Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 15:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

I took the car to nearby battery shop which is about 1-2 kms away from my home and during this much driving I noticed the battery indicator kept turning on when the revs were low like say when gear was neutral or low speed but as i revved a bit the light went off.

The guy checked the water levels - all was ok with battery. Next he took the meter to check the voltage and it was around 11.50 on idle and even on full acceleration it hardly went to 11.60.

He also checked the alternator belt which was ok. So it turns out to be a faulty alternator and he suggested me to take the car where I get it service to rectify the problem. He told alternator is not charging the battery properly.

But next 10-15 days, I will be bit busy so I am taking out my i10 out of the garage and dust it off to use it for few days for local commutes and I will get my waggy back in shape after 10-15 days.

So what could really be the problem with alternator? Will I have to get it entirely replaced? I will be taking it to maruti svc only where I always get it serviced. I need to get breakpads also changed as they are lacking the bite now. Odo reading is 49,100 kms and they are stock pads.

Any suggestion guys on this alternator issue?

Last edited by bluevolt : 16th December 2014 at 15:41.
Old 16th December 2014, 15:48   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
So what could really be the problem with alternator? Will I have to get it entirely replaced?

Any suggestion guys on this alternator issue?
Your WagonR has Lucas TVS alternator.

They have authorized service centers all over the country and they will be the best folks to assess the condition of the alternator.

I am quite surprised if the alternator has failed this early. Mine is stock and charging the second battery (after OE) in its 9th year and more than 220k on the ODO.

Check the Alternator belt tension which should be 6-7mm for the F10D.

Quote:
LUCAS INDIAN SERVICE
NEW DELHI
4-E/4, Jhandewalan Extn. New Delhi-110 055
STD: 011
Telephone1: 23682116
Telephone2: 23634155
Fax: 011-23524685
E-Mail: rkk@lisnorth.com
At the same time, you may also want to connect a similar spec battery (healthy) from a different car, check the voltage at terminals when idling and revving to rule out the battery itself.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th December 2014 at 15:50.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

In most cases what is done usually? I think if it is repairable only these tvs guys or some outside car electrician will be able to do so. Maruti SVC will prefer to replace it only. I just want Peace of mind and reliability.

Any idea about the price of a new one? Also should I take my car to outside car repair guy or Maruti svc. I never let my car go in hands of non-maruti svc people. Got to change brake pads as well.

Last edited by bluevolt : 16th December 2014 at 18:53.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:56   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In most cases what is done usually? I think if it is repairable only these tvs guys or some outside car electrician will be able to do so. Maruti SVC will prefer to replace it only. I just want Peace of mind and reliability.

Any idea about the price of a new one? Also should I take my car to outside car repair guy or Maruti svc. I never let my car go in hands of non-maruti svc people. Got to change brake pads as well.
The problem you are facing is a simple one. I would give the alternator benefit of doubt for now. Can't conk this soon. Take it to the battery mechanic again, ask him to plonk a different battery and then measure the terminals again.

If things look same after this, take it to MASS to check the belt tension/slippage.

Not sure about the cost of a new alternator as I never replaced one till date but don't be too worried for now till proper troubleshooting is done.
Old 16th December 2014, 20:49   #140
Senior - BHPian

Ok thanks parag, I am bit relieved to hear this. Hopefully alternator will be ok and there may be some minor issue only.

I will use other car meanwhile as don't want to get stranded on road. Will get it rectified by month's end & update about the issue.
Old 31st December 2014, 15:25   #141
Senior - BHPian

Started my WagonR today after 15 days, it started with single crank with battery charging light turning off after starting.

Drove the car for 10-15 kms and it was all normal. Still got it checked from a near by auto electrician. He confirmed that battery is OK and alternator is also working as of now with voltage now around 14.25 on engine idle.

The problem could be only diagnosed by removing and opening the alternator which requires at least 2-3 hours so the mechanic told to continue using the car as it is normal now but keep a check on the light, if it turns on again and stay on continuously then come and get the alternator repaired.

I hope the alternator stays ok like this only.
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:21   #142
Senior - BHPian

Charging indicator came back again today while driving, it goes off when I keep the RPM very high but under normal driving rpm range it stays.

Will visit the mechanic again asap and get the problem sorted out.
Old 9th January 2015, 19:06   #143
Senior - BHPian

As I mentioned earlier about the intermittent glowing of charging light while driving and sometimes going off upon driving at high RPM, I got the problem rectified today.

Took the car to nearby auto electrician and he opened the alternator. Voltage was around 12.60 when the charging light appeared and it jumped to around 13.60 when the light went off upon acceleration. Usually the light used to go off when the car was driven for longer distances like more than 10-15 km but used to come again later next day.

There was no as such major fault in the alternator according to the servicing guy. There was a little part(see last pic, marked with white arrow) which he was referring as 'cut-out' has developed some problem which he fixed using some 'jugaad' (I don't know how he actually fixed it, but its ok now). This particular part cost Rs. 1500 according to him. And also he said that this alternator by TVS is also not available anymore because its discontinued by the company so I have to get it repaired only, new one will not be available.

Total charges = Rs. 400.

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag4423.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag4434.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag4435.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag4440.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag4441.jpg

Voltage after repairing was around 14.25-14.30. Battery is ok. Current Odo Reading is 49160 kms. Battery will turn three years old in May, 2015 and my WagonR will be having its 8th Birthday in April, 2015 and as the car is ageing I am falling in love with it even more and never feel the need to sell this one to replace it with anything available in the market!

Last edited by bluevolt : 9th January 2015 at 19:09.
Old 9th January 2015, 19:58   #144
BANNED

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier about the intermittent glowing of charging light while driving and sometimes going off upon driving at high RPM, I got the problem rectified today.
Good that the problem has been solved and also the battery is in good health.

One question, will the problem recur again or is it a permanent jugaad fix?

WagonR is one such that nothing can go wrong with it unless badly maintained. Keep the odo clicking, Happy birthday in Advance to the Waggie!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 23:30   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

One question, will the problem recur again or is it a permanent jugaad fix?
He has assured me that there will not be any problem. I will keep an eye on the indicator. Rest, let's hope it stays ok.
Old 31st May 2015, 19:22   #146
Senior - BHPian

A bit of expenditure spree on wagonr.

Someone stole battery of my car last week by force opening of the bonnet and my 3 year old amaron battery was gone. It must have worked for at least one more year. In the morning, my dad tried to unlock the car but there was no response from the remote, we thought the remote's battery got conked off, unlocked the car using the key and tried starting but heck the car's battery was gone!

Bought a new Amaron battery for Rs. 3300 + got a custom security case built for battery protection in future for Rs. 500. Battery mechanic told me it is quite easy to force open swift and wagonr's bonnets and there are huge number of battery theft reports from these cars, so he recommended to install a case for battery protection.

Total damage = Rs. 3800

And after a day while getting back from work, I noticed a leak from the radiator while getting tyre air pressure checked. Got the car checked from neighborhood mechanic - he checked the radiator and concluded that the radiator cannot be repaired, it has to be replaced with a new one.

Now there were two options for the new radiator - mgp was for RS. 2400 and another one from a company called 'Banco' which cost Rs. 1400. I chose the later one.

Expenditure on radiator work = Rs 1450 + Rs 360(2 liter coolant) + Rs. 300(labour charges) + Rs. 100(ac condensor cleaning) + Rs. 100(radiator cap) = Rs. 2250.

Total expenditure on car in last one week = Rs. 6,000

I am not sure about the reason for radiator leakage - though considering the age of the car (turned 8 years old last month) I think it was bound to happen someday.

In double thoughts - whether to continue with this car or start looking for replacement considering the extra costs incurring excluding the normal service costs to keep the car up and running. Heart says to keep it, Mind says to look for a change!

Right now WagonR has crossed 50,000 KMs and delivers around 11-12 KMPL.

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6357.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6359.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6360.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6362.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6367.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6378.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6372.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6373.jpg

My Trusted Workhorse - Maruti Suzuki WagonR-imag6375.jpg
Old 31st May 2015, 21:22   #147
BANNED

Quote:
Someone stole battery of my car last week by force opening of the bonnet and my 3 year old amaron battery was gone.
Now that's a new thing to me. Stealing a battery?! What on earth did it make him think to do that and I hope the car isn't damaged much due to forced opening?!

Quote:
In double thoughts - whether to continue with this car or start looking for replacement considering the extra costs incurring excluding the normal service costs to keep the car up and running. Heart says to keep it, Mind says to look for a change!
Is the WagonR troubling you or any niggles?

If not let it be with you to it genuinely starts giving you a tough time. You'll miss this car once you let it go. One brilliant VFM car for anyone.
Old 31st May 2015, 21:28   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

So how do you take out the battery if you need to ?

And would you leave the metal exposed ?
Old 31st May 2015, 23:39   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Now that's a new thing to me. Stealing a battery?! What on earth did it make him think to do that and I hope the car isn't damaged much due to forced opening?!

Is the WagonR troubling you or any niggles?

If not let it be with you to it genuinely starts giving you a tough time. You'll miss this car once you let it go. One brilliant VFM car for anyone.
In delhi, stealing of batteries from cars and even bikes is pretty common incident these days. In my locality, I have seen 4-5 cases personally & out of them were my neighbours wagonr and swift involved only. My battery guy told me it is very easy to force open the bonnets of wagonr and swift. The hook which locks the bonnet is attached with a rod that is accessible through the front wheel open area and a little bit of fiddling around and the bonnet is open without actually breaking anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So how do you take out the battery if you need to ?

And would you leave the metal exposed ?
The case will be removed by the welding guy only. I hope there will be no need to take out the battery at least for next 3-4 years till the time it runs out of juice.

The metal will be like this only, though I have applied jelly on battery terminals.
Old 10th October 2015, 14:47   #150
Senior - BHPian

Taking WagonR for 54k service tomorrow. Anything specific I need to take care off?

Also planning to get all 4 breaks replaced. How much the brake pads/drums costs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks