie rods have been replaced and she is feeling much better now. Earlier there was lot of play in the suspension and she felt very old when taken through pot holes/bad roads. Now she is back to her lively drive and I can go over bad roads and potholes without having to slow down much...

The only pending things to be taken care of are the clutch and the tires. Will do one by one as they are not major issues at this time.

Now extended warranty is over. So on to a life with a Safari beyond extended warranty.
verditer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 17:08   #163
BHPian

Verditer
I appreciate your "time to time" update on your thread.
I too wanted to do so, but, missing it due to other priorities. Will do one shortly.

1.2L on ODO is great and promising. I am sure, you are a good reference for a well maintained and niggle-free Safari.

Prem.
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:07   #164
BHPian

Thanks Prem. Yes it has been a pleasure with her last 4 years.

I wouldn't say the experience was niggle free, had my share of niggles and continue to, but I'm not a perfectionist, and do not mind these minor shortcomings of the Safari.
More important is to enjoy her for what she is.

Update - Replaced front brake pads last week. I think this is the 3rd replacement after OEM pads wore out. The pads were purchased in Hosur for Rs.1450 TVS make, and fitted by KHT free of charge.
I think last pad change was around 75k, and each set has lasted roughly 45000kms.
Old 22nd December 2014, 10:57   #165
Senior - BHPian

This is fantastic Suresh. My truck completed 4 years, and did 65K and I had to change my tyres :(

Really love your periodic updates and am sure we can expect them to keep coming. Bests.

Most Viewed