Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 14:01   #106
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Thar to THOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
You will appreciate Steve's holistic product development way which screams - "SIMPLICITY WILL GIVE SUCCESS". ....
Think!

Best regards,

Behram dhabhar
Dhabhar Sir,

I remember one thing which you said to us when you came to for Preliminary inspection for our BAJA car in 2010 at our college.
You said "keep it simple and it will have the chance to win"

I also remember you saying, make something that is so reliable that on the race day you just need to connect the battery and be ready for the challenge.

Coming back to the topic of Thor.

Some suggestions to Torqued:
1. Secure the mounting for the seats.
2. Get the 4 point harness (again with proper mounting points)
3. A permanent roll cage for the rear occupants.

Regards,
Shoeb
Old 24th October 2011, 14:36   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
dhabhar.behramji said - "simple jeep to look/use is real jeep" but reality all people (especially tbhp jeepers) say "jeep with bling/blings - min alloys, fat tyres, insane modifications is true jeep" i am confused on the extremities - so waiting simply for answers from jeep gurus. best regards, cheers.
Dear Shekaran - its a very good question you have asked. Please tell the "bling bling" gang to come to AKC / Examm / Avalakonda / Palar challenges. I'll ask Vinod to come with a bare bones Thar CRDe. Ask them how long those "bling bling" things lasted when they put the vehicles through the obstacles (if they put them through at all!). . I often see beautifully painted Jeeps going through Avalakonda / AKC / Examm. If you wanted to paint your Jeep beautifully, why bring it to Avalakonda? If you wanted to bring it to Avalakonda, why paint it beautifully? See the original CJ army vehicle? It is SIMPLICITY PERSONIFIED! That's the crux of the matter.

Dear Shoeb - thanks, I appreciate that you remember. A rally car must be ready 3 weeks before the rally. Then the battery terminals are removed, the car is covered and kept. On the rally day, you connect the battery terminals, go out there, drive, win and collect your prize! That's all. The preparation / reliability is so perfect, your bonnet is opened only for connecting the battery terminals. Its all in your mindset!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 16:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Shekaran - its a very good question you have asked. Please tell the "bling bling" gang to come to AKC / Examm / Avalakonda / Palar challenges. I'll ask Vinod to come with a bare bones Thar CRDe. Ask them how long those "bling bling" things lasted when they put the vehicles through the obstacles (if they put them through at all!). . I often see beautifully painted Jeeps going through Avalakonda / AKC / Examm. If you wanted to paint your Jeep beautifully, why bring it to Avalakonda? If you wanted to bring it to Avalakonda, why paint it beautifully? See the original CJ army vehicle? It is SIMPLICITY PERSONIFIED! That's the crux of the matter.

The preparation / reliability is so perfect, your bonnet is opened only for connecting the battery terminals. Its all in your mindset!
Behram Sir,

With due respect, I would like to mention that my Jeep, the LYNX did all obstacles at AKC and EXAMM effortlessly and came back with two bruises on the right and left grab handles, as it had landed on each side, on different obstacles and handles did not even dent with the full load of the Jeep.These handles were locally fabricated in 12 gauge pipe (formerly, RTC passenger hand rails on the bus ceiling).

I lost both the rear mud flaps on exits and slightly scratched rear bumper. The under belly took a lions share of bruises. Thats it!

All the 15+ Hyderabad Jeeps did ACK and EXAMM in style and they all were well done up. We love our Jeeps too much but use them the way a Jeep is supposed to be. Oh yes!..we do take of them.

Bling Jeeps are not the ones that can handle OTR's and wisely keep away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I also remember you saying, make something that is so reliable that on the race day you just need to connect the battery and be ready for the challenge.
SRK,

Now what should I say? Maybe because I am Behram Sir's adherent...I did just that, except the battery terminal part.

Until the night before we were to leave for Karjat/ Lonavala for AKC and EXAMM, the works on my Jeep were on. It had not even completed the run in period, I was counting on the 800kms from HYD-KARJAT for the event and I entered the LYNX in a 3 day off roading challenge.

It pays to have a wise Guru.

GOD!!!

How did I miss this thread?????

Wouldn't it be more appropriate in the 4X4 thread?

TORQUED, you did not build this one for off roading, did you?

Better not to enter that terrain, not good for your Jeep.
Regards,

EDIT: Seriously, was this was done to a THAR ???

Regards,

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th October 2011 at 10:57. Reason: Merging posts
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 19:41   #109
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
GOD!!!

How did I miss this thread?????

Wouldn't it be more appropriate in the 4X4 thread?

TORQUED, you did not build this one for off roading, did you?

Better not to enter that terrain, not good for your Jeep.
Regards,

EDIT: Seriously, was this was done to a THAR ???
No sir-ji.

Torqued clearly mentioned that it was not meant for off-roading.

It is just a Party vehicle mostly to be used within city limits.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:46   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
No sir-ji.

Torqued clearly mentioned that it was not meant for off-roading.

It is just a Party vehicle mostly to be used within city limits.

@SRK

You are obviously supporting Torqued hook line & sinker. Nothing wrong with that. But I think as a fellow car designer / engineer you should not shield his bad work. Rather I would think you should support him by correcting where he went wrong...coz he went horribly wrong at teh most important place. SAFETY.

I hope you take it in the right spirit. Time we call a spade a spade !!

Cheers
Old 24th October 2011, 20:57   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

@SRK

You are obviously supporting Torqued hook line & sinker. Nothing wrong with that. But I think as a fellow car designer / engineer you should not shield his bad work. Rather I would think you should support him by correcting where he went wrong...coz he went horribly wrong at teh most important place. SAFETY.

Cheers
Torqued made the point very clear early on in the thread. That this vehicle is purely for the road and not the trails.

It is of course unsafe on the road but its not exactly worse than the stock thar.

My only grouse is that a substantial amount of money was spent on so many things. And safety unfortunately did not figure in that list.

But at the end of the day, if the guy who built it is happy and guy for whom its built is happy. Then its a success.

Not my definition of success but for the interested parties.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 06:40   #112
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

@SRK

Cheers
@Ricky_63:
Sir,I am not taking any sides.
I just answered why this vehicle should not feature in the 4X4 thread.

Also, I never tried shielding Torqued for his work.
I did point out the flaws and also mentioned some suggestions.

May be I said things in a way that looked I supported him

But one point where I would support him is the hardwork done on it.
The concept was nice but there were problems in executing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

But at the end of the day, if the guy who built it is happy and guy for whom its built is happy. Then its a success.

Not my definition of success but for the interested parties.
Yes! Thats more important.

It doesn't matter what all we write here. If the person who has spent his money is happy then the story ends.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:51   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hmm, I am wondering, whether stock thar comes with front facing rear seats and seat belts? If not, then how is this contraption any more unsafe than the regular thar, It may look hideous(actually I don't even find the stock thar a looker either), but its not more or less unsafe than the out of factory thar.
I wonder why everyone chose to politely ignore this post In fact even I'm not aware if the stock Thar is any more or less safe than this one.

The only thing common in every page and in fact every alternate post is - It ain't safe, it looks hideous. I don't understand how saying the same thing over and over and over again makes it any better.

I'm sure the OP was looking for some feedback but damn!
Old 25th October 2011, 12:03   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post
Again, can i ask why is it actually wrong to put up a lounge on a 4x4 jeep..??? is there a rule against it? if so, i will take back all my comments.
It's not wrong. You don't have to take back all the comments.
The reason why I asked about the choice of vehicle is because In- city lounging does not really warrant the need for a 4x4 Jeep. As someone mentioned it would be great if this could reach places where normal "cars" cannot reach and then be a place to lounge around in. [I am thinking a remote place in Himachal with an RV like use of rear space ]
I don't know what the buyer wants to use it as and whether you tried to make it safer for him hence the query about the choice of vehicle.
I can also see that you are irked by the extreme reactions on the forum so not objectively answering any questions, so I am not going to bother with the same.

Peace.
Old 26th October 2011, 07:41   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED
7. 4 seats at back to make it a hangout car, you cant really hang out in a semi hard top jeep with just 2 seats at the back (its uncomfortable), now we can seat 6 people with comfort of a bigger car.

All in all, yes rear safety is a little compromised (people wont really fly out) but guys, start looking at the big picture, its easy to take one point and keep exaggerating it.....

Torqued,

Instead of copying the age old side facing bench at the back, same four seats fitted as two rear facing and two front facing with little elongated body would serve better (in all aspects including safety), don't you think?
(You can even fit cooler storages running on the sides - between the front and rear facing seats)!

BTW, I don't see anywhere in the requirements that this vehicle will never go off road (well, #7 says 'city use', but doesn't limit to it).

Point is, the "owner" (somehow, a pampered wealthy kid pops in my head; never mind) might take this for off-roading on rare occasions if not fore warned appropriately. Actually, even in on-road conditions it is better not to exceed 40 km/h if some one is sitting in the "lounge"!!
Old 26th October 2011, 22:05   #116
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Shoeb - thanks, I appreciate that you remember. A rally car must be ready 3 weeks before the rally. Then the battery terminals are removed, the car is covered and kept. On the rally day, you connect the battery terminals, go out there, drive, win and collect your prize! That's all. The preparation / reliability is so perfect, your bonnet is opened only for connecting the battery terminals. Its all in your mindset!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir , As Fazal bhai said we were atleast 15 Jeeps in total including 2 thars, One from Rock cruisers club Hyderabad and one from our club.
The only vehicle which broke down on an obstacle was your baby the Thar.Even with 33" tires , the clutch hydraulic pipe broke,Apparently this is a design flaw.My 1948 willys with a broken fan not even with one blade and a bad radiator made it safely from examm venue back to lonavala in that traffic jam.
Your baby broke her gearbox too in an simple otr, not palar, aavalakonda or Rubicon trail.Mahindra replaced the gear box under warranty.
Torsion bar failed even before offroading with company tires.That too was replaced.
Our painted Jeeps have much better finish than the shoddy thars paint job. No rust atleast.
We did aavalakonda , all the obstacles without a scratch better than the thar .
Jeeps are not about rust , torn seats etc. People cant afford, or dont know how to maintain them .

Happy Diwali.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 22:36   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
the clutch hydraulic pipe broke,Apparently this is a design flaw
Same happened to my Thar as well during OTR.

@Frankenstein, have you devised any method to avoid this issue in future OTR's?
Old 26th October 2011, 22:52   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Same happened to my Thar as well during OTR.

@Frankenstein, have you devised any method to avoid this issue in future OTR's?
Swami , i heard this issue happened at the hosur OTR too ,
the mahindra recovery team at AKC had mentioned this is a cost saving blunder. They infact mentioned its a problem with all the thars and noted it down to send it to their R&D.
No remedy , its a high pressure line and hope mahindra comes up with a revised design.

The only option to be on the safer side is to carry 1 or 2 spare
Old 27th October 2011, 01:38   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein

Swami , i heard this issue happened at the hosur OTR too ,
the mahindra recovery team at AKC had mentioned this is a cost saving blunder. They infact mentioned its a problem with all the thars and noted it down to send it to their R&D.
No remedy , its a high pressure line and hope mahindra comes up with a revised design.

The only option to be on the safer side is to carry 1 or 2 spare
Yep since then I am carrying spares as well as clutch oil. News travels fast. It was my thar that hit a rock and had the pipeline leaking in hosur OTR.
Old 27th October 2011, 15:32   #120
BHPian

i am hearing lot of safety issues regarding the modded thar, but i dont think modded or non modded one thar is safe in an accident. my negative comments were only because of the atrocious designing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks