Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 09:56   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 134,000+ kms crunched & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi Ace,

Happy New Year 2012.

How's your shark performing?

Were you by any chance in Rohini, Delhi on Saturday (7 january)? I spotted similar car here but didn't noticed the registration number except that it was Haryana registered.
Hi Bluevolt, a very happy new year to you as well. Wish this year bring tonnes of happiness and prosperity in our lives.

Back to the car; lol. As GTO puts it, no updates is usually a good thing, isn't it!

Shark is doing great. Odo reads 57,9xx right now. That is 23,0xx kms since I brought the car home 354 days ago (thats averaging, averaging 65 kms a day!!!). Many great moments, many happy mamories et al.

Issues to report:

- A minor rattle in the roof panel during cold starts in the morning.
- Don't exactly know the reason but sometimes, the idle RPMs drop from 800 to like 600ish, all by its own and the car shudders. I do not understand this at all, because there is no certain timings for this to happen. I have a video which I made few weeks back, will post it to explain what I am on about here!

- Was invited by BMW india to attend special session of M5 launch on 6th January. Pargati Maidan was a nightmare to reach, and an Alto banged into my car from behind. The guy was running his car without AC I guess and car was completely fogged out. He couldn't see my stationary car at red light and hit it from behind. Result: my car's rear skirt is slightly broken.

Will try to get it fixed whenever I have time.

Other than that, no major problems, car redlines like a charm and sees these sessions quite frequently! The more I drive, the more I fall in love with my Shark!
Old 10th January 2012, 11:29   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
- Don't exactly know the reason but sometimes, the idle RPMs drop from 800 to like 600ish, all by its own and the car shudders.
Could be the radiator-fan switching on (and off).
It is similar to that of the AC-Compressor switching on, a drop in rpm and a minor shudder.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 12:40   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Could be the radiator-fan switching on (and off).
It is similar to that of the AC-Compressor switching on, a drop in rpm and a minor shudder.
manim, it is normal? Because I am yet to fathom when and how it occurs! Never the less, it is annoying. Any remadies for the same?

@ bluevolt: Sorry I missed this part in previous post! No, I wasn't in Rohini recently. Must have been some other car (the Gurgaon one!).

Last edited by Ace F355 : 10th January 2012 at 12:42.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:57   #424
BHPian

Quote:
manim, it is normal? Because I am yet to fathom when and how it occurs! Never the less, it is annoying. Any remadies for the same?
The radiator-fan is controlled by a thermostat and is switched on and off as necessary.
So it is normal.

I think in one way it is a compliment to the Civic for being very refined, since in other noisy/shuddering cars this cannot be detected!
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 13:27   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Issues to report:
- Don't exactly know the reason but sometimes, the idle RPMs drop from 800 to like 600ish, all by its own and the car shudders.

- ...an Alto banged into my car from behind. The guy was running his car without AC I guess and car was completely fogged out...

-The more I drive, the more I fall in love with my Shark!
Hey Ace,

Been quite sometime...since I had Shark fin soup !

Glad to read about Shark's progress.

- About that RPM and shuddering - I think dot here here had some issue of this kind or nearabouts this on his Civic which was ultimately traced to some issue with the belt tensioner. May be you can check his thread or contact him to check out the similarities in the symptoms and possible cures.

- Amen to that ! Tell me about it. I think all auto freaks are alike. Do you also get grumpy on the days you can't take your wheels out for a drive ?!!

Have a fabulous 2012 with the Shark !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 20:39   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The radiator-fan is controlled by a thermostat and is switched on and off as necessary.
So it is normal.

I think in one way it is a compliment to the Civic for being very refined, since in other noisy/shuddering cars this cannot be detected!
Here is the video of the rpm fluctuations in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hey Ace,

Been quite sometime...since I had Shark fin soup !

Glad to read about Shark's progress.

- About that RPM and shuddering - I think dot here here had some issue of this kind or nearabouts this on his Civic which was ultimately traced to some issue with the belt tensioner. May be you can check his thread or contact him to check out the similarities in the symptoms and possible cures.

- Amen to that ! Tell me about it. I think all auto freaks are alike. Do you also get grumpy on the days you can't take your wheels out for a drive ?!!

Have a fabulous 2012 with the Shark !
Guderian

Thank you so much for your wishes and I reciprocate the same to you.

Good to see you back again. Yes, it has been a while. I have also been a silent spectator of Togo Channel for quite some time now. I have seen posts in dot's thread. I will visit my mechanic soon and will take his help to find out more about the issue. About the levels of freakishness, yes we are all the same. But thats why we are on Team BHP, right? Same sentiments on one platform! Recently, I was explaining to arvi86 how do I miss those days when I am traveling and the Shark sits at home! It is a blissful feeling to come back and take her our for a spin after a while.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 21:41   #427
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the video of the rpm fluctuations in my car.
I have a feeling that it is due to the CAI behaving funny in the cold weather.

Once I had removed the air filter and left the air box open, just to see what happens. The car would idle at 800RPM for a couple of seconds, then come to 600, then shudder and die.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 10:27   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I have a feeling that it is due to the CAI behaving funny in the cold weather.

Once I had removed the air filter and left the air box open, just to see what happens. The car would idle at 800RPM for a couple of seconds, then come to 600, then shudder and die.
Hi dot, how are you doing buddy? Hope 2012 is going great so far.

Yep, that could be one of the potential reasons! Why, because it has been around 6500 kms since I cleaned the filter last time. And as you may know, Civic's engine bay accumulates a lot of dirt. Will clean the filter on the weekend and will report back. Thanks for the inputs.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 18:46   #429
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi dot, how are you doing buddy? Hope 2012 is going great so far.
Doing fine man, new year good so far. Hows yours?

How did your paint plan go? Has it been shelved or just dormant. Now the bug has begun to hit me a bit. Dual colored Civics may look good with some base colors specially white, but I think no color will go well with the Silver Blue color of the Scorponok.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:17   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Doing fine man, new year good so far. Hows yours?

How did your paint plan go? Has it been shelved or just dormant. Now the bug has begun to hit me a bit. Dual colored Civics may look good with some base colors specially white, but I think no color will go well with the Silver Blue color of the Scorponok.
I am doing fine as well, just a little bit busy for my own good!

If you know it from our earlier discussions, I had decided to keep the original CBP paint on my car. Also, no duel colors for me. And for Scorponok, I think any color will be kinda overkill since Silver Blue is a very sober looking color by its own means.

One thing I have learnt over the months after spending a hell lot on maintaining my car as prestine as possible is this; in NCR, you can't do it on a regular basis. So, I will be sticking to the more convenient one time a year policy!
Old 19th January 2012, 23:30   #431
Senior - BHPian

Tomorrow, January 20th, 2012: My Shark will be completing her 1st year with me. It is precisely the same day one year ago, I brought her home. The journey till now has been fascinating, thrilling and memorable.

I remember, in the sunny afternoon of past Jan 20th when I took the delivery of my car and all the nervousness I was having, while driving the car slowly and carefully through mad Gurgaon traffic. Then the first time I found an open road, and the blissful tingling this car gave me! Eh...

I have driven many big names in the car world and yet, this little Honda felt special. It makes me feel in the same way, even today!

Why? I don't really know...

May be because it was my first car in India, bought with my hard earned money!
May be because I used to drool over it since 2006!
May be I could not think of anything else in my budget, that could thrill me as much as this car!
May be because I am unable to think of anything this side of big three Germans to consider as a proper upgrade from this!

Still, don't know!

Explaining this car is like explaining someone's first ever love. Does anyone has a definition? Does anyone has any explanation of that?I am not clear even today, why did I buy this car? All I know is, it had been a dream to own this one for long and I fulfilled my own dream, thats it!

One year and the car hasn't disappointed me even once. It has been constantly being pushed every day like anything and it has never complained. A few times, it has been slightly demanding like a mistress, but never complaining.

I am posting one pic from my old archives. It is when I took my car to my home for the first time! On the left are my parents, in the middle is me with my younger sis! The day I will not forget, ever!
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0147.jpg

One year and 24644 kms later, the motoring nirvana still continues...

I am quoting Akshay's post about his V6 Accord to express most of my feelings about my car, except I am changing to 3rd gear after 105!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The cold air nowadays makes such a huge difference on the car. The engine feels so much more comfortable, and man the way it accelerates in the nights nowadays. First gear there is no traction and 2nd gears from 70-115kmph is over before you know it. The intake is sounding brilliant too and is very loud. Infact if I' revving it and there are people crossing the road ahead they just run for their lives like some supercar is hurting towards them.

Once the speed picks up, and the K&N changes the car from a refined V6 Dr.Jekyll to a bloody loud Mr.Hyde.
I was planning to do a photoshoot and make another collage for my car's 1st birthday, unfortunately my camera's lens screwed up. Never the less, I made another one using some old pics. I hope you guys like it. Enjoy the collage while I am going out for another memorable long drive to enjoy my Shark in the cool weather of this beautiful night!!! Take care you all and good night.
My Grey Shark: Honda Civic V-MT. 142,500 kms crunched. EDIT: Sold!-my-sharks-collage.jpg

I will post 60,000 kms update soon with more details.
Ace F355 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 10:17   #432
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations ....
I know it feels quite nostalgic owning this car.
Anyways I WISH SHARK MANY MORE HAPPY N MEMORABLE MILES...
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 12:21   #433
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ace,
Time sure flies...
Congratulations on completing an eventful year with Shark. Hope you have many more of these Sharky anniversaries !
The collage looks smart. Thanks for sharing.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2012, 19:08   #434
Team-BHP Support

Hey ace, how are the A-drive R1 tires? I just had to get a set for my Laura because nothing else was available in stock at all. In terms of grip how are they?
Old 26th February 2012, 12:57   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hey ace, how are the A-drive R1 tires? I just had to get a set for my Laura because nothing else was available in stock at all. In terms of grip how are they?
What size did you get Akshay? Rohit's civic is running on 225/45/R17, and he is quite happy with the overall grip levels. I think rohit is out of town and will be back in a week or so..
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks