Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2011, 14:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: RRP Hyperdrive in a friend's Mitsu Cedia

Hey all

Thanks for all your advice.

RRP is closed on sunday so i will tell him to talk to Sangeeth regarding the bigger turbo. But one thing is for sure that they only stock GT 20, 22, 25 turbos. Lets see what Sangeeth has to say about a bigger turbo, but yes it is true that the parts can handle a lot more

He hasnt received the parts list till now, i mean the exact model number. I will post the Haltech info as soon as possible.

And as far as the AWD'ing the car is concerned, its a hassle, and plus its a brand new factory car, so he doesnt wana take a risk with it right now.

Will also tell him to talk to RRP about strut bars etc

EDIT: Most likely, It is the platinum sport version.

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 24th April 2011 at 14:32.
Old 24th April 2011, 14:31   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
My friend, Anmol, wanted to buy a new powerful car. His options were:

1) Nissan 370z
2) Lancer Evolution X
3) Land Rover Discovery 4
Is this the same friend?

Quote:
So then it was decided to buy a second hand Mitsubishi Cedia.
Quote:
His dad's decision, because the resale of cedia, second owner, second hand, would have been very less.
Your friend needs to spend more time on Team-BHP . First, despite having a 50 lakh budget, he eventually went looking for a used Cedia. Second, a brand new Cedia is a depreciation disaster (from his Dad's POV). Spending 50% of the market value on Mods makes it even worse. I'm not able to understand why the son went looking for a used Cedia (despite having a 50 lakh budget), and why the father would bother with resale (despite spending 5 lakhs on modifying the car). Needless to say, if resale is a priority, used would have made more sense in the first place. 1.5 year old Cedias go for 1/2 their MRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Those can easily take upwards of 350 with a bigger turbo.
Personally, with a FWD, I would prefer 220 BHP over 350. I've driven a 350 BHP City and can't say that I enjoyed the experience (exciting as it was, but not something I'd want to live with).

IMHO, it's a myth that the more powerful a car, the more enjoyable it is to drive. Sure, I like fast cars, yet equally I like cars with balance. Give me a 180 - 200 BHP Octavia vRS any day, any time, any driving condition over a 300+ BHP City. Where the vRS would have superior dynamics (especially with bolt-on suspension mods), steering feel, braking and stability, the light Japanese car would be a torque-steering, fumbling around corners, unstable vehicle. For an enjoyable 600 km drive to Goa on the old roads, I'd take a vRS over a modded 300 BHP Jap any which day.

Again, the key here is balance and an all-rounded package. A vRS can easily handle 200 BHP with poise; poise which is a dream for over-tuned Japanese cars. If & when I turbo my Civic, it'll be more like an enjoyable 180 BHP than an uncontrollable 300.

Last edited by GTO : 24th April 2011 at 14:33.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 14:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Yes GTO, same friend...

He would have bought a used cedia provided it was in a good condition. But the ones that were available from Chandigarh were all accidental cars. And what RRP told him was that Cedia has a single unit Chassis and body hence it should be perfect.

The main reason to buy from chandigarh was because if it was a state-transfer car, it would have taken a lot of time for registration in chandigarh and then send back to bangalore and then back to chandigarh (2 month process ATLEAST)

And no resale is not at all a question. And the reason for shifting from EVO's and 370 was that he got admission in USA. Going this august. So did not want to spend SOO much which he wouldn't use after 3 months for 4 more years
Old 24th April 2011, 14:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post

And no resale is not at all a question. And the reason for shifting from EVO's and 370 was that he got admission in USA. Going this august. So did not want to spend SOO much which he wouldn't use after 3 months for 4 more years
Awesome man ! Spending a ton of cash on doing up the car the way he wanted - only to keep it stagnating for 4 years ?
normally_crazy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 16:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't throw around transmission loss numbers for fun or to exaggerate brake horsepower claims.
I wasnt throwing around numbers for fun and have i no intention to exaggerate bhp claims.I took a 25% transmission loss,which in hindsight i realised was too much.

Sorry for jumping the gun.

Last edited by avishar : 24th April 2011 at 16:54.
Old 24th April 2011, 17:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

This is going to be a build to watch !! I can already imagine what a normal Cedia would feel in front of this Monster build. What was the whp on the Turbo drive package ? Just for comparison sake..

Will look forward to all the progress, one question though what Neons are we talking of here ? Like the underbody colored lights & inside cabin glowing green ? Stuff like that ?

Cheers
Old 24th April 2011, 23:21   #22
BHPian

Interesting build! Im a noob at this but i have a few questions.

1. Wont the stock Cedia pistons and con rods be able to take 7psi?
2. What oil will they be using?
3.Will the crank bearings be able to take the load? (we have had multiple big end bearing failures at a similar whp - Car has been sitting at the garage since september 2010 waiting fro bearings etc *sigh*)
4. Have you'll considered better tyres?
5. Have you'll given a turbo timer a thought?
6. Has anyone tried the Haltech ECU? How would you rate the RD 0601 as compared to the Haltech?

Having gone through a similar build, id say the price seems pretty good!

Cheers!
Old 24th April 2011, 23:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey

The turbo timer is there and is included in the cost of the build.
No thought about the tyres till now.
What RRP said was that stock cedia cant take 7psi but i have no clue about it. ill get in touch with RRP tomorrow.
Old 25th April 2011, 01:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Personally, with a FWD, I would prefer 220 BHP over 350. I've driven a 350 BHP City and can't say that I enjoyed the experience (exciting as it was, but not something I'd want to live with).

IMHO, it's a myth that the more powerful a car, the more enjoyable it is to drive. Sure, I like fast cars, yet equally I like cars with balance. Give me a 180 - 200 BHP Octavia vRS any day, any time, any driving condition over a 300+ BHP City. Where the vRS would have superior dynamics (especially with bolt-on suspension mods), steering feel, braking and stability, the light Japanese car would be a torque-steering, fumbling around corners, unstable vehicle. For an enjoyable 600 km drive to Goa on the old roads, I'd take a vRS over a modded 300 BHP Jap any which day.

Again, the key here is balance and an all-rounded package. A vRS can easily handle 200 BHP with poise; poise which is a dream for over-tuned Japanese cars. If & when I turbo my Civic, it'll be more like an enjoyable 180 BHP than an uncontrollable 300.
You can't compare a 350hp OHC to a 350hp Cedia. The City is a fair bit lighter than the Cedia. Plus, wheelspin can be tamed as long as you have the right equipment. You don't necessarily have to have insane wheelspin in every gear. I assume you are talking about Jitu's car wrt the 350 hp City. Jitu's OHC is running Hondata which is (I believe) not capable of doing boost per rpm/gear. With other solutions, it is pretty easy to specify how much boost you want at X rpm in every gear. Basically closed-loop boost control. I'm sure the Haltech will have that feature.

And gauging the reaction of the car-owner's friend here, it's pretty obvious that they were unaware of the potential of the engine internals, which they might want to harness. What's wrong in giving them that knowledge?
Old 25th April 2011, 03:33   #25

Well the GT25 is small for this 2l engine,if looking for decent levels of performance,GT28R would do nicely for standard internals at the boost the cars been locked at.

Also, is it possible to get some performance figures like the 0-100kmph? A stock cedia does it in about 11 secs
Old 25th April 2011, 09:51   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And gauging the reaction of the car-owner's friend here, it's pretty obvious that they were unaware of the potential of the engine internals, which they might want to harness. What's wrong in giving them that knowledge?
Hey, apologies if my post came out wrong. Fully appreciate your sharing your knowledge on the potential of the proposed parts. My comment was more on the line of the kind of tune I'd prefer.

Quote:
You can't compare a 350hp OHC to a 350hp Cedia. The City is a fair bit lighter than the Cedia. Plus, wheelspin can be tamed as long as you have the right equipment. You don't necessarily have to have insane wheelspin in every gear.
I've driven plenty of hyper Civics & Accords also, as way back as 2001 - 2003 in the States, including on the track. These cars are simply lacking on the dynamics front, and have way more power than their chassis & suspension can handle. The only 300 BHP Japanese I've really enjoyed driving are the EVOs (more specifically, the EVO 6 and recently, the EVO X for our official review).

Again, for me, it's all about balance. While I don't like under-powered cars, I don't like cars that have more power than they can handle either. Again, I bring up the example of a 180 BHP vRS which is, honestly, sheer bliss on the open road....corners included.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:40   #27
BHPian

The fact that they have the fastest Cedias in the country and ofcourse the amount of R&D thats gone into their rally cars, im sure they can pull out a lot more that a 226.i think these numbers at to keep the car on the road rather than tailing and spinning.
More is not always better, lets say the idea of this build is just plain fun (and im not promoting street racing here) and maybe an ohc or a e-zen pulls up to you on the red light.he revs you rev , youre spinning and hes gone!! funny eh?? but then if he manages to get the bboost per gear setup done then yeeehaaah!!
had it been a drag build then errr maybe.

Last edited by wildchild4lyfe : 25th April 2011 at 10:48.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Man, I am glued to this thread. Will appreciated a detailed report of work that will be carried out along with pictures, if possible.

One thing even I cant understand is EVO??? Cedia??? Evo??? Cedia???

Question I have in mind is that even after spending 20 lac rupees along with time and effort, will the car be as reliable as a factory tuned car. Lets accept it, the support for such cars is almost non existant atleast in North India and in case of any issues, RRP people will have to travel to chandigarh. So, wont an EVO or even z4 (better after sales) be a better option if budget isnt a constraint. I know service support for an EVO too will be bad, with most Mitsu technicians just staring at the car without a clue. But then you get complete car (I'd give all that money for that brilliant AWD).
Old 25th April 2011, 16:16   #29
BHPian

RRP Cedia is putting out a whopping 280 at the wheels. I have seen the dyno charts and its pretty intimidating. its running a GT28R at quite high boost. I have also seen that car on the roads for quite a while. Its been featured in the QM mag i believe.

I am guessing that if they can pull that out of a car, and still have it running for quite a while, this build should be reliable street car. Cedia is a car with a lot of potential and I always wondered why it was not popular for Turboing, probably because of the high price tag and second hand examples are popping up now.

Cedia is known to hold 10-12psi on stock internals with a very good tune. Sweet spot for a daily driver would be 17-18psi the GT28R on a very good tune. Most Cedias running more boost and fully built blocks are about 300+ at the wheels.
Old 25th April 2011, 17:16   #30
BHPian

OT: Just for info sake, if any of the bangy boys are looking out for a used cedia, check the used car dealership on Lalbagh road. I cant recall the exact place but there was a theater, Balaji helmet shop and MTR house on that road. Saw a few vRS's there as well a coupla weeks ago!

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks